Cristiano Ronaldo: Set to leave by mutual agreement

Is Ronaldo justified to say that he “feels betrayed” by Manchester United?

• Ronaldo should be not be allowed to play for United again

Votes: 1,536 81.7%
  • He's always been a massive bellend

Votes: 884 47.0%
  • Messi has always been the better player

Votes: 574 30.5%
  • He should be begged to come back with double the salary and ten Haag should bow to his greatness

Votes: 126 6.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottynaldinho

Picture this scenario …..

If ronaldo has an amazing World Cup, top goal scorer, wins the World Cup , states his love for United and he want to stay.

Would you forgive ?

Ronaldo is a human being just like us. All Humans make mistakes and we shouldn’t be so quick to judge / react negatively. With time we maybe all reflect different on this…….
Everyone will be fine in that scenario, fans are fickle.

You wonder why we are only serious about the anti-glazers protests after a bad run of games.

Boondog

You think too much. There is a easier way. He has like what? 7-8 months? He is on 2 mil per month. Im sure most of it is with addons. So thats about 14 mil. Suck it up, continue paying that, his image rights will provide some money back anyway. Gradually phase him off from all of our official channels, instruct Eric to shrug and laugh his antique off in the press room as hard as possible, quickly change topic. When he finally leaves the club, mention nothing, tweet nothing. Better yet arrange a testimonial for jones again. For courtesy sake start him on the bench. Instruct him to warm up at 75 minute all the way until final whistle never entering the pitch. Shrug it off in the post game again. After that game announce a noodle sponsorship in far east.
Making the manager deal with him would undermine his authority and probably ETH's tenure with the club. We finally have the right guy in charge, no way I would undercut my manager. Your suggestion sounds like a Glazer move.

What I would do is take half a season of scoring opportunity from him. Ban him and hold his rights, pay him but don't let him play. That would be the best way to hurt him. That is how much I detest him right now.

phelans shorts

If ronaldo has an amazing World Cup, top goal scorer, wins the World Cup , states his love for United and he want to stay.

Would you forgive ?

Ronaldo is a human being just like us. All Humans make mistakes and we shouldn’t be so quick to judge / react negatively. With time we maybe all reflect different on this…….
Of course not, I hated him long long before this

Mayhem

The club statement confirming termination of contract can't come soon enough. Hopefully this week.

Gordon S

You wonder why we are only serious about the anti-glazers protests after a bad run of games.
What are you talking about? No, he could score 20 goals in the WC and tattoo EtH`s face on his chest to show how sorry he is, i would still hate to see him back at the club.

fallengt

The chance that he feels sorry is lower than him being stop scorer at world cup.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
He’s undermined the manager. There is no way back from that. His position at the club is untenable.

Glorio

That argument is plausible this season, but I’m not having the argument that Rashford, Martial and Sancho were shite last season because of Ronaldo.

Truth is, Rashford, Martial and Sancho were shite last season for reasons having to do mostly with themselves. Rashford and Martial were unfit and were mentally broken during Ole’s last days, and Sancho walked into a house that the manager had just set on fire with his poor management.
Perhaps, but there's no way having Ronaldo around didn't compound their issues. Wherever he's gone, especially in the last few years, the rest of the front line struggle. So you can't isolate last season from a pattern that has been demonstrated again and again

MrEleson

Perhaps, but there's no way having Ronaldo around didn't compound their issues. Wherever he's gone, especially in the last few years, the rest of the front line struggle. So you can't isolate last season from a pattern that has been demonstrated again and again
Martial absolutely stunk on loan at Sevilla btw.

And saying wherever he’s gone, “the frontline has struggled” is a very lazy assessment that has been debunked time and time again.

Glorio

Would you forgive ?

Do you have a penchant for masochism? :eek:

Glorio

Martial absolutely stunk on loan at Sevilla btw.

And saying wherever he’s gone, “the frontline has struggled” is a very lazy assessment that has been debunked time and time again.
Has it?

