Cristiano Ronaldo - Much Ado About Al Nassr

devaneios

Supports
São Paulo FC
So you’re saying Ronaldo is not a great header of the ball, but just a great jumper.

Seems odd to try and separate the elements of heading just so you can try and diminish his ability.
Yeah, it's exactly what I'm saying and there's nothing odd about separating different things. It's like saying a player is good at off ball movement and positioning, but not a great finisher(shooting the ball into the net). Is this idea so bizarre?

I think he's very good at headers though, just not elite. He can put a lot of power in them, but he is not that great at directing the ball using his head.

Anyway, this has become a very stupid discussion at this point. The other poster phrased it bad when he said "most lethal finisher" and I took it too serious.

Zen86

Yeah, it's exactly what I'm saying and there's nothing odd about separating different things. It's like saying a player is good at off ball movement and positioning, but not a great finisher(shooting the ball into the net). Is this idea so bizarre?

I think he's very good at headers though, just not elite. He can put a lot of power in them, but he is not that great at directing the ball using his head.

Anyway, this has become a very stupid discussion at this point. The other poster phrased it bad when he said "most lethal finisher" and I took it too serious.
He’s not a particularly good jumper either, just good at bending his knees and springing himself upwards.

brunoag4

The best team in the Saudi league soundly beating the worst team in the MLS? Shocked.
the day Saudi league became the no.1 league in the world over its fierce rival La Liga
friendly game - May 20, 2008
Al Nassr - Real Madrid 4-1

the day MLS regained its position as the no.1 league in the world over its long-standing rival Premier League
friendly game, July 20, 2022
Minnesota United - Everton 4-0

With Al Nassr's win on Thursday against a team from MLS, the no.1 league in the world, Saudi League is now officially the best league in the world..

Last edited:

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
the day Saudi league became the no.1 league in the world over its fierce rival La Liga
friendly game - May 20, 2008
Al Nassr - Real Madrid 4-1

the day MLS regained its position as the no.1 league in the world over its long-standing rival Premier League
friendly game, July 20, 2022
Minnesota United - Everton 4-0

With Al Nassr's win on Thursday against a team from MLS, the no.1 league in the world, Saudi League is now officially the best league in the world..
Bundesliga tells you to hold its beer: https://www.kicker.de/heidenheim-gegen-al-ahli-2023-vereine-freundschaftsspiele-4880204/spielinfo

MrEleson

Absolute waffle

bakalhau

Not only is Ronaldo not that good of a jumper, he's extremely bad at landing from the jumps as well!

Alpha 1

Well that was probably his worst season during his peak period. Still managed to finished as 2nd top goalscorer in PL and came 2nd in Ballon D’or, which isn’t too bad for a player who is supposed to sulk and playing poorly.
Second in the ballon d'or was mainly due to his performances vs Arsenal in the ucl semis and ofcourse his win the previous season. But overall, that was generally poor season despite the stats.

devaneios

Supports
São Paulo FC
Is this concept that hard?

Jump -> how high a player can reach; being great at this will guarantee that he win duels most of the times

Header -> precision and technique to beat the goalkeeper directing the ball into the net using your head; being great at this will raise your chances of scoring when your get an opportunity

They're evidently different skills, so it's perfectly possible to be great at one and average at other.

Players that were world class headers, but had just average/decent jump: Jardel, Crespo, Trezeguet, Gerd Muller, Borgetti

Player that could jump insanely high, but didn't have as good heading technique: Pelé, C. Ronaldo, Puyol, Haaland

Players that were elite at both: Dadá, Salas, Klose, Falcão

I recommend you to watch some of these players headers goals compilations and then compare with Ronaldo's.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Second in the ballon d'or was mainly due to his performances vs Arsenal in the ucl semis and ofcourse his win the previous season. But overall, that was generally poor season despite the stats.
Ok, but I am just trying to give the more balance view/perspective of what actually his "poor season" means. In terms of stats 08/09 was probably one of his least impressive year during his peak years (38 goals+assists). In terms of performance I think he was still the one of most exciting attacker around, but just not as good or consistence as his previous 2 years.

Stats:
26 goals 12 assists in 53 games

Individual Honours:
- PL 2nd top goalscorer
- Ballon D'or 2nd place

Trophies
- PL
- League cup

Performance:

Alpha 1

Ok, but I am just trying to give the more balance view/perspective of what actually his "poor season" means. In terms of stats 08/09 was probably one of his least impressive year during his peak years (38 goals+assists). In terms of performance I think he was still the one of most exciting attacker around, but just not as good or consistence as his previous 2 years.

Stats:
26 goals 12 assists in 53 games

Individual Honours:
- PL 2nd top goalscorer
- Ballon D'or 2nd place

Trophies
- PL
- League cup
I generally don't like youtube videos because they hide the bad parts and highlight the good ones making a Fiat look like a Ferrari.

Ronaldo was way below par that season until March/April and he wasn't our best player nor the second best player in the world. The stats, like it has been for him over his career do not reflect his allround performance. Our title was won by our defense.

