Cristiano Ronaldo : The Juventus Chapter | Fin

Status
Not open for further replies.

De Portago

Supports
Red Star
I reckon Ronaldo moved to Juventus because they were willing to up his salary by 50 percent. If the only offer of that sort was from PSG than that's where he would have ended up.

mshnsh

And so what? Messi only ever did stuff for Barcelona, arguably playing with the best players ever like Iniesta, busquets and Xavi, best managers ever like Pep, players like Suarez, Neymar, Puyol, David Villa, pique, Alves, Alba..

The guy literally needed cheap hormone injection to be good enough for professional football and then took the easy way out because of 'loyalty'. Atleast iniest and xavi dominated at every chance they got including euros and world cups but Messi? Absolute Nada and the guy is looking less useful at being the main man the further he gets away from xavi/Iniesta's era.

The guy is constantly hyped for being this 'magical player' which I agree that he is - but as much as that has been shown in the UCL it has been over hyped due to playing in one of the most lopsided leagues in world football. People lose there testosterone due to his goal vs getafe - like who?

Ronaldo was a magical player who ditched the magic early on like dribbling and skills to be a more solo minded player and the more he succeeded the more he wanted to try himself in different leagues who play at different tempos, different tactics, different environments, different physiques, different attacking or defensive mindset, different languages and so much more.

Why should C Ronaldo join Newcastle United to be valued as one of the best footballers in the world when Messi ends up doing the same repetitive crap for the same repetitive team against the same repetitive poor defenses only for people to go nuts when he takes on 3 defenders no one has heard about that would be lucky enough to be in the PL or even the physical defenders of Serie A. It dont matter - some people just need to see the magic & that's okay even if he looks like he isnt got the ability to be 'that player who is there when you need it the most' the more he plays away from the Xavi and iniesta era ( vs liverpool cl? Shocking).
There is alot of nonsense and bias in your argument.

1. Ronaldo was never magical other than a couple of seasons in his entire career. His game has always been to poach goals, counter attack or attempts as many shots as possible. His dribbling stats prove as such; 3.3/game in 09/10 than around 2/game in next 4 seasons and than around 1/game in his last 4 seasons at Madrid.

2. People like you claim that he left la liga for serie A because he wanted to prove himself. Yet he actually joined a one team league and he joined that one team which is by far the most dominant and TBH he hasnt made them better in serie A. If he really wanted to prove himself, he should have joined a top 4 eg Inter or Roma side other than juve and helped them wrestle the title away.

3. Messi has proven himself many times against the elite teams of Europe. Need i remind you how many times he shat on premier league teams including united.He has also proven himself several times against Real and Atletico Madrid especially in his prime and regularly outshone Cristiano when they shared the pitch. Go watch the classicos in the UCL or many in la liga. If Ronaldo did not score, he would be invisible in those games.

4. Messi's lack of success with Argentina has not been due to absence of xavi or iniesta but rather poor management and in the case of atleast a couple of tournaments Higuain screwing it up. Think last minute counter vs Chile in 2015 etc.

5. The argument about growth hormone is laughable.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I worry for all his haters, once he retires, how will their fill their lives ? (Same question for the other guy too). We're lucky to have him at this level, still be among the best in the world. You can dislike the man but his achievements are history.

Eddy_JukeZ

I remember @Peyroteo making some pretty detailed and lengthy posts about Barca being weaker with Messi in the team because they were effectively defending with one less player.

I wonder if he's going to go to the same effort in criticising Ronaldo, who has the same limitations, but offers even less creativity and build-up play.

Good point. I agree with you.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Despite my previous posts and thinking some are moving goalposts to support him, I think he is the GOAT. or at least the GOAT in terms of goal scoring. I don't think I have ever recovered from his sale. I think he is the first and last player I have really been attached to. I will never forget coming back from my AS level exam to find out he had left. Up until then, I couldn't really comprehend him leaving. It felt like someone had died. That summer was just horrible, football wise. I remember watching in utter amazement and disbelief at a packed Bernabeu just for his unveiling.
I have never seen a human being with his drive and work ethic. He really is the Michael Jordan of football. Having said all that, he is half the player he was, still is some player never mind. I was watching the game they lost recently. It was painful trying to watch him dribble. He has lost that explosiveness totally. He has made up for that with perhaps the best movement of a forward I have ever seen but to me, in no way does he look like a 1m euro a week player. I thought it was a bad deal for Juve and I have not seen anything to convince me otherwise. He just hasn't and won't give Juve the kind of lift to justify that outlay in terms of fees and wages. To make matters worse, he has no resale value.

