Cristiano Ronaldo | Real confirm deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
Yes and they're in their rights to not give them the contract he wants if they don't want to do it but he certainly has a point in asking for a raise.
Did he also have a point in being angry at the improved contract we offered him? Surely that's a bit much, no?

He's a great player, arguably our best ever, but an even bigger primadonna. He has always been one on it and now off it too.

I wonder what Marcelo must think seeing him throw his tantrum.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
No and you won't give him that and neither is he asking for it. The news was that he was asking for 30 million, if you're giving him 27 million then sooner or later they'll agree a deal, that's barely any difference.

How much do you think Neymar will get if he moves to Madrid? If you're so outraged at Ronaldo asking for a lot of money then I'd love to see your reaction when Neymar's making twice as much. Atletico will be paying more to Griezmann than what Madrid's paying to Ronaldo. No matter how you look at it, it's not hard to understand why this would make Ronaldo upset now is it?

If you think he's a fecking twat for it then you can go ahead and think it anyway, it's just more of the same and at this point any little excuse will do. Maybe you should have sold him in 2015 and bought Hazard instead.

In a way, it's hard to understand, Atletico will raise Griez wages because he had a 100M clause, not a 1000M one, and other teams wanted to pay him more than what he earned in Madrid and a biggest shot at tiles, do you see anyone putting 100M+ on the desk for Ronaldo and offering to raise his actual wages at Real Madrid and a better squad?.

If we talk about deserving, then Griezmann works his ass more than any player in Real Madrid not named Casemiro, if we talk about the current market, Atletico have to raise his wage because other teams threaten to do so, that's not happening with Ronaldo, because the same way Ronaldo could use his age and appeal to other teams 10 or 6 years ago to demand more money, he's now in a situation were his age is a handicap in contract negotiations, not a weapon.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Remind me again why he signed his current contract if he thought he was so underpaid?
Because he wasn't underpaid at the time, things change fast.

Do you believe it to be normal that Atletico are offering Griezmann more money than what Madrid are paying Ronaldo?

De Portago

Supports
Red Star

Do you believe it to be normal that Atletico are offering Griezmann more money than what Madrid are paying Ronaldo?
If you would have to pick between giving a long term contract to Ronaldo or Griezmann at a reported wage Atletico are offering, what would you choose?

Player is only worth whatever the club they're at currently deem to be their worth, they can always ask for a transfer if they are not satisfied with the offer. Ronaldo can keep pointing at his Ballon d'Or total and pout, it will not change anything.

EyeInTheSky

Probably because they haven’t anywhere near as many players on huge contracts as Real and have the budget to pay 1 player that silly wage(a star key player for them)

Vato

Supports
Real Madrid

But we already have Ronaldo under contract until 2021, at which point he will be what, 35? 36?

If he thinks we should offer him the same as Messi or Neymar, who are much younger, I think he's a bit deluded tbf.

I'd be fine if we gave him that 7m raise if it's what Florentino promised him. But what he's asking is just a bit ridiculous, seriously.

Just because a lucky guy somewhere managed to score an incredible contract doesn't mean we should match it, it just doesn't work that way.

We'd go bankrupt if our whole team was thinking like that.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
In a way, it's hard to understand, Atletico will raise Griez wages because he had a 100M clause, not a 1000M one, and other teams wanted to pay him more than what he earned in Madrid and a biggest shot at tiles, do you see anyone putting 100M+ on the desk for Ronaldo and offering to raise his actual wages at Real Madrid and a better squad?.
I'm confident PSG will, if not this year then next.

The problem with this is Ronaldo's the one getting hate from his team's fans for not running his contract down :lol:

Griezmann and Messi got the huge contracts by holding their clubs ransom... Ronaldo's trying to negotiate with the club and Madrid fans are the ones angry at their own player because some random media source says he's unhappy for the 1000th time despite everyone knowing that already. It's bonkers.

if we talk about the current market, Atletico have to raise his wage because other teams threaten to do so, that's not happening with Ronaldo, because the same way Ronaldo could use his age and appeal to other teams 10 or 6 years ago to demand more money, he's now in a situation were his age is a handicap in contract negotiations, not a weapon.
Age, years left on his contract and release clause matters.. but if there are football fans that don't understand why Ronaldo would be upset at earning less money from Madrid than what Griezmann gets from Atletico then there is no point even talking about it.

Vato

Supports
Real Madrid

The problem with this is Ronaldo's the one getting hate from his team's fans for not running his contract down :lol:

Griezmann and Messi got the huge contracts by holding their clubs ransom... Ronaldo's trying to negotiate with the club and Madrid fans are the ones angry at their own player because some random media source says he's unhappy for the 1000th time despite everyone knowing that already. It's bonkers.
Come on, dude, be a bit objective here. The way he did it with his comments just after the final whistle of the CL final is what is still bothering most of us. It's just a ridiculous thing to do.

