Cristiano Ronaldo (I stay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dove

Why will he do his best to ruin things under Ten Hag and the clubs progression?!

He’s a serial winner.
Since we will have "My Ronaldo shall always play" situation because you simply just don't bench Ronaldo, we will obviously have to take that into account from a tactical point of view in the way how we play. He will score some goals no doubts about that but his overall contribution to the team play is non existent at this point.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Ten Hag should bench him and use him as an impact sub to teach the guy a lesson.

We looked more out of sync in attack last season than in any season since Fergie retired. It can't be a coincidence. It's all about him and that's why we suffered as a team.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Clearly playing the long game and making sure the board spend a reasonable amount of money strengthening the squad. Well done Ronaldo, as always a model professional but now with the cunning of an older player who knows they can demand more from our owners. Should be the captain IMO.

hello

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It was all going grand, in my opinion, till we signed this cnut again. This is not an endorsement of Ole at that time. Or diminishing Ronaldo's achievements in any way. Just can't understand why we signed him again...Oh yeah, insta clicks etc...I'm pretty sure ETH is finding out how the circus operates by now.
Exquisite revisionism that is.
Very easily forgetting we spent half that season getting away with late comebacks, had an inordinate amount of penalties, were getting away with McFred in there etc.
No crowds, Liverpool and Chelsea spending half the season in an absolute mess.
All of that stuff hyped our position up.

It didn't need Ronaldo to make that house of sand blow up.

Chief123

I get the sentiment of hostility towards Ronaldo, but honestly pragmatically I think we need him to stay. We are desperately short of options upfront. There aren't many forward options available, and signing those that are is made harder when we're out of the CL. Sesko would be a nice signing but he'd be one for the future. There's more for us to gain by keeping him for a further season. He can help us secure a return to CL, we can work ahead to the next transfer window to secure a first choice CF.

Ronaldo's relationship with United has also been one of mutually beneficial one. We offered him the chance to play in a top league for a top side, we helped him on his way to becoming one of the best players in the world. He gave us a CL and three league titles in a row. Of course he developed affection for the club, but ultimately he had his own goals and aspirations which saw him pursue the move to Real. His return was a further opportunity for him to play for a top side, in exchange for a high profile signing for us and much needed goalscorer. We aren't a top side currently, haven't competed for trophies, so inevitably he would look at the possibility of moving. I wouldn't expect anything else.

Ultimately it seems it will suit both parties that he stays. There's not a better offer for him elsewhere, we don't have the time or ability to replace Ronaldo with the suitable quality this summer. So the mutually beneficial relationship will be extended for another year. It is what it is.
It would be ideal to have him as an “option” but the problem is he won’t accept being anything other than a starter. If that doesn’t happen then we’ll be seeing tantrums every week. It’s either he scores goals for the sacrifice of a lot of the good team play or he sits on the bench and offers an option when needed.

I just don’t see a team playing nice, cohesive, fluid football like we’ve had glimpses of in pre-season with Ronaldo in the team.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's the 9th in the history of the game for winning trophies. So yeah he's a serial winner.
He doesn’t win them anymore. Anyone with eyes can see that and it’s why nobody wants him. Get with it, man.

wr8_utd

:'(
Honestly never understand how people like this guy and his massive ego. It's about as annoying as Zlatan.

Red_toad

He doesn’t win them anymore. Anyone with eyes can see that and it’s why nobody wants him. Get with it, man.
Get with what? Ten Hag and the club are insistent he stays. So obviously someone wants him. He'll only not win things anymore as a player when he retires, unless you have some kind of crystal ball?

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Why will he do his best to ruin things under Ten Hag and the clubs progression?!

He’s a serial winner.

It may not be proactive malice but he's potentially toxic to a team at this point in his decline, mainly because he refuses to see it. His behaviour backs this up.

Last edited:

Zippycup

The only good thing about his staying is my younget can now say that they've saw him
play live.
That's it really

UnitedFan93

Just get rid ffs; can't believe we are persisting with him. It's fecking stupid and will completely wreck our season.

Trequarista10

It would be ideal to have him as an “option” but the problem is he won’t accept being anything other than a starter. If that doesn’t happen then we’ll be seeing tantrums every week. It’s either he scores goals for the sacrifice of a lot of the good team play or he sits on the bench and offers an option when needed.

I just don’t see a team playing nice, cohesive, fluid football like we’ve had glimpses of in pre-season with Ronaldo in the team.
For sure, managing his ego/personality will be the challenge for ETH. Ultimately, its not Ronaldo's choice how frequently he plays or for how long, its the manager's. Not sure what Ronaldo would have to gain by throwing a tantrum, he doesn't have time on his side to waste a season of his career moping. If there's one thing he's guaranteed to deliver is that he'll train and play as professionally as anyone. Getting him onside with the coach and the rest of the dressing room will be the bigger challenge, but that's the kind of challenge top managers have to deal with. Make him force his way back into the team, play him for 30 minutes here, 60 minutes there and make it clear to him he won't be playing the full 90 twice a week, so he is expected to run harder and press more frequently for the minutes that he is on the pitch.