fps

And so what? Messi only ever did stuff for Barcelona, arguably playing with the best players ever like Iniesta, busquets and Xavi, best managers ever like Pep, players like Suarez, Neymar, Puyol, David Villa, pique, Alves, Alba..

The guy literally needed cheap hormone injection to be good enough for professional football and then took the easy way out because of 'loyalty'. Atleast iniest and xavi dominated at every chance they got including euros and world cups but Messi? Absolute Nada and the guy is looking less useful at being the main man the further he gets away from xavi/Iniesta's era.

The guy is constantly hyped for being this 'magical player' which I agree that he is - but as much as that has been shown in the UCL it has been over hyped due to playing in one of the most lopsided leagues in world football. People lose there testosterone due to his goal vs getafe - like who?

Ronaldo was a magical player who ditched the magic early on like dribbling and skills to be a more solo minded player and the more he succeeded the more he wanted to try himself in different leagues who play at different tempos, different tactics, different environments, different physiques, different attacking or defensive mindset, different languages and so much more.

Why should C Ronaldo join Newcastle United to be valued as one of the best footballers in the world when Messi ends up doing the same repetitive crap for the same repetitive team against the same repetitive poor defenses only for people to go nuts when he takes on 3 defenders no one has heard about that would be lucky enough to be in the PL or even the physical defenders of Serie A. It dont matter - some people just need to see the magic & that's okay even if he looks like he isnt got the ability to be 'that player who is there when you need it the most' the more he plays away from the Xavi and iniesta era ( vs liverpool cl? Shocking).
You really need some help. This level of fanboyism and ranting about people, let alone people who don’t even know you exist, who don’t even know you exist isn’t healthy. Your comments about Messi suggest you don’t even like football, frankly.

Camara

Supports
FC Porto
4. Messi's lack of success with Argentina has not been due to absence of xavi or iniesta but rather poor management and in the case of atleast a couple of tournaments Higuain screwing it up. Think last minute counter vs Chile in 2015 etc.
Is this the same Higuain that played with Ronaldo in Real and Juventus?

youmeletsfly

I reckon Ronaldo moved to Juventus because they were willing to up his salary by 50 percent. If the only offer of that sort was from PSG than that's where he would have ended up.
He's worth nearly a billion, don't think 15-20-25 mil makes a difference for him.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
From what I understand he left Real as he fell out with the board, and if Ronaldo cares about cash then China I am sure would have got well involved with him.

Adisa

He's worth nearly a billion, don't think 15-20-25 mil makes a difference for him.
It does. He might be worth a billion in assets but that s 25m of cash.
It was well documented that Flo reneged on a promised contract.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
You really need some help. This level of fanboyism and ranting about people, let alone people who don’t even know you exist, who don’t even know you exist isn’t healthy. Your comments about Messi suggest you don’t even like football, frankly.
And your protection of Messi is as equal fanboyism as me. Messi fans come to Ronaldo thread every chance they get and what happens in the Lionel Messi thread every season he goes without winning crap? Absolutely nothing. It's the messi fans for some reason who are enthralled by Ronaldo's career.

SirAF

Ageist
And your protection of Messi is as equal fanboyism as me. Messi fans come to Ronaldo thread every chance they get and what happens in the Lionel Messi thread every season he goes without winning crap? Absolutely nothing. It's the messi fans for some reason who are enthralled by Ronaldo's career.
Bingo. I have zero posts in the Messi thread.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Because I'm a football fan, I am a Ronaldo fan(and he used to play for United as well), but it's truly possible to appreciate him without thinking he is the goat. I can appreciate Zidane and Ronaldinho without constantly declaring one better than the other and comparing them. Ronaldo and Messi are they greatest of their era and both have different styles of play which can make you appreciate them each in their different way.

