Cristiano Ronaldo - Much Ado About Al Nassr

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Good for him and his family. He made a good decision move to Saudi last season. Same for Messi left PSG for USA as well.
Yes, I think the same. Especially as parents it was the best decision to uproot their children once more in order to prevent them from the terrible dickensian poverty they would have faced without these moves.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Yes, I think the same. Especially as parents it was the best decision to uproot their children once more in order to prevent them from the terrible dickensian poverty they would have faced without these moves.
Ffs :lol:

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
You're just blinded by romantism

Tell me there's no great goals among those 700ish he scores.

And i doubt you even watch every single one of them
Yeah he's not just a great goalscorer. He's a scorer of great goals.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
You're just blinded by romantism

Tell me there's no great goals among those 700ish he scores.

And i doubt you even watch every single one of them
No I'm not, you're blinded by hero worship. I don't recall anyone ever talking about the great artists of the past 'setting goals'. Like football is a corporate office exercise or something.

heraklion

What a load of shite.

I get it you hate the guy. But still, this?
What are you talking about? Most his goals are tap-ins and have been for a long time.
You are probably confusing with someone else thinking he is scoring amazing goals. It's a rarity nowadays if he scores a goal outside the box.;

TsuWave

No I'm not, you're blinded by hero worship. I don't recall anyone ever talking about the great artists of the past 'setting goals'. Like football is a corporate office exercise or something.
Ronaldo has provided plenty of moments of "magic" along with his ridiculous efficiency. The whole "magic" argumentation against him doesn't really ever stand under scrutiny, especially as him being so deadly in the first place can be argued as magic on it's own

heraklion

I’m sorry but this complete and utter BS. Why aren’t the likes of Benzema and Mitrovic doing as well as him for the equally as strong (or stronger) sides?
Enjoying their money, do you really think Benzema the last Ballon D'or winner cares about the supersonic Saudi league after single-handedly bringing CL with Modric to Real? They could easily stay in Europe unlike Ronaldo the reject that got rejected everywhere in Europe and had to settle with Saudi Arabia, a place where he shamelessly claimed he would never go (because he doesn't care about money and he wants to play at the top until the end) in Piers Morgan interview just a couple of months ago.. when he mocked Xavi for playing in Qatar.. The poor delusional guy is working his ass off to be relevant while others like Benzema, Neymar enjoying their vacation paychecks knowing nobody cares about that league..

We saw Ronaldo last season in PL, 1 goal in 10 games, 3 goals in 16 games in total.. terrible performance in the WC, gets benched not to mention his self-destroying interviews, comments.. there's a reason nobody wanted that diva in Europe.. Last time, I checked he was saying Saudi league was better than Portuguese league, and there's no quality league in Europe other than PL, and some other BS like he would not come back to Europe as if there is interest. The guy just can't mature, still living in delusion :lol:

Imagine desperately trying to hype up that league, a bit rich coming from a guy who spent last two years calling Ligue 1 farmers league after Messi's arrival..

Last edited:

heraklion

Problem is, I don't look at football as a 'goal-setting, box-ticking' exercise. I watch football to see magic. I want to see the gift, in individuals and in teams. That's what many people used to watch it for, hence the reps of Best, Zico, Diego etc. Sadly, in this day and age, all you hear about is people 'setting goals' and stats.
You need to have amazing playmaking, passing, dribbling skills for that which Ronaldo is way inferior to many other players.

And, even in terms of goal-scoring, he is not even the best goal-scorer of his generation let alone the history. If you are obsessed with tap-ins rather than watching playmaking, dribbling, creation geniuses, yeah, there's no better player than him to watch, nobody scores tap-ins that frequently..

Pickle85

You need to have amazing playmaking, passing, dribbling skills for that which Ronaldo is way inferior to many other players.

And, even in terms of goal-scoring, he is not even the best goal-scorer of his generation let alone the history. If you are obsessed with tap-ins rather than watching playmaking, dribbling, creation geniuses, yeah, there's no better player than him to watch, nobody scores tap-ins that frequently..
Messi fanboy saying Messi fanboy things.

heraklion

Messi fanboy saying Messi fanboy things.
Truth hurts..

come back when the tap-in merchant acquires GOAT level playmaking, dribbling, passing skills.. or scores an amazing out of the box goal in a game that matters.. or a single WC knock-out goal..

