5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

troylocker

Mane has been over/underperforming in a random pattern for 8 seasons, with an average value of 0.62 and standard deviation of 3.04. I hope Klopp and his coaches don't see a number that falls well within that random noise pattern and think it's something meaningful.
Do you think a players ability to finish is a constant? It could be a technical thing, a mental/confidence thing, he could have hot or cold streaks and so on (all possible to work on). All these numbers do, is indicate that his finishing has not been as good as could have/should have been in a given period. I am pretty sure both Liverpools and our coaching staffs are analysing this almost to death to find out how they can help the players improve their outputs, and I'm also pretty sure both Ronaldo, Mane and Jota knows they've been missing more chances than they should this season.

royalewithcheese2006

Supports
A Director of Football
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/17408664/manchester-united-west-ham-verdict-ronaldo-greenwood/amp/

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/17407906/man-utd-ratings-telles-dalot-ronaldo-west-ham/amp/

if you are not going to play to Ronaldo's strengths as a goal-scorer then please don't play (or start) him at all because hes just getting relentless criticism for following the managers tactical instructions..

he was scoring loads of goals for Ole :rolleyes:

like I said Ronaldo will probably more likely leave the club in the summer if this continues (him not scoring goals and getting criticism after EVERY game) so no point playing him if he's not scoring goals as that's the only way he can have a good game in the media and press's eyes to avoid criticism. Even the fans.

Start Cavani instead with Ronaldo having sub cameo appearances and for the club to let mutually Ronaldo leave at the end of the season. I think everyone will be happier then.. Including Ronaldo himself, his backstabbing teammates who leaked the Athletic article, people on this forum and the media/press. Ronaldo can go to a club who will tactically play to his strengths. Like when Sir Alex told the Manchester United players to pass the ball to Van Persie as he will win us the league. Nobody is obviously telling Greenwood to pass to Ronaldo.
SonyaCross - the wingman that we all deserve. Regardless of how well you are doing in life, the man ain't happy unless you score.

Ronaldo had an important contribution for the goal, worked harder than he's usually done in most games and it actually looked like he's taken Ralf's quotes positively rather than sulking which is exactly how you would want our players to behave.
We won, controlled the game better and you are still going around collecting articles from garbage sources like the sun to prove some weird point. What's it going to take for you to stop whinging?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/17408664/manchester-united-west-ham-verdict-ronaldo-greenwood/amp/

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/17407906/man-utd-ratings-telles-dalot-ronaldo-west-ham/amp/

if you are not going to play to Ronaldo's strengths as a goal-scorer then please don't play (or start) him at all because hes just getting relentless criticism for following the managers tactical instructions..

he was scoring loads of goals for Ole :rolleyes:

like I said Ronaldo will probably more likely leave the club in the summer if this continues (him not scoring goals and getting criticism after EVERY game) so no point playing him if he's not scoring goals as that's the only way he can have a good game in the media and press's eyes to avoid criticism. Even the fans.

Start Cavani instead with Ronaldo having sub cameo appearances and for the club to let mutually Ronaldo leave at the end of the season. I think everyone will be happier then.. Including Ronaldo himself, his backstabbing teammates who leaked the Athletic article, people on this forum and the media/press. Ronaldo can go to a club who will tactically play to his strengths. Like when Sir Alex told the Manchester United players to pass the ball to Van Persie as he will win us the league. Nobody is obviously telling Greenwood to pass to Ronaldo.
I think the funniest bit is that you think "pass the ball to Ronaldo" is actually a tactical instruction.

Jokes aside, I think you see this very superficially. The criticism regarding Ronaldo primarily revolves around him not being suitable to modern pressing systems anymore. Whether or not that is true is a different story but you can't just "play to Ronaldo's strengths" if that means you have to play a tactic that you don't deem competitive anymore.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I'm glad he's getting this break. I think we should use him in the PL mainly for him to get his rhythm back. He needs to be ready for the champions league. A Hungry Ronaldo for an underdog champions league team. It's gonna be a lethal combo!

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I have absolutely no idea what this stat means but I have heard of statsbomb. They put a lot of thought into their stats, don’t they?

And this looks… very bad indeed.
Well at least Ronaldo's off the ball movement is world class right?

NoPace

I think without Greenwood we're going to look for him a ton and he'll get to 20 goals in the Prem, but not sure we'll be any better for it. He was furious at Greenwood always shooting and never hitting him at the back post.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I think without Greenwood we're going to look for him a ton and he'll get to 20 goals in the Prem, but not sure we'll be any better for it. He was furious at Greenwood always shooting and never hitting him at the back post.
I think not only Ronaldo is furious, Bruno and other teammates were seen furious couple of times too when Greenwood decide go for a shot himself at impossible situation and feck it up. But problem is, can Sancho do a job for us? 2 goals 0 assist in 23 games isn't encourage stats.
We will have to see.

