5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RepardReece

Yeah, bro, Ronaldo, the lone striker, is somehow responsible for our entire defence and midfield to collapse in a spectacular fashion just because he didn't mindlessly press the keeper for no reason, showcased here:

Something as a bonus before Ronaldo was even in the team:

Yep, that's Ronaldo's fault all right. I wonder how this clown even won 5 CL's, 3 of them back to back when he literally has the "ability" to make every player turn into a disorganized mess, incapable of playing even basic football. Yep, that's Ronaldo. A joke of a footballer. Djemba Djemba, Bebe? WhO? Ronaldo has been the worst Manchester United player in history and that's a fact! He even has the ability to make United players play like shit EVEN when he is not in the team! Amazing stuff. I'd go even as far as to say Ronaldo is clearly responsible for every bad thing in the world, there's no other way. Some guy kills another person somewhere? That's Ronaldo's fault for not pressing the goalkeeper and ruining his day! Utterly despicable person that guy Ronaldo is. Sigh... At this point you're either massively wumming or you have some serious personal issues with Ronaldo. It's actually insane if you believe any of this shit you keep spouting.
:lol::lol::lol::lol: Post of the day, thank you for this. Absolutely spot on.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I give you articles, I give you footballers, I give you stats, I give you videos, yada yada yada :lol:
And again I beat you and you said nothing back! One article by bosnich saying that Robaldo is just a goalscorer and no tactic at all vs my 30+ with Bonnuci, Schweinsteiger, Darren Bent, Crouch, Sutton and Micah Richards.

The quality and quantity of article is unreal.

Yadada yada !

Let's noq build around Ronaldo because he has always been a central single goalscorer for United, Real Madrid and Juventus!

:drool:

Bebestation

Insulting another member
Yeah, bro, Ronaldo, the lone striker, is somehow responsible for our entire defence and midfield to collapse in a spectacular fashion just because he didn't mindlessly press the keeper for no reason, showcased here:

Yep, that's Ronaldo's fault all right. I wonder how this clown even won 5 CL's, 3 of them back to back when he literally has the "ability" to make every player turn into a disorganized mess, incapable of playing even basic football. Yep, that's Ronaldo. A joke of a footballer. Djemba Djemba, Bebe? WhO? Ronaldo has been the worst Manchester United player in history and that's a fact! He even has the ability to make United players play like shit EVEN when he is not in the team! Amazing stuff. I'd go even as far as to say Ronaldo is clearly responsible for every bad thing in the world, there's no other way. Some guy kills another person somewhere? That's Ronaldo's fault for not pressing the goalkeeper and ruining his day! Utterly despicable person that guy Ronaldo is. Sigh... At this point you're either massively wumming or you have some serious personal issues with Ronaldo. It's actually insane if you believe any of this shit you keep spouting.
You literally took a picture of when our front line was in line last season and said they play 424! :lol:

What an idiot.

By that accord then Liverpool play 4 forward vs United too in the first goal because Keita and Arnold got forward too from the picture you showed with United's defence :lol:

Just because players get forward now everyone plays 424 :lol:

Making up your own stuff now are we:drool:

Sviken

You literally took a picture of when our front line was in line last season and said they play 424! :lol:

What an idiot.

By that accord then Liverpool play 4 forward vs United too in the first goal because Keita and Arnold got forward too from the picture you showed with United's defence :lol:

You're hopeless.

RepardReece

So are you because Ronaldo is in your hopes at the age of 36.

He is not in his prime anymore. He was not even worth his wages for Juventus :(
Take a look at the images @Sviken has kindly posted, do you see an issue with the defence in them pictures?

This is a simple yes or no

Edit: Alright seeming you elect to ignore like an immature kid, I'll point out that the answer is clearly yes.

That kinda implies we had these defensive issues pre-Ronaldo. He is not the issue. The tactical setup and defensive line is.

It amazes me how you can blame a striker for our defensive weaknesses.

Last edited:

tomaldinho1

@Bebestation now is the time to just hold your hands up. if you have issues with Ronaldo, keep the criticism within the bounds of reality.