Real football fans do not care about the tap-in stats or South Africa league, now you can go back watching his mesmerizing tap-ins in that supersonic league on youtube :lol:

Pickle85

Truth hurts..

come back when the tap-in merchant acquires GOAT level playmaking, dribbling, passing skills.. or scores an amazing out of the box goal in a game that matters.. or a single WC knock-out goal..

Real football fans do not care about the tap-in stats or South Africa league, now you can go back watching his mesmerizing tap-ins in that supersonic league on youtube :lol:
I'm not even fussed about Ronaldo now that he doesn't play at united. Just funny to see Messi fanboys still trying to keep the flame burning while both are now pretty irrelevant in real footballing terms these days.

heraklion

I'm not even fussed about Ronaldo now that he doesn't play at united. Just funny to see Messi fanboys still trying to keep the flame burning while both are now pretty irrelevant in real footballing terms these days.
keeping the flame burning up by hyping up MLS or tap-ins :lol:
I only mentioned Messi because the same guys calling Ligue 1 farmers league when Messi went there are now shamelessly trying to hype up South Africa league :lol: ..

Messi is winning his 8th Ballon D'or in a couple of weeks after tons of other awards this year so he is pretty relevant.
But, we don't take his stats in MLS that seriously nor we expect any big award for his performances there like any sane person. He made a decision to spend the rest of his club career in vacation mode in Miami with his family after all his achievements and we just enjoy watching his games there. He keeps a low profile as usual and does not make stupid statements about the strength of MLS.

Ronaldo on the other continues to embarrass himself with BS statements about European football, Saudi. Portuguese league etc. with his fans continue desperately try to hype up Saudi league and his tap-ins to make him relevant comparing him to Benzema etc. (especially after the way he treated United). It's too funny to see their comments, they just can't let go.

Last edited:

SirAF

Ageist
I've said this for a long time: most Ronaldo fans don't give a shit about the other guy and don't swarm his thread. However, those who support the little guy are constantly coming into the Ronaldo thread. Go figure.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Ronaldo has provided plenty of moments of "magic" along with his ridiculous efficiency. The whole "magic" argumentation against him doesn't really ever stand under scrutiny, especially as him being so deadly in the first place can be argued as magic on it's own
You have quite a low bar on magic

MrEleson

Enjoying their money, do you really think Benzema the last Ballon D'or winner cares about the supersonic Saudi league after single-handedly bringing CL with Modric to Real? They could easily stay in Europe unlike Ronaldo the reject that got rejected everywhere in Europe and had to settle with Saudi Arabia, a place where he shamelessly claimed he would never go (because he doesn't care about money and he wants to play at the top until the end) in Piers Morgan interview just a couple of months ago.. when he mocked Xavi for playing in Qatar.. The poor delusional guy is working his ass off to be relevant while others like Benzema, Neymar enjoying their vacation paychecks knowing nobody cares about that league..

We saw Ronaldo last season in PL, 1 goal in 10 games, 3 goals in 16 games in total.. terrible performance in the WC, gets benched not to mention his self-destroying interviews, comments.. there's a reason nobody wanted that diva in Europe.. Last time, I checked he was saying Saudi league was better than Portuguese league, and there's no quality league in Europe other than PL, and some other BS like he would not come back to Europe as if there is interest. The guy just can't mature, still living in delusion :lol:

Imagine desperately trying to hype up that league, a bit rich coming from a guy who spent last two years calling Ligue 1 farmers league after Messi's arrival..
You sound mad. Better check your blood pressure my guy.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert

I mean, football is a spectator sport. The sad thing is that the genius has virtually been extinguished from the modern game. and it's only going to get worse.

Pickle85

keeping the flame burning up by hyping up MLS or tap-ins :lol:
I only mentioned Messi because the same guys calling Ligue 1 farmers league when Messi went there are now shamelessly trying to hype up South Africa league :lol: ..