Every previously productive player in our frontline was worse once Ronaldo joined - including Greenwood for the time he was here.

Same thing happened at Juventus. You can hide your head under the sand if you want here, but this is a definite pattern.

Last edited:

scottser

Has it?

Every previously productive player in our frontline was worse once Ronaldo joined - including Greenwood for the time he was here.

Same thing happened at Juventus. You can hide your head under the sand if you want here, but this is a definite pattern.
yep. and we already had cavani to play that predatory role around the box. when ronaldo came cavani basically sat on his hole for a season doing nothing. ronaldo's signing was ill-conceived and rash. i think now, we should all just put it behind us and never speak of it again.

JB7

Tell us you haven't been to OT for a while without telling us you haven't been to OT for a while.

MrEleson

Has it?

A pattern because it happened at one club in one season?

At Juventus they averaged roughly the same number of goals scored while he was there as to prior to him arriving. He also played with geriatric strikers in Mandzukic & Higuain who have since retired.
Morata scored 20 goals in 20/21 when playing alongside Ronaldo compared to 16 the season before while playing for Atletico in the same number of appearances.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
A pattern because it happened at one club in one season?

At Juventus they averaged roughly the same number of goals scored while he was there as to prior to him arriving. He also played with geriatric strikers in Mandzukic & Higuain who have since retired.
Morata scored 20 goals in 20/21 when playing alongside Ronaldo compared to 16 the season before while playing for Atletico in the same number of appearances.
On average they registered more than 10 less goals than they did in 17/18. But most importantly, it means that Ronaldo didn't add to the team but took goals from players that were already in the team.

MrEleson

On average they registered more than 10 less goals than they did in 17/18. But most importantly, it means that Ronaldo didn't add to the team but took goals from players that were already in the team.
17/18 was an anomalous season. They outperformed their xG that year. Check every other year prior to Ronaldo’s arrival - they scored a similar amount of goals. They scored even less goals after he left.

And it really doesn’t mean Ronaldo didn’t add to the team. It’s a lot more nuanced than that. For more than half of the 2010s they had a midfield of Pogba - Marchisio - Pirlo - Vidal.

When Ronaldo arrived he had Matuidi, Khedira, Bentancur and a declining Pjanic behind him. 3/4 of those players are either retired or playing in MLS/Turkey less than 3 years on.

JPRouve

Scout
17/18 was an anomalous season. They outperformed their xG that year. Check every other year prior to Ronaldo’s arrival - they scored a similar amount of goals. They scored even less goals after he left.

And it really doesn’t mean Ronaldo didn’t add to the team. It’s a lot more nuanced than that. For more than half of the 2010s they had a midfield of Pogba - Marchisio - Pirlo - Vidal.

When Ronaldo arrived he had Matuidi, Khedira, Bentancur and a declining Pjanic behind him. 3/4 of those players are either retired or playing in MLS/Turkey less than 3 years on.
I don't really care about every other year and there is zero point going back to pre 2015 because it is irrelevant to the team Juventus had when they purchased Ronaldo. The reality of the matter is that at best Ronaldo added nothing, that best scenario is the one that you chose in your defense of Ronaldo. You don't see how problematic it is? A player that requires special treatment adds nothing.

MrEleson

I don't really care about every other year and there is zero point going back to pre 2015 because it is irrelevant to the team Juventus had when they purchased Ronaldo. The reality of the matter is that at best Ronaldo added nothing, that best scenario is the one that you chose in your defense of Ronaldo. You don't see how problematic it is? A player that requires special treatment adds nothing.
You don’t see how problematic it is reducing a complex scenario to something as binary as “they added Ronaldo and they didn’t score more so he must not have added anything?”

Most Juve fans admit the Ronaldo signing wasn’t just a mistake because of the financial ramifications and impact his wage and fee had on the institution but also because the team provided for him wasn’t good enough to compete with the very best. He did his job.