Bebestation

@Bebestation now is the time to just hold your hands up. if you have issues with Ronaldo, keep the criticism within the bounds of reality.
No again I just proved it Liverpool also play 4 forward with his own picture :lol:

No one once complained about 424 last season. Just picked a picture where our forwards were in line and called in a 424 and I did the same with Liverpool.

I've got professional footballers backing me up.

You just got each other okay?

So hold your hands up and do whatever you want with each other - I got most of the professional footballers on my side.

The Bonnucci's - the Schweinsteigers, the damn BBc's and the sky sports :drool:

Hands up I give up :drool:

LoneStar

Blaming a forward for our abysmal defending stats is a new level of delusion here. Our record would be worse even if we are playing with 10 men. You can argue about that the overall attacking play isnt as good. Or that we are even better without Ronaldo to score goals. But this is just stupid.

I wonder who these fans will blame after Pogba and Ronaldo leave. Everyone is to blame, other than the manager and the coaching staff. Embarassing, this.

tomaldinho1

No again I just proved it Liverpool also play 4 forward with his own picture :lol:

No one once complained about 424 last season. Just picked a picture where our forwards were in line and called in a 424 and I did the same with Liverpool.

I've got professional footballers backing me up.

You just got each other okay?

So hold your hands up and do whatever you want with each other - I got most of the professional footballers on my side.

The Bonnucci's - the Schweinsteigers, the damn BBc's and the sky sports :drool:

Hands up I give up :drool:
  1. Literally go look in the Bruno thread form last year, it was always an issue as he played as an SS and that made 4 up top all playing on the shoulder.
  2. Bonucci doesn't say that, he says Juve took their foot off the gas thinking Ronaldo could win them everything, they also have a vastly better coach right now.
  3. Schweinsteiger isn't criticising Ronaldo, he is criticising Ole - his entire point is what everyone is trying to tell you, the Ronaldo isn't a pressing forward and never has been so why expect him to do that.
    1. What makes this more bemusing is we have never implemented a pressing system so how can Ronaldo make something worse that doesn't exist??

BlueHaze

What an idiot.

You out of anyone should not call others that...

Highfather_24

Failing to understand how Ronaldo is responsible for coaching issues in our press. Heck, if he is so bad at pressing why is Ole wanting us to play a high press game? How is that Ronaldo's fault?

United in sin

Juve got progressively worse because they made bad signings after bad signings. Throughout most of Allegri's tenure they rode on Conte and Marotta's success. You can see now how hard Allegri is struggling now
This is harsh. Allegri didn't have the most aesthetically pleasing style but he is a tactically solid manager who surpassed Conte in terms of sheer achievements and titles with Juventus.

He fared better in Europe too. He's Juventus third most successful manager after Trapattoni and Lippi. Neither of these two won 5 scudettos on the trot. It's disingenuous to suggest Allegri was merely riding on his predecessor's success. He's struggling at the moment because he inherited the club in a mess after Pirlo's waste of a season. The club didn't even fully back him in summer. He's effectively overseeing a painful rebuild

Bebestation

1. Literally go look in the Bruno thread form last year, it was always an issue as he played as an SS and that made 4 up top all playing on the shoulder.
  2. Bonucci doesn't say that, he says Juve took their foot off the gas thinking Ronaldo could win them everything, they also have a vastly better coach right now.
  3. Schweinsteiger isn't criticising Ronaldo, he is criticising Ole - his entire point is what everyone is trying to tell you, the Ronaldo isn't a pressing forward and never has been so why expect him to do that.
    1. What makes this more bemusing is we have never implemented a pressing system so how can Ronaldo make something worse that doesn't exist??
And the other people? The other footballers? The other news articles? The youtube videos? The stats. The heat maps? Everyone is saying that Ronaldo not being a pressing forward has caused us a problem.

Even Schweinsteiger.

captaincantona

Promised myself I wouldn’t get sucked back in but here it goes.

Team Ronaldo on here are not engaging with the argument...perhaps because of how it’s being put across but Even so....