Messi is winning his 8th Ballon D'or in a couple of weeks after tons of other awards this year so he is pretty relevant.
But, we don't take his stats in MLS that seriously nor we expect any big award for his performances there like any sane person. He made a decision to spend the rest of his club career in vacation mode in Miami with his family after all his achievements and we just enjoy watching his games there. He keeps a low profile as usual and does not make stupid statements about the strength of MLS.

Ronaldo on the other continues to embarrass himself with BS statements about European football, Saudi. Portuguese league etc. with his fans continue desperately try to hype up Saudi league and his tap-ins to make him relevant comparing him to Benzema etc. (especially after the way he treated United). It's too funny to see their comments, they just can't let go.
I imagine this being typed while you furiously swig an energy drink in your mum's basement.

Rossa

Problem is, I don't look at football as a 'goal-setting, box-ticking' exercise. I watch football to see magic. I want to see the gift, in individuals and in teams. That's what many people used to watch it for, hence the reps of Best, Zico, Diego etc. Sadly, in this day and age, all you hear about is people 'setting goals' and stats.
Agree! Footballing has become more obsessed with numbers and stats than entertainment

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Just learned he took 4 seasons (26 games) to score his first UCL and ended up as the leading scorer in the competition by some distance. If that doesn't motivate you to achieve your goals - fail first, fail hard - I don't know what does.

Truly the GOAT inspiration.
You only just learned? Did you not watch United from 2003-2006? He was often a frustrating player in his teen years. 'One stopover too many' and 'doesn't turn up in the big games' were the narratives being pushed by the media, and there was an element of truth to those narratives at the time. The two legs vs Milan in 05 were games that really stood out for me.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
You only just learned? Did you not watch United from 2003-2006? He was often a frustrating player in his teen years. 'One stopover too many' and 'doesn't turn up in the big games' were the narratives being pushed by the media, and there was an element of truth to those narratives at the time. The two legs vs Milan in 05 were games that really stood out for me.
Honestly no I don't remember. I went to OT a solid amount of times between 05-07 and just remember being awed by the guy most of the time. The tricks. The crosses. His curly locks.

Looking at his scoring stats, it wasn't until after the 2006 World Cup that he really emerged. I vaguely remember that being the case after the 2006 League Cup final with RVN leaving and the team moving to a 4-3-3.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Honestly no I don't remember. I went to OT a solid amount of times between 05-07 and just remember being awed by the guy most of the time. The tricks. The crosses. His curly locks.

Looking at his scoring stats, it wasn't until after the 2006 World Cup that he really emerged. I vaguely remember that being the case after the 2006 League Cup final with RVN leaving and the team moving to a 4-3-3.
Fair enough. He was an exciting player to watch against the likes of Wigan and Bolton but he always frustrated the hell out of me in the big games. It was when he returned from the 2006 world cup that he looked like a different player. All of a sudden he became ruthless in front of goal in the 06/07 season and he never looked back.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

So many excuses for the underperforming players there (ie Benzema, Mitrovic, Neymar, Mahrez etc) as compared to Ronado, just to fit your own agenda. By the way Ronaldo has scored more goals than Mbappe and Haaland too in Euro qualifiers this year. I am expecting more excuse from your nonetheless.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
It's mostly pointless to argue against this tap-in silliness, but anyway, here is a compilation of Cristiano Ronaldo's goals from 2014-2015 season (could only find league goals)

Here is a compilation of Messi's goals from 2014-2015 season.

Messi's goal compilation is more impressive. There is more variety to the goals, more dribbling, passing, etc. This was the 14/15 season when he rightfully won the Balon D'Or. At this point in his career Cristiano Ronaldo had definitely lost some ability even if his numbers were high.

But they are not as different as some people here pretend they are.

The majority of Ronaldo's goals aren't "tap-ins" (obviously). To my eye, these are tap-ins: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9. That's quite a few. But Messi scores the same type of goals! In his compilation, these are tap-ins: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8. There are more tap-ins for Ronaldo overall, but the difference isn't particularly big.

Ronaldo's goals tend to be "physical". They are strong shots or headers. For example, these: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11. But again, Messi scores similar types of goals. He is not dribbling past opponents or doing "magical" acts of playmaking every single time. He can also take a strong shot, head the ball well, etc. For example, these: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11.