George The Best

There will be huge pressure on ETH to play our ‘marketing machine’ and not bench a player earning vast sums a week. King? Well he’s taking a King’s ransom out of the club coffers.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I fecking hate the cnut. I completely hate his guts. I'm practicing my sui for when he scores goals this season and dusting off my I Love Ronaldo sofa covers and matching rugs but I'll maintain a grumpy face when I'm doing it.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
Honestly never understand how people like this guy and his massive ego. It's about as annoying as Zlatan.
Zlatan isn’t even a 10th as good as Ronaldo and certainly isn’t a patch on what he’s won. Not to mention that cnut ran his mouth when he was here but as usual bottled it in big matches. If a fraud like him could have that sort of ego, imagine the ego Ronaldo would have?

Jurgen Plopp

Ronaldo Premier league 21/22 - 18 Goals + 3 assists + 8 Tackles (in 30 games)

Bruno Premier league 20/21 (BEFORE Ronaldo) 18 Goals + 12 assists + 57 tackles (in 37 games)
Bruno Premier league 21/22 (WITH Ronaldo) 10 Goals + 6 assists + 54 tackles (in 36 games)

I just wanted to make the point that Bruno scored 18 goals from Midfield with assists galore (12), the year before Ronaldo scored his18 goals as out and out striker - and so Ronaldos goals are not irreplaceable as some would have us believe. (though to be fair - 28 goals together is not that bad)

The Firestarter

I fecking hate the cnut. I completely hate his guts. I'm practicing my sui for when he scores goals this season and dusting off my I Love Ronaldo sofa covers and matching rugs but I'll maintain a grumpy face when I'm doing it.
Do you have a siu pillow case?

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Zlatan isn’t even a 10th as good as Ronaldo and certainly isn’t a patch on what he’s won. Not to mention that cnut ran his mouth when he was here but as usual bottled it in big matches. If a fraud like him could have that sort of ego, imagine the ego Ronaldo would have?
I'm ambivalent towards Zlatan Ibramahovic but he's hardly a fraud ffs. Yes, he's clearly second best to Ronaldo but apart from three or four in history, everybody would fall behind Ronaldo.

UnitedFan93

Nobody's made an offer so we can't just get rid of him.
Well send him out on loan for a season. It will be worth paying his wages whilst on loan just to get out of the club.

It's pretty simple; keep Ronaldo and we'll do well to get a Europa League place next season. Replace Ronaldo and we'll get top 4 minimum next season. Both options require paying Ronaldo but with different outcomes.

Mayhem

"Sunday the King plays". Seriously. This narcissistic egomaniac absolutely has to go.

Withnail

Well send him out on loan for a season. It will be worth paying his wages whilst on loan just to get out of the club.

It's pretty simple; keep Ronaldo and we'll do well to get a Europa League place next season. Replace Ronaldo and we'll get top 4 minimum next season. Both options require paying Ronaldo but with different outcomes.
Has anyone made an offer to take him on loan that I missed?

UnitedFan93

Has anyone made an offer to take him on loan that I missed?
No because United value commercial revenue over sporting success. It's fecking stupid.

It was reported a few days ago that Mendes asked United to consider a loan arrangement for next season but United said no.

Last edited:

Bwuk

He outscored everyone bar Salah/Son last season, despite being in the worst United side I’ve ever seen.

If people don’t want him fair enough, but lets stop pretending he’s finished.

Dancal

Supports
Footy

Top 4 ?

Replace him with who ???
Mbappe and haaland ?

Can't see top 4 anytime soon

Devil_forever

Scored an 83rd minute equaliser against Liverpool, won us the league cup final. “Bottled it”.
No he very much bottled it. With the way that guy talks we’re clinging to equalisers now? Give me a break. Against Pep’s city he couldn’t even score from close range. He was always a big stage bottler, there’s a reason why he crumbled under the pressure at Barca.

DutchCruijff

He outscored everyone bar Salah/Son last season, despite being in the worst United side I’ve ever seen.

Correct.

I'm baffled by those who are upset he isn't gone.

In a functioning team, he would score more. Our alternative front three is Sancho/Martial/Rashford with Elanga as back up.

Get real for wanting him to leave. Look at our depth ffs.

Devil_forever

I'm ambivalent towards Zlatan Ibramahovic but he's hardly a fraud ffs. Yes, he's clearly second best to Ronaldo but apart from three or four in history, everybody would fall behind Ronaldo.
With the way he talks, yeah he is a fraud, the only league he ever dominated was the Italian league…..Did he ever turn up in the champions league?

The Firestarter

He becomes the focal point of every attack even if its not always optimal. He missed a ton of chances, I think he had the worst xG to actual goals at some point in the season. The end result is he scores a lot of goals but the team as a whole scores less. It worked when he was actually in his prime , because it was a shitton of goals but it's no longer the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.