Your Europa League image is bollox. We are IN possession in that image...while it’s not an ideal strategy to go with one of the plays that has worked for us this season is Pogbas almost no look pass over the top and Bruno running from deep. This has fuk all to do with what we shape up like when we lose the ball as 6 defenders including the 2 CMs should be enough to hold the fort if we lose it so as not to get caught on the break. (PS-I know that ain’t Pogba on the ball in your pic- I am just using the analogy to indicate how Bruno joining the frontline while in possession is not unusual and has worked...see Leeds goal.)

The issue is that Ronny needs wants demands to play in top level games and Ole is not in a position to leave him out. Image, reputation or status whatever- no one could argue that against better opposition Cavani would not be a better option as we will inevitably have less of the ball. When Ronny plays we are a man down when we don’t have the ball(see Liverpool back line given the freedom of old Trafford, Atalanta too) and against good sides you need to be compact first or get ripped apart. Ole didn’t do this, Ole pushed Bruno on so we had no clue who was triggering a press, Ronaldo was static, Greenwood and Rashford were unsure if they were pressing keeper, centre half or fullback, Bruno was pressing FOR Ronaldo, our midfield two were disjointed Trying to plug the gap left by Bruno. The rest is history.

Point being, when OUT of possession Ronaldo is about as useless as a waterproof teabag. You can’t just overcompensate by moving other players around as it’s chaos- you need to play exclusively to accommodate him. We didn’t and I would contend...we shouldn’t...

players like Rashford, Greenwood, Sancho, Bruno are too good to ignore their strengths to feed one striker.essentially, a team with Ronaldo starting is restricted to playing in a certain way in order to get the best out of him not out of the team and his goals alone ain’t enough to win things at the top level (PL or CL). He has waned. His touch is terrible and he is very weak on the ball and has linked well with no one on the team. He is a supreme goal scorer...that’s it.It would take a seriously dominant team who are completely confident on the ball anywhere on the pitch to not suffer from Ronnys lack of doing anything except in the oppositions 18 yard box.

Last edited:

Highfather_24

The issue is that Ronny needs wants demands to play in top level games and Ole is not in a position to leave him out. Image, reputation or status whatever- no one could argue that against better opposition Cavani would not be a better option as we will inevitably have less of the ball. When Ronny plays we are a man down when we don’t have the ball(see Liverpool back line given the freedom of old Trafford, Atalanta too) and against good sides you need to be compact first or get ripped apart. Ole didn’t do this, Ole pushed Bruno on so we had no clue who was triggering a press, Ronaldo was static, Greenwood and Rashford were unsure if they were pressing keeper, centre half or fullback, Bruno was pressing FOR Ronaldo, our midfield two were disjointed Trying to plug the gap left by Bruno. The rest is history.
As you yourself said, it was Ole's tactics, his pressing tactics, or lack thereof, that resulted in our team falling apart. If as a manager you know your CF cannot press, why engage in a high press knowing it will fall apart since pressing is a co-ordinated thing? You cannot ask slow CBs to play a highline and then blame the CBs when the inevitable happens. Ronaldo's game has huge flaws, but he is still top 5 CF in the world. Its the managers job to set the team up in a way that hides his flaws and plays to his strengths. Any tactically competent manager can do that, they would obviously only press in our own half and try to hit on transitions.

As for the bolded, Ole did leave him out for Everton. But then pundits threw a hissy fit about it, and SAF made things infinitely worse sadly.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Aren't you doing the same thing by stating that the problems are caused by the others and not Ronaldo?

And while there's a focus on everyone (see the Maguire thread for example), I think some shed light on Ronaldo more as he's A) a new addition that we chose to the existing squad and hence judging that recent decision made by the manager/club B) he's a big name (they're always scrutinised more, that's life) player on enormous wages and we could have gone for CMs instead if we wanted to.
Well I did recognise his lack of pressing, which contribute part of problems we have. But again he has also won many valuable points too, which has been largely ignored here when people are pointing their fingers. But I didn't go that far and blame everything on any specific players, the same way we have many here who is trying blame almost everything on Ronaldo.

I do think our manager and coaching team is our biggest problems though.

