Cristiano Ronaldo - Performances (wums will be thread banned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zen

Neither of the pundits put Ronaldo in their team of the season.....yet both had Neymar, bit odd.

wr8_utd

:'(
His goals have masked his performances so maybe that's why. His overall play has been far better in recent week but he was pretty poor (by his own supremely high standards) for a lot of the season.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Neither of the pundits put Ronaldo in their team of the season.....yet both had Neymar, bit odd.
He's only really turned up over the last month or so. Was pretty poor before that. But he's definitely shown up when it's mattered the most.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
I can see the attraction of leaving the Spanish and European champions where the team is set up to make him score to come to a league and team like United who play Thursday nights and come 6th.
Last time he was in a team who had gone to two consecutive CL finals where he fitted in perfectly he moved to a team that had won nothing to face a team that had just won the treble. He's not afraid of taking a chance and facing different challenges

wr8_utd

Last time he was in a team who had gone to two consecutive CL finals where he fitted in perfectly he moved to a team that had won nothing to face a team that had just won the treble. He's not afraid of taking a chance and facing different challenges
a) This is a league he's played and dominated already.
b) This is a far bigger challenge than beating Barca :lol: We're pretty average.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
So last period he scored 5 goals vs Bayern, 3 vs Atletico to lead Madrid to the final.

And scored 2 vs Seville, 2 vs Celta and one today to wrap the league for Madrid, too.

He really appeared at the crucial period of the season.
He's in decline, he's just a poacher, he contributes nothing to the all-around play.

gibers

Monster of a player. Ironically, I think that he is a better footballer, for the team at least than when he was in his physical prime because he intervenes in the right moments rather than trying and failing to do too much.

Champagne Football

Kaka used to not turn up until around March when the real business began. He'd be in 3rd gear all season and would look finished then suddenly by March he'd be the difference in every major game and Milan would sweep all before them. Ronaldo seems to have done something along those lines this season only Ronaldo has been better in the last 2 months than probably any player has been in any 2 months in the history of the game

Redondo_Pirri

Supports
Real Madrid
So with today's goal Ronaldo has reached 50 goals for club and country for the 2016/2017 season.

40 goals and 12 assists in 45 appearances for the club.

International goals as follows:
7th October 2016 - 4 goals vs Andorra
10th October 2016 - 1 goal vs Faroe Islands
13th November 2016 - 2 goals v Latvia
25th March 2017 - 2 goals v Hungary
28th March 2017 - 1 goal v Sweden

In total 50 goals in 50 appearances for club and country.

SirAF

Ageist
So with today's goal Ronaldo has reached 50 goals for club and country for the 2016/2017 season.

40 goals and 12 assists in 45 appearances for the club.

International goals as follows:
7th October 2016 - 4 goals vs Andorra
10th October 2016 - 1 goal vs Faroe Islands
13th November 2016 - 2 goals v Latvia
25th March 2017 - 2 goals v Hungary
28th March 2017 - 1 goal v Sweden

In total 50 goals in 50 appearances for club and country.
:drool:

Zen

His goals have masked his performances so maybe that's why. His overall play has been far better in recent week but he was pretty poor (by his own supremely high standards) for a lot of the season.
Given he's a goalscorer now first and foremost, they've masked nothing. He's done his job, better than anyone else in the world who's got the same job as him this season. And no not just the past few months though he's clearly stepped it up.....hat-trick AT Alaves(1-4), hat-trick AT Atletico(0-3), two against Gijon(2-1).....there ya go, theres 9 points from 2 directly from his contribution, all before Christmas, putting them in pole position.

I think Messi is the La Liga player of the year, comfortably, probably ahead of RM's fullback machine pairing, but in terms of forwards, theres no way Ronaldo isn't the second best this year.

Kaka used to not turn up until around March when the real business began
That more or less happened once.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
I have a postcard for Cri from a WUM named Giorgio to be delivered on Jun 3 :lol:

wr8_utd

Given he's a goalscorer now first and foremost, they've masked nothing. He's done his job, better than anyone else in the world who's got the same job as him this season. And no not just the past few months though he's clearly stepped it up.....hat-trick AT Alaves(1-4), hat-trick AT Atletico(0-3), two against Gijon(2-1).....there ya go, theres 9 points from 2 directly from his contribution, all before Christmas, putting them in pole position.

I think Messi is the La Liga player of the year, comfortably, probably ahead of RM's fullback machine pairing, but in terms of forwards, theres no way Ronaldo isn't the second best this year.