United in sin

I think not only Ronaldo is furious, Bruno and other teammates were seen furious couple of times too when Greenwood decide go for a shot himself at impossible situation and feck it up. But problem is, can Sancho do a job for us? 2 goals 0 assist in 23 games isn't encourage stats.
We will have to see.
Ronaldo is a shoot on sight attacker himself and hasn't been great at it. Why all the blame on Greenwood? Ronaldo presently has the second most shots at goal in the league with not much to show for it

NoPace

We will have to see.
I think Sancho will do fine if given a run of games and Cristiano up top as a target.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Ronaldo is a shoot on sight attacker himself and hasn't been great at it. Why all the blame on Greenwood? Ronaldo presently has the second most shots at goal in the league with not much to show for it
This is not a blame if you read it through, just a reply on who is being "furious" with wasted chance.

KeanoMagicHat

We will have to see.
Sancho has a crazy number of assists from his Dortmund days, I wouldn’t be too concerned long term about his ability to set up other players once he gets settled.

shamans

Terrible comparison. Ronaldo often interlinks play in the final third to create space for a pass (the last rashford goal). Greenwood was just taking the piss with shots

United in sin

Terrible comparison. Ronaldo often interlinks play in the final third to create space for a pass (the last rashford goal). Greenwood was just taking the piss with shots
I think you're being biased towards Ronaldo here. Again, Ronaldo has the second most attempts at goal in the league after Salah. His shots outside the box have mostly been tame and he still goes for them. Greenwood is by far our best shooter. Ronaldo's off the ball work and interplay has been very inconsistent. At times it's been outright atrotious.

No one is better than Greenwood at making space for the shot in tight spaces, and most of his goals for united have come this way. He simply causes havoc in the box and hits the target more often than not, with good decision making and the added bonus of his explosiveness.

Greenwood has been the bigger threat to opponents in the box and has made most of his goals from nothing whereas Ronaldo expects Greenwood and others to pass to him at every opportunity, and his body language when he doesn't get what he wants doesn't help anyone.

The United

Who has the most shots at goal? Greenwood?!

United in sin

Where does Greenwood fit in? At least with the minutes played. It certainly seemed like he shot a lot. Well, in the last few games.
Greenwood has 48 shots total in the PL, 19 on target. That's 39% on target in 1281 minutes or 14.23 full games.

Ronaldo has 63 shots total, 22 on target, 34% on target in 1459 minutes/16.21 full games

Greenwoods 48 overall attempts put him at 11th overall in the league behind the likes of Raphina, Trossard, Toney, Bowen, and Antonio and some you'd expect like Mane and Jota.

Marwood

Not sure any of that qualifies him as a genius. This part of him is overplayed a bit. He's looked after himself but his ability and natural physical gifts are primarily what's kept him going. Like all other players he's still lost that agility and lightness of foot.

Other players achieve similar longevity but get nowhere near the praise. Mourinho is 35 and playing CM in the Premiership. Just as impressive to me. I still think Giggs was at least as good physically at 37.

shamans

Not sure any of that qualifies him as a genius. This part of him is overplayed a bit. He's looked after himself but his ability and natural physical gifts are primarily what's kept him going. Like all other players he's still lost that agility and lightness of foot.

Other players achieve similar longevity but get nowhere near the praise. Mourinho is 35 and playing CM in the Premiership. Just as impressive to me. I still think Giggs was at least as good physically at 37.
The extent people go to dismiss Ronaldo nowadays :lol:

Yes Ronaldo at 35 was playing at the same level as Moutinho at 35. Also, Giggs was praised quit a bit so I'm not sure what you're on about. No one said Ronaldo was the only one but he's one of a handful of players in the history of the game which include Zlatan, Giggs, Maldini to name a few.

SirAF

Ageist

As for the rest, I think @shamans is spot on. Ronaldo is not the only one but he is in exclusive company.

Marwood

The extent people go to dismiss Ronaldo nowadays :lol:

Yes Ronaldo at 35 was playing at the same level as Moutinho at 35. Also, Giggs was praised quit a bit so I'm not sure what you're on about. No one said Ronaldo was the only one but he's one of a handful of players in the history of the game which include Zlatan, Giggs, Maldini to name a few.
I love Ronaldo the player. I'm just saying the praise for playing at 37 is a bit over the top. Nowhere near dimissing him. Easy on the drama queen stuff.

Rossa

I love Ronaldo the player. I'm just saying the praise for playing at 37 is a bit over the top. Nowhere near dimissing him. Easy on the drama queen stuff.
Not playing at 37, but being amongst the best players in the world at 37. He clocked the fastest recorded speed in the Euros.

The comparisons with Gifgs are interesting, but Giggs is lauded for his longevity. He took care of his body, started doing yoga and was always one of the fittest in the squad, but he didn’t play as much as Ronaldo at 37, and arguably not at the same level. In terms of physical talent, Giggs was both a fair bit faster and certainly more agile coming through as a young player than Ronaldo was. Ronaldo worked his socks off getting to where he is. Nobody denies his professionalism. Not losing that hunger at 37 is quite something!

Marwood

Not playing at 37, but being amongst the best players in the world at 37. He clocked the fastest recorded speed in the Euros.