Last edited:

Foxbatt

Before the game both Scholes and Owen showed the Leicester game and said that Greenwood don't press and Liverpool would take advantage of that.
The crux of the matter is with Rashford and Greenwood we are not a pressing team. Add Ronaldo to it and it makes it worse.
You could have put Cavani in and Liverpool will score that goal the same way.

captaincantona

As you yourself said, it was Ole's tactics, his pressing tactics, or lack thereof, that resulted in our team falling apart. If as a manager you know your CF cannot press, why engage in a high press knowing it will fall apart since pressing is a co-ordinated thing? You cannot ask slow CBs to play a highline and then blame the CBs when the inevitable happens. Ronaldo's game has huge flaws, but he is still top 5 CF in the world. Its the managers job to set the team up in a way that hides his flaws and plays to his strengths. Any tactically competent manager can do that, they would obviously only press in our own half and try to hit on transitions.

As for the bolded, Ole did leave him out for Everton. But then pundits threw a hissy fit about it, and SAF made things infinitely worse sadly.
I love Ronaldo!But it’s not about that, it’s about being honest as to what he brings to the team. He brings his finishing- but at what cost?

Top 5 in world? Never. Top five poachers, headers of a ball, finishers maybe...but being a striker is more than that. Jesus look at the quality Benzema is producing all over the pitch in the last two seasons. Here I’ll piss off the CR7 speedo wearing fan club....

here is a list of striker who who be better for this current Utd team than Ronny-One of whom we actually own!

- Haaland
- Benzema
- Kane
- Aguero
- Suarez
- Martinez
- Cavani
- Vardy
- Vlahovic
- Silva

Each of these would compliment our TEAM better...are not as good finishers but would and could be used in a number of formations and ways to give us diversity against low blocks. All work harder as well.

point being, Ronny is a super sub if ever there was one. If he is leading our line and we win anything of note...I’llnever come on redcafe again!

tomaldinho1

And the other people? The other footballers? The other news articles? The youtube videos? The stats. The heat maps? Everyone is saying that Ronaldo not being a pressing forward has caused us a problem.

Even Schweinsteiger.
But that is farcical...point me towards our pressing system, we rank lower than Mou's United for pressing (look at the article by the Athletic) and you couldn't really have a lower bar. It'd be like me complaining Varane is an issue because he doesn't play defence splitting balls, we never did that before so how is it an issue now??

Team Ronaldo on here are not engaging with the argument...perhaps because of how it’s being put across but Even so....

Your Europa League image is bollox. We are IN possession in that image...while it’s not an ideal strategy to go with one of the plays that has worked for us this season is Pogbas almost no look pass over the top and Bruno running from deep. This has fuk all to do with what we shape up like when we lose the ball as 6 defenders including the 2 CMs should be enough to hold the fort if we lose it so as not to get caught on the break. (PS-I know that ain’t Pogba on the ball in your pic- I am just using the analogy to indicate how Bruno joining the frontline while in possession is not unusual and has worked...see Leeds goal.)

Point being, when OUT of possession Ronaldo is about as useless as a waterproof teabag. You can’t just overcompensate by moving other players around as it’s chaos- you need to play exclusively to accommodate him. We didn’t and I would contend...we shouldn’t...

players like Rashford, Greenwood, Sancho, Bruno are too good to ignore their strengths to feed one striker.essentially, a team with Ronaldo starting is restricted to playing in a certain way in order to get the best out of him not out of the team and his goals alone ain’t enough to win things at the top level (PL or CL). He has waned. His touch is terrible and he is very weak on the ball and has linked well with no one on the team. He is a supreme goal scorer...that’s it.It would take a seriously dominant team who are completely confident on the ball anywhere on the pitch to not suffer from Ronnys lack of doing anything except in the oppositions 18 yard box.
Yep, because Bruno never just went awol before Ronaldo came here. This is genuinely incredible. We DO NOT play a pressing system and after an initial attempt which failed in early 19/20 it was left by the wayside and yet Ronaldo is the issue we can't now press. You can't help but despair.

