Cristiano Ronaldo should go down as top 5-6 players of all time

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
From the players I really get to watch live, Cristiano is definitely number 2 for me. There are some I prefer watching over even his prime, like Ronaldinho, Neymar, Zidane, Robben or Iniesta, but in terms of impact, he's second only to Messi. I can judge earlier players only based on the footage available but based on what I've seen, the Brazilian Ronaldo, Maradona and Pele impressed me more than Cristiano while Best, Cruyff, Zico and Beckenbauer rival at least aren't far behind him. So top 5 is legit I think but so is top 10. Both incredible achievements anyway if you ask me.

What I like about this thread is how it makes the usual suspects take a look into the mirror. It really shows how weak the team achievement and goal stat arguments always were and how eager some were to constantly move the goal posts to get to their favorable outcome.
I had a chance to see Ronaldo in person during a trip to Italy when Juventus played Udinese. Definitely felt like you could appreciate it his movement in the box more so in person. He scored twice, and it was definitely a cool moment to have been able to watch him

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I had a chance to see Ronaldo in person during a trip to Italy when Juventus played Udinese. Definitely felt like you could appreciate it his movement in the box more so in person. He scored twice, and it was definitely a cool moment to have been able to watch him
Yes, his movement is still special. On the last page somebody made fun that his touch before Chiesa's goal was labelled an assist but I think Ronaldo's run and timing was excellent, even if the contact wasn't particularly good. I think in a team like Bayern which always prays on the high through ball to the far post, he'd still be lethal. But his abilities simply aren't really utilized in Turin since there are few players able to play those kind of passes.

Anyway, for me this isn't enough to be compared to the gold standard and it wasn't enough during Madrid's consecutive CL run. In those years Cristiano delivered the numbers but he didn't deliver the overall contribution. So I think people praising him back then but criticizing him now are kind of inconsequent.

Bogdannn

I would rate both Messi and Ronaldo above Maradona. Not because I feel that they were better when they were at the top, but because they were at the top so much longer than Maradona. Maradona only really played at the highest level for 9 seasons, and because Maradonas contribution to Argentina apart from 3 seasons in the mid-80s really wasn't that great. Yes he was unbelievable from 85 to 87 but apart from those 3 seasons, he only scored a total of 17 more goals for Argentina. Ronaldo in comparison has over 100 goals for Portugal, that's 3 times more than Maradona
In those 9 years Maradona achieved more at international level than CR7 and Messi combined. And it was slightly more than a decade, from around 79 to around 91, that is more than enough.
As for goal tally, Maradona has around 35 for Argentina. But what you kids nowadays don't understand is that:
- Maradona was an attacking midfielder, not a forward like Messi and CR7;
- it was a million times harder to score in the 80s Serie A, especially late 80s, when a win was only worth 2 points;
- Maradona did not play for superclubs stacked with the best talent on Earth;
- Maradona played against butchers for defenders, when rules did not protect attacking players;
- Maradona played on poor pitches, with worse equipment, boots, balls, nutrition etc.
Half of Messi and CR7's goals are in friendlies and against garbage teams.
When Messi and CR7 will be able to lead average teams to titles, and win a World Cup, then you might say they are greater.
Until then, Diego reigns supreme.

Diego Simeone played with both Messi and Diego and said something along the lines of 'Let's not kid ourselves here, Messi is on another level to Diego'
Simeone played with the past prime version of Maradona and he never played with Messi, so his opinion is kinda irrelevant.

I have a strong suspicion that if Messi and Ronaldo travelled back in time and played in the 50s or 60s, they would be so far ahead of everyone else that it would completely turn the sport on its head.
Bollocks. They wouldn't even last 1 season. Back then, top players weren't pampered and protected by the rules. Remember that for example in Pele's days, there weren't even yellow and red cards, he was mauled in 2 World Cups (62 and 66), his peak years. Maradona was also brutally fouled every match in the 80's Serie A. Messi and CR7 aren't used to such abuse, they couldn't cope, they'd get taken of the pitch on a stretcher.
Plus, even though Messi and CR7 have the ability, it's way harder for them to duplicate the things they do now on a crap pitch, with crap equipment (boots, ball, etc), worse nutrition and medical facilities. CR7 wouldn't benefit from a personal chef, physical therapist and from all the "juices" they have nowadays. Healing times after injuries would be at least double.

