Cristiano Ronaldo: Set to leave by mutual agreement

Is Ronaldo justified to say that he “feels betrayed” by Manchester United?

• Ronaldo should be not be allowed to play for United again

Votes: 1,536 81.7%
  • He's always been a massive bellend

Votes: 884 47.0%
  • Messi has always been the better player

Votes: 574 30.5%
  • He should be begged to come back with double the salary and ten Haag should bow to his greatness

Votes: 126 6.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

strandty

“You either accept our gross misconduct case for dismissal and get a new club in January, or you drag it through the courts and rot in the reserves”

Pretty much how I see it playing out seeing footballers contracts and club disciplinary procedures (granted only at EFL level).

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Piers what a twonk, Ronny hasn't had a run in the side?? Jeez he's played more than Martial? Piers listen to yourself ffs talking shite to get relevant again using Ronaldo to get back to being that.
I've had the very dubious pleasure of being in a room with Morgan more than once... of course that's what this is about

SuperiorXI

Since he doesn't like our chefs, I'd make him do a culinary apprenticeship, he can work under them until his contract expires.

Cristiano, what is that you have made?

Tomato SIIIIIUUUUUUUUUUOOOOP, Chef

the_cliff

That's a good point, but I think alternatives would have been found, if Ronaldo knew he wouldnt be a key first team player. Like they will be found in Jan, when its even more difficult to get a deal done. But that is guesswork on my part, yes. Anyway, I was addressing the "disrespect" thing, and my point was not about what happened over the summer.

Cut the patronizing. Dunno why an Arsenal fan is getting so triggered over this.

And you say another PL, another CL, like its so easy, when we have all seen how easy it is to fail at United as a manager. I have high hopes for Ten Hag, but I'm not a blind optimist, and will not count imaginary trophies in the future.
So let me get this straight. One of the best professional footballers of all time, who has played at the top level for 21 years needs to be told that if his performances are not up to standard he won't be starting games ? and if he's not putting in the performances he'll be dropped ? and if not told that it's considered disrespectful ?

Ronaldo has had plenty of chances this season with Martial out to claim that starting cf spot as his own and has failed to do so, not because he was disrespected but because he was complete shite.

For all we know ETH thought Ronaldo could be a key player all pre season but his performances haven't been one of a key player, in fact his performances aren't even that of an average player. If Ronaldo thinks he can start at any top team in Europe just because of his name and what he has accomplished in football then he's in for a rude awakening this Jan.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Cool that's where we disagree. I'm not saying they are above that, but if anybody has the right to think they are, its them. Nobody else.
So you don't think they are above it and you don't feel Ronaldo was 'disrespected' but understand him feeling that he was? It's because people like you can 'understand' that feeling that they think it's right.

And I'm not sure where this 'them' ends. Like I said Rooney is a bigger legend as have been many many others considering Ronaldo isn't one. Imagine SAF sitting there petrified of which player is going to throw a hissy fit.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Just watching Part 2 now, complains about being the black sheep and only his name being mentioned. He should know the media here will always use the biggest stars name to get more headline clicks, if it read Dalot left early no one would care apart from the manager. Hes built this ego up to be number one and this is part of the package.
In pre-season as well, he was saying the club maybe didn't believe him about why he wasnt at pre-season training, is it down to him requesting to leave the club all summer and being offered about and no one taking him.

Mentioning he had a lot of offers but not many clubs, so is that meaning he was offered multiple contracts from the same clubs but he refused them? I think he could possibly move to Saudi Arabia and take the money.
City distanced themselves from being close to buying him but hes still saying the opposite. Whos advising him and telling him this?

Hes never had any problems with any club or coach before, Juventus, he forced his move by downing tools and not doing preseason with them. Blaming the players for using him as a scapegoat for them underperforming, while experienced players at Juve have said hes a hindrance and holds back the team because it has to be all about him, same here.
Madrid, him and Mourinho didnt have the best of relationships, wouldnt accept instructions on tactics.

