5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Krits

Objectively, CR has been wank for a large part of the season, but that was such a heartwarming performance. I’m glad we got to see him play in our colours again. If only for some nostalgia. It just sucks he came back when our entire team decided to go to shit together.

Rossa

The Norwegian TV interviewed Kulusevski in Swedish/Norwegian and asked about Ronaldo. He said he more or leas singlehandedly won United the match (hyperbole), and that he is a great player. They played together at Juve, and so they asked if he had benefited from playing with him, to which he implied greatly, and that Ronaldo was so eager to share and teach others, and that he was simply a great guy. Nice to hear, and not the first either to compliment him as a person and character.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I think you've picked it up wrong, the tweeter has phrased it badly, but what he's saying is that Ronaldo's goals have been to go ahead or equalise, or the goal that's ended up being the difference between the two sides. Clumsily phrased but he means that none of his goals have been stat Padders, the 4th and 5th goals in a 5-0 win and the like
The second one seemed right but the first one said 95% of Ronaldo goals have been winners!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
This. The MLS is not a cake walk. Gerrard was in decent shape when he signed for Galaxy and he struggled against younger players in this league.

Nani has had his struggles at Orlando and looks nothing special either. Hugain similary has been nothing special either at Inter Miami. Ronaldo is finished and the sooner he realizes this the better because it's going to end up being embarrassing for him
Thank goodness he didn't realise it before yesterday eh mate.
You big plum hahhaa

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Ronaldo's goals have been the highlight of the season. Seeing a legend back at United has been a pleasure. Without him we're just middling along anyway, so I'll always be happy we brought him back.
Exactly this. The only positive of the season.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Good performance, but you should still get rid if you can unless he accepts being a starter only in the big matches and an impact sub for the rest.

crossy1686

career ending
Good performance, but you should still get rid if you can unless he accepts being a starter only in the big matches and an impact sub for the rest.
We're fine with that, it would seem he's fine with that if you look at his comments when he was at Juventus, however United don't have a single decent CF right now so Ronnie starts fit or not

Deery

Dreary
Still hard to believe what he did yesterday, absolutely amazing, a hat trick to gain the accolade of greatest goal scorer ever with 807 goals and a match winning goal to boot, simply incredible. If you can’t get excited about that I’m sorry but football isn’t for you, GOAT.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
What I think about the Ronaldo signing is irrelevant today.

He scored a hat trick in a Premier League game at that age, and set an unprecedented goalscoring record. It's remarkable.

What a career.

Deery

Dreary
Gary Lineker finding it hard to give him praise, if it was Messi he’d be wanking himself silly.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Ah lads, so much egg on so many faces :)
Ah come on now. He was always going to roll back the years and pull out an occasional performance like that. He’s a phenomenal footballer, even though he is 37 years old.

The problem we have is he can’t be expected to play that well every week, never mind twice a week. But he expects to play every match and if he doesn’t get picked we’ll get the drama there was around the City game. Turns out the rest did him the power of good. Hopefully he realises this and is willing to be more of a bit part player. Because that’ll going to be the only way to get the best out of him from here on.

AndySmith1990

Ah lads, so much egg on so many faces :)
Yep. When we end the season in 6th and without a trophy at least we can all come to the Ronaldo thread and celebrate his incredible season, and be thankful that he chose to grace our club with his presence.

Deery

Dreary
Yep. When we end the season in 6th and without a trophy at least we can all come to the Ronaldo thread and celebrate his incredible season, and be thankful that he chose to grace our club with his presence.
So it’s Ronaldo’s fault we finish 6th?!?!

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
:lol: Some definitely will

Greck

A 37 years old is the reason we are still in the UCL and in the fight for the Top3-4.
Not sure about this. In the last month or two we crashed out of the FA cup and lost monumental ground in the top 4 race in games where poor finishing was directly detrimental to every result. We could have done with this Ronaldo when there was still a season to salvage. He is dragging us upwards as much as his previous form was dragging us downwards. The team has actually been carrying Ronaldo since Rangnick got here. He, Bruno and Rashford.

So yeah 10/10 performance but let's not lose focus. Many sentiments about Ronaldo being above the underpeformers when his form in the last month was actually among the worst of it. Our top 4 chances were killed with all those draws and our last chance at a trophy came in that disasterclass he and Bruno produced.