There's also a good chance that the likes of Pele and Maradona wouldn't be the worldbeaters that they were in their time if inserted into today's game.........................
Pele and Maradona could be just as good, if not better. The rules protect top players nowadays and the playing conditions and equipment are great.

I think Messi and Ronaldo are the best there have ever been.
Most of us who are old enough to have seen past greats don't agree.

Twenty years from now, the game will have become even more refined and the best players then will be better than Messi and Ronaldo.
That won't make Messi and CR7 less great. Players should be judged and compared by comparing their achievements (put into context).

For my part, I think the two are equal, it's just that Ronaldo's playstyle is less flashy. People are in love with dribbling and fancy footwork, and not as impressed by the sight of sheer athleticism. Messi has also played amongst a higher caliber of players throughout most of his career, both at club and international level. I don't think one's better than the other, and I certainly don't agree with those who claim that Messi is decidedly superior.
Messi has superior ability, therefore he is better. But CR7 is more versatile and mentally stronger, and he has achieved more, therefore he is the greater of the two.

Best in modern day football would be the next Ravel Morrison.
Can't be a top professional. :nervous:
Best would be brilliant nowadays.

Winning a world cup with brazil is nothing special in the grand scheme of goats.
Even kleberson is a world cup winner.
World cup is overrated, sure you need to be special to win it but you could also fluke a win here and there.
It's at the end of the day just a few match in 4 years. And early world cup is more like an exhibition with only several strong team unlike the world cup of today where everyone is decked with players playing in high level european football.
Stupid analogy/example. Kleberson was just part of a winning team, he didn't drag teams after him and produced magical moments like Pele, Maradona, R9, etc.
Using your dumb logic, I can point out the fact that there are also countless players that have won the Champions League, some of them multiple times, it doesn't make them as great as Messi and CR7.

5-6? :confused:
Cristiano Ronaldo & Messi are by some distance the best 2 players in human history.
Nope.

Simply not possible.
3 World Cup wins say it's more than possible. Plus having similar club career achievements to them.

Messi and Ronaldo are levels above anyone in history. It's the same in all sports.
That's not to say X couldn't have been as good as them with everything players have now but Messi and Ronaldo are the best of the best pros.
Maradonna and Pele were the best of a bunch of part time footballers.
Even if Messi and CR7 are "better" than their predecessors (which I don't agree with), they are not greater. Pele and Maradona are still the top 2 greatest ever do to their international career achievements.

1. Maradona
2. Pele
3. Cruyff
4. CR7
5. Messi

Or they watched Ronaldo Nazario and think he's much better than Cristiano Ronaldo. Which a lot of people do.
I happen to be one of those and I agree with you.

Great posts by Lay, Krakenzero, Ladron de redcafe

Sky1981
, most of us on this forum (if not all) have Cristiano in the top 5, just not no. 1.

Last edited:

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
In those 9 years Maradona achieved more at international level than CR7 and Messi combined. And it was slightly more than a decade, from around 79 to around 91, that is more than enough.
As for goal tally, Maradona has around 35 for Argentina. But what you kids nowadays don't understand is that:
- Maradona was an attacking midfielder, not a forward like Messi and CR7;
- it was a million times harder to score in the 80s Serie A, especially late 80s, when a win was only worth 2 points;
- Maradona did not play for superclubs stacked with the best talent on Earth;
- Maradona played against butchers for defenders, when rules did not protect attacking players;
- Maradona played on poor pitches, with worse equipment, boots, balls, nutrition etc.
Half of Messi and CR7's goals are in friendlies and against garbage teams.
When Messi and CR7 will be able to lead average teams to titles, and win a World Cup, then you might say they are greater.
Until then, Diego reigns supreme.