Then with ETH punishment for the 2nd walk out, he thinks because hes the worlds best he shouldnt be punished, why should he be treated any differently to anyone else? Hes past his best, I hope the club do terminate his contract and we can see who will take him on. Maybe without a transfer fee and reduced wages there will be interest, think this interview has done more damage than good. Flashbacks to Griezmann and La Decision.

Costa1903

I 100% hope if the club can not find a legal way to terminate with no payment, they keep him and just pay him to do nothing at least he can’t achieve anything more until next season. Our cash should not go to him to play elsewhere. If he wants away it’s a clean FREE break

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Even SAF forgave Rooney and brought him back after the City saga, do you think he would have done the same with a lesser player?
Sure, but Ronaldo has zero leverage. His only valid threat is that he can create a bad atmosphere with his whining. Not exactly compelling stuff.

loop

If we (Man United) cant cant terminate his contract on a free or on mutual agreement. we should let him rot. only places his allowed to train should be at his house.

dave2528

I, for one, am really looking forward to Ronaldo's next televised tantrum when the only teams that come for him in January are in the Middle East.

Can't wait to watch him whinge about the disrespect being shown to him.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
He's not wrong about the state of the club but it's something fans know (and been vocal) for years. Criticizing old jacuzzi, swimming pool, chef feels like he's in for petty point and he doesn't even do it in constructive manner.
Ralf Rangick said it much better and actually offered solutions (sort of) but fanbase treated him as clueless old man so why is Ronaldo different?

It's no secret that club need to be modernized, fans know it. But is Ronaldo the key to it? At best case scenario, he's bringing him and Glazers down with this game of throne but don't pretend for a second that he put club's interest above his.

His fanboys think their idol has cracked the code and we're the clueless ones but they don't want to admit that this signing is the direct result of United's bad management. Ronaldo is part of the problems.
Agree with most of what you say, despite being labelled by some juveniles here, one of his "fanboys". Frankly, if there are "fanboys" then there is also a hate cult. Not everyone, by a long way, is in either camp - if such things even exist. I'm afraid labelling people is a very Tory ploy which some here seem to have fallen in to...

Just because I refuse to want him hung, drawn and quartered doesn't mean, as some twat wrote, I want to "ride his cock". Do I want him gone? Yes. However (I say "however" because I've been ridiculed for saying "but"), I am sad about how it has turned out. I really thought it would work better than it has. That said, I never expected it to be the total answer or for the clock to be turned back and to have Ronaldo of old. Tor rewrite history, again as some have tried to do, and pretend he never did anything for us is, however, total horse manure.

Of course, Ronaldo is more interested in himself than the club and of course criticising the chef etc is petty. But it remains true that we are behind so many other clubs in so many ways, not just by having owners who are even worse than him: I don't believe for a moment that the club means anywhere near the same to them as it does to us. I do think Ronaldo was probably shocked to find how things had changed and how far we've fallen - I mean I was shocked by how shabby parts of Old Trafford have become

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Sure, but Ronaldo has zero leverage. His only valid threat is that he can create a bad atmosphere with his whining. Not exactly compelling stuff.
And Ronaldo is currently a lesser player than Rooney was. If anything the way SAF dealt with Keane should be the point of reference, one of the best player in club history and one of the best captain yet he got jettisoned in the middle of the season.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
You could make the same argument with equating Fergie & Souness, one was a miles better player, but at the start of their post careers, no-one knows who’ll be a good manager, CEO (VdS), DoF’s (Overmars?) and who won’t. Lots of great players have turned into utter shite managers.

Plenty of clubs give jobs and titles to past players. Juve had Pirlo, United Ole. Both were shite.
I think there's quite a lot of difference between manager and whatever the hell Darren Ferguson is. For the record, I was against Ole becoming manager for many reasons - not least the mad idea that it would work when the similar tactic had failed time and again at places like Liverpool, Leeds and Newcastle

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
This kind of opinion always bothers me. Not saying Darren Fletcher is a world-class technical director (I don't even know what this job entails), BUT...