We can't play a high press because Maguire and lindelof are too slow
We can't play a high press because DDG is so bad on the ball
We can't play a high press because McFred are too deep
We can't play a high press because Bruno is terrible positionally
We can't play a high press with Pogba
We can't play a high press with AWB because he's a Sunday League player
We can't play a high press with Ronaldo
We can't play a high press with a double pivot
We can't play a high press with Greenwood
We can't play a high press because our players didn't get a break over summer
We can't play a high press because we don't have the personnel

I'm going out on a limb here but maybe, just maybe, it's the tactics.

captaincantona

But that is farcical...point me towards our pressing system, we rank lower than Mou's United for pressing (look at the article by the Athletic) and you couldn't really have a lower bar. It'd be like me complaining Varane is an issue because he doesn't play defence splitting balls, we never did that before so how is it an issue now??

Yep, because Bruno never just went awol before Ronaldo came here. This is genuinely incredible. We DO NOT play a pressing system and after an initial attempt which failed in early 19/20 it was left by the wayside and yet Ronaldo is the issue we can't now press. You can't help but despair.

We can't play a high press because Maguire and lindelof are too slow
We can't play a high press because DDG is so bad on the ball
We can't play a high press because McFred are too deep
We can't play a high press because Bruno is terrible positionally
We can't play a high press with Pogba
We can't play a high press with AWB because he's a Sunday League player
We can't play a high press with Ronaldo
We can't play a high press with a double pivot
We can't play a high press with Greenwood
We can't play a high press because our players didn't get a break over summer
We can't play a high press because we don't have the personnel

I'm going out on a limb here but maybe, just maybe, it's the tactics.
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

you’re great craic!!! I litteraly said it’s not Ronaldo it’s the tactics! See the way we played when we beat city, Liverpool draws, PSG, Chelsea at the Bridge...good teams...our only hope was to stay compact and break. You can’t do that if one of your players doesn’t do anything out of possession. So you set up differently if you have to include an immobile 36 year old up top! It’s not rocket science!

you can either set up with Ronaldo, where you need Dan James types around him ironically...or...you set up as you have done previously, compact, with a mobile and talented players all working working hard as a front 3.

Then the question is which setup has a better chance against a top side? I’d say the second one...you would like to see us play Ronaldo up front against city....I can’t wait to see you on here if we do!!!!

Highfather_24

Top 5 in world? Never. Top five poachers, headers of a ball, finishers maybe...but being a striker is more than that. Jesus look at the quality Benzema is producing all over the pitch in the last two seasons. Here I’ll piss off the CR7 speedo wearing fan club....

here is a list of striker who who be better for this current Utd team than Ronny-One of whom we actually own!

- Haaland
- Benzema
- Kane
- Aguero
- Suarez
- Martinez
- Cavani
- Vardy
- Vlahovic
- Silva
Whether he's in top 5 or top 10 of the world is irrelevant to the point I was making.

He has his limitations, but he also has his strengths. Its upto the coach to get the best out of him. The point I made in my initial post, which you ignored, is that its Ole's fault that he is using tactics(high press) that expose Ronaldo's weaknesses. Which cannot really be blamed on Ronaldo. You cannot instruct Gattuso to play like Pirlo, and then blame him when it doesnt work out.

tomaldinho1

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

you’re great craic!!! I litteraly said it’s not Ronaldo it’s the tactics! See the way we played when we beat city, Liverpool draws, PSG, Chelsea at the Bridge...good teams...our only hope was to stay compact and break. You can’t do that if one of your players doesn’t do anything out of possession. So you set up differently if you have to include an immobile 36 year old up top! It’s not rocket science!

you can either set up with Ronaldo, where you need Dan James types around him ironically...or...you set up as you have done previously, compact, with a mobile and talented players all working working hard as a front 3.

Then the question is which setup has a better chance against a top side? I’d say the second one...you would like to see us play Ronaldo up front against city....I can’t wait to see you on here if we do!!!!
I'll take that as a complement ;)

On Bruno he wasn't pressing for Ronaldo, he's always just bombing around. He needs a coach to come in and bollock him when he leaves his 'zone' because as soon as he pushes up, which he does all the time, McFred are always 3 v 2. Happens every single game, CBs try and lure him out and then just ping it round him in a triangle.

