g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Cristiano Ronaldo | Real confirm deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadMike

Well there's two sides to it. The logical/rational and the emotional/irrational.

The latter is based on the fact that I wasn't happy with his conduct when he left. The whole "being treated like a slave" bullshit and openly courting Madrid for two years. To some it matters, to some it does not. It's personal.

The former is based on a number of factors. His performances have been in decline for a couple of years and it's been especially evident in this season's La Liga. He's also a pretty selfish player on the final 3rd this days. He hardly ever creates goals for others, takes shots on even at the lowest probability of scoring while, throwing tantrums if someone doesn't pass him the ball. He takes all set pieces despite being shit at them.

He also didn't have a good relationship with Mourinho at Madrid with several reported fall outs. He also doesn't fit into the type of team that Mou tries to build with hardworking forwards, he certainly isn't one of them these days unless his team has the ball around the opposition box. I just don't think the current Ronaldo would fit in so well as a person and as a footballer at this United side.

He's now a striker and to be honest he's still probably the best in-the-box striker in the world. I'm not denying him his greatness as a footballer. He'd probably still bang 30+ goals here, if not the 40 he banged at Madrid. I'm just not convinced the entire package he brings is worth it.

And I know I said "even if he were to come for free" but we all know the reason he's unhappy at Madrid is money. He has no real intention to come back at United. He would happily go to the highest bidder if he leaves Madrid. Not that there's anything wrong with that, mind.

Last edited:

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Well there's two sides to it. The logical/rational and the emotional/irrational.

The latter is based on the fact that I wasn't happy with his conduct when he left. The whole "being treated like a slave" bullshit and openly courting Madrid for two years. To some it matters, to some it does not. It's personal.

The former is based on a number of factors. His performances have been in decline for a couple of years and it's been especially evident in this season's La Liga. He's also a pretty selfish player on the final 3rd this days. He hardly ever creates goals for others, takes shots on even at the lowest probability of scoring while, throwing tantrums if someone doesn't pass him the ball. He also didn't have a good relationship with Mourinho at Madrid with several reported fall outs. He also doesn't fit into the type of team that Mou tries to build with hardworking forwards, he certainly isn't one of them these days unless the team has the ball around the opposition box. I just don't think the current Ronaldo would fit in so well as a person and as a footballer.

He's now a striker and to be honest he's still probably the best in-the-box striker in the world. I'm not denying him his greatness as a footballer. He'd probably still bang 30 goals here, if not the 40 he banged at Madrid. I'm just not convinced the entire package he brings is worth it.

And I know I said "even if he were to come for free" but we all know the reason he's unhappy at Madrid is money. He has no real intention to come back at United. He would happily go to the highest bidder if he leaves Madrid. Not that there's anything wrong with that, mind.
You wouldn't hold it against him if he went to City?

MadMike

You wouldn't hold it against him if he went to City?
Now? Not particularly, no. He was happy to give his 10 best years to Madrid and act like a dick to achieve that. That's what I was unhappy about.

Where he goes to play from 33-34 onwards if he leaves Madrid is up to him. Like, I wouldn't be happy to see him City blue. But if they offer him a 1m per week after tax (50m a year after tax is what Messi is allegedly on, right?) then I wouldn't hold it against him for accepting it and going there either. He's not going from United to City, he already left us a decade ago.

Green_Red

In fairness he doesnt just play football, he also makes them a ton in merchandise sales. Winning 3 CLs back to back as the star player in the tournament, Id be asking for more money too, especially if I was 33 and limited playing time left. I dont understand why people back Real over the workers.

What has he won now, 3 Balon D'ors in a row too? feckin right Id be pissed if I wasnt the highest paid player in the game. If he isnt then you wonder what you have to do to be the highest.

MadMike

In fairness he doesnt just play football, he also makes them a ton in merchandise sales. Winning 3 CLs back to back as the star player in the tournament, Id be asking for more money too, especially if I was 33 and limited playing time left. I dont understand why people back Real over the workers.

