Cricket

mav_9me

How good was Gill? I'm blown away. He looks as good as any batsman I've seen. He looks destined to be our best batsmen (not talking ever) while he is playing.

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
Might go for Jadeja over Pandya. Jadejas bowling might be a better option in Indian conditions and he is as handy a batsman as Pandya is.
I also thought it was mad to leave Jadeja out.
He is unlikely to have recovered from his injury by then to play, I guess.

kiristao

RK

The Indian batsmen will be rightly lauded for this win against odds. But let's not forget Siraj, who managed extract more from this pitch than most of the Aussie bowlers. Took the key wickets of Smith and Labuschagne and cleaned up the tail along with Shardul, which prevented Aus from taking a 380+ lead.
I loved watching Siraj and Pujara this series.
I think the height of the Aussie quicks worked against them in this match. Siraj could target the cracks at a reasonable length, for the Aussies it was further back of a length.

romufc

How good was Gill? I'm blown away. He looks as good as any batsman I've seen. He looks destined to be our best batsmen (not talking ever) while he is playing.
He is a class act. He plays with great composure, would like to see him integrated to the ODI team soon.

The Taurean

looks like a chipmunk
Nothing is so common as the wish to be remarkable.

zing

Zingle balls

Adam Collins is a very good summarizer. Enjoyed this chat with Harsha Bhogle.

nuanced

loves geopolitical narrative
I missed yesterday's play after tea. Does anyone know of a way to watch that session?

MDFC Manager

18 match England squad announced for first two matches. Pandya included. Nattu dropped. Ashwin, Bumrah and Kohli included.
I guess we'll see

Rohit
Gill
Pujara
Kohli
Rahane
Pant
Pandya
Ashwin
Kuldeep
Ishant
Bumrah

We play with four bowlers at home. Guess if they want five bowlers then play Axar or Sundar instead of Kuldeep and play Siraj instead of Pandya but I'd go with the above team.
I'd probably squeeze in Siraj and allow Bumrah some extra recovery time. Siraj could be handy with the Duke ball on fresher pitches in February.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
You forgot the hammering SA gave us in 1996 - 97. 100 & 66 in the first test at Durban; Sachin and Azhar's fabulous innings at Centurion in the 2nd test, which we still lost by massive score; Think the 3rd test at Wanderers was washed out - though Dravid got his maiden 100 and we were in a decent position, we would have found a way to lose that match too.
Oh yes, I remember Sachin scoring.. what was it 169? while batting with the number 11, only to get out to a great catch. This is better than Eden for me, simply because this has come away from home.

crappycraperson

Scout
Would have been great to see the 5th day of both these matches.

Greatest match win for India? I still think 2001 Eden. This one featured a B team away in a decider, but that was against a GOAT team on a massive winning streak, from a really dead lost position. I think this one goes with 2008 Perth and maybe a few other away wins (Durban 2010, the win in Australia in 2003 which were against better teams).

Greatest series win? Clearly.
2003 drawn series or Adelaide test win was good but is overrated. Oz batting line up was WC but neither Mcgrath or Warne played in that series. This win is miles better than that or even Perth win.

crappycraperson

Scout
Shubman... wow. I hope this guy turns out as good as hes threatening to be. He looks far better than Virat when he broke into the test scene in the West Indies. I'm excited to see how his career pans out.

The series against England is going to be a cracker. Can't see us easing past them. This is maybe the most competitive test cricket has been ever.
He is class apart. Brought into the team too late, from U19 days it was clear that he was next Indian batting superstar. Must have in Test and ODI team, at anyone's expense. You have to back him completely to establish himself. I see him at 3 for us in test team, to play the Pointing role a move away from the likes of Dravid/Pujara.

JohnnyKills

I missed yesterday's play after tea. Does anyone know of a way to watch that session?
There's a guy on YouTube who puts every ball online, but there are no breaks in between balls. It's just one delivery then the next straightaway - no rest for the eyes. Reminds me of the Simpsons when they watch the Battling Seizure Robots.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Are they playing with the Dukes ball? Best news I've heard all day? :)
They use there own one, don't they? SG? Even though half the Indian team have moaned about how crap they are.

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
Oh yes, I remember Sachin scoring.. what was it 169? while batting with the number 11, only to get out to a great catch. This is better than Eden for me, simply because this has come away from home.
Yeah he scored 169. The last man was Doda Ganesh and Adam Bacher took the catch out of nowhere.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
2003 drawn series or Adelaide test win was good but is overrated. Oz batting line up was WC but neither Mcgrath or Warne played in that series. This win is miles better than that or even Perth win.
Yes their bowling was awful. 2003 Aus batting 9/10 (every position great) bowling 2/10. This time bowling 8/10 batting 5/10? (because of Smith and the L guy, otherwise...). So you're right on that one.