The point is we should be able to play with a system by now - whatever that system is - where we can impose our game plan on an opposition. If we are specifically talking about Ronaldo, it's clear we should be aiming to dominate the ball, put crosses in from wide and generally press in short bursts before taking our time on the ball to allow for recovery. I actually think this is how we should play and is how modern football will be played and actually doesn't necessarily need the CF to press, rather he just needs to split the CBs. We could play Cavani, Ronaldo, Greenwood or Martial in this system.

The issue is you are right on that last bit, we are still reliant on sitting in and countering and that wouldn't suit Ronaldo, I'd argue it doesn't even suit Cavani, we might as well play Rashford back as a 9. I agree re James as well. It sucks that this seems to be the only way Ole can setup after 3 years.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Whether he's in top 5 or top 10 of the world is irrelevant to the point I was making.

He has his limitations, but he also has his strengths. Its upto the coach to get the best out of him. The point I made in my initial post, which you ignored, is that its Ole's fault that he is using tactics(high press) that expose Ronaldo's weaknesses. Which cannot really be blamed on Ronaldo. Cant expect Gattuso to play like Pirlo, and then blame him when it doesnt work out.
Or drop him. If a player doesn't fit the way a coach want to play the solution isn't always to change the way of playing.

Solskjaer's ideas on football are too vague for him to really work that way but we should be open to the idea that a better manager may well decide Ronaldo isn't a starting CF in his side.

Highfather_24

Or drop him. If a player doesn't fit the way a coach want to play the solution isn't always to change the way of playing.

Solskjaer's ideas on football are too vague for him to really work that way but we should be open to the idea that a better manager may well decide Ronaldo isn't a starting CF in his side.
Absolutely. However it brings bigger question marks on Ole, when players he keeps buying always end up on the bench. First it was Donny. Now Sancho, who we chased for 2 years and got for 75M, and now Ole has no idea how to use him. Then we buy C.Ronaldo and are going to stick him on the bench? Why did we buy him then? Its baffling.

If Conte comes in, and benches him, I wouldnt be surprised. I would also not be surprised if suddenly his flaws are no longer being exploited, and his performances become better under a better coached team.

Skyhightrees

Ronaldo isn't a CF. That's the thing. He is a LF, should you drop Rashford or Greenwood to have Ronaldo in his usual best position? IMO yes, drop Greenwood, get Cavani at CF, or even Rashford. But Ronaldo, when at his brilliant best (which to every one with eyes is light-years ahead of any player in this team rn) flat-out SUCKED at playing CF. I'm talking 2011, 2012, 2013, he was shit and still is shit at the position. Only Ole's lacks the understanding to not put him at CF

Foxbatt

We get Ronaldo and then we fanny around. As we have seen once we put the ball in the right areas most of the time he delivers. The problem with Ole is that he is trying every forward to be the goal scorer. It is not going to work if none of the forwards create and it is left to the midfield and the full backs to create chances. McFred is not going to create so it is left to Bruno alone.

Sviken

[/quote]
I genuinely do not udnerstand what you're trying to say here. The image quite clearly paints 4 at the top, no connection with midfield, thus we're unable to move the ball around. This is one of the most prevailing problems I've seen with United, even in the Liverpool game. McFred for the most part are too disconnected from our attackers and Bruno, who should be dropping deep, most of the times is actually IN FRONT OF RONALDO. This is not Bruno's individualism, he is told to do it. And if it is Bruno's individualism, then Ole should have curbed those tendencies a long time ago.