Edu (Arsenal), Hasan Salihamidzic (Muenchen), Marco Monti (Inter), Santiago Solari (Real Madrid), and Jordi Cruyff (Barcelona) are not exactly a world-beating players either. According to transfermarkt, Juventus even appoints Marco Storari as a Squad Leader. Wth is that?

Almost all historically great European football clubs are "old boys clubs," particularly Bayern Munich. At some point, Milan hired Christian Brocchi and Ajax hired Marcel Keizer as a manager, both are former players with less credentials than Darren Fletcher.
For me, the only place it has worked consistently is Bayern. I think a few of the other names you mention were brought in by the manager himself or because they had previously had a good working relationship. Darren Ferguson, from my knowledge, had never even met ETH (or RR for that matter)...

PieCrust

I just don't understand why, if he really wants out so bad, Ronaldo just didn't terminate his contract last summer? His playing salary has to be chump change to him, compared to what he makes through endorsements and w/e lines of income he has, not to mention all of his career earnings. He doesn't need £500k a week to survive. Anyway, I guess it's really because no champions league team wanted him at all, and then it just turned into saving face once he realized he'd been rejected by all the top clubs.

It's just so weird. None of this needed to happen, but Ronaldo takes the most nuclear of options, ruining his status at United and trashing himself to the rest of the world in the process. If anyone was interested before, who would want this cancer in their club now?

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
No. I’m not. I’m saying there is little point in him moaning about the Glazers now when he has been employed by them not once but twice. Now that I write that he’s probably the only person to be employed by them twice ??? I could be wrong though.

Additionally he didn’t need to be at United in the intervening years to know what the issues were. They are well known and well reported. What he is telling us isn’t some revelation or unreported news till now.

He’s piggy backing on to the issue to save some face.
I agree to an extent but I'm willing to believe that he didn't know quite how far we'd fallen or quite what a huge mess we were/are in. I mean I had no idea what a state of disrepair Old Trafford itself had fallen in to until recently and I've followed the club virtually my whole life. I think he thought he could help get us out of it (which, of course, has much to do with a rather large ego)

stoinz

Toney has been charged for betting breaches. Gapko should be achievable in January who shares the same agent as ten Haag.
Oh man, I didn't know that. He was my favorite to come in. Guess Gapko it is.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Well we don't know what's in his contract. If there's an NDA then he'd be fried meat although I doubt it. Ronaldo had done everything in a meticulous way. He waited for the Portugal's WC squad to be announced and for our last EPL game to end. Thus stripping ETH from the right of reply and Santos the option of not selecting him thus avoiding all this controversy following him to Qatar. Throughout the entire interview he never said that he wanted to leave the club. Thus the legal team has no argument of him wanting to force a move. In my books Ronaldo wants to leave but he wants to leave on his own terms which include us paying the rest of his contract.

royalewithcheese2006

Supports
A Director of Football
I'm not very familiar with either Piers or Simon but the former repeatedly saying that Simon is talking nonsense but not really being able to say what is nonsensical about it is childish at best. Is this how he's made a career as a presenter?
I've only seen parts of the Ronaldo interview but Piers sucking upto Ronaldo and offering up freebies for him to slate everyone who's criticized him and Ronaldo's narcissism and lack of self awareness makes it a cringe fest that'll never be beaten till..... Ronaldo's next interview with Piers.

strandty

I think it’ll be “mutual termination” with zero pay off. Us threatening to sue him is the stick to get him to agree. If he fights it he can be stuck on gardening leave with no club for months.
From knowing EFL player contracts, this’ll pretty much be the case I reckon

Strootman's Finger

Ben Foster said on his Youtube show the other day that there is technically nothing against the rules with slagging off your club or manager in the press. He said only hitting another player will get your contract terminated and basically nothing else.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I'm equating made up titles for ex-players, such as Special advisor to the President. In fact we don't need to go to made up titles, some of the current best clubs in the world gave key jobs to ex players that had zero experience and still haven't shown any sort of quality for the job. Exhibit A: Salihamidzic.