What has he won now, 3 Balon D'ors in a row too? feckin right Id be pissed if I wasnt the highest paid player in the game. If he isnt then you wonder what you have to do to be the highest.
Contracts are forward looking. Clubs are understandably reluctant to pay huge packages to ageing players especially if those contracts are longer than a year and when there's signs of decline creeping in. Ronaldo already has another 2-3 years left as is, if I recall correctly.

For the last 10 years of his career Ronaldo has always been paid on par with Messi, being the best paid player in the world. So it's not as dramatic as you make sound. But obviously Ronaldo is a few years older so now we've reached a situation where Barca are happy to give something like 40% of their total salary outgoings to Messi, but Madrid are reluctant to do the same with Ronaldo.

Suhail

Real Madrid will always be bigger than Ronaldo
Being a man united fan, he should know this more than anyone else. SAF success was based on the concept that no one player is irreplaceable

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I'd be devastated too if I only earned 20m a year.

The nerve from us to offer him a new deal for a measly 27m a year. It's a feckin insult if I'm honest.
You should, if you were Ballon D'Or holder in the last 2 years (and possibly the next one), and getting paid half less than the other guy.

AndyJ1985

You should, if you were Ballon D'Or holder in the last 2 years (and possibly the next one), and getting paid half less than the other guy.
What has Messi got to do with anything? Real Madrid will offer Ronaldo what they think he is worth to them, not what Ronaldo thinks he is worth. If Ronaldo wants to earn as much as Messi then he can ask Barcelona to sign him and pay him as much, until then he should perhaps grow up, show a bit of humility, and stop being such a fecking bellend.

RedDevilUnited369

RM should offer him a year as the highest paid player then if he has an outstanding season, extend the offer. He has done them a service.

I really hope no one at UTD is considering him.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
What has Messi got to do with anything? Real Madrid will offer Ronaldo what they think he is worth to them, not what Ronaldo thinks he is worth. If Ronaldo wants to earn as much as Messi then he can ask Barcelona to sign him and pay him as much, until then he should perhaps grow up, show a bit of humility, and stop being such a fecking bellend.
He's a pro. Pro is getting paid based on the market price. Why is he wrong on asking to get paid as much as others in equal status to him?

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
Yeah, we should pay him 60m a year at least. That's the only way it would be fair.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
He's not asking for as much as Messi or even close to it, he's asking for a fair amount of money given what he's been doing and the wages the players who have a similar stature in the game are earning. What a fecking bellend.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I think the issue boils down to where CR7 sees this in the pecking order. The way he sees it, I believe is that he's the main man behind 3 consecutive CL wins (and 4 in 5 years). No CR7, fewer titles, for sure. All this when also beating Messi to these as well as beating him to BdOs. Yet, Messi is paid a huge swathe more. Adding to this, the rumour is that Atleti are offering Griezmann 23 Mn a season - which isn't far below the 25 Mn CR is being offered. You can cite age and potential decline, but his view seems to be that the club "owes" him more and that he's worth a lot more. He definitely doesn't feel he's declining - and would point towards all the naysayers the past two seasons who've ended up with egg in their faces.

For the record - I am not contending that he's right. That said, it's a fact that he's probably done more for RM than Messi for Barca and yet, Messi is paid a huge slice more.
I do not think that Madrid will reach the 40m net that he demanded. I would say that even Neymar could not earn that.
He has been important but I do not believe that he is in a position to constantly claim increases.As you say at this point It's a question of status.
Perhaps the club will increase a bit more the offer.Lopetegui always had good words about him or maybe they are waiting to know if they can get Neymar

Vato

Supports
Real Madrid
He's not asking for as much as Messi or even close to it, he's asking for a fair amount of money given what he's been doing and the wages the players who have a similar stature in the game are earning. What a fecking bellend.
So 27 million a year wouldn't have been a fair amount of money to pay him? And that's not even counting sponsorship deals, which will be more than double of that probably.

Have people lost touch with reality? Do you guys even still know what an astronomical amount of money that is?

Just because Messi got a monster contract we should give him the same or more? I hope Messi can't get Barca to pay him 100m a year on his next contract then...

