Cristiano Ronaldo (I stay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

R'hllor

Weirdos have really no shame to use his tragedy as a focus on certain issue some portion of fans have with him, when nobody in right mind having a go at him for that tragedy. fecking hell.

the_cliff

So you have Bayern, Barca, Chelsea, Atletico, Napoli all claiming to have been offered Ronaldo by Mendes.

But all of them were lying, Ronaldo and his agent are the ones telling the truth.

Yeah, ok.

Shark

@NotShark
I really don't understand the logic of those that wanted Ronaldo to go unless the club were prepared to sign either an established goal scorer or top talent. Neither of which are growing on trees. The thought of Rashford and Martial as our only options honestly makes me nauseous.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I really don't understand the logic of those that wanted Ronaldo to go unless the club were prepared to sign either an established goal scorer or top talent. Neither of which are growing on trees. The thought of Rashford and Martial as our only options honestly makes me nauseous.
Even as a critic of Ronaldo I agree. Elanga is terrible and Martial and rashford have proven they can't consistently put up the numbers.

NewYorkRed

If he starts playing well for us Man Utd fans will be happy. I don't think the "haters" are nearly as entrenched in him personally as the fanboys are.

I think most of us are just worried about having a 37 year old striker who looks slow and is inconsistent at passing the ball and controlling it under pressure.
Thats a very fair post. His touch does seem gone, that was shocking to me from his first game back for us. Idk if he’s slow though, def not as fast anymore but I wouldn’t call him slow.

Not gonna respond to the rest of the people who responded to me, enjoy watching him tear it up for us this year boys. He’ll be gone in Jan/next summer and we’ll replace him with a proper CF hopefully.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Nowhere near?? What absolute tosh. My dad (who was a City fan) rated Edwards as the best player he’d ever seen, my mate who’s been watching United since the early 60s rates Best as the finest. Whilst Ronaldo is probably the best goal scorer to have played for United I don’t think he’s anywhere near the all round player Best or Edwards where. To be honest I’d rather have prime Robson in my team than prime Ronaldo.
Prime Robson over a Prime versions of one of the 4 GOATS of the game ? Too nbay arguably the GOAT?

Glazer is that you ??

UpWithRivers

Genuine question - Was there ever any legitimate reports from Ronaldo or his agent saying he wants out? Or anything credible? Or was it all paper talk? I usually dont believe most of the press but it seems this was legit for no other reason that no one refuted the claims., not United or Ronaldo. However I dont think there was anything legit saying he was going either

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Genuine question - Was there ever any legitimate reports from Ronaldo or his agent saying he wants out? Or anything credible? Or was it all paper talk? I usually dont believe most of the press but it seems this was legit for no other reason that no one refuted the claims., not United or Ronaldo. However I dont think there was anything legit saying he was going either
None whatsoever. Just allegedly ITK media sources interested in creating something they knew would drive clicks to their social media pages. They knew it would rile up the fan base amidst an otherwise very good summer for United, and it did.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
This was my position as well. Had he gone without a replacement, we would've struggled for goals all year.

The Firestarter

None whatsoever. Just allegedly ITK media sources interested in creating something they knew would drive clicks to their social media pages. They knew it would rile up the fan base amidst an otherwise very good summer for United, and it did.
You are right . Ronaldo never ever wanted to leave. He loves United and is a top red, giving his all for the team. Its all in his notebook and I am certain we will have the privilege of the king tell us how it really went very soon.

Real Name

The fact Ronaldo or Mendes didnt outright deny the rumours speak for itself and the fact Ronaldo will have a big interview this month, not in August or July. Add to that the whole not turning up for preseason, strange story.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
You are right . Ronaldo never ever wanted to leave. He loves United and is a top red, giving his all for the team. Its all in his notebook and I am certain we will have the privilege of the king tell us how it really went very soon.
He may have, but since he, his agent, nor the club said anything, we will never know. Best to move on and enjoy the football now that the window is closed.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Obviously, he's staying. Let's hope he can provide some goals from the bench when we need him. He could come in handy when the Europa League games come along. Rotation, and all that.

