Cristiano Ronaldo (I stay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
We both know that isn't true, or he wouldn't be on indefinite hiatus.
fecking hell. It is absolutely, definitely true. There is no way that prick plays for this team again. There would be a revolt if he did.

£50 bet for charity he never gets in any Man Utd squad ever again. Loser can donate £50 to charity for women in need. If you really think there's some possibility that nasty cnut plays for United again then put your money where your mouth is.

On a mostly separate note, Jesus, this club is fecked :lol:. Ronaldo probably our best player last year, fighting to try and escape, and nobody even wants him :lol: Dire straits.

MUFC OK

You can write what you want but the truth is that United in 2020/21 were much better than last season (under Ole). And the only thing that changed was Ronaldo signing for United:
"The campaign before Ronaldo arrived, United scored 73 goals in the Premier League - 16 more than they did with the five-time Ballon d'Or winner. It's a trend which has followed him from Juventus, where his arrival also led to a decline in goals scored." From sky.

Ronaldo is a player who plays to score goals but contributes little else to the team and that has been true for many years. The only difference is that previously he played in with teammates who did the dirty work for him. He just had to concentrate on getting the glory because Benzema, Modric, Rooney et al played to serve his insatiable appetite (and mammoth ego) to score.

For the first time last season he played in a team where he had to be the leader and the driving force of the team rather than just score goals. And I'm afraid he failed.
What changed was we tried to go from a team that sits in and counters to a team that presses, plays on the front foot and dominates games. Our players were exposed for being limited and incapable of playing that kind of football whilst our coaches did not know how to enforce it.

Correlation is not causation. We also lost Greenwood in unforeseeable circumstances. Btw, how have Juventus fared since he left?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
What is the obsession with pressing? When have we ever pressed before? Certainly not during Ole's reign where we used to sit back, absorb and hit teams on the break. Neither Rashford, nor Greenwood or Martial pressed. Yet we use this stick to beat Ronaldo with. Manchester United has never been a pressing team.
I think that we peaked quick counters during the first half of the season 2020-2021. After that clubs were countering us by sitting in a deep line and earn a point. In 2021-2022 Ole went all out to add the quality players needed who were supposed to make us more forward looking. We all know how that ended.

Ronaldo was always lazy. Even in his prime we had to counter to his lack of work rate by relying heavily on Park, Rooney and Tevez. Having said that the benefits heavily out weighted the weaknesses as Ronaldo was so good to often create goal opportunities AND score week in week out . This Ronaldo is different to prime Ronaldo. He had become more of a poor man RVN with all the negative connotations attached to that (basically everyone must do the dirty work from winning the ball right to create the chances for him). When squads are far from perfect Ronaldo tend to turn against them first at Juve and now with us. What worries me the most though are his tantrums whenever things don't go his way (ex he gets subbed or rested). That's because at age 37 these things will happen more and more often and no club can afford to have a very influential player throwing tantrums in the dressing room like some 17 year old cheerleader.

In my opinion this story is no different to the situation we had with RVN in his last year or so. With the only difference that RVN was 10 times better then a 37 year old Ronaldo.

Zippycup

I don't believe this. This is too simplistic and it is, IMO, not the only reason.

Other major reasons include, IMO, (A) the lack of ambition by the club in the window, (B) the bitter taste that emerged from last season and (C) his bonus being wiped out.

All 3 are incredibly valid points to be aggrieved by. We have been abysmal this window, the dressing room has been a mess for years and our standards have been in the gutter for years too now and Ronaldo, due to his marketability, is the one player whose bonus shouldn't have been wiped out.

I am far from being a Ronaldo fanboy, far from it. For me, his departure hurts because it just signifies how far we have fallen. It is tragic.
Just because its simplistic doesn’t make it false. Ronaldo always has and always will put himself before any club, team mate, fan or manager. That’s never going to change. He is an egomaniac who would sell his soul for his own personal gain.
You say the club lacks ambition. Did he not watch us at all for the last 10 years? Did he not notice the team depth and its lack of quality before he joined? Did he not know that we didn’t qualify for the Champions League five times over the last nine seasons? Did he not know that we’ve barely won anything over the last 10 years? Come on.