The comparisons with Gifgs are interesting, but Giggs is lauded for his longevity. He took care of his body, started doing yoga and was always one of the fittest in the squad, but he didn’t play as much as Ronaldo at 37, and arguably not at the same level. In terms of physical talent, Giggs was both a fair bit faster and certainly more agile coming through as a young player than Ronaldo was. Ronaldo worked his socks off getting to where he is. Nobody denies his professionalism. Not losing that hunger at 37 is quite something!
I'm not sure he is amongst the best players in the world anymore but that's probably a different discussion.

Giggs might not have been playing at the same level at 37 as Ronaldo but that's because he never played at the same level as Ronaldo. You have to take into account their initial talent level and judge it relative to that.

I mean it kind of gets overlooked that these guys like Ronaldo, Messi, Maldini were better than most older players their age because they were always better players. It stands to reason.

That's what I meant initially about their talent being the key factor. It's testament to how skilled they are/were.

The physical side of it I think gets overhyped a bit with Ronaldo. Obviously not doubting his professionalism, we're all aware of that. Nor am I saying it has no contribution to his longevity.

But plenty of players carry on playing at the highest levels mid 30's and up. They won't be as good as Ronaldo but like I say, they never were.

I mentioned Moutinho still going in CM at 35. Incredible really but nobody really goes on about him being a genius because he's still playing at Prem level in a more physically demanding position. Relative to his initial talent no less of an achievement than Ronaldo.

Robson was here till he was about 37. I think Mark Hughes was still playing in the Premiership at around 38. Vardy is 35, still in the Prem, still physically very good.

Not exactly the same I know but we talk about Ronaldo's physical longevity like it's a rare bird when it's not really.

Last edited:

the_cliff

I'm not sure he is amongst the best players in the world anymore but that's probably a different discussion.

Giggs might not have been playing at the same level at 37 as Ronaldo but that's because he never played at the same level as Ronaldo. You have to take into account their initial talent level and judge it relative to that.

I mean it kind of gets overlooked that these guys like Ronaldo, Messi, Maldini were better than most older players their age because they were always better players. It stands to reason.

That's what I meant initially about their talent being the key factor. It's testament to how skilled they are/were.

The physical side of it I think gets overhyped a bit with Ronaldo. Obviously not doubting his professionalism, we're all aware of that. Nor am I saying it has no contribution to his longevity.

But plenty of players carry on playing at the highest levels mid 30's and up. They won't be as good as Ronaldo but like I say, they never were.

I mentioned Moutinho still going in CM at 35. Incredible really but nobody really goes on about him being a genius because he's still playing at Prem level in a more physically demanding position. Relative to his initial talent no less of an achievement than Ronaldo.

Robson was here till he was about 37. I think Mark Hughes was still playing in the Premiership at around 38. Vardy is 35, still in the Prem, still physically very good.

Not exactly the same I know but we talk about Ronaldo's physical longevity like it's a rare bird when it's not really.
Ibrahimovic is 40 years old had a ruptured acl at 36 and had the highest goals per 90 last season in the serie A.

Marwood

Ibrahimovic is 40 years old had a ruptured acl at 36 and had the highest goals per 90 last season in the serie A.
Yesh Ibra as well but it isn't just the big names. If anything it's a little easier for them. They have that extremely high talent level to rely on.

There's a good number of other players, relative to their own lesser talent level, showing great physical longevity. They never get a mention for that.

Guapa

I'm expecting a big performance from him tomorrow.Two goals.

Pintu

I don’t think anyone had a higher goal/90 than Atalanta’s Muriel last season. His numbers were insane. 22 goals in a little bit less time playing than Zlatan.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
So seems like we’re back go “only god knows” territory again. Gonna wait to see who the new manager us before deciding if he stays or leaves.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Greenwood has 48 shots total in the PL, 19 on target. That's 39% on target in 1281 minutes or 14.23 full games.

Ronaldo has 63 shots total, 22 on target, 34% on target in 1459 minutes/16.21 full games

Greenwoods 48 overall attempts put him at 11th overall in the league behind the likes of Raphina, Trossard, Toney, Bowen, and Antonio and some you'd expect like Mane and Jota.
Oh well, so Greenwood with 6 goals in 48 attempts (0.125 goals per attempt) vs Ronaldo 14 goals in 63 attempts (0.22 goals per attempt), and yet Greenwood is by far our best shooter according to you, because he has higher shot on target %… Ok, quite interesting point of view, never heard of.

Last edited:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

It’s rare bird when you also consider the number of games he played season by season for his club and country, which is in avg over 50+ games per season at the highest level, even at age 33-36.

near 33: 54 goals in 55 games
near 34: 31 goals in 47 games
near 35: 48 goals in 52 games
near 36: 46 goals in 59 games

Also, if we count total no.of games played in professional career with all the players you’ve listed here:

Ronaldo - 1104
Maldini - 1028
Giggs - 1027
Ibrahimov - 974
Moutinho - 921
Hughes - 871
Robson - 832
Vardy - 484

Ronaldo already has an comfortable lead despite not likely to retire anytime soon, and looks like he is going to play another 150+ more at the very least.

Consider all of the above, I think his physical longevity is indeed not overhyped.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.