NoLogo

I don't mind that he stayed but he needs to live with the fact that unless he increases his pressing work he won't be a starter for us. If we start him our whole pressing colapses and not even his occasional world class games are worth it to risk that. He isn't the first, nor will he be the last all time great who is made irrelevante because they couldn't adopt to the evolving tactics.

And before some Ronaldo fanboy screams at me again. The same goes for Messi, no pressing effort put in makes you a burden for the rest of the team in todays game, Messi doesn't press either so yeah, he is in the same boat imo.

Smores

So what if he did want to leave though? It seems like some having taken it as a slight that a player may want to go elsewhere as if it's an outrageous thought.

As long as a player isn't coming out publically who gives a feck. Even then we've just signed a player who kicked up a fuss so the club obviously don't care.

Let's criticise players for what they do on the pitch and actually say.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Nothing can be done about it now. He has clearly tried with his agent to find anexit and hasn’t found one suitable enough.

It’s his prerogative to do so.

Now that there’s no escape for either party as long as he works hard for the team and tows the line like him or loath him he’s here till January and we have to hope that’s a positive now.

He does bring goals even if at the expense of other things but hopefully he’ll get on board with his reduced role and try to win us games when called upon.

The good thing is I think we have a manager who can handle him.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
So what if he did want to leave though? It seems like some having taken it as a slight that a player may want to go elsewhere as if it's an outrageous thought.

As long as a player isn't coming out publically who gives a feck. Even then we've just signed a player who kicked up a fuss so the club obviously don't care.

Let's criticise players for what they do on the pitch and actually say.
It’s a perfectly reasonable reaction to be annoyed at this situation. Don’t pretend like football is completely logical and devoid of emotion if someone with the historic club status of Ronaldo is reportedly considering Napoli to get out of the club I think anyone is well within their rights to be annoyed.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I don't mind that he stayed but he needs to live with the fact that unless he increases his pressing work he won't be a starter for us. If we start him our whole pressing colapses and not even his occasional world class games are worth it to risk that. He isn't the first, nor will he be the last all time great who is made irrelevante because they couldn't adopt to the evolving tactics.

And before some Ronaldo fanboy screams at me again. The same goes for Messi, no pressing effort put in makes you a burden for the rest of the team in todays game, Messi doesn't press either so yeah, he is in the same boat imo.
I don't think he is going to be a starter that often, to be honest. Not in the premier league, anyway. We'll have a lot of fixtures coming up, and he should be used for the Europa League group games as a rotation option. Although saying that, I think he may start tonight as we haven't got Antony available yet, and Martial is injured. Plus, If I had the option, I would start him in this game as opposed to the Arsenal one.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Eth should play him all the early Europa league games only to put martial/rashford at the latter stages

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Personally, think keeping him is gonna be a massive distraction and gonna course more problems than it's worth. But then I thought that when we signed him, so nowt new.

Smores

It’s a perfectly reasonable reaction to be annoyed at this situation. Don’t pretend like football is completely logical and devoid of emotion if someone with the historic club status of Ronaldo is reportedly considering Napoli to get out of the club I think anyone is well within their rights to be annoyed.
Well it's just that I don't get it. We all know our current state and that without CL he'd likely want to go, it was often discussed here. The reality hit and grown men seem upset at the thought.

Although I never understood why so many got emotional the first time he left or why Spurs fans thought Kane should stay forever. Players have their own ambitions nothing wrong with that.

Renegade

What own actions? So far he barely spoke and all we have is rumous and rumours.
Rumours he or his agent could have squashed weeks ago.

I honestly can’t believe people are suggesting this has all been made up and he’s never wanted to leave.

Why would they club have to come out and reiterate his not for sale all whilst no team is even bidding for him.
He arrives back to pre season after weeks away with his agent like that’s normal.

Ronaldo has been linked to clubs many times before in his career so why does he feel the need to hold a tell all interview after deadline day to address them?

Adamsk7

He’ll be here until January then probably go by some sort of mutual termination. I’m not overly fussed about it because ETH has no time for who or status. The only issue is the media circus that goes with it

mu4c_20le

I honestly can’t believe people are suggesting this has all been made up and he’s never wanted to leave.