You can't reach the goalscoring levels of these players if you can only tap it in, and you can't reach it if you refuse to tap it in.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
France Football did a ranking of the "most beautiful goals" from 2000-2020. Cristiano Ronaldo's bicycle kick against Juventus ranked #3. They apparently did a separate ranking for CL goals; Cristiano Ronaldo's bicycle kick again ranked #3. In discussions about great CL goals, "physical" goals often appear. Cristiano Ronaldo's bicycle kick, Bale's bicycle kick, Zidane's volley, Stankovic's long-range shot, etc. You can find them on UEFA's website, FourFourTwo, Bleacher Report, OneFootball, 90 min, etc. Everyone is allowed their own preference, but it's a near-universal opinion that this kind of football moment is "beautiful", "magic", whatever you want to call it. It's not really something you get to define on your own.

Pickle85

It's mostly pointless to argue against this tap-in silliness, but anyway, here is a compilation of Cristiano Ronaldo's goals from 2014-2015 season (could only find league goals)

Here is a compilation of Messi's goals from 2014-2015 season.

Messi's goal compilation is more impressive. There is more variety to the goals, more dribbling, passing, etc. This was the 14/15 season when he rightfully won the Balon D'Or. At this point in his career Cristiano Ronaldo had definitely lost some ability even if his numbers were high.

But they are not as different as some people here pretend they are.

The majority of Ronaldo's goals aren't "tap-ins" (obviously). To my eye, these are tap-ins: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9. That's quite a few. But Messi scores the same type of goals! In his compilation, these are tap-ins: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8. There are more tap-ins for Ronaldo overall, but the difference isn't particularly big.

Ronaldo's goals tend to be "physical". They are strong shots or headers. For example, these: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11. But again, Messi scores similar types of goals. He is not dribbling past opponents or doing "magical" acts of playmaking every single time. He can also take a strong shot, head the ball well, etc. For example, these: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11.

You can't reach the goalscoring levels of these players if you can only tap it in, and you can't reach it if you refuse to tap it in.
Thanks for these - two players we've been blessed to witness in our time. They'll be remembered among the greats. Anyone that boils Ronaldo down to a tap in merchant is just not worth listening to, quite frankly.

SirAF

Ageist
"It's going to be pretty tough, but it's about seeing how I am mentally, my motivation. If, physically, my legs treat me as well as I treat them? We'll see, they are small stages. Until I get to 1,000, first I have to get to 900. I think I'll get there," he said.

The former Real Madrid striker, who has scored 857 goals in his professional career, said he was "confident of reaching 900, but 1,000 goals is a lot".

https://www.marca.com/en/football/uefa-euro/2023/10/14/652a6ece22601d6a5b8b45a9.html

MrEleson

For sure. There were some full backs he couldn't get the better of back then. I always remember him struggling against Ashley Cole.
He didn’t struggle against Cole, that’s a myth. I found a compilation of all their encounters. Ronaldo got the better of him more times than vice versa. They had fierce battles but Ronaldo never struggled to get the better of him the majority of the time.

https://x.com/cfcblues_com/status/1697021382645756174?s=46&t=I7L2X1jXcIgzcvdIlQLXIw

Funny that a chelsea fan posted that too thinking he did something.

Last edited:

MrEleson

So many excuses for the underperforming players there (ie Benzema, Mitrovic, Neymar, Mahrez etc) as compared to Ronado, just to fit your own agenda. By the way Ronaldo has scored more goals than Mbappe and Haaland too in Euro qualifiers this year. I am expecting more excuse from your nonetheless.
I’m sure if it was the other way round, he would be using it to say that Ronaldo is truly finished !! And not that he wanted to enjoy his holidays in Saudi too like he’s claiming these guys are.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

He didn’t struggle against Cole, that’s a myth. I found a compilation of all their encounters. Ronaldo got the better of him more times than vice versa. They had fierce battles but Ronaldo never struggled to get the better of him the majority of the time.
https://x.com/cfcblues_com/status/1697021382645756174?s=46&t=I7L2X1jXcIgzcvdIlQLXIw
We all know to take compilation videos with a pinch of salt. Are you sure that's all their encounters in that video? I didn't see any clips from games at Stamford Bridge. If I remember correctly, Ronaldo has never scored at Stamford Bridge, so it's fair to say Cole locked him down in those games.