Simeone played with the past prime version of Maradona and he never played with Messi, so his opinion is kinda irrelevant.

Bollocks. They wouldn't even last 1 season. Back then, top players weren't pampered and protected by the rules. Remember that for example in Pele's days, there weren't even yellow and red cards, he was mauled in 2 World Cups (62 and 66), his peak years. Maradona was also brutally fouled every match in the 80's Serie A. Messi and CR7 aren't used to such abuse, they couldn't cope, they'd get taken of the pitch on a stretcher.
Plus, even though Messi and CR7 have the ability, it's way harder for them to duplicate the things they do now on a crap pitch, with crap equipment (boots, ball, etc), worse nutrition and medical facilities. CR7 wouldn't benefit from a personal chef, physical therapist and from all the "juices" they have nowadays. Healing times after injuries would be at least double.

Pele and Maradona could be just as good, if not better. The rules protect top players nowadays and the playing conditions and equipment are great.

Most of us who are old enough to have seen past greats don't agree.

That won't make Messi and CR7 less great. Players should be judged and compared by comparing their achievements (put into context).

Messi has superior ability, therefore he is better. But CR7 is more versatile and mentally stronger, and he has achieved more, therefore he is the greater of the two.

Best would be brilliant nowadays.

Stupid analogy/example. Kleberson was just part of a winning team, he didn't drag teams after him and produced magical moments like Pele, Maradona, R9, etc.
Using your dumb logic, I can point out the fact that there are also countless players that have won the Champions League, some of them multiple times, it doesn't make them as great as Messi and CR7.

Nope.

3 World Cup wins say it's more than possible. Plus having similar club career achievements to them.

Even if Messi and CR7 are "better" than their predecessors (which I don't agree with), they are not greater. Pele and Maradona are still the top 2 greatest ever do to their international career achievements.

1. Maradona
2. Pele
3. Cruyff
4. CR7
5. Messi

I happen to be one of those and I agree with you.

Great posts by Lay, Krakenzero, Ladron de redcafe

Sky1981
, most of us on this forum (if not all) have Cristiano in the top 5, just not no. 1.
Achieved in 9 years greater than a combination of cr7 and messi.

Stopped reading there.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Stopped reading there.
Neither won a World Cup, so he is not completely wrong on that particular point. And Maradona arguably had the worst set of teammates out of the three.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Neither won a World Cup, so he is not completely wrong on that particular point. And Maradona arguably had the worst set of teammates out of the three.
Not arguably, it's a fact that Maradona had the least amount of talent around him, hence often needed to do more. Pelé was a kid in '58 on Didi's team, and in '70 was the turbocharger, the factor that took a stacked team from historically great to greatest ever

2014-2016 argentina side was comparable to the '86-'90 one in many ways, and he couldn't quite do it, on a team that didn't rely on him as much either

There has never been a player so singularly influential in international football as Maradona, though Pelé does come really close. Beckenbauer too

Ladron de redcafe

Not arguably, it's a fact that Maradona had the least amount of talent around him, hence often needed to do more. Pelé was a kid in '58 on Didi's team, and in '70 was the turbocharger, the factor that took a stacked team from historically great to greatest ever

2014-2016 argentina side was comparable to the '86-'90 one in many ways, and he couldn't quite do it, on a team that didn't rely on him as much either

There has never been a player so singularly influential in international football as Maradona, though Pelé does come really close. Beckenbauer too
I agree. The Argentina that Messi played with was imbalanced, but wasn't a bad team. The talent there was probably better than the 86 squad that Maradona played with. Messi gets the plaudits for this excellent play at club level, but it's also fair to point out he didn't quite achieve what Maradona did at the international level.

That isn't to say that Maradona played with a bad team. But that the team he carried to consecutive world cup finals including the 1986 win was weaker than the squads that the other top 5-6 players ever had at some points during their careers.