Why would they club have to come out and reiterate his not for sale all whilst no team is even bidding for him.
He arrives back to pre season after weeks away with his agent like that’s normal.

Ronaldo has been linked to clubs many times before in his career so why does he feel the need to hold a tell all interview after deadline day to address them?
Sounds like you bought into all of the media stories over the last few weeks and left frustrated because none of them came to fruition

AndySmith1990

This thread is a good example of why cults will always exist. Some people are weak minded and easily brainwashed by people they idolise, they'll literally throw away all sense and reason to follow their idol

Renegade

Sounds like you bought into all of the media stories over the last few weeks and left frustrated because none of them came to fruition
The rumours I bought into were he was being offered around Europe to CL teams and they all respectfully declined. Is that not what’s happened?

Camara

Supports
FC Porto

I just don't know, I'm not saying it's not true, I'm saying I have no idea. Is it all or mostly rumours? People are assuming everything is true and given the track record of the internet I'm cautious.
Ronaldo lacked the pre-season but it's not like he went rogue, he asked the club for it and the club allowed. Why did he asked that period? Again I don't know.

Imagine now the following scenario: Man Utd says to Ronaldo that he's not part of the plan of the club and that this season he will be used mostly as a sub if he stays, but that he is free to search for a new club.
Is this why Ronaldo is searching for a club? I just made it up, now if I post this in the internet how many people will believe?

gaffs

Martial is made of glass, Rashford cant be trusted.
Ronaldo will force his way back in. Would not be surprised if he started tonight.
I think Ten Hag will do with Ronaldo with what he did with Heller at Ajax - use him as an in the box striker. He will get great service from Anthony and Sancho.

mu4c_20le

The rumours I bought into were he was being offered around Europe to CL teams and they all respectfully declined. Is that not what’s happened?
No idea mate, I see alot of rumours about agents talking, I see club reps responding to these rumours. Nothing official, or any bids made, just talk. It's also why I've mostly avoided this thread because it's just people reacting to every piece of news. We won't know what really happened until they make a statement, just like FDJ.

Renegade

I just don't know, I'm not saying it's not true, I'm saying I have no idea. Is it all or mostly rumours? People are assuming everything is true and given the track record of the internet I'm cautious.
Ronaldo lacked the pre-season but it's not like he went rogue, he asked the club for it and the club allowed. Why did he asked that period? Again I don't know.

Imagine now the following scenario: Man Utd says to Ronaldo that he's not part of the plan of the club and that this season he will be used mostly as a sub if he stays, but that he is free to search for a new club.
Is this why Ronaldo is searching for a club? I just made it up, now if I post this in the internet how many people will believe?
In that last scenario, would Ronaldo be happy to see the club and ETH publicly state he isn’t for sale and want him to stay but behind the scenes his been told different.

I can’t imagine Ronaldo & Mendes keeping quiet in that scenario.

Sviken

Think you guys are being overly harsh on Ronaldo, as much as I dislike him with his new brand fiasco and the slave comments prior to that. Like it or not, we need him. He's a proven goalscorer and with Antony, who seems to be a good crosser on the ball, we can utilize his biggest strength - heading ability. Who else are we supposed to rely on here? Martial who is absolutely crooked and can't be relied at all or Rashford who might as well be invisible when playing up top. I think Ronaldo, as well as any other player apart from Maguire (who has shit the bed far too much under variety of different managers) deserves a second chance to prove himself. It's not exactly a high bar but he was our best player, or at the very least one of, last season.

We can buy a striker next year, but we need a reliable goalscorer now.

youngrell

Wait, are people now trying to claim there has been no official communication about him wanting to leave? Our manager has been batting questions about it for the past few weeks, don't you think he would've said outright that the story was rubbish if it was? Not to mention the player himself.

crimsonflames

No idea mate, I see alot of rumours about agents talking, I see club reps responding to these rumours. Nothing official, or any bids made, just talk. It's also why I've mostly avoided this thread because it's just people reacting to every piece of news. We won't know what really happened until they make a statement, just like FDJ.
Rumours is too vague a term, it was Mendes trying to stimulate the market.

Erik the Red

CR = Committed Red

Status
Not open for further replies.