If he's so underpaid, why did he sign his last contract then?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Messi's wages are outrageous. That's nearly €100m a year. On one player!

Cal?

CR7 fan
So 27 million a year wouldn't have been a fair amount of money to pay him? And that's not even counting sponsorship deals, which will be more than double of that probably.

Have people lost touch with reality? Do you guys even still know what an astronomical amount of money that is?

Just because Messi got a monster contract we should give him the same or more? I hope Messi can't get Barca to pay him 100m a year on his next contract then...

What he's able to make from sponsorship deals has little to do with how much you should pay him.

Vato

Supports
Real Madrid
What he's able to make from sponsorship deals has little to do with how much you should pay him.
Yes, I agree, but it's just to point out how incredibly loaded this guy already is.

If you didn't know any better you'd think he has to survive on water and bread.

Adisa

The same as Real are under no obligation to put him on parity with Messi's salary.
€21m a year net is already a ridiculous amount of money.
I doubt we'd even match that.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Yes, I agree, but it's just to point out how incredibly loaded this guy already is.

If you didn't know any better you'd think he has to survive on water and bread.
It's not about how much he needs though, that's clear from day one.
The same as Real are under no obligation to put him on parity with Messi's salary.
€21m a year net is already a ridiculous amount of money.
I doubt we'd even match that.
True, but I don't really see this big issue that people have with him trying to get more out of them.

As for whether we'd do it, we are paying Sanchez almost as much...

Vato

Supports
Real Madrid
I'd give all the money he's demanding to a player like Marcelo who never complains just to spite him.

midnightmare

I do not think that Madrid will reach the 40m net that he demanded. I would say that even Neymar could not earn that.
He has been important but I do not believe that he is in a position to constantly claim increases.As you say at this point It's a question of status.
Perhaps the club will increase a bit more the offer.Lopetegui always had good words about him or maybe they are waiting to know if they can get Neymar
If I’m not wrong Lopetegui actually said Messi was better. Nobody at Madrid or with hopes for the Madrid job has ever said that before. Don’t see this helping. Could be Flo’s way of ushering in the new era. Disappointing if so. Don’t feel there’s anyone who can fill the void if he leaves immediately.

Adisa

It's not about how much he needs though, that's clear from day one.

True, but I don't really see this big issue that people have with him trying to get more out of them.

Sanchez's gross pay was revealed to be €25m a year. That's far less than Ronnie. I have no problem with him demanding more. I actually feel players making financial decisions is the rational choice.
One this occasion, I think Ronaldo has exhausted his bluff. He doesn't have many options. It's why Real don't give a shite about his threats anymore. Where is he going to?

Vato

Supports
Real Madrid

It's the way he goes about it ffs, always crying to the press and being "unhappy" every 5 seconds.

Surely you can see that that is the thing most of us are fed up about?

Cal?

CR7 fan
Sanchez's gross pay was revealed to be €25m a year. That's far less than Ronnie. I have no problem with him demanding more. I actually feel players making financial decisions is the rational choice.
One this occasion, I think Ronaldo has exhausted his bluff. He doesn't have many options. It's why Real don't give a shite about his threats anymore. Where is he going to?
We'll see what happens.
It's the way he goes about it ffs, always crying to the press and being "unhappy" every 5 seconds.

Surely you can see that that is the thing most of us are fed up about?
That's if you believe Perez' side of the story, if the version about how he went back on his word is true...

Cal?

CR7 fan
Maybe we pay him half of Messi's salary because he only shows up for half a season?
:lol: Perhaps we could score just half those goals in the CL? :smirk:

Or Barca should only pay Messi for La Liga considering how he disappears from the CL

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The state of this thread, where Real fans seem to be fed up of Ronaldo but certain Utd fans seem to be sticking up for him. :houllier:

Vato

Supports
Real Madrid
That's if you believe Perez' side of the story, if the version about how he went back on his word is true...
But we just offered him 27m a year, which he saw as an insult! An insult ffs, I must be living on a different planet or something.

Cal?