Pocho

I agree. The Argentina that Messi played with was imbalanced, but wasn't a bad team. The talent there was probably better than the 86 squad that Maradona played with. Messi gets the plaudits for this excellent play at club level, but it's also fair to point out he didn't quite achieve what Maradona did at the international level.

That isn't to say that Maradona played with a bad team. But that the team he carried to consecutive world cup finals including the 1986 win was weaker than the squads that the other top 5-6 players ever had at some points during their careers.
Maradona played from mediocre to bad in 90 WC, the team as horrid as it was, was very well coached and that carried them into the final, not Maradona despite his great play against Brasil.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
He played a friendly game with both Maradona and Messi at one point, but seriously a player and manager with his pedigree who has watched both Maradoana and Messi for years is likely to have a very good idea of how good they are, and his opinion is certainly not irrelevant. He definitely knows more than any of us about it.

teteus

Supports
Flamengo
Neither does Kleberson. I don't get this point. The World Cup IS the biggest stick in football. And CR7 or Messi so far had 4 chances to make history at it and failed (altough a decent case can be made for Messi's run in 2014). This is more of a Fox and the Grapes situation in my opinion.

Also, not on the subject, but the brazilian NT was failing big time before R9's return in the World Cup. They only secured their participation in the last qualifying match IIRC.
To be fair, CR7's team is Portugal.

And Rivaldo was as amazing as R9 in the 2002 World Cup.

Let me clarify. I’m not sure if I’ve seriously posted where I put Cristiano and Messi in my all time list. They’re probably top 3, top 5 for sure.

But the problem I have with these debates is posters will downplay what the other legends did. Pele only did it in Brazil, R9 never won the UCL and did it with a star studded team, even your R9 comments, Robinho didn’t win a World Cup! Oh and comments like Maradona’s stats aren’t good enough from some posters. It’s almost as nothing existed before 2003 and if it did, it doesn’t count. It’s baffling the lengths some posters go to defend Messi and Cristiano.

Yet its simple fact that Messi and Cristiano have failed to shine at world cups, a tournament that has bonafide legacies of all the other greats minus Di Stefano and Best for differing reasons.

Why can’t people accept these criticisms without downplaying the bloody World Cup now :lol: Messi and CR7 had perfect careers with no failures? Is that what people want to boil it down to?

If we can criticise Pele, maradona, R9, Zidane, then we can criticise Messi and Cristiano without the narrative changing to suit agendas.
All those criticisms that you mentioned that people make against Messi, CR7, Pelé, R9 and Maradona, to downplay them, are total bullshit. Brazil won 3 World Cups with only players who played in Brazil, for example. R9 never winning the UCL was a mixture of bad timing, bad luck and ankle injuries. Barcelona and Internazionale didn't play in the UCL when he was in those teams, but he did great in the UEFA Cup. And then there were ankle injuries who left him out of football for years. When he came to Real Madrid, he was still great, but not the same. And Real fell in its megalomania of hiring as many stars as possible.

teteus

Supports
Flamengo
Anyway, Messi's skills and consistency together are insane. I'm not sure if we'll see a player as technically brilliant as Messi in this century. Ronaldinho was flashier and more magical, but not really as technically brilliant and efficient in all technical aspects of the game, as dribbling and passing, as Messi is. Messi is truly unbelievable.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Maradona played from mediocre to bad in 90 WC, the team as horrid as it was, was very well coached and that carried them into the final, not Maradona despite his great play against Brasil.
I think that's a harsh assessment. Although he didn't hit the heights of '86 - mostly due to playing on one leg with a massively swollen ankle - he was still one of the best attacking players at the tournament. For example, he was selected in the team of the tournament as the only number 10. He created a hell of a lot of chances for his team-mates and was, again, the victim of the sort of negative and tactical fouling that was routine within the game at that time. As you say Argentina were mostly solid and organised, but for doing anything going forward they relied on his flashes of genius particularly when linking up with Caniggia.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
There's a pretty direct comparison to be made between Argentina '90 and '14 and Messi and Maradona in those world cups.