Again, absolute nonsense. Cavani played last season. We were the same shit team then that we are now. The other issue here is you talk about how compact we are and what not. How is Ronaldo at fault for that? I don't get it. Organization and team structure is down to the coaches and teamwork, not one specific player. So Fergie and Zidane, and even Mourinho could play Ronaldo perfectly to his capabilities, but now masterclass Ole can't? And don't give me the crap that Ronaldo's game changed. He has never been a pressing player, never. And his Madrid game and now has not changed at its core essence. Bruno pressing FOR Ronaldo is an absolute joke. Bruno has been pressing like a headless chicken long before Ronaldo came here. He is a hard working player, but it is quite clear he has ZERO instructions and goes with his gut insticnt on what to do. That is called BAD coaching

Jesus Christ, listen to yourself. "Rashford, Greenwood are far too good to play for Ronaldo". This is not how a team works. It's because everyone is so individualistic in this team that IT DOES. NOT. WORK. You can't have everyone doing their own thing and expect a different result. You need everyone to play as a unit. Far better players than Greenwood and Rashford have spent their careers playing FOR Ronaldo. Benzema, Modric, Marcelo, Casemiro, Bale, Kroos all used Ronaldo as the main outlet, yet we're too good for Ronaldo? Jesus. Yes, I know he is not the same player as he once was, but then again Rashford and Greenwood are nowhere near as good as Bale or Benzema, so let's cut the crap. When you have a main man, you use him, play him to his strength. That's how we won the league with Van Persie. That's how Liverpool use Salah and Bayern - Lewandowski. You don't play all the players to their strength because you create a massive disbalance that we're currently seeing.

If Ole was a good coach, what he'd do is very simple and very similar to Madrid. Use the pace of Rashford and Greenwood on the wings to beat their man and whip crosses in, use Bruno in the Benzema role and have Ronaldo be at the end of the crosses. Shaw on the left can be our Marcelo, if he stops eating burgers all the time and starts taking this game seriously. We'd win 99% of our games with this set-up. It'll be deadly efficient. The problem is that albeit Ole claims to love the 90's and classic Alex Ferguson teams, he does very little to emulate them. In fact, I don't think he is ABLE to emulate it. I may say what I'm saying, but in order for this tactic to work you need incredible coaching.

Instead let's blame Ronaldo for our woeful manager, defence and midfield even though our attack, no matter how disjointed and vibes it is, is the only thing actually producing in this team.

captaincantona

@Sviken

I’m glad you took the time to misinterpret me so thoroughly. It’s very flattering.

Your first paragraph- nonsense. The image shows us in possession. That’s not the point li was making. I’m not making a point about effectively going toe to toe with Liverpool. I’m talking about being out of possession and getting played through.

We did not get played through at all last season. We were quite solid in fact...conceding from set pieces and individual errors. Our problem last season was being shite full stop when we had the ball...so your whole first paragraph is nonsense!

second paragraph- name a game last season where we looked even as remotely clueless at the back (with 11 men)? I didn’t say with Cavani we were glorious at pressing, I said, we did not get played through and allow opposition back lines to stroll around before picking out perfect passes! Fact! We were harder to play against! Still SHITE with the ball...but harder to play against...hence never being embarrassed 5-0 at home and actually acquitting ourselves quite decently against said opposition.

as for your tripe about a 36 year old with a bad first touch, limited link up play and no hold up ability being the “main man” that is my whole point. It’s not about “playing for Ronaldo”...it’s about asking the question...would we be a better team with or without him...?

I contend, and on which we seem to agree, that he needs to be accommodated in a formation in order to get 30 goals. He ain’t gonna come in and get those goals playing the way Ole wants to. In that regard I think we were going in the right direction with Sancho, Rashford, Martial, Greenwood, Amad, VDB, Bruno - With Cavani as a plan B... heading towards high energy and fluid interchange of positions. Now Ronny is here he HAS to play or the the club looks fuking stupid! He is also anything but fluid in terms of positioning...he waits in the box..........So Ole has backed himself into a corner where you have to start him against City but you can’t handle their intensity when your frontline doesn’t defend from the front- why won’t they defend? Because one of your front three is simply incapable of defensive contribution. The other two and Bruno can’t cover it...so you either change formation dramatically or you bench him. If you don’t, then the Liverpool game is gonna seem like the good old days!

And finally-i specifically said it ain’t Ronaldo’s fault...but you seem to read what you want to read.