CR7 fan
But we just offered him 27m a year, which he saw as an insult! An insult ffs, I must be living on a different planet or something.
Again, it has nothing to do with how much he makes, but how much a player like him is worth in the market.

Your argument is like Goldman Sachs offering their employees smaller packages than Morgan Stanley and justifying it by "You don't need that much anyway".

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP

No and you won't give him that and neither is he asking for it. The news was that he was asking for 30 million, if you're giving him 27 million then sooner or later they'll agree a deal, that's barely any difference.

How much do you think Neymar will get if he moves to Madrid? If you're so outraged at Ronaldo asking for a lot of money then I'd love to see your reaction when Neymar's making twice as much. Atletico will be paying more to Griezmann than what Madrid's paying to Ronaldo. No matter how you look at it, it's not hard to understand why this would make Ronaldo upset now is it?

If you think he's a fecking twat for it then you can go ahead and think it anyway, it's just more of the same and at this point any little excuse will do. Maybe you should have sold him in 2015 and bought Hazard instead.

De Portago

Supports
Red Star
No and you won't give him that and neither is he asking for it. The news was that he was asking for 30 million, if you're giving him 27 million then sooner or later they'll agree a deal, that's barely any difference.

How much do you think Neymar will get if he moves to Madrid? If you're so outraged at Ronaldo asking for a lot of money then I'd love to see your reaction when Neymar's making twice as much. Atletico will be paying more to Griezmann than what Madrid's paying to Ronaldo. No matter how you look at it, it's not hard to understand why this would make Ronaldo upset now is it?

If you think he's a fecking twat for it then you can go ahead and think it anyway, it's just more of the same and at this point any little excuse will do. Maybe you should have sold him in 2015 and bought Hazard instead.
He shouldn't have signed such a long term contract deal at his age then, there is literally zero incentive from Madrid's side to cave in to his demands. Messi has gotten this current contract mostly because he came within six months of his previous deal expiring i guess, he had all the leverage.

They'd do well to get rid before he actually declines properly, and let someone else deal with the consequences. United fans have seen that happen to Rooney, now considering Ronaldo's ego is on another level entirely, you're looking at a nuclear level meltdown. I hate Real Madrid so i sure hope he signs a new contract, preferably with a 2024 expiry date, I just feel Florentino's smarter than that.

Lemansky

100% agree with this.

Ronaldo is under contract, is 33 years old and is already making an astronomical amount of money.

If he thinks what Real pays him is not enough he should ask for a transfer.

The greed in football has reached idiotic levels. Madrid should take a stand, if money is so important to him they should tell him to put in a transfer request.

Really hope we stay well clear of this situation. The only interest Ronaldo has in Man Utd is using us as a bargaining chip.

Vato

Supports
Real Madrid

Remind me again why he signed his current contract if he thought he was so underpaid?

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid

I doubt that his personal contracts (which makes him earn so much money) were so lucrative playing on another team.
I think Neymar wouldn't earn 40m€,and possibly that control in the salaries had something to do in the no-signing of Mbappé

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
He shouldn't have signed such a long term contract deal at his age then, there is literally zero incentive from Madrid's side to cave in to his demands. Messi has gotten this current contract mostly because he came within six months of his previous deal expiring i guess, he had all the leverage.
Yes and they're in their rights to not give them the contract he wants if they don't want to do it but he certainly has a point in asking for a raise.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
If I’m not wrong Lopetegui actually said Messi was better. Nobody at Madrid or with hopes for the Madrid job has ever said that before. Don’t see this helping. Could be Flo’s way of ushering in the new era. Disappointing if so. Don’t feel there’s anyone who can fill the void if he leaves immediately.
It will be difficult because he has been here many years and there are people who have grown watching him play but keeping him and allowing him everything at a level 7/10 does not correspond to Madrid.
It is not good to fall into sentimentality.
There are very good players and talents to buy or promote in the next years
There is a guy really good,that scored an amazing bycicle goal in the Champions League final. I do not know if you heard about him because Cristiano was pissed off and quickly took him away the cameras hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.