The sliding door for Messi has been Di Maria getting injured at the worst possible time, 3 times in a row :lol:

But even with that, he's never delivered for Argentina like Diego in '86

On the other hand he's had a better club career and his peak at club level was arguably higher than Maradona's

Spoony

The People's President
I think that's a harsh assessment. Although he didn't hit the heights of '86 - mostly due to playing on one leg with a massively swollen ankle - he was still one of the best attacking players at the tournament. For example, he was selected in the team of the tournament as the only number 10. He created a hell of a lot of chances for his team-mates and was, again, the victim of the sort of negative and tactical fouling that was routine within the game at that time. As you say Argentina were mostly solid and organised, but for doing anything going forward they relied on his flashes of genius particularly when linking up with Caniggia.

Amazingly half a Maradona almost guided a very poor Argentina to a third world cup.

Pocho

Amazingly half a Maradona almost guided a very poor Argentina to a third world cup.
Naahhh, believe me I would have loved Maradona carrying us to a third WC it just didn't happen cause he was not that good anymore at that point of his brilliant career.

Bogdannn

Stopped reading there.
I meant at international level. And you cannot deny that.

Great post.

And that's what elevates Maradona above Messi and CR7 in the GOAT debate.

He came into the event carrying an ankle injury. Constant fouling made it even worse, to the point that it was swollen most of the time and the Argentine staff doctors had to resort to injections in order for him to handle the pain and be able to play.

To be fair, CR7's team is Portugal.
True, but nobody is saying that CR7 should have definitely won a WC, just that he should have had a WC (out of the 4 he played in) where he performed very well. CR7 isn't judged as harshly as Messi for his international career given that:
- he has had a weaker side than Messi
and
- unlike Messi, CR7 managed to actually win a major event, the Euro Cup.

R9 never winning the UCL was a mixture of bad timing, bad luck and ankle injuries. Barcelona and Internazionale didn't play in the UCL when he was in those teams, but he did great in the UEFA Cup. And then there were ankle injuries who left him out of football for years. When he came to Real Madrid, he was still great, but not the same. And Real fell in its megalomania of hiring as many stars as possible.
Completely agree with you

Anyway, Messi's skills and consistency together are insane. I'm not sure if we'll see a player as technically brilliant as Messi in this century. Ronaldinho was flashier and more magical, but not really as technically brilliant and efficient in all technical aspects of the game, as dribbling and passing, as Messi is. Messi is truly unbelievable.
It depends on what you understand by technique. For me, technique only means ball control, it doesn't encompass dribbling and passing, those are distinct categories. And in terms of ball control, I see Ronaldo Fenomeno, Ronaldinho and Maradona as being superior.

There's a pretty direct comparison to be made between Argentina '90 and '14 and Messi and Maradona in those world cups.
The sliding door for Messi has been Di Maria getting injured at the worst possible time, 3 times in a row :lol:
But even with that, he's never delivered for Argentina like Diego in '86
Completely agree with that.

On the other hand he's had a better club career and his peak at club level was arguably higher than Maradona's
I still see Maradona's achievements with Napoli as more impressive than Messi's with Barcelona.
Napoli was battling relegation before Maradona came along. He turned them into champions.
Barcelona already was a world class team before Messi came along. Sure, he made them even better, but they would have won many trophies even without him.

L1nk

How is this even a debate? Messi and Ronaldo are the two greatest players in the sport ever, followed by Maradona and probably Pele

Ladron de redcafe

How is this even a debate? Messi and Ronaldo are the two greatest players in the sport ever, followed by Maradona and probably Pele
There's no debate. Few people have Ronaldo in the same tier as Messi, Maradona, and Pelé and those who do tend to skew younger.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I meant at international level. And you cannot deny that.

Great post.

And that's what elevates Maradona above Messi and CR7 in the GOAT debate.

He came into the event carrying an ankle injury. Constant fouling made it even worse, to the point that it was swollen most of the time and the Argentine staff doctors had to resort to injections in order for him to handle the pain and be able to play.