Until a couple of months ago I'd say Neymar was the better player because he really has been very very good but yeah I agree, taking the past 2 crucial months into account, Ronaldo should be ahead of Neymar for sure.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Until a couple of months ago I'd say Neymar was the better player because he really has been very very good but yeah I agree, taking the past 2 crucial months into account, Ronaldo should be ahead of Neymar for sure.
Over the course of the season, Messi is the best in the league, followed by Ronaldo. But in Europe though Ronaldo is easily the best player by far. Whereas based on this year form, performance, and overall contribution, Ronaldo is simply the best.

Gonçalo Motta

I dunno how to rate Zidane as a manager overall since the quality of this RM side is top notch and is probably masking his flaws as a manager but his player management is world class.
In a time where usually most teams struggle because they are tired after a full season, this RM side still looks fresh and the way he handle Ronaldo so he could be fresh for the last part of the season is incredible.

Alot of credit goes for Ronaldo aswell. The guy is 32 years old and he lives for the sport. The way he adapted his game after a obvious decline and the way he reshaped his body to minimize that decline is extraordinary.
He gained some of his speed back, his positioning in front of the goal is the best I ever seen (always was), he is still lethal as always with less wasted chances and he is more active in defensive duties and in building up plays.
If he showed signs of declining at some point, he now looks as good as always. Easily one of the most incredible players / athletes I ever seen.

Reactions: sizzling sausages

wr8_utd

Over the course of the season, Messi is the best in the league, followed by Ronaldo. But in Europe though Ronaldo is easily the best player by far. Whereas based on this year form, performance, and overall contribution, Ronaldo is simply the best.
I guess if you count 3 games as being best in Europe then yes I agree. In the groups Messi dominated, in the knockouts Juve players and Ronaldo, Marcelo and Kroos/Modric have dominated. There haven't been too many consistent standout players in the CL this year imo.

Sparky10Legend

Kaka used to not turn up until around March when the real business began. He'd be in 3rd gear all season and would look finished then suddenly by March he'd be the difference in every major game and Milan would sweep all before them. Ronaldo seems to have done something along those lines this season only Ronaldo has been better in the last 2 months than probably any player has been in any 2 months in the history of the game
Wow, just wow.

Zen

On the basis of what? Name them performances prior to March that truly elevate him above Ronaldo for the season at that point, and for you, seemingly easily....from October to February, Neymar collected more yellow cards that he collected goals or assists. He had a monster patch around the PSG game which he was sublime in, but then it kind of faded away again....Ronaldo's monster patch hasn't stopped since.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
how many goals do you need to score per season to not have had a bad one? bizarre

wr8_utd

On the basis of what? Name them performances prior to March that truly elevate him above Ronaldo for the season at that point, and for you, seemingly easily....from October to February, Neymar collected more yellow cards that he collected goals or assists. He had a monster patch around the PSG game which he was sublime in, but then it kind of faded away again....Ronaldo's monster patch hasn't stopped since.
I genuinely think Neymar has been great most of the season. He was creating goals, his dribbling has been absolutely outstanding and I thought he's been far better than Suarez and his 40 odd goals for me. The PSG game was ofcourse the pinnacle.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
I guess if you count 3 games as being best in Europe then yes I agree. In the groups Messi dominated, in the knockouts Juve players and Ronaldo, Marcelo and Kroos/Modric have dominated. There haven't been too many consistent standout players in the CL this year imo.
Ronaldo didn't score vs Napoli but he played 2 fantastic matches against them too, at the Bernabeu he played one of the best 3 matches of his season. So far this is the best performances I've ever seen from a player in the CL knockouts. In the groups I only saw him playing against Sporting since we played at the same time in the other games and he was probably the best man on the pitch during the two games. He didn't play like he's playing now but I still think he's been very comfortably the best player in european competitions this season.

As for Neymar, he's had superb periods and periods where he went completely missing. He's too inconsistent still, especially with his finishing. What's the point of all the pretty dribbling if in the end it doesn't end up in a goal? He's got all the talent in the world but he still needs to go up a level

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Last 9 games:

Bayern away
Bayern at home
Barcelona at home
Valencia at home
Atlético at home
Atlético away
Seville at home
Celta away
Malaga away

14 goals... It's insane

Zen

I genuinely think Neymar has been great most of the season. He was creating goals, his dribbling has been absolutely outstanding and I thought he's been far better than Suarez and his 40 odd goals for me. The PSG game was ofcourse the pinnacle.
Well he wasn't creating that many goals in the period I asked about....just the six assists to Ronaldos eight....so again, I ask, name some performances in that period that easily sweep him above Ronaldo