I will never be not amazed by how little some of you know about what happens outside of United.
I think there are probably a lot worse examples than Salihamidzic. Seems OK-ish to me although of course in the Bundesliga, Bayern very rarely have any competition either in games or in pursuit of players, so you may be right and I was certainly hugely surprised when he got the job. I have watched Oliver Kahn with interest, however, because it's quite unusual for keepers to get any jobs including as manager

Tibs

We'll let him go, and then have to pay double the value of whichever strikers we sign.

Varun

Staff
This kind of opinion always bothers me. Not saying Darren Fletcher is a world-class technical director (I don't even know what this job entails), BUT...

Edu (Arsenal), Hasan Salihamidzic (Muenchen), Marco Monti (Inter), Santiago Solari (Real Madrid), and Jordi Cruyff (Barcelona) are not exactly a world-beating players either. According to transfermarkt, Juventus even appoints Marco Storari as a Squad Leader. Wth is that?

Almost all historically great European football clubs are "old boys clubs," particularly Bayern Munich. At some point, Milan hired Christian Brocchi and Ajax hired Marcel Keizer as a manager, both are former players with less credentials than Darren Fletcher.
If we were successful, the narrative would have been how bringing in an ex player who understood the club brought the players together, made them closer to the manager blah blah. The results decide the narrative just like the same thing does at Bayern because no one on Twitter or redcafe actually knows what Fletcher really did or the impact it had vs what it was supposed to have.

Zippycup

Some of the folks keep saying Ronaldo is dumb and hasn’t been advised. That is patently not true. It will not be a straightforward case.
He will argue he is merely saying what others have said re the Glazers.
His attack on the younger players are his opinions only and he said they are a product of the period.
Even his attack on ETH is premised on him being disrespected first.
You can say this is all BS which I agree as his intent is to force an exit, but from a legal standpoint he has defences.
That's not how it works.
I can't publicly slag off my boss, my colleagues and the company and expect to get away with it.
Even the most basic contract has clauses in it that protect the company from such things

Withnail

Ben Foster said on his Youtube show the other day that there is technically nothing against the rules with slagging off your club or manager in the press. He said only hitting another player will get your contract terminated and basically nothing else.
How believable is that though? This is a bit of an unprecedented situation. I know if I went to the press slagging off the company I work for in the press and giving them a load of bad publicity I'd be fired.

royalewithcheese2006

Supports
A Director of Football
I dont think he had a problem with coming on vs Spurs. What was disrespectful was giving him the VdB treatment, and just putting him on for 3 mins to waste time. Obviously, this is up for interpretation, but I think doing this to someone like Ronaldo or Messi is not right. Any other player, its fine. Yes they are not the same player they once were, but you have to honor their legacy in the game.

I think the only reason ETH kept Ronaldo was because he knew the board did not have funds for another CF. So he did the practical thing, and what was best for the club. The best scenario would have been if Ronaldo was told to leave in summer, because I have zero doubt he would have wasted 6 months of his very last days of football, if he knew ETH considered him a sub player. Dunno if other clubs were interested, but surely a solution would have been found, if they really wanted.
You're literally saying that it's fine for some players to get picked on reputation. That's the last thing a sports team that wants to be successful should do. Is it fine to handicap ourselves and potentially lose more games to honour some player's legacy? Specially someone who spent their peak years playing at another club?
Also I don't think ETH considered anyone a sub player before watching them play. The plastic faced emperor was away during most of pre-season and ETH barely saw what Ronaldo could offer. It's definitely not the manager's fault that no other club wanted Ronaldo. Infact Ronaldo was the one who wanted to leave and it was on him to reduce his wages and join a club like Sporting who would have probably take him on reduced wages. The other option was for him to ask for his contract to terminated without any compensation but he didn't do that either. It seemed like he wanted to have his cake and eat it too just because he's Ronaldo. Reputation over performance doesn't really work in competitive sports.

KeanoMagicHat

Good riddance. I hope all his fans follw him out.
It's a weird fandom, isn't it, following one player around instead of following a team. A lot of them seem as delusional as he is too, that Ronaldo is immune from ageing and couldn't possibly be close to retirement. If you're enjoyment of football is based around Ronaldo, then your days of watching elite football are on their last legs.

Status
Not open for further replies.