True, but nobody is saying that CR7 should have definitely won a WC, just that he should have had a WC (out of the 4 he played in) where he performed very well. CR7 isn't judged as harshly as Messi for his international career given that:
- he has had a weaker side than Messi
and
- unlike Messi, CR7 managed to actually win a major event, the Euro Cup.

Completely agree with you

It depends on what you understand by technique. For me, technique only means ball control, it doesn't encompass dribbling and passing, those are distinct categories. And in terms of ball control, I see Ronaldo Fenomeno, Ronaldinho and Maradona as being superior.

Completely agree with that.

I still see Maradona's achievements with Napoli as more impressive than Messi's with Barcelona.
Napoli was battling relegation before Maradona came along. He turned them into champions.
Barcelona already was a world class team before Messi came along. Sure, he made them even better, but they would have won many trophies even without him.
So klose is better than r9 yeah?

VBI

Supports
Celtic, Barca
Argentina's 86 team is almost certainly their best ever team, I don't know where this ongoing idea comes from that Maradona carried plumbers and such. Valdano, Burruchaga and Ruggeri were in that squad, Passarella, arguably South America's best ever centre back and the Captain of the 78 WC winning squad, 5 players from the 85 and 86 Copa Libertadores winning teams, aging legend Bochini, several players that had won domestic titles within a season or two in Argentina and Mexico. The very fact that this is the only time Argentina won it outside their own territory (without the shady circumstances of 78) proves that. It doesn't detract from Maradona absolutely being the key guy in a type of single player tournament performance you've probably don't had since.

Bogdannn

So klose is better than r9 yeah?
This silly argument/example has been put up by countless Messi apologists. Sometimes even CR7 apologists, although, as I already mentioned, CR7 has had a better international career than Messi, cause he actually won a major trophy with Portugal, a team that is inferior to Argentina.

Nobody's arguing that every player that has won a World Cup is greater than Messi and CR7, or that every player that has won a Champions League is greater than R9. Basically, we are not attributing greatness to players that have been in winning squads at international and/or club level, but to players that have been instrumental for their teams winning those trophies.

Klose never carried Germany. R9 put far more significant performances for Brazil than Klose for Germany. Muller and Beckenbauser are far important players for Germany than Klose will ever be.
Likewise, Maradona isn't better than Messi cause he has more goals at the World Cup or cause he has a World Cup medal, he's better cause he was able to carry his team to that World Cup glory.

No, they are not. They are still behind Maradona and Pele and won't surpass them until they win a World Cup.

Argentina's 86 team is almost certainly their best ever team, I don't know where this ongoing idea comes from that Maradona carried plumbers and such. Valdano, Burruchaga and Ruggeri were in that squad, Passarella, arguably South America's best ever centre back and the Captain of the 78 WC winning squad, 5 players from the 85 and 86 Copa Libertadores winning teams, aging legend Bochini, several players that had won domestic titles within a season or two in Argentina and Mexico. The very fact that this is the only time Argentina won it outside their own territory (without the shady circumstances of 78) proves that. It doesn't detract from Maradona absolutely being the key guy in a type of single player tournament performance you've probably don't had since.
No, it's not. Pit that 1986 team Maradona had against the 2014 team Messi had, with Maradona and Messi not playing, and the 2014 team wins without any problem.
And nobody said they were plumbers, just that they weren't that great of a team and that they would have never won it without Maradona.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
2nd best player I've seen. Pointless comparing him to one's I haven't.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
This silly argument/example has been put up by countless Messi apologists. Sometimes even CR7 apologists, although, as I already mentioned, CR7 has had a better international career than Messi, cause he actually won a major trophy with Portugal, a team that is inferior to Argentina.

Nobody's arguing that every player that has won a World Cup is greater than Messi and CR7, or that every player that has won a Champions League is greater than R9. Basically, we are not attributing greatness to players that have been in winning squads at international and/or club level, but to players that have been instrumental for their teams winning those trophies.