And btw, the debate was that he affected their frontline. But clearly even after he’s left they’ve been even worse in attack despite signing Vlahovic for €80M so it’s evidently not a Ronaldo centric issue.

JPRouve

Scout
You don’t see how problematic it is reducing a complex scenario to something as binary as “they added Ronaldo and they didn’t score more so he must not have added anything?”

Most Juve fans admit the Ronaldo signing wasn’t just a mistake because of the financial ramifications and impact his wage and fee had on the institution but also because the team provided for him wasn’t good enough to compete with the very best. He did his job.
You are the one who reduced this complex scenario but now that it doesn't suit your point it's a problem. But answer this question, why should Ronaldo in 2018 or any following years have a team provided to him? That's the issue that you keep ignoring the problem is that instead of playing as a team, teams are expected to play for Ronaldo to the detriment of everyone.

lysglimt

Scout
First of all - Ronaldo will never do that. And in a way - I would lose respect for him if he did. He came out all guns blazing - and in a way I respect him for being honest, even if he went about it as wrong as you possible can. But regardless - it has gone too far to ever be fixed

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Making the manager deal with him would undermine his authority and probably ETH's tenure with the club. We finally have the right guy in charge, no way I would undercut my manager. Your suggestion sounds like a Glazer move.

What I would do is take half a season of scoring opportunity from him. Ban him and hold his rights, pay him but don't let him play. That would be the best way to hurt him. That is how much I detest him right now.
Thats exactly what i said. Glazers would never take the loss of 14mil to make a point.

tomaldinho1

Would you forgive ?

No because he’d still be crap for us.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
First of all - Ronaldo will never do that. And in a way - I would lose respect for him if he did. He came out all guns blazing - and in a way I respect him for being honest, even if he went about it as wrong as you possible can. But regardless - it has gone too far to ever be fixed
That's a good point as well. He choose war and will reap the rewards, and while that’s sad it is also a straightforward way of dealing with things for everyone involved. There is no respectable way back, neither for Ronaldo nor for the club.

MrEleson

You are the one who reduced this complex scenario but now that it doesn't suit your point it's a problem. But answer this question, why should Ronaldo in 2018 or any following years have a team provided to him? That's the issue that you keep ignoring the problem is that instead of playing as a team, teams are expected to play for Ronaldo to the detriment of everyone.
Where did I do that exactly? Ronaldo wasn’t holding back Juve’s frontline for many reasons. I gave one of many. How is their attack doing now he’s gone?

And providing a good team for Ronaldo doesn’t mean playing for him. I didn’t say that. You’re conflating two fundamentally different things. Having a competitive squad is kind of what you’d want for a world level player? Same thing people say for Messi and Barca in his final seasons?

JPRouve

Scout
Where did I do that exactly? Ronaldo wasn’t holding back Juve’s frontline for many reasons. I gave one of many. How is their attack doing now he’s gone?

And providing a good team for Ronaldo doesn’t mean playing for him. I didn’t say that. You’re conflating two fundamentally different things. Having a competitive squad is kind of what you’d want for a world level player? Same thing people say for Messi and Barca in his final seasons?
First bolded sentence is answered by the second one and you used the same logic in your previous posts. That a reduction of the complex scenario that you alluded to, it also doesn't Ronaldo since he added nothing compared to the players that you happily considered as has beens or below par.

And I'm not conflating a thing, if you say that something is provided to something/someone you are saying that it's made for that person, that's the meaning of that term.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Would you forgive ?

Yes he’s human, but as a human he’s taken multiple pot shots at the club and his coach. I doubt ETH wants to work with him anymore, correct in my opinion.

then there’s what our eyes tell us, Ronaldo can’t or won’t work in this system. I think age may be catching up with him too.

Ronaldo is done at this club. He can take his shrinking fan boy club with him to his next destination. He’s ruined how he will now be remembered by the bulk of United fans

Status
Not open for further replies.