Cristiano Ronaldo (I stay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
So the backpedaling has begun? Guess he's staying?

Maybe the Atletico move collapsed completely, hence his laughing emojis.
Starting to think it was never on the cards. Smoke and mirrors from Mendes, with the club playing along because they are very close with him. My guess, either attempting to drum up interest from other directions, or it's all just a giant show so that when he's still a United player on September 1st everybody can point out how the club really wanted to keep him and he's impressed and ready to give his all and yadda yadda....

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
What is really going on here? Is he that desperate for CL he is willing to join fecking Napoli or Sporting Lisbon - teams that are in the realms of no chance to win the damn thing.

I smell something different here. There has to be more to his desire to leave. A very strong desire to leave a club he apparently loves! Even willing to take a pay cut.

So what is the real reason? It certainly is more than just CL football.

Is it as simple as ETH told him he'd not be a starter? Or is it deeper
Quite possible.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Starting to think it was never on the cards. Smoke and mirrors from Mendes, with the club playing along because they are very close with him. My guess, either attempting to drum up interest from other directions, or it's all just a giant show so that when he's still a United player on September 1st everybody can point out how the club really wanted to keep him and he's impressed and ready to give his all and yadda yadda....
'I had so many offers. However, when a club and a project wants you so much it can change how you feel. I am ready to fight, to give, to win trophies and the signings that have been made this summer make me feel we can be a big success.' :lol:

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
I don’t know why he wouldn’t take the Saudi money rather than stay. He’s humiliated himself beyond all redemption.

sugar_kane

'I had so many offers. However, when a club and a project wants you so much it can change how you feel. I am ready to fight, to give, to win trophies and the signings that have been made this summer make me feel we can be a big success.' :lol:
I’m fairly certain that the way Ronaldo’s team is going to spin this is that the only reason he’s still at United is because they wouldn’t let him go, rather than him being over the hill and toxic and no other club being stupid enough to sign him.

It’s the only way I can make sense of the amount of noise his team are making about United releasing him when it’s clear he has nowhere to go.

The part that doesn’t quite make sense is why United don’t call his bluff and feck him off, but it’s probably as simple as them wanting to recoup a fee for him, ie. us being incompetent, greedy and short sighted which is quite easy to believe.

I honestly think any fee we might make will be outweighed by the damage done to the dressing room if he stays, as it will impact our performance on pitch and potentially derail Ten Hag’s rebuilding project before its even properly got going.

FiiiiveTenHaaags

If he does play at the Rayo game on Sunday, what do you reckon on me being able to boo him from the Stretford End without getting handled by the other fans? Risky move or achievable?

Strelok

Very likely.

ETH told him what he'd expect from his #9 for example pressing and if Ronaldo can't do that he's sorry but Ronaldo won't start. So Ronaldo threw his toys and told Mendes to find him a new club thinking he's still hot shite. Turned out he's no longer hot, only shite. This explain why he wanted out so late despite it's clear that we won't have CL football this season months ago.

ETH of course won't tell the press that he doesn't want Ronaldo as his #9. If so the media and Ronaldo's fans will blame him. Imagine all the drama and the pressure to perform of he did so. Any draw or lost the subject "if you have kept Ronaldo blah blah" would be brought up again. He keeps saying he wants Ronaldo and Ronaldo is in his plan to avoid that. He doesn't lie he only does not tell the whole truth. He has a plan for Ronaldo only not as his starting #9.

United of course don't want to be blamed either so they just play along. They also want a fee as well that's why they keep saying they want Ronaldo to stay.

Of course all the above is only my opinion but it does explain everything I think.

Loony BoB

They may want a fee but they'll also be saying that they don't want to sell him to a league rival, so if Chelsea are in for him we'll be adding a massive tax of roughly £100m because that's how much it could cost us if they end up above us in the league thanks to his goals.

