Cristiano Ronaldo (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladron de redcafe

Because we are discussing possibility of Ronaldo going PSG, and both Messi and Neymar could become his teammates over there?

Sure Ronaldo isn't the best anymore, and they could better off sign someone who is younger/better too. But who else could they sign realistically? Haaland? I don't think he would want to go to play in Ligue 1.

Mbappe score 17 goals in 30 games (league+CL) this season, Ronaldo score 15 goals in 27 games (league+CL) this season. At least in terms of goalscoring, there isn't huge difference there.
As are the plethora of other players there. But this thread has nothing to do with the 7 time Balón D'or winner. Or Neymar. It has to do with Ronaldo specifically.

You keep repeating yourself in citing cumulative goals, which we have established is not meaningful because the like did Mbappé (and the rest) all offer more than scoring to their team. Despite that, Mbappé still scores more than Ronaldo, takes less shots, assists more, and contributes more to his team play than Ronaldo.

AndySmith1990

Bad results can really rise the toxicity level of the fans agains't the players. That doesn't help the team in any way.

About the news in the original post: it's rumour, don't take it as fact. AFAIK, Cristiano is commited to the club and he has always been a fighter. These kind of rumours are just there for the clickbait. There's nothing like bad news, or revolting news, to rise the emotions and engage the consumers.
Ronaldo leaving wouldn't be bad news though. Quite the opposite.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Because we are discussing possibility of Ronaldo going PSG, and both Messi and Neymar could become his teammates over there?

Sure Ronaldo isn't the best anymore, and they could better off sign someone who is younger/better too. But who else could they sign realistically? Haaland? I don't think he would want to go to play in Ligue 1.

Mbappe score 17 goals in 30 games (league+CL) this season, Ronaldo score 15 goals in 27 games (league+CL) this season. At least in terms of goalscoring, there isn't huge difference there.
Goalscoring is very important, however it isn't everything.

Technically, in terms of goalscoring ancient Cristiano isn't far off from Salah,Mane, Haaland, Vlahovic, Mbappé,etc but nobody in their right mind would pick current Ronaldo over those, as he doesn't offer anything aside from scoring, he is now like a muscular version of Inzaghi.

Ronaldo might go or not to PSG, but having two ancient players with zero work rate and no legs upfront doesn't seem like a good idea, not even for Ligue 1, as PSG have been bailed out by Mbappé very often in France.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
As are the plethora of other players there. But this thread has nothing to do with the 7 time Balón D'or winner. Or Neymar. It has to do with Ronaldo specifically.

You keep repeating yourself in citing cumulative goals, which we have established is not meaningful because the like did Mbappé (and the rest) all offer more than scoring to their team. Despite that, Mbappé still scores more than Ronaldo, takes less shots, assists more, and contributes more to his team play than Ronaldo.
Sure, but its still not as dramatic as you've suggested here.

If you still keep insisting no one could replace Mbappe, then maybe PSG should buy no one then. But it doesn't work like that.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Goalscoring is very important, however it isn't everything.

Technically, in terms of goalscoring ancient Cristiano isn't far off from Salah,Mane, Haaland, Vlahovic, Mbappé,etc but nobody in their right mind would pick current Ronaldo over those, as he doesn't offer anything aside from scoring, he is now like a muscular version of Inzaghi.

Ronaldo might go or not to PSG, but having two ancient players with zero work rate and no legs upfront doesn't seem like a good idea, not even for Ligue 1, as PSG have been bailed out by Mbappé very often in France.
Of course you don't replace the arguably best player in the world at 23, who is entering his physical peak, with someone who is already 37 and is nearly retiring.

But PSG sounds like a club who would do such thing. There's no way Mbappe would stay, and they are forced to find a replacement. They have signed old and aging Ibra, Beckham and Messi throughout the years, I don't see why they won't sign Ronaldo too.

Ladron de redcafe

Sure, but its still not as dramatic as you've suggested here.

If you still keep insisting no one could replace Mbappe, then maybe PSG should buy no one then. But it doesn't work like that.
It's a pretty drastic drop-off actually, because Mbappé is a much better player. And your sentence is pretty random. It isn't Ronaldo (whom PSG don't want) or nothing. They'll go for a great striker who offers a lot for the team and who will represent a lesser drop-off than signing Ronaldo would.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
It's a pretty drastic drop-off actually, because Mbappé is a much better player. And your sentence is pretty random. It isn't Ronaldo (whom PSG don't want) or nothing. They'll go for a great striker who offers a lot for the team and who will represent a lesser drop-off than signing Ronaldo would.
When we sold Ronnie back in late 2000s and replace him with Valencia, its quite a drastic drop-off too. But we still have to buy a replacement. What I am saying is, in terms of goalscoring, there's not much difference there. In terms of overall contribution on the pitch, of course there are. But who else are they going to sign who could replace both his numbers and overall contributions? Probably no one. So, they have got to be realistic and give in something, like we did with Valencia.