MrEleson

We all know to take compilation videos with a pinch of salt. Are you sure that's all their encounters in that video? I didn't see any clips from games at Stamford Bridge. If I remember correctly, Ronaldo has never scored at Stamford Bridge, so it's fair to say Cole locked him down in those games.
Ronaldo only played at Stamford bridge twice between Cole joining Chelsea and him leaving for Madrid. Both times were off the bench aswell.

Also, the fact that it was posted by a chelsea fan tells you that the video wasn’t even intended to make Ronaldo look good.

https://x.com/martinzkaycee/status/1697092805573648428?s=46&t=I7L2X1jXcIgzcvdIlQLXIw

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Ronaldo only played at Stamford bridge twice between Cole joining Chelsea and him leaving for Madrid. Both times were off the bench aswell.

Also, the fact that it was posted by a chelsea fan tells you that the video wasn’t even intended to make Ronaldo look good.

https://x.com/martinzkaycee/status/1697092805573648428?s=46&t=I7L2X1jXcIgzcvdIlQLXIw
Uh it was pretty apparent and widely acknowledged that he struggled against him, 2006 onwards. Which is (partly) why he was moved permanently left during the 2008 CL final, even though he usually played both flanks.

MrEleson

Uh it was pretty apparent and widely acknowledged that he struggled against him, 2006 onwards. Which is (partly) why he was moved permanently left during the 2008 CL final, even though he usually played both flanks.
The times they faced each other from 2006 onwards are here in this clip and he didn’t struggle that much. The thing about Cole is that he was Uber aggressive because it was personal for him after Ronaldo embarrassed him on their first encounter.

They played against each other just 3 times in the league after 2006 btw. 2 of them Ronaldo came off the bench and the other (home game 2009) he was playing on the left.

And that wasn’t the reason he was moved to LW in the CL final. He was moved there just to accommodate Hargreaves in the line-up who was being shoe-horned on the right of the 4-4-2.

Last edited:

Taribo's Gap

The times they faced each other from 2006 onwards are here in this clip and he didn’t struggle that much. The thing about Cole is that he was Uber aggressive because it was personal for him after Ronaldo embarrassed him on their first encounter.

They played against each other just 3 times in the league after 2006 btw. 2 of them Ronaldo came off the bench and the other (home game 2009) he was playing on the left.

And what? That wasn’t the reason he was moved to LW in the CL final. He was moved there just to accommodate Hargreaves in the line-up who was being shoe-horned on the right of the 4-4-2.
Ronaldo himself calls Cole the toughest opponent he ever faced and said "you knew it would never be an easy game". Are you suggesting that he never struggled against anyone?

MrEleson

Ronaldo himself calls Cole the toughest opponent he ever faced and said "you knew it would never be an easy game". Are you suggesting that he never struggled against anyone?
In my first comment; I said their battles were “fierce.” I just don’t see how Ronaldo “struggled” against him. You can find something challenging and still be able to overcome it.

Then it depends on what you mean by struggled. Yeah absolutely Cole was a tough opponent but Ronaldo was still good enough to get the better of him a lot.

He was very aggressive whenever he played against Ronaldo and he was a physical specimen himself so I’m sure Ronaldo relished the challenge more than against anyone else.

Taribo's Gap

In my first comment; I said their battles were “fierce.” I just don’t see how Ronaldo “struggled” against him. You can find something challenging and still be able to overcome it.

Cole was very aggressive whenever he played against Ronaldo and he was a physical specimen himself so I’m sure Ronaldo relished the challenge more than against anyone else.
I suppose it's the same way the other guy "struggled" against Chelsea in his career. High standards.

tomaldinho1

People genuinely arguing about how Ronaldo fared against Ashley Cole about 20 years ago…

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

I don't know why you're linking a Twitter comment which says Cole was being 'humiliated". Ronaldo didn't skin him anywhere near as often as he skinned most full backs at the time. My recollection is that Cole came out in top in a lot of their encounters, and I don't think that compilation video disproves it.