Last edited:

Deery

Dreary
Not sure about this. In the last month or two we crashed out of the FA cup and lost monumental ground in the top 4 race in games where poor finishing was directly detrimental to every result. We could have done with this Ronaldo when there was still a season to salvage. He is dragging us upwards as much as his previous form was dragging us downwards. The team has actually been carrying Ronaldo since Rangnick got here. He, Bruno and Rashford.
You going to give Harry Kane similar or more abuse than Ronaldo then yeah?

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Ah come on now. He was always going to roll back the years and pull out an occasional performance like that. He’s a phenomenal footballer, even though he is 37 years old.

The problem we have is he can’t be expected to play that well every week, never mind twice a week. But he expects to play every match and if he doesn’t get picked we’ll get the drama there was around the City game. Turns out the rest did him the power of good. Hopefully he realises this and is willing to be more of a bit part player. Because that’ll going to be the only way to get the best out of him from here on.
Ah I'm half messing. People in here were saying he wasn't good enough for the MLS anymore though, which is obviously total bollocks.

Classical Mechanic

10/10 performance yesterday but that only partially masks a poor season by his standards in the PL. His record is about 1 in 2 for the season (good for an average PL striker) but if you look at his non penalty goals against his expected goals he‘s in the 29th percentile so among the worse finishers in the league this season.

https://fbref.com/en/players/dea698d9/scout/11160/Cristiano-Ronaldo-Scouting-Report

Compare that to last season for Juventus where he’s in the 77th percentile and the decline is stark.

https://fbref.com/en/players/dea698d9/scout/10730/Cristiano-Ronaldo-Scouting-Report

Lets hope he can find the old Ronaldo again for the CL games.

Greck

You going to give Harry Kane similar or more abuse than Ronaldo then yeah?
Who? What the hell do I care about Kane. Spurs can crash and burn for all I care. Why would that even be relevant here? At least use a name who actually plays for us.

Dookingham United

I understand that Ronaldo hasn't been as good as he been at other times during his career, but I really don't understand the absolute hate this guy gets from our own fans.

He has always been our player. Even after he left.
He is playing in the worst UTD team in living memory with mentally weak players and owners who have sucked so much spirit out of the club. He has been over played at 37 because there are no other options!

Yet only Mohamed Salah has scored more than his 12 Premier League goals and no United player has scored more than half his overall total of 18 in all competitions.
The only reason that we are in the Champions League is because of him.
He has given us the only moments of light in a desperately dark season and there have been loads of them.

Why so much constant hate?

Deery

Dreary
10/10 performance yesterday but that only partially masks a poor season by his standards in the PL. His record is about 1 in 2 for the season (good for an average PL striker) but if you look at his non penalty goals against his expected goals he‘s in the 29th percentile so among the worse finishers in the league this season.

https://fbref.com/en/players/dea698d9/scout/11160/Cristiano-Ronaldo-Scouting-Report

Compare that to last season for Juventus where he’s in the 77th percentile and the decline is stark.

https://fbref.com/en/players/dea698d9/scout/10730/Cristiano-Ronaldo-Scouting-Report

Lets hope he can find the old Ronaldo again for the CL games.
1 in 2 are great stats for any striker.

Deery

Dreary
Who? What the hell do I care about Kane. Spurs can crash and burn for all I care. Why would that even be relevant here? At least use a name who actually plays for us.
Basically the exact same comparison as for why you are bashing Ronaldo, but it’s okay I understand you probably don’t watch much football.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I understand that Ronaldo hasn't been as good as he been at other times during his career, but I really don't understand the absolute hate this guy gets from our own fans.

He has always been our player. Even after he left.
He is playing in the worst UTD team in living memory with mentally weak players and owners who have sucked so much spirit out of the club. He has been over played at 37 because there are no other options!

Yet only Mohamed Salah has scored more than his 12 Premier League goals and no United player has scored more than half his overall total of 18 in all competitions.
The only reason that we are in the Champions League is because of him.
He has given us the only moments of light in a desperately dark season and there have been loads of them.