My guess is, they already have Messi and Neymar who are bad in numbers but good in overall contribution, maybe its not a bad idea to have someone who is good in numbers instead, to balance things out abit.

Ladron de redcafe

When we sold Ronnie back in late 2000s and replace him with Valencia, its quite a drastic drop-off too. But we still have to buy a replacement. What I am saying is, in terms of goalscoring, there's not much difference there. In terms of overall contribution on the pitch, of course there are. But who else are they going to sign who could replace both his numbers and overall contributions? Probably no one. So, they have got to be realistic and give in something, like we did with Valencia.
The bolded bit is what's key. There's a drastic drop-off. Almost every top forward in the top 5 leagues contributes more to their team's play than Ronaldo does. You don't lose Mbappé and replace him with someone who does contributes as little to his team as Ronaldo does. You go for better options.

Your stance seems to be that since replacing Mbappé is a very hard task, there's no prioritization as far as the replacement goes, which is daft. There are many better options for Ronaldo and signing any of them would be a better decision. And that's what they're going to do.

Corridor of Uncertainty

There is now a growing acceptance inside the club that bringing Ronaldo back after 11 years spent with Real Madrid and Juventus was an error of judgement driven by both commercial factors and the determination to stop him joining rivals Manchester City.

Wow - who saw that coming :rolleyes:

ronaldinhoisagoat

I can't believe that we have to bow before a guy who has scored 9 goals in 22 league games while earning £20m annually. He should be grateful to be here because no one else will take him.
I refuse to believe that City were serious about him. They did not even want to pay £15m to Juve that was asked for him.
Juve wanted him out.
PSG picked Messi over him.
Real publicly said that he wasn't a target.
Chelsea & Bayern didn't even attempt to get him.
Liverpool & Barca are closed for him.
And yet he thinks its United who should be grateful to have him.

troylocker

There is no chance Haaland goes to PSG at this stage of his career, 0%, so you're right on that one.
It is close to 100% chance of Mbappe leaving this summer, so PSG could be an alternative for him.
Exchanging Mbappe with Ronaldo 1 to 1 would be a horrible downgrade for them though.
Comparing Ronaldo's output with Mbappe's this season is a bit lazy, Mbappe has played 12 matches on the left wing and has 12 assists more than Ronaldo this season in the CL and League.

Unfortunately I can't see any of the top clubs taking a chance on him this summer.
Huge paycut and/or smaller team or there's a big chance he stays another year.

ClassOf'99

The pitchfork crew in our fanbase is almost maddening, although I'd agree Ronaldo isn't in prime form or anywhere near his prime.

We are looking to lose Cavani, most likely Martial, and be left with Rashford being the only player who can play as a 9, but based on his performances over the last year should be nowhere near that position.

I don't think getting rid of Ronaldo is a good solution regardless of who we sign, having Ronaldo as a back up and for CL games next season could work for us the same way Cavani did last year, substituted on in the last 20/30 to make an impact against tired legs.

I'm all for getting a fresh new Striker, but who is available? If we are going for youth <25 then would it not make sense for them to learn from Ronaldo as they approach their prime?

Water Melon

Problem with Cristiano is that he is a proper No9 only theoretically due to his GOAT achievements in the past. What we have seen so far this season is that the physicality and pace of EPL are too much for him. He can not dribble, hold the ball or finish the chances that he has as well as he used to. He is slow, can not run away, can not dribble past, can not play with the his back to goal while his finishing is getting worse too. Why on Earth would you want him next season knowing full well that the decline will continue?

Infra-red

I fear he will stay for another season. Not good for us or him
There's no way he's sticking around for Europa Conference League football. Cavani is also off, which leaves us with very few (or possibly zero) striker options.

We will probably need two forwards and two central midfielders in the summer.

Biggins

The pitchfork crew in our fanbase is almost maddening, although I'd agree Ronaldo isn't in prime form or anywhere near his prime.

We are looking to lose Cavani, most likely Martial, and be left with Rashford being the only player who can play as a 9, but based on his performances over the last year should be nowhere near that position.

I don't think getting rid of Ronaldo is a good solution regardless of who we sign, having Ronaldo as a back up and for CL games next season could work for us the same way Cavani did last year, substituted on in the last 20/30 to make an impact against tired legs.

I'm all for getting a fresh new Striker, but who is available? If we are going for youth <25 then would it not make sense for them to learn from Ronaldo as they approach their prime?
I don't think that many on CAF would disagree with an idea of using Cristiano as a back up. However, this is not a realistic idea in the case of Cristiano who will want to still be the main man. If he ends up on the bench for a longer period, he will kick up the fuss. Nothing against him as this mentality made him the GOAT.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
There's no way he's sticking around for Europa Conference League football. Cavani is also off, which leaves us with very few (or possibly zero) striker options.

We will probably need two forwards and two central midfielders in the summer.
This keeps getting trotted out, but to where? No CL club who can afford his wage will want him. PSG is the only possibility, but the idea of Messi, Neymar, and Ronaldo working in a front 3... Yeah good luck.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
On the flip side, perhaps this summer is his last chance to get another big paycheck for 2 years from a major club?