TheRedScot

In Any Fight It’s The Guy Whose Willing To Die Who

Age, years left on his contract and release clause matters.. but if there are football fans that don't understand why Ronaldo would be upset at earning less money from Madrid than what Griezmann gets from Atletico then there is no point even talking about it.
:lol::lol::lol:

AndyJ1985

He's been one of the worlds highest earning sports stars for the last decade. Anyone sympathising with him because he's not earning a few million more is soft in the head.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
But we already have Ronaldo under contract until 2021, at which point he will be what, 35? 36?

If he thinks we should offer him the same as Messi or Neymar, who are much younger, I think he's a bit deluded tbf.

I'd be fine if we gave him that 7m raise if it's what Florentino promised him. But what he's asking is just a bit ridiculous, seriously.

Just because a lucky guy somewhere managed to score an incredible contract doesn't mean we should match it, it just doesn't work that way.

He's not asking for that though, every single report said he was asking for 30 million which would be a 9 million increase. Even if that might be pushing it for his age and the fact Madrid are in a very strong position in these negotiations, it's hardly like it's a insane amount of money that would have any big impact on the club especially given it's just for 3 years. I understand the club being reticent to give him the money but I don't understand so many fans being upset he's asking for it.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona

You can't reduce this to the "Griezmann is earning more money" argument, because then Modric, Kroos or Marcelo have been robbed in their Real Madrid careers compared to Benzema, Ronaldo or Ramos.

As a football fan I think it would be harder for Atletico to replace Griezmann than Ronaldo for Real Madrid, not just in the next season, but in a 3+ season project, it's the same reason why some mid/low table teams have to overpay their star players, to appease their urge to leave for another club. If Atletico get 100M for Griezmann, they probably can't aspire to lure out Lewandowski, Hazard, Mbappe, Neymar, Kane or Dybala, if Real get 100M for Ronaldo they have a realistic shot at getting those players, if not this summer, the next one.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
You can't reduce this to the "Griezmann is earning more money" argument, because then Modric, Kroos or Marcelo have been robbed in their Real Madrid careers compared to Benzema, Ronaldo or Ramos.
They have, not sure about the others but Marcelo has every right to be asking for more money than what he's getting for example.

That wasn't even an opinion, it was a fact so I don't understand the laughter. Maybe my english wasn't good enough but I meant that if Madrid are negotiating a new contract in such a comfortable position it's because Ronaldo did not put them in that uncomfortable position. Neymar got the huge contract because it's the only way PSG could get him, Messi got the huge contract by running his contract down and Griezmann will get his huge contract due to his release clause.

Come on, dude, be a bit objective here. The way he did it with his comments just after the final whistle of the CL final is what is still bothering most of us. It's just a ridiculous thing to do.
That's a different thing then, I understand being mad at that for the timing of it.

He's been one of the worlds highest earning sports stars for the last decade. Anyone sympathising with him because he's not earning a few million more is soft in the head.
I didn't say you should feel bad for him ffs. I said it wasn't hard to understand why he wouldn't be happy earning what he's earning when you look at what other stars are getting.

reddaz71

The wider picture later this summer for us is Mourinho is probably intrigued by the idea of bringing Ronaldo AND Bale in and quite possibly sacrificing either one of De Gea or Pogba or both, something big is brewing you watch!

Vato

Supports
Real Madrid
I didn't say you should feel bad for him ffs. I said it wasn't hard to understand why he wouldn't be happy earning what he's earning when you look at what other stars are getting.
Well, if he took a look in his own dressing room he would be really happy tbh. Why always look at the few ones who have it better?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He's not asking for that though, every single report said he was asking for 30 million which would be a 9 million increase. Even if that might be pushing it for his age and the fact Madrid are in a very strong position in these negotiations, it's hardly like it's a insane amount of money that would have any big impact on the club especially given it's just for 3 years. I understand the club being reticent to give him the money but I don't understand so many fans being upset he's asking for it.
Exactly. If Madrid doesn't like him anyway, or can't match Ronaldo's demand, they can just sell him. A win win to both parties.

It's just supply and demand.

Brightonian

The wider picture later this summer for us is Mourinho is probably intrigued by the idea of bringing Ronaldo AND Bale in and quite possibly sacrificing either one of De Gea or Pogba or both, something big is brewing you watch!
What a fecking mess that would be. Give me strength.

TheRedScot

In Any Fight It’s The Guy Whose Willing To Die Who
Your right Vato.

Ronaldo was the highest paid athlete in football for years. Even before he Became ridiculously Efficient in KO stages of the CL. He is at the very tail end of a great career. Real Madrid have paid him extremely well(best paid footballer in the world for many years). Also Real at Ronaldos request have pushed a huge Media Circus in his direction about him being the best. I can remember 5 or 6 year ago he through a hissy fit at Real not supporting his individual achievements. The guy however talented he may be is Extremely selfish.