But Perth 2008 they were at strength, they got the pitch made extra fast, 2-0 down in the series, 16 match winning streak, Harbhajan/Symonds and Bucknor at SCG, they were talking about Shaun Tait 160kph, 4-0, etc etc.

Maybe I got to see it so I prefer it!

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
One of the things people don't notice about Pant because of his attacking shots is that throughout the series everytime he batted he was just comfortable out there . Even when he was scoring 30's he wasn't getting beaten by much and just looked like he had extra time while batting . In the two series in Australia he has now faced over 120 balls from Cummins and hasn't got out to him even once .

I still remember that world cup semifinal when he walked in at 5/2 which became 5/3 & 20/4 and he just batted with unbelievable maturity & didn't look like he was being troubled . If Pant doesn't get caught in the deep in that semifinal India probably would have won .

P.S - It's weird how T20 teams are so matchup based but test teams still don't consider it too much. It's obvious that the Aussie attack just isn't the same against left handers . Pant,Jadeja and Sundar looked absolutely comfortable most of the time , even with England it was stokes who looked at ease so surprising that India didn't pick any lefthanders in the squad at all

nuanced

loves geopolitical narrative
There's a guy on YouTube who puts every ball online, but there are no breaks in between balls. It's just one delivery then the next straightaway - no rest for the eyes. Reminds me of the Simpsons when they watch the Battling Seizure Robots.
Guess I can put up with that! Do you remember the channel name by any chance?

sport2793

Nah, can’t say I’m sure. You’re probably right, but Smith (unlike Warner) doesn’t seem like a bad bloke.

I guess Cummins becomes the obvious choice then. @Cooksen?
It's funny you say that (Smith vs. Warner) as the IPL Warner actually comes across really well. Weird how the baggy green seems to change the brain for some folks.

sport2793

Fantastic stuff by India. Against all odds as well, although you also have to take into account the match situation also allowed India to win the series.
Australia have issues, even Starc and Lyon were ineffective. England definitely have a chance next winter.
India should comfortably beat England (although England are much better than lots of India supporters on here realize) and for the test World championships face New Zeeland in the summer at Lords. Conditions will favour the Kiwi seamers there so the batsman are going to be tested... I’m putting a few bob on NZ!
Not sure how you can say batting second at the Gabba as an away side allowed India to win the series.

crappycraperson

Scout
Not sure how you can say batting second at the Gabba as an away side allowed India to win the series.
All the talk of pitch on 5th day in SCG and Gabba not offering bowlers anything is hogwash. India's rookie attack did better than Oz's WC one on 4th day pitch in this test match.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Not for the faint hearted

I was checking Reddit and the amount of rubbish that's gets written about Pujji is just unbelievable. IPL for all it's pros has one significant con that people (especially the generation that started with IPL) don't understand what real cricket is.

crappycraperson

Scout
Yeah he scored 169. The last man was Doda Ganesh and Adam Bacher took the catch out of nowhere.
OMG Dodda Ganesh :lol: They players we had back then, Mohanty was another gem. .... I remember stanning Abey Kuruvilla hard when he first came on the scene. He also set up what should have been an easy run chase of 120 in Windies. How I was convinced that Vijay Bhardwaj would be the great Indian all rounder.
There was some charm to watching Indian team then, watching absolute garbage players like Salil Ankola in the same team as Sachin. Or "Fast" bowlers like Paras Mambhrey,

AshRK

Not for the faint hearted

I was checking Reddit and the amount of rubbish that's gets written about Pujji is just unbelievable. IPL for all it's pros has one significant con that people (especially the generation that started with IPL) don't understand what real cricket is.
Yes never understand people comparing differentl skill sets. What pujara can do, pollard or pandya cannot. Similarly what pandya can do, pujara cannot. Let us appreciate both the skills.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Where did I ever say that?!?! What I meant that a draw was no good for the Ozzies so they set attacking fields and tried to get the overs in, allowing the opportunity for India to take advantage. Similar sort of thing happened last test. Not taking anything away from India because with the players they were missing it has to go down as one of the greatest test series wins in history.

sport2793

Where did I ever say that?!?! What I meant that a draw was no good for the Ozzies so they set attacking fields and tried to get the overs in, allowing the opportunity for India to take advantage. Similar sort of thing happened last test. Not taking anything away from India because with the players they were missing it has to go down as one of the greatest test series wins in history.
I see, ya that makes more sense and is a valid point. Pretty crazy that this Aussie attack was so inept, apart from the always great Cummins.