Champagne Football

I can remember twice but I'm sure there's been 3 times

Zii

I think the argument has to be made that overall the years of football Ronaldo has had the best Career.

wr8_utd

I think the argument has to be made that overall the years of football Ronaldo has had the best Career.
I think Messi has more or around the same trophies, no? Don't want to make this a Ronaldo v Messi thread ofcourse.
Well he wasn't creating that many goals in the period I asked about....just the six assists to Ronaldos eight....so again, I ask, name some performances in that period that easily sweep him above Ronaldo
I was just trying to give you reasons as to why Neymar might have been included in the TOTY over Ronaldo. Ronaldo's performance were pretty average for more than half the season and I think Madrid fan would agree with that as well. He'll always get loads of goals but he played pretty poorly whenever I saw him. Maybe whoever seelected the team voted 2 months ago?
Ronaldo didn't score vs Napoli but he played 2 fantastic matches against them too, at the Bernabeu he played one of the best 3 matches of his season. So far this is the best performances I've ever seen from a player in the CL knockouts. In the groups I only saw him playing against Sporting since we played at the same time in the other games and he was probably the best man on the pitch during the two games. He didn't play like he's playing now but I still think he's been very comfortably the best player in european competitions this season.

As for Neymar, he's had superb periods and periods where he went completely missing. He's too inconsistent still, especially with his finishing. What's the point of all the pretty dribbling if in the end it doesn't end up in a goal? He's got all the talent in the world but he still needs to go up a level
His finishing has always been poor for me at Barca. However he got close to 30 goals I think in the treble season but I found him a bigger threat as a player this season. Maybe it's just me but I've just found him to be a better player this year despite the lesser goals than he had earlier.

wr8_utd

I think Messi has more or around the same trophies, no? Don't want to make this a Ronaldo v Messi thread ofcourse.
I was just trying to give you reasons as to why Neymar might have been included in the TOTY over Ronaldo. Ronaldo's performance were pretty average for more than half the season and I think Madrid fan would agree with that as well. He'll always get loads of goals but he played pretty poorly whenever I saw him. Maybe whoever seelected the team voted 2 months ago?

His finishing has always been poor for me at Barca. However he got close to 30 goals I think in the treble season but I found him a bigger threat as a player this season. Maybe it's just me but I've just found him to be a better player this year despite the lesser goals than he had earlier.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
The thing about Ronaldo is he has matured very well as a player both in his intelligence and commitment to adapt his game as well as his character. When he was on his physical prime there was no question about his talent and skills but his main criticism was that he wasn't a proper 'leader' or someone who could carry a team like Zidane or Maradona. That type of discussion is very subjective and for some time I also believed he hadn't that type of personality (as someone like Zidane) despite him trying hard to be that type of player, it just wasn't natural to him and he was trying too hard but since the last summer where he won the Euro with Portugal I think he has become more level headed and confident which at the same time inspires more confidence in both the fans and his teammates.

I attribute all of this to maturity and his vast experience so I think he's at a goo stage of his career where he has become very reliable and I hope he delivers in the UCL final!

Cal?

CR7 fan
You got to admire the dedication of that lot in that other thread. Despite the fact the Ronaldo looks like he'd win it all this season, they are still clinging to the dominant CL group stage and one off goals. :lol:

SirAF

Ageist
You got to admire the dedication of that lot in that other thread. Despite the fact the Ronaldo looks like he'd win it all this season, they are still clinging to the dominant CL group stage and one off goals. :lol:
I don't venture in there, but I don't doubt it for a second :lol:

Zen

I can remember twice but I'm sure there's been 3 times
Other than 2007?

I was just trying to give you reasons as to why Neymar might have been included in the TOTY over Ronaldo. Ronaldo's performance were pretty average for more than half the season and I think Madrid fan would agree with that as well. He'll always get loads of goals but he played pretty poorly whenever I saw him. Maybe whoever selected the team voted 2 months ago?
And again, even if decided 2 months ago, theres nothing(and you keep ignoring this point) to suggest Neymar was superior to Ronaldo at that point anyway. Either way they weren't decided two months ago, it was just a few pundits doing it on the end of season show.

AndyJ1985

The funny thing is there's no one in the Messi thread that behaves in such a strange obsessive way like you do with Ronaldo. You know it's possible to be fans of the pair of them, right? No need to turn it in to some weird ****-like following.

MJJ

The funny thing is there's no one in the Messi thread that behaves in such a strange obsessive way like you do with Ronaldo. You know it's possible to be fans of the pair of them, right? No need to turn it in to some weird ****-like following.
I don't know, some of these barca posters are worse. At least with Cal it's only one poster.

Status
Not open for further replies.