Luke1995

Is it way too unrealistic to expect him to play till 41 ? Pretty much hoping for two more years given he still appears to love it.

stevoc

Is it way too unrealistic to expect him to play till 41 ? Pretty much hoping for two more years given he still appears to love it.
He could probably play over in Saudi Arabai until he's 45+ if he wants to.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Completely normal reaction from him

Tbh, despite him stirring the pot constantly, it must be obnoxious. Its not like boxing where they can duke it out. Still he told his fanboys the debate is over and then he went on a obvious jibe when he said the saudi something league is better than ligue 1.

SirAF

Ageist
I'd expect him to keep going until goal #1000 as long as he doesn't have any fitness/injury complications.

Rojow

He will play as long as Messi is playing. He lives rent free in his head. He needs that goal record to be his.

Gehrman

Completely normal reaction from him

I thought he gesticulated that "Im here, Messi isnt". I think having rivals fans chant Messi all the time would grind his gears. I can't fault him for reacting, but he doesnt do himself favours in that regard but its too late for that now. I cant fault him for expressing some irritation. I think both of them wants the whole thing to die after 15 years of it.

Gehrman

He's pathetic but grown men chanting in unison for Messi is a sign of an advanced species? Sure thing lads
Can you remember the paedophile chants at Wenger from our fans? Football fans at games are like the stereotype of Neanderthals. No offense meant against Tevez.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
Tbh, despite him stirring the pot constantly, it must be obnoxious. Its not like boxing where they can duke it out. Still he told his fanboys the debate is over and then he went on a obvious jibe when he said the saudi something league is better than ligue 1.
I thought he gesticulated that "Im here, Messi isnt". I think having rivals fans chant Messi all the time would grind his gears. I can't fault him for reacting, but he doesnt do himself favours in that regard but its too late for that now. I cant fault him for expressing some irritation. I think both of them wants the whole thing to die after 15 years of it.
I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this again tomorrow.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
He's pathetic but grown men chanting in unison for Messi is a sign of an advanced species? Sure thing lads
Chanting for Messi is sad in itself but he's near 40 and he's still triggered so easily? Such a fragile ego for someone who loves themselves so much.

Rojow

What do you think the rival players say to each other on the field? It is normal in sports to shoot the best players on the opposing team. Completely normal phenomenon. That abnormal phenomenon is that Ronaldo, who has been hearing this for years, reacts this way in a friendly match in a Saudi League. It's just pathetic.

He's a terrible loser, not long ago we saw him hit the hand-phone of a child playing for United.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Not sure what he wants, probably to ensure his records wouldn't be taken away. But think he will definitely give another try in Euro this summer, that could be his last international tournament.

As for Saudi, his contract would be up by end of next season, and he will turn 40 by then anyway. Fully expect he will easily get 900+ goals by end of this year (only need 27 goals) and could retired as the all time top goalscorer (his long time rival is currently 52 goals behind with numbers drying up too). But who knows, if he is on 930+ by then, he might be tempted to extend for another 2 years to have a final go to get his 1000. That would be quite a milestone to reach.

GlasgowCeltic

Not sure what he wants, probably to ensure his records wouldn't be taken away. But think he will definitely give another try in Euro this summer, that could be his last international tournament.

As for Saudi, his contract would be up by end of next season, and he will turn 40 by then anyway. Fully expect he will easily get 900+ goals by end of this year (only need 27 goals) and could retired as the all time top goalscorer (his long time rival is currently 52 goals behind with numbers drying up too). But who knows, if he is on 930+ by then, he might be tempted to extend for another 2 years to have a final go to get his 1000. That would be quite a milestone to reach.
can’t believe Martinez is gonna let this clown play another international tournament, he was dreadful in 2022

Zen

It's too obvious Lukaku is going to break his international record anyway. Imagine continuing on in pointless games because you fear Lukaku usurping you.

SirAF

Ageist
It's too obvious Lukaku is going to break his international record anyway. Imagine continuing on in pointless games because you fear Lukaku usurping you.
Lukaku is 45 behind him, I don't think he'll be playing (not for Belgium anyway) long enough to overtake.

bakalhau

Chanting for Messi is sad in itself but he's near 40 and he's still triggered so easily? Such a fragile ego for someone who loves themselves so much.
Dude mostly handles himself. He's been hearing this for over 13 years now at least, and he snapped like 10 times I can count over hundreds of away games. I don't think he gets triggered that easily if you actually account for you know, his entire career. I mean if you're pressured to snap over hundreds of games through the years, it's not abnormal to not take it as well a few times. I can't remember more than 10 times he's replied to the stands and I've watched all his games.

Think it's within the norm here. I think he's behaved quite well on the pitch, considering he's been the main target of the opposing team's players for his entire career as well. There was a few times he lashed out at other players and I can't say I was happy watching it, quite the contrary, but most of the time he stays focused on the match and away from clashes in the field.

And, well, at the very least, one of the few times he got triggered by the fans in the stand, it resulted in this legendary banter and comeback from Juventus. :lol:

As for the fans chanting Messi in the stands, well, they can chant whatever they want to, honestly, they paid for their ticket, as long as it stays within the boundary of basic human decency towards others (no racism, etc, etc, etc). It's up to Ronaldo to handle it well.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
A bad career end in terms of prestige and personal behaviour, but economically he's having the largest earning figures of all his career. If you make a comparison, what would be considered more successful? Being an engineer in Tesla and helping to create new technologies or going to an arab company earning several times your wage by just being a product manager?