I don't think there's much need for a fee for other clubs. But in no way do I want us to sell to a direct rival for a UCL spot. He might be frustrating off the pitch but on the pitch he's still valuable to a club like us with limited options, and also to a club like Chelsea who need a quality scorer.

Revaulx

Very likely.

ETH told him what he'd expect from his #9 for example pressing and if Ronaldo can't do that he's sorry but Ronaldo won't start. So Ronaldo threw his toys and told Mendes to find him a new club thinking he's still hot shite. Turned out he's no longer hot, only shite. This explain why he wanted out so late despite it's clear that we won't have CL football this season months ago.

ETH of course won't tell the press that he doesn't want Ronaldo as his #9. If so the media and Ronaldo's fans will blame him. Imagine all the drama and the pressure to perform of he did so. Any draw or lost the subject "if you have kept Ronaldo blah blah" would be brought up again. He keeps saying he wants Ronaldo and Ronaldo is in his plan to avoid that. He doesn't lie he only does not tell the whole truth. He has a plan for Ronaldo only not as his starting #9.

United of course don't want to be blamed either so they just play along. They also want a fee as well that's why they keep saying they want Ronaldo to stay.

Of course all the above is only my opinion but it does explain everything I think.
That accords 100% with my own opinion, so you’re in excellent company :)

In addition, I think the club have every right to expect some sort of financial compensation for releasing him and Mendes from their contract. Fans have (rightly) complained about player power being allowed to fester and grow throughout the Ed Woodward years, yet when the club suddenly take a hard line and remind a player some fans don’t like of his contractual obligations, those fans start screaming “just let him go”. Like that sends out the right message to players and, even more so, their agents…

So either United get a fee and Mendes accepts a much reduced commission, or Ronaldo stays. He’s had much of the wind taken out of his sails by top clubs not lining up for him; with any luck he’ll knuckle down, accept his role as a rotation and bench option (which will still see him getting plenty of game time) or, if he’s an arse, get sidelined and shipped out in January.

Nigel Refalo

We're not dealing with a normal person here, he's a narcissist.

This episode has been one big blow to his ego.

I will say this, I want him to stick around. He's still very good, he will still be a professional and, most importantly, Ten Hag evidently wants him around too.
True, Narcissists no matter how successful will always self implode.

Feel very sorry for Ten hag about this situation and our summer transfer window, but at least he got equipped early on the current shocking state of this club.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
Nonsense, surely. That’s not how team morale works.
To be honest the team aren’t meant to know what each other’s salary is and in turn shouldn’t know if someone got a pay cut or not.
Our team must be the biggest snowflakes out there and I’ve never seen players down tool as fast as them or us fans be worried about team morale as much as we do now.

Did it affect team morale when united broke their wage structure for Roy Keane? Yes Ronaldo is bigger now as a player than Keane ever was, so maybe the rest of the squad can stop worrying about what arguably the greatest ever player is getting paid and start showing why they’re even worthy of being United players to begin with?

Red_toad

To be honest the team aren’t meant to know what each other’s salary is and in turn shouldn’t know if someone got a pay cut or not.
Our team must be the biggest snowflakes out there and I’ve never seen players down tool as fast as them or us fans be worried about team morale as much as we do now.

Did it affect team morale when united broke their wage structure for Roy Keane? Yes Ronaldo is bigger now as a player than Keane ever was, so maybe the rest of the squad can stop worrying about what arguably the greatest ever player is getting paid and start showing why they’re even worthy of being United players to begin with?
Players should be aware wages are based on marketing potential, value to the team and performances. If they want as much or more than Ronaldo, then they know what they have to do.
If Ronaldo stays and his form drops off a cliff, then he won't get renewed, pretty simple, then it's up to someone in the squad to take on the mantle and be the main attacking threat for the team.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Its shit like this that destroys a dressing room.
If true then its yet another example that this new and improved United football setup is a farce. It also explain this

"It's impossible not to talk about me one day. Otherwise, the press won't make money. They know that if they don't lie, they can't attract people's attention. Keep going, one day you’ll get some news right. "

Red_toad

Its shit like this that destroys a dressing room.
If players are reading speculation, then they're ruining it for themselves. I doubt they discuss wages and a lot of them are well over paid for their performances, so need to look at what they do first.