At the end of his current contract you'd have to imagine that would be it for him - maybe an MLS team but can't imagine anywhere at the very top level. Whereas someone like PSG might still be willing to gamble on him and pay him what he wants for 2 seasons come the summer.
Football wages are probably not a factor for him since they are a drop in the bucket compared to what he makes on the outside. He has the most IG followers in the world and charges $1M per advert there. He could easily set aside a day a week to shoot 3 ads and that alone would dwarf his football wages (and that’s before other non-IG ads he does).

At this point, he seems more interested in family and playing football in a place where he Is happy to wind down his career.

Infra-red

This keeps getting trotted out, but to where? No CL club who can afford his wage will want him. PSG is the only possibility, but the idea of Messi, Neymar, and Ronaldo working in a front 3... Yeah good luck.
That front three will be dreadful, but I still expect PSG to try it.

cotumely

Supports
Chelsea

Best to put in mega bids for Lukaku and Werner. Striker problems solved for the next 5 years.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I think he’ll stay. Purely because no serious CL teams will want him at 37 at the 400 odd k we’re paying him
I doubt the 400k is a significant factor in the equation. He will want to compete first and foremost, while being revered.

The only CL competitive team with the money and lack of sense would be PSG. I could see Simeone having a stab at it but it would be as stupid as joining City.

CL option would be Sporting, but that would be his last club and I don't think he is there yet mentally. Take CL out of the equation and US makes more sense than United without it.

antohan

Football wages are probably not a factor for him since they are a drop in the bucket compared to what he makes on the outside. He has the most IG followers in the world and charges $1M per advert there. He could easily set aside a day a week to shoot 3 ads and that alone would dwarf his football wages (and that’s before other non-IG ads he does).

At this point, he seems more interested in family and playing football in a place where he Is happy to wind down his career.
Agree. I don't understand why people expect these guys to be so focused on wages at this point in their lives and careers.

talking robot

i think he’s been decent for us without being a world beater. dont mind if he stays or goes. whats best next year will depend on a lot of factors (our champions league status; the new manager; who we bring in). its impossible to say one way or the other without a lot of additional information.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Agree. I don't understand why people expect these guys to be so focused on wages at this point in their lives and careers.
Too much money ain’t enough money

antohan

Too much money ain’t enough money
Not sure you have the sort of money to say that with any authority :p

Making 400k a week or 200k a week is largely irrelevant for him in financial terms. Self-worth? That's another story.

Messi never budged on wages at Barca... until it became crystal clear it had nowt to do with his value/worth/status but it was then too late to do it.

I could see Cristiano going to Sporting at some point, not because he cares about the actual money but because not getting a large wedge off a rich club reflects badly on his status... so you go to someone who can't pay it under the guise of romance, etc.

It's a lot more to do with ego than money they don't really need.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Once we bring in Brendan Rodgers he will figure out a way to make juice from the twilight years of CR7s career. I have no doubt in this.

EtH

He should never have come back in the first place. He's stained his impeccable career by re-associating himself with United. Would've been better off going to City.
Can’t wait to get shot of him so I don’t have to read nonsense like this anymore.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I love how numpties on here have now decided CR7 is shit, a problem and should be shown the door.....
I think for quite a few it's a bit more nuanced. Most if not all of us bought into the romance of it (I certainly did) and he's obviously still got quality, but the major issue we have is that he doesn't have the physical capability of playing every game, 90 minutes, but that's what he wants. Now, we also have a manager who was strong enough to sub him off when he needed to but our most gifted young player for the last 25 years has evaporated into thin air and Cavani is always injured, leaving us seeing Ronnie playing 3 matches in one week where he has very limited impact.

We're unlikely to be anywhere other than Europa next season and that's not really how he wants to bow out in Europe so he'll likely take a pay cut and go back to Portugal or if PSG somehow decide it makes sense, he'll go there. I don't know how much money the club generates on the back of his name, but his performances are not meriting anything close to what he's being paid.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I love how numpties on here have now decided CR7 is shit, a problem and should be shown the door.....
He's an easy target. Even at his previous peak here, there was a contingent that didn't like him - the same ones who repeatedly scoffed at the idea that he should come back when he was peak CR7 at Madrid.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
CR7 would thrive if there was a modicum of consistency in this team. He, at 37, can't be a perennial standout when everyone around him is struggling.

Rojow

He's an easy target. Even at his previous peak here, there was a contingent that didn't like him - the same ones who repeatedly scoffed at the idea that he should come back when he was peak CR7 at Madrid.
It's an easy target bacause of many reason. Principal it's the wages he has. We could have at least 2 good players for those wages.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It's an easy target bacause of many reason. Principal it's the wages he has. We could have at least 2 good players for those wages.
We still could have, had we not retained the likes of Cavani, Mata, Lingard, and any number of others. No need to blame the guy who has knocked in a majority of our goals this year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.