Cristiano Ronaldo’s next club? | Al Nassr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revaulx

:lol: that's kinda the best part isn't it? He genuinely thought he'd storm out of United, announce to the world he wants CL football and expect a flood of clubs fighting over him.

Reality must have hit his ego pretty hard in the last 2 months. It just shows how BS the CL football line was though. He's now chosen more money over taking less and joining a CL club.
Well he thought he’d get a CL club last summer, following a season in which he scored a goodly number of goals for a dysfunctional side. No one was interested back then; money, tantrums, dressing room disharmony and lack of workrate off the ball all being likely red flags.

Thinking he’d suddenly have clubs clamouring for his signature six months later following a series of dismal performances is evidence of how deeply the delusion has taken hold. I don’t think we can totally rule out the possibility that he would have moved to a CL club on a reduced salary if any had expressed an interest in taking him on.

mctrials23

Not gonna lie, I would find it hard to turn down £200m ish to do anything for 2 years.

I think at this point everyone has made their mind up about him. You either think hes the goat and nothing he does will change that or you think hes a massive pillock who is one of the best ever but should have known when to stop.

I honestly think that flitting around smaller European clubs wouldn't do his legacy any more favours than going out to the middle east.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I don’t know why there are still people keep suggesting that. Both the criminal court and civil court has long dismissed the case, with no option of appeal. How could the accuser possibly do anything in future against the law of court?
He has no legal or criminal exposure but campaigners will make his life a living hell.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Not gonna lie, I would find it hard to turn down £200m ish to do anything for 2 years.

I think at this point everyone has made their mind up about him. You either think hes the goat and nothing he does will change that or you think hes a massive pillock who is one of the best ever but should have known when to stop.

I honestly think that flitting around smaller European clubs wouldn't do his legacy any more favours than going out to the middle east.
His legacy was scoring more CL goals which would stretch his record. That's what his main goal was.

The issue is he just isn't good enough to actually do that anymore unless he's being gifted easy chances (which even then he might no take now)

It's he'd have left at the end of the season, said he's had enough and took the money everybody would say fair play, great career he's earnt it.

It's the way he's burnt his bridges, shit on everybody and still ended up worse off that is so disappointing.

saivet

Don't most do that exact thing? His behaviour and attitude is so far away from normal, and quite funnily it's his downfall.
I guess they don't usually move to a new club to do that. Either become a bit part player at their current club or go for their last pay day outside of Europe and be the big name.

Pickle85

He has no legal or criminal exposure but campaigners will make his life a living hell.
No they wouldn't. Did they make Mike Tyson's life a living hell? Or Tupac's? There may be initial murmurings but the idea that there'd be some kind of prolonged campaign is ridiculous. The states have WAY bigger fish to fry.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Out of interest, will you be getting Al-Nassr number 7 jersey?
Nah. I think his football career is done once he confirmed his move to Al-Nassr. I won’t be bother to follow his games over there, or even any potential goals records there. It’s a purely commercial move and nothing else. I’d considered it as his retirement from professional football.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
No they wouldn't. Did they make Mike Tyson's life a living hell? Or Tupac's? There may be initial murmurings but the idea that there'd be some kind of prolonged campaign is ridiculous. The states have WAY bigger fish to fry.
You're talking about the 90s.

BorisManUtd

There's no shame in a soon to be 38 year old admitting he's finished. It is Ronaldo who has turned this into a big deal.
Exactly.

I personally believe there were few European clubs interested in Ronaldo in the summer, however he wasn't ready to accept lower wages and thought he'd still have clubs after him in January or next summer. Then plays terribly for United and Portugal at WC and no club would take him anymore even if he'd accept 10% of wages he was getting at United.

Would be kinda funny if Messi breaks his CL record. He needs another 12 goals to do that, I doubt he'll be able to do it though.

Deco10Legend

Supports
Fc Porto
Never been a fan of his arrogance, but he is Portugal’s best player ever.
Kind of sad seen him go like that, should have finished his career at United or Sporting, but yeh, that’s a lot of money, can’t blame him.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Saudi World Cup 2030 nailed on isn’t it

mshnsh

Messi is the GOAT, but he already is looking washed in the UCL against good opposition tbh.

He is hacking it in Ligue 1 with PSG, Ronaldo could hack it in France too if he was 2 years younger..

37 years old Messi won't be in Europe probably.
Was motm (with a great performance and goal) vs the team that topped the group. His only below par game was vs Juventus.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
There's no shame in a soon to be 38 year old admitting he's finished. It is Ronaldo who has turned this into a big deal.
Agreed. It’s his continuous frustration at managers for being left out or dropped (whilst struggling to keep up with the pace of games) that makes this move more significant than it should be.

And obviously Messi’s recent achievement makes Ronaldo’s move akin to waving the proverbial white flag.

mshnsh

If Ronaldo indeed does move to Saudi, it totally beats the purpose of the Piers Morgan interview. He may become wealthier by a couple of 100 million quid, but his legacy will be tainted even further.

He could and should have left United more gracefully by seeing out his contract instead of resorting to being a twat.

dinostar77

Fair play to him. Plenty of footballers have done the same to get the last big pay cheque.