Why so much constant hate?
Where are you seeing hate? Any examples? I’ve seen nothing even remotely hateful posted about him. Lots of opinions that he was a bad signing, who creates more problems than he solves. That’s not the same thing as hate. Not even close to it.

Deery

Dreary
Where are you seeing hate? Any examples? I’ve seen nothing even remotely hateful posted about him. Lots of opinions that he was a bad signing, who creates more problems than he solves. That’s not the same thing as hate. Not even close to it.
You have people in this very thread, posting 15 negative posts a day and hounding anyone out that dares say anything positive about Ronaldo, I’d say it’s not far off.

Classical Mechanic

1 in 2 are great stats for any striker.
Not really. Ronaldo used to be a 1 in 1 player. That’s great in the modern game. Salah has 20 in 26 this season. That’s great. Harry Kane is nearly at 1 in 2 now but no one would argue that he’s had a great season. Like Ronaldo he’s had his moments but has ultimately been disappointing.

Ronaldo‘s (and Kane’s) non-penalty goals - npxG shows how much under their own standards they’ve been.

Deery

Dreary
Not really. Ronaldo used to be a 1 in 1 player. That’s great in the modern game. Salah has 20 in 26 this season. That’s great. Harry Kane is nearly at 1 in 2 now but no one would argue that he’s had a great season. Like Ronaldo he’s had his moments but has ultimately been disappointing.

Ronaldo‘s (and Kane’s) non-penalty goals - npxG shows how much under their own standards they’ve been.
But, you’re measuring him on a scale of 60 goals a season, which coincidentally he set, at an age of 37, it’s totally unrealistic standards to set for someone.

GueRed

that extra time off looked to have done wonders.

looked a lot sharper and determined...

sensational hat-trick.

Classical Mechanic

But, you’re measuring him on a scale of 60 goals a season, which coincidentally he set, at an age of 37, it’s totally unrealistic standards to set for someone.
1 in 1 is unrealistic but if you used Ronaldo and Kane’s conversion rates from last season they’d roughly be on 16 and 15 goals respectively. Within the context of this seasons league (it’s pretty low scoring in terms of the golden boot) they’d be the 2nd and 3rd top scorers and clear of the many players with around 10 goals. They’d also have a shot at the golden boot. This is the level that you can reasonably expect of them but they’ve fallen short, at least so far.

marktan

"We were just joking that maybe it makes sense to send him to Portugal for three days, then have him not train for two and then have him back, by the way he performed on a similar kind of level on Thursday in training," said Rangnick.

"I decided after that training session to play him today even though he has not trained for a week. Maybe we have to do that for the rest of the season."

He's joking but it should seriously be considered to rotate and rest Ronaldo more, he's 37 and I'm sure at that age fatigue hits harder on the body.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
You have people in this very thread, posting 15 negative posts a day and hounding anyone out that dares say anything positive about Ronaldo, I’d say it’s not far off.
People will go to extreme lengths to win an argument on the Internet. I can't imagine that any United fan really has an issue with him, beyond constructive criticism of course, but this is an ugly forum nowadays and everyone connected to the club is going to get it from certain quarters.

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
I myself am guilty of putting out word salads from time to time i was just taken back by a behemoth of that size so made a little joke about it.

Anyway I do agree with some your points and disagree with others so obviously it's a decent post to add to the discussion but brevity is a virtue so cutting some of that length here and there does help with the text comprehension and makes it so that main points come out better.

Anyway it's not my prerogative to tell you how to write your posts but good luck anyways! :D
Yeah fair play. I also agree with you cutting a bit of a post can be helpful. But in this case I didn't really find sth to cut or leave out to be fair, but maybe that's on me. But it's not like all my posts are that long, don't worry ;)
But as someone who doesn't post that regularly I often just want to bring my points across in one post. I usually do that when I have the time and stamina for that and it's less time-consuming for me than posting 5,6 posts over a longer timeframe or even days.

But I know that posts can be terrifying, especially on smartphone. I still think sometimes that would be nicer than just a lot of knee-jerk reactions from both sides, but probably impossible to expect on an internet forum with more than a couple of people.

PoTMS

I hope Rangnick wasn't fully joking. Putting Ronaldo on a Ledley King training regimen would probably get another few years out of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.