Klose never carried Germany. R9 put far more significant performances for Brazil than Klose for Germany. Muller and Beckenbauser are far important players for Germany than Klose will ever be.
Likewise, Maradona isn't better than Messi cause he has more goals at the World Cup or cause he has a World Cup medal, he's better cause he was able to carry his team to that World Cup glory.

No, they are not. They are still behind Maradona and Pele and won't surpass them until they win a World Cup.

No, it's not. Pit that 1986 team Maradona had against the 2014 team Messi had, with Maradona and Messi not playing, and the 2014 team wins without any problem.
And nobody said they were plumbers, just that they weren't that great of a team and that they would have never won it without Maradona.
You seems to move around the goalposts only when it suited you.

First its the world cup.
Then it's instrumental
Then it's single handedly carrying the team.

Do us a favor. Check the brazilian team ronaldo 9 played in. And tell me he single Handedly drag them to the title.

Go on

Pocho

Funny how people keep saying Argentina had a great team in 2014, who of that great team not named Messi would you have at OT, Lavezzi? Garay? Romero? Demichelis? Rojo? Palacios? Not even Higuain

Zlaatan

Parody Account
So many of your arguments are just hypotheticals with no factual reasoning behind them (modern players can't cope with 80's conditions/players, past greats would do better than current greats if they played today etc). I get that it's your opinion and that's fine, but you present them as they are facts and never say why you believe it to be true, which just makes it pointless. I could refute these claims with a 'nope' and my "argument" would be just as sound as yours.

Also, while I think most would agree that a team from 2014 would beat a team from 1986 it still doesn't say anything about how good they were in their respective time period or which is the best. So not only is it a hypothetical argument, it also does absolutely nothing to refute the claim that Argentina's team from 86' is their best ever which was the claim you were replying to.

Last edited:

marktan

It's sad that people who underrate Ronaldo forget about his dribbling years, particularly around 2005 - 2007, just because he became a better goalscorer later on. There's very few players from the past that I'd have taken over that version of Ronaldo. Just the pace, power, skill.. it was a sight to behold.

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
The Argentina which was toothless against the likes of Bosnia, Switzerland and Iran, and required Messi magic to win group stage was some how a great team :lol:. Stupid shit you hear. Argentina 2014 was wank offensively, if Messi wasn't involved, they didn't scored. Defensively yes they were good.

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
It's sad that people who underrate Ronaldo forget about his dribbling years, particularly around 2005 - 2007, just because he became a better goalscorer later on. There's very few players from the past that I'd have taken over that version of Ronaldo. Just the pace, power, skill.. it was a sight to behold.
That 2005-2007 CR7 (Last year at United and first 2 years at Madrid) was the best version of CR7 I have seen. But that version was only for 3-4 years.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
That 2005-2007 CR7 (Last year at United and first 2 years at Madrid) was the best version of CR7 I have seen. But that version was only for 3-4 years.
He was at United during that time. You probably mean 2009-2012? He was better for us in 07/08 than 08/09. Rooney was every bit as good as him in 08/09. Probably better actually.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
You might check that again. Passarella didn't play a minute in WC 1986 and withdraw from the tournament as he had a massive row with Maradona because an armband went to Diego and not him. Bochini played just few minutes against Belgium (he couldn't play more as Diego played in his position) and Argentina went into the tournament divided into Passarella and Maradona group. Valdano for example was initially on Passarella side.

Have seen a lot of cases of trying to twist actual events and this one goes very high on that list.

That tournament was all Diego. No one in history ever played on that level.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
The Argentina which was toothless against the likes of Bosnia, Switzerland and Iran, and required Messi magic to win group stage was some how a great team :lol:. Stupid shit you hear. Argentina 2014 was wank offensively, if Messi wasn't involved, they didn't scored. Defensively yes they were good.
I think its fair to say that Messi carried in the group stages, in the knockouts it was more about being very solid in defense and midfield, though Messi and Di Maria cause trouble for the opposition.