The club has lacked ambition since SAF left. Its, not new information. No.
He saw we were in the champions league and that we finished second the season before he joined. he thought he could return as the hero that brought the Premier league title back to Old Trafford.
As for the “bitter taste that emerged from last season” that was partly down to him. The constant moaning, throwing his hands up in the air, shouting and demanding more while doing very little himself, throwing his toys out of the pram when he was subbed or dropped. Always someone else’s fault. Not to mention that the team changed its playing style to accommodate him.

As for the 25% pay cut, he knew that would be the case. He signed the contract. Ronaldo leaving doesn’t signify how far we’ve fallen. We all know how far we’ve fallen. Ronaldo left in 09 when we were beaten Champions League finalists and Premier League champions. We’re we “falling” then or did Ronaldo do exactly what he is doing now?

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Thanks to @jeepers for finding this:
Cristiano Ronaldo: Manchester United have accepted the pressure and are willing to sell. It wants around €15m (or £13m) to open negotiations with potential interested parties
In English:

Rio's company's in on the aggregation business, too.

Stinkypete

You can write what you want but the truth is that United in 2020/21 were much better than last season (under Ole). And the only thing that changed was Ronaldo signing for United:
"The campaign before Ronaldo arrived, United scored 73 goals in the Premier League - 16 more than they did with the five-time Ballon d'Or winner. It's a trend which has followed him from Juventus, where his arrival also led to a decline in goals scored." From sky.

Ronaldo is a player who plays to score goals but contributes little else to the team and that has been true for many years. The only difference is that previously he played in with teammates who did the dirty work for him. He just had to concentrate on getting the glory because Benzema, Modric, Rooney et al played to serve his insatiable appetite (and mammoth ego) to score.

For the first time last season he played in a team where he had to be the leader and the driving force of the team rather than just score goals. And I'm afraid he failed.
We also signed Sancho and Varane. Sold Dan James, Lingard came back from a decent loan at West Ham and was promised a role in the first team if he stayed, Rashford had shoulder Surgery, Greenwood was found out as a vile human being.

Could Ronaldo have been a factor? Of course, no doubt, and a lot of leaks from reliable sources have confirmed there were problems. But his signing was not the only thing that changed at United not by a long shot.

BlueHaze

You love Patrick Schick don't you. This is the 3rd thread you've tried to make a case for signing him in just a few minutes.
To be honest he's a very underrated player but there's no way we'll get him. He recently signed a 5 year deal and also I havn't heard a single reliable source ever linking us together. He would have done well here.

Hester_manc

I do not care where he gores. United can sell him to City, if they wanted him. He is not going to get better and better.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Rio says Ronaldo wants out because United have fallen behind Liverpool and City in bringing in transfers.

Now it would seem we are behind Chelsea too if it is true de Young wants to go there.
Em, did Ronaldo stop reading the papers 5 years ago? The fact we signed him as he approached 40 didn't ring any alarm bells I suppose.

Herman Toothrot

Rio says Ronaldo wants out because United have fallen behind Liverpool and City in bringing in transfers.

Now it would seem we are behind Chelsea too if it is true de Young wants to go there.
I think the fact we signed Ronaldo in the first place proves his point. What a waste of time and money.

honirelandboy

Batshuatyi probably wouldn't even go to us at this stage in exchange.

I'd take Werner in a second though. He's a much better player than he's showing at Chelsea.

Tavern in the town

What changed was we tried to go from a team that sits in and counters to a team that presses, plays on the front foot and dominates games. Our players were exposed for being limited and incapable of playing that kind of football whilst our coaches did not know how to enforce it.