Personally, going to Sporting would have been ideal from a football perspective.

What would have been REALLY interesting is if he had decided to sign for one of the big brasilian or argentine clubs and try to win the copa libatordores. Only 12 players have ever done that and none have been european.

His CL record will get demolished in a few years. Especially with champions league going to a league format from 2026 onwards.

dinostar77

All that money to sportswash Saudi Arabia. This isn’t a Messi vs Ronaldo thing, Messi did it too, but doesn’t make it better. Bit like them both being tax cheats. Poor show.
When did messi sign for a middle eastern club?

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
If Ronaldo indeed does move to Saudi, it totally beats the purpose of the Piers Morgan interview. He may become wealthier by a couple of 100 million quid, but his legacy will be tainted even further.

He could and should have left United more gracefully by seeing out his contract instead of resorting to being a twat.
The worst thing is that if they are willing to pay him that much, they obviously would have been willing to pay us a big transfer fee. His bullshit screwed us out of that.

Siorac

He’s literally being bought by the government. If that’s not being a slave I dunno what is. Ironic.
Dunno about your definition of a slave but traditionally, it's certainly not someone being paid 160m.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
All that money to sportswash Saudi Arabia. This isn’t a Messi vs Ronaldo thing, Messi did it too, but doesn’t make it better. Bit like them both being tax cheats. Poor show.
They want to win the 2030 WC bid, and Messi has already signed as an ambassador like you have alluded to.

He's in the last years of his career so why not take the money? He's won everything at domestic level.

Criticise Ronnie all you want, I haven't liked the guy well before he left United in 2009. Don't pretend like you wouldn't accept that contract either. Nobody would decline a £170m a year contract.

Also, many people are quick to hate on the gulf region, and gulf states in general but have never visited. We form our opinion purely based on the media. I've visited its very nice, very hospitable, Saudi obviously has a very patchy record.

Reality for Saudi, for Qatar for any oil rich states is the following... it's not how long the oil reserves last, it's how long the world actually needs them. It's nonsense to have ~220 years of oil reserves when the world probably doesn't need as much oil in the next 30 years, maybe for plastics and a few other things?

Fusion was achieved a few weeks ago for the first time in a very small scale, billions are poured into private companies now and we'll probably be there in 10-20 years, with commercial plants that follow.

The world won't be reliant on fossil fuels as it is today, logistically we will have things like electric / autonomous cars where we don't own cars but its subscription based where we get picked up and taken places.

We won't be reliant on that, so gulf states need to expand fast use their money into things like sports, real estate, education and build other industries/economies which Saudi is doing now with tourism, with buying football clubs for instance.

They have to invest in the right assets, many of these countries had nothing before oil so they have a golden opportunity to get the best infrastructure in a very small time window. We're talking one generation here, so they have to import labour, skills, everything.

These guys know they need to invest their money in the right places and using such a global name like Ronaldo is worth £170m a year. Even if his legs have gone, I think Saudi might even try to compete with MLS in the long run.

We also live in countries that colonised the world historically so we're in no real position to judge, and the products we buy are invested by the same investment groups that politically we'd be completely opposed to.

I think 99% of people would take that £170m a year, I'd be on a flight to Riyadh if I got offered that kind of money.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's sad, really sad.
Why is it sad? I think his overestimation of himself was amusing during the fag end of his time and that moronic interview so feck him. But objectively speaking there's nothing wrong with him playing in the middle east to finish his career.

mshnsh

Fair play to him. Plenty of footballers have done the same to get the last big pay cheque.

Personally, going to Sporting would have been ideal from a football perspective.

What would have been REALLY interesting is if he had decided to sign for one of the big brasilian or argentine clubs and try to win the copa libatordores. Only 12 players have ever done that and none have been european.

His CL record will get demolished in a few years. Especially with champions league going to a league format from 2026 onwards.
The thing is that he is signing for them because no one else wants him not out of choice. It is simply a disastrous end for him from a football point of view. He did the interview not to sign for a retirement club but to play for a champions league club.

From a financial point of view, it is something else. Anyone at retirement age would do the same.

cyberman

Why is it sad? I think his overestimation of himself was amusing during the fag end of his time and that moronic interview so feck him. But objectively speaking there's nothing wrong with him playing in the middle east to finish his career.
If anything it’s perfect. He’s cashing out at over a billion fecking pounds now at 38 years old. It’s insane.
I’m also wondering if 6b for Saudi money to buy United is really that much of an obstacle if OT does need rebuilt on top of that after this.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
The thing is that he is signing for them because no one else wants him not out of choice. It is simply a disastrous end for him from a football point of view.
I disagree completely.

Ronaldo signing for a Saudi club is similar to Pele signing for New York Cosmos.

It does nothing to change opinions on Ronaldo, he's won everything at domestic level, 2 titles with Portugal.

He's 37 not 28.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I disagree completely.

Ronaldo signing for a Saudi club is similar to Pele signing for New York Cosmos.

It does nothing to change opinions on Ronaldo, he's won everything at domestic level, 2 titles with Portugal.

He's 37 not 28.
it does and clearly has with many folks

Also the way he went about it was damaging

Status
Not open for further replies.