JB7

Very likely.

Firstly, given how loose lipped Mendes is to his mate Castles, if this conversation had been had, I imagine we'd know about it by now.

Second, I'd be very surprised if Ten Hag see's Ronaldo as a #9 in any of his systems. I still maintain we are much more likely to see him from the left.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
If he does play at the Rayo game on Sunday, what do you reckon on me being able to boo him from the Stretford End without getting handled by the other fans? Risky move or achievable?
I wouldn't boo United player under any circumstances

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
If players are reading speculation, then they're ruining it for themselves. I doubt they discuss wages and a lot of them are well over paid for their performances, so need to look at what they do first.
I agree about the pay thing. How many of you out there talk to you colleagues about how much you/they are paid? Companies have successfully managed to stop people doing that so they can pay individuals as little as possible (that last bit obviously doesn't apply to footballers) and bypass unions

Erics_Collar

Obvious what's going on here now.

Wanted a move, but no move was possible. Now it's damage limitation procedure, with his Instagram comments making out the "wanting to leave" rumours to be false. Where were all these comments 2 weeks ago?

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
So what is the real reason? It certainly is more than just CL football.

I don't doubt CL is a big driver for him, he wants to keep that record going but I agree, there's more. I reckon it has to be a Ronaldo / ETH thing. Either TH has, like you said, told Ronaldo he won't be an automatic starter and / or Ronaldo knows how much TH will drive him to play a different game to his norm. I doubt Ronaldo is relishing getting thrashed week in week out. Ronaldos game is all about Ronaldo, not sure that fits with TH's view of his team.

Strelok

Firstly, given how loose lipped Mendes is to his mate Castles, if this conversation had been had, I imagine we'd know about it by now.
Imo it's in the best interest of his side to keep their mouth shut in this case. Last thing Ronaldo wants to read on the news is he quits because he doesn't want to or cannot press I think.

Elliot

I don’t know why he wouldn’t take the Saudi money rather than stay. He’s humiliated himself beyond all redemption.
Probably because he still thinks he can perform at the highest level and wants to keep adding to his top flite goal tally. He would be effectively retired in Saudi Arabia, sitting on his huge pile of money watching Messi score goals and be relevant in the Champions League.

JB7

Imo it's in the best interest of his side to keep their mouth shut in this case. Last thing Ronaldo wants to read on the news is he quits because he doesn't want to or cannot press I think.
The detail wouldn't be as specific or as accurate as that, as it would be spun in any which way they prefer. There would be an article ridiculing Ten Hag for seemingly preferring Martial or something if that conversation had happened.

ForeverRed1

On the face of it, it's the only move that makes any shred of sense. He could dress it up as an emotional homecoming and still grab a few CL goals. I read that he's even prepared to take a pay cut (allegedly obvs).
If he goes back to sporting he would have to as there’s no chance they can afford to pay what we do.

in fairness he would smash the Portuguese league and he’d be in Portugal. I guess it does make sense for him in ways. I just don’t see it as competitive as united; even without CL.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
If he goes back to sporting he would have to as there’s no chance they can afford to pay what we do.

in fairness he would smash the Portuguese league and he’d be in Portugal. I guess it does make sense for him in ways. I just don’t see it as competitive as united; even without CL.
I think Ronaldo has gone past being driven solely by competition to a degree. Yeah, he still wants to win but he is purely a numbers man now he's on the final straight of his career. All that matters to him is goals. records.

Acquire Me

Ronaldo should see it as his biggest challenge to get United back on track. Go in front with EtH and be a proper legend. Sad really.

Status
Not open for further replies.