Ronaldo is not what he once was...and if he doesn’t reach those numbers ever again It will be instagram followers like you that blame Utd instead of accepting that he just doesn’t have it anymore. Amazing scorer of goals...that’s all that’s left.

I’m sorry if that upsets you...you can use your CR7 special issue handkerchief to wipe away those tears as the realisation sets in...

Sviken

@Sviken

I’m glad you took the time to misinterpret me so thoroughly. It’s very flattering.

Your first paragraph- nonsense. The image shows us in possession. That’s not the point li was making. I’m not making a point about effectively going toe to toe with Liverpool. I’m talking about being out of possession and getting played through.
Posssession, out of possession, we're the same disorganized mess. This is something you need to understand. Look at where Baily and the CDM's are in comparison to our front 4. Baily is even farther ahead than our CDM's, looking for a pass, which is horrible to even look at. Midfield is completely empty.

We did not get played through at all last season. We were quite solid in fact...conceding from set pieces and individual errors. Our problem last season was being shite full stop when we had the ball...so your whole first paragraph is nonsense!
Ole has conceded twice the amount of goals Mourinho did while having vastly better players. Understand this simple fact. Before Ronaldo we were conceding like crazy, as well. We got knocked out of the CL in a piss easy group.

second paragraph- name a game last season where we looked even as remotely clueless at the back (with 11 men)? I didn’t say with Cavani we were glorious at pressing, I said, we did not get played through and allow opposition back lines to stroll around before picking out perfect passes! Fact! We were harder to play against! Still SHITE with the ball...but harder to play against...hence never being embarrassed 5-0 at home and actually acquitting ourselves quite decently against said opposition.
Leipzig and Istanbul.

as for your tripe about a 36 year old with a bad first touch, limited link up play and no hold up ability being the “main man” that is my whole point. It’s not about “playing for Ronaldo”...it’s about asking the question...would we be a better team with or without him...?

No? We had a team without him prior to the Newcastle game. Wolves smacked us around, we drew against Southampton.

I contend, and on which we seem to agree, that he needs to be accommodated in a formation in order to get 30 goals. He ain’t gonna come in and get those goals playing the way Ole wants to. In that regard I think we were going in the right direction with Sancho, Rashford, Martial, Greenwood, Amad, VDB, Bruno - With Cavani as a plan B... heading towards high energy and fluid interchange of positions. Now Ronny is here he HAS to play or the the club looks fuking stupid! So Ole has backed himself into a corner where you have to start him against City but you can handle their intensity when your frontline doesn’t defend from the front- why won’t if defend? Because one of your front three is simply incapable of defensive contribution. The other two and Bruno can’t cover it...so you either change formation dramatically or you bench him. If you don’t, then the Liverpool game is gonna seem like the good old days!
Why are Rashford and Greenwood incapable of defensive contributions? Both are plenty young. Even if you remove Ronaldo and place Cavani up top, the only two hardworking players in this team would be Cavani and Bruno. They have no system of pressing so when they press, they'll just leave us open and we'd be cut through. Why do some of you refuse to understand that pressing is not something an individual player does, it's a system. You can't just say "ok, we'll take our hardest working players, put them in a team and tell "lads, go press"". That's just nonsense.

mans finally-i specifically said it ain’t Ronaldo’s fault...but you seem to read what you want to read!

Ronaldo is not what he once was...and if he doesn’t reach those numbers ever again It will be instagram followers like you that blame Utd instead of accepting that he just doesn’t have it anymore. Amazing scorer of goals...that’s all that’s left.

I’m sorry if that upsets you...you can use your CR7 special issue handkerchief to wipe away those tears as the realisation sets in...
Ronaldo is coached by arguably one of the worst coaches in the PL and you're arguing on whether Ronaldo is good enough. This is my problem. Have Conte or some other proper coach get a look at him and we'll see if you or I am right. Right now it is pointless to blame Ronaldo because the whole team palys like shit and he, quite honestly, is the least at fault for our problems. Saved our CL group, won us 6 points in the league. In fact, the attack, albeit horribly disorganized, is the only thing that works and I've explained why it does, in a previous post of mine, unlike our defence.

Status
Not open for further replies.