Correlation is not causation. We also lost Greenwood in unforeseeable circumstances. Btw, how have Juventus fared since he left?
Not really. We had the 5th highest defensive line in the league in 20/21. The only teams who defended higher than us were City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Brighton (and the latter two by not much at all.) We averaged 56% of the ball every game so I’m not sure how you’ve got the idea we were a counter attacking team.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies

Why do you always call him de Young? Is this a thing I’ve missed?

Ladron de redcafe

Yup.

Aeryis

We will most likely keep him for another year as a stop gap unless the Mason thing can be resolved this season.
I seriously don't get people like you. Even if the bloke doesn't go to prison he's NEVER coming back to the club. This isn't a case of "he said she said" allegations, there's a literal voice recording of the bastard abusing and raping the girl. He's never coming back. Get that into your head mate.

Ladron de redcafe

After our worst season in premier league history, it’s a shame that the headlines are Ronaldo wanting out instead of an amazing start to the transfer window.
Especially because he was a major reason behind our worst finish in the premier league era and he didn't have the mental fortitude to look at his own performances. Instead, he's throwing himself at every big club around hoping for someone to give me a chance.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Thanks to @jeepers for finding this:

In English:

Rio's company's in on the aggregation business, too.
Any idea on the reliability of the source? The fee sounds about right — it’s basically what we paid for him in the first place.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I cannot believe how many United “fans” are sticking up for this absolute cnut. He’s done this to us twice now. feck him. I’d rather see us play Maguire up front than this bellend.

Rolaholic

Great to be having this cloud hovering around the squad during ETH's first preseason...

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I do not want him to go to Chelsea. Want him away from the PL. Him staying is only going to mean a constant circus with the press taking swipes at us if he does well there. Also, if we have the inevitable dip in our performances at one time or the other, fans who like drama will be getting wound up by the press if Chelsea and Ronaldo are doing well.

I want him away from here.

Shitty disrespectful behaviour. Should just be ignored from now on by United fans.

Ladron de redcafe

I cannot believe how many United “fans” are sticking up for this absolute cnut. He’s done this to us twice now. feck him. I’d rather see us play Maguire up front than this bellend.

There's a difference between fans of clubs and fans of players. The ones disparaging everyone at the club except for Ronaldo and bending over backwards to exculpate their Messiah from any blame are probably the latter. Putting it in quotation marks is apt because they can hardly be considered fans.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
I want him gone as soon as possible but at the same time I kinda want the club to draw it out to feck his pre-season up.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I do not want him to go to Chelsea. Want him away from the PL. Him staying is only going to mean a constant circus with the press taking swipes at us if he does well there. Also, if we have the inevitable dip in our performances at one time or the other, fans who like drama will be getting wound up by the press if Chelsea and Ronaldo are doing well.

I want him away from here.

Shitty disrespectful behaviour. Should just be ignored from now on by United fans.
I think we should be open to the Chelsea transfer. It will be sad to see for me because I don't think this will end well for him. He'll be 38 next season. Chelsea are a decent team but they're not that much better and their fans are more anti Ronaldo than a lot of United fans. The pressure will mount there and it will get ugly. If we can get about 15 million, and free up the wages this could be a win.

Honestly this transfer might avoid the awkwardness of the inevitable end here at United when he really gets past it and we have to drop him. The only thing is Ten Haag really needs to pull all his strings to sign a striker before the window. We have the wage now.

Also, I don't think pro players care where he will play. They are pros for a reason.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
I want him gone as soon as possible but at the same time I kinda want the club to draw it out to feck his pre-season up.
The club has been fecking you up too if you haven't realized that yet. Their reluctance to invest in what we need has nothing to do with Ronaldo.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's one of the most reliable Portuguese journalists and arguably the most alongside Pedro Sepúlveda.
Ah, cheers as always transfer guru!

Him not coming on tour is the end then, I reckon. Can’t see this summer ending with him still here unless he arrives at a later date whilst we’re still away

Rolaholic

It's over, anywhere but Chelsea please though. Can't stomach that for the life of me.

The season and coverage surrounding us and Chelsea would be beyond nauseating

Status
Not open for further replies.