I think Real Madrid are handling it perfectly. When Ronaldo was gave his New contract it made him the highest earning footballer in the world. Its not Reals Fault that inflation Has took its toll on his already great contract.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Messi gets paid 50m a year (after tax), and none of Barca's fans (in here) even give a feck. Ronaldo, Ballon d'Or holder in the last two years, and massively helping Madrid getting 3 consecutive CL trophies; only asking 30m.

Why I'm not surprised to see the different reaction from both fans.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Messi gets paid 50m a year (after tax), and none of Barca's fans (in here) even give a feck. Ronaldo, Ballon d'Or holder in the last two years, and massively helping Madrid getting 3 consecutive CL trophies; only asking 30m.

Messi did not tell the world of his unhappiness right after a CL final. Think it's also partly due to desperation. Messi was gonna walk for free.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Messi did not tell the world of his unhappiness right after a CL final. Think it's also partly due to desperation. Messi was gonna walk for free.
That's right. Why would Ronaldo showed his "unhappiness" if things could go smoothly behind the scene with Madrid?

How's so Messi was allowed to "almost walk on free" when seems like he signed up a new contract every other year? Barca were willing to negotiate, without him had to show his 'unhappiness' to the press.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Take your point, but Messi is 31 in less than 2 weeks, and Ronaldo is 33. He's not "Much younger". Neymar is, yes.

AndyJ1985

You're the one who keeps waffling on about Messi.

It doesn't fecking matter what Messi gets paid.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

£50m after tax? So probably about £1.5m a week gross!? That's silly.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
You're the one who keeps waffling on about Messi.

It doesn't fecking matter what Messi gets paid.
As a pro, it does fecking matter on what your other colleague getting paid. Sorry, I guess you've never been an upper echelon pro, it seems.

Red Royal

Yawn. Another summer saga of Ronaldo throwing his toys out of his pram. He should only ever come back to United in an all-star match in the future.

Green_Red

I'd be devastated too if I only earned 20m a year.

The nerve from us to offer him a new deal for a measly 27m a year. It's a feckin insult if I'm honest.
Yea but he actually earns it, so why would you jold that against him? We all try to maximise our salaries, especially if youre skilled labour, nothing wrong with that. He just happens to be in the position that gets paid astronomical money. Theres no point being jealous about it.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Not convinced this is about money, but prestige/status - Cris needs to be seen to be 'valued' equally to Messi & co.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
We shouldn't become a retirement home to athletes looking for a step down before the USA type moves.

Bastian and Zlatan type moves are not what this club needs.

We need hungry players on the way up, or in their peak years - as great as Ronaldo's numbers are, I just think we should be looking elsewhere.

ReallyUSA

We shouldn't become a retirement home to athletes looking for a step down before the USA type moves.

We need hungry players on the way up, or in their peak years - as great as Ronaldo's numbers are , I just think we should be looking elsewhere.
Zlatan was a godsend. Schwjkwjftiger was a bad deal, but all these young guys got us feck all

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Zlatan was a godsend. Schwjkwjftiger was a bad deal, but all these young guys got us feck all
Hmm, I'm gonna disagree, to a degree.

I don't think Zlatan was a bad signing, and I agree that he was a far, far better signing than Bastian, but I still think ultimately we should've been looking elsewhere and had a different approach.

I don't think he really helped our football (or Mourinho's tenure) develop in the right direction. But that was Mourinho's decision.

Don't get me wrong, the guy is/was a great player, but I'm talking about signings in or approaching their peak years.

Especially given the fee and humongous wages.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Messi's wages are outrageous. That's nearly €100m a year. On one player!
More, actually

Don’t feel there’s anyone who can fill the void if he leaves immediately.
He's not eternal, we will have to move on sooner or later. This is actually a good time for it. After 3 CL in a row, a competitive but trophyless transition season would not be the the earth-shattering disaster it would normally be
Again, it has nothing to do with how much he makes, but how much a player like him is worth in the market.

Your argument is like Goldman Sachs offering their employees smaller packages than Morgan Stanley and justifying it by "You don't need that much anyway".
It's supply and demand. If there's a club willing to give him what he wants, all he has to do is bring us an offer. We're not holding him hostage. Posturing aside, i think we'd try to facilitate a move if he's adamant about it. Of course we won't just let him walk for peanuts though

That's a different thing then, I understand being mad at that for the timing of it.
That is the whole thing. What pisses us off is the way he's gone about it. The tax case doesn't help either. He can talk all he wants about this being about status, but go convince the vast majority of people the issue isn't related to the tax case...
Take your point, but Messi is 31 in less than 2 weeks, and Ronaldo is 33. He's not "Much younger". Neymar is, yes.
When Messi's current deal expires, he will be...33

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin

We need hungry players on the way up, or in their peak years - as great as Ronaldo's numbers are, I just think we should be looking elsewhere.
I agree. I absolutely wouldn’t want Ronaldo here again at this stage in his career. He’s a great player but not what we need anymore. We need to be signing prospects who have a similar level of potential to a young Rooney and Ronaldo. That’s the good stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.