But people seriously need stop spouting this stupid crap about Messi's growth hormone therapy giving him an edge. It doesn't. HRT just restores your growth hormone to natural levels. Professional footballers already produce it in abundance. If he didn't have that illness in the first place he'd probably be taller in the first place and probably been more confident growing up rather than being a midget.

MrEleson

He just hasn't and won't give Juve the kind of lift to justify that outlay in terms of fees and wages
He’s been doing that ever since he signed for them. He scored every single one of their goals in the KO stages of last season’s CL campaign including that memorable hat-trick in that comeback vs. Atletico. It’s not really his fault the rest of the team simply haven’t been up to par. This season they would be nowhere without his goals in the league.

RedStarUnited

He’s been doing that ever since he signed for them. He scored every single one of their goals in the KO stages of last season’s CL campaign including that memorable hat-trick in that comeback vs. Atletico. It’s not really his fault the rest of the team simply haven’t been up to par. This season they would be nowhere without his goals in the league.
Yeah, must be hard to elevate a team thats won every title since 2010.

I also personally think Dybala has been their best attacker. and its crazy that they wanted to get rid of him in the summer.

MrEleson

Yeah, must be hard to elevate a team thats won every title since 2010.

I also personally think Dybala has been their best attacker. and its crazy that they wanted to get rid of him in the summer.
So? 2010 was 10 years ago. Observe their team now to what it was even 4-5 years ago and it pales in comparison.

Adisa

I never understand this analogy. If he wasn't there, someone else would. They have won the league 9 times in a row. Do we really think they would not have won it if they invested the funds elsewhere?
I am simply looking at it objectively, has he really improved the team? Lets forget his numbers for a minute, are they better than they were last year? If I am Juve, I would think 100m and 1m a week is better spent improving the rest of the XI.
I look at their games most of the time and think they don't have a team to support a wide forward who does not press and doesn't contribute from slightly deeper areas. The team as it is can't make up for the shortfall in creativity. None of this is Ronnies fault. He is still one of the best players in the world.

RedStarUnited

So? 2010 was 10 years ago. Observe their team now to what it was even 4-5 years ago and it pales in comparison.
They have won every title since then, so it doesnt matter. The other teams in Italy are just not good enough, yet.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
First and foremost this idea that Cristiano is a GOAT because he has proven himself in 3 different leagues is total bollocks.

He played for United, the best team in England during his time as demonstrated by the fact that United won the league several times after he left as long as Fergie was here.

He played for Real Madrid, one of the 3 best teams in Spain yet despite all the investment in top quality players along with Cristiano, they won the league only twice. They won the league without him too. The champions league argument on the surface of it looks good but Real rode ALOT of luck in winning those; typical when it comes to knock out competitions.

He now plays for Juventus, by far the most dominant team in Italy yet for the second season running he is outscored despite a ton of penalties.

Add to this, it is also absolute bollocks that he is now a goal poacher because he is slowing down; yes he is a goal poacher but he always has been for the majority of his career. Just watch all his goals at Madrid. How many were the typical tap in and penalties?. In addition, the quality of his allround play simply has not been to the level of players that he is compared to (just because of his stats).

Yet Messi has played for the greatest (arguably) team in history with the core of the team being the greatest/most dominant (arguably) national team in history. All in the same system with the best players.

Ronaldo has literally dominated 3 different leagues and is indisputably the best player in the history of the CL.

Added to this he won a major trophy with Portugal.

Please let’s not compare.

Your “argument” was a bad one.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Yet Messi has played for the greatest (arguably) team in history with the core of the team being the greatest/most dominant (arguably) national team in history. All in the same system with the best players.

Ronaldo has literally dominated 3 different leagues and is indisputably the best player in the history of the CL.

I dispute that. On a paper listing superficial statistics, maybe. But if you watch all his games, his overall contribution is not enough to be considered the best CL player in history, whereever this 'title' is even coming from, suddenly.

SportingCP96

Supports
I dispute that. On a paper listing superficial statistics, maybe. But if you watch all his games, his overall contribution is not enough to be considered the best CL player in history, whereever this 'title' is even coming from, suddenly.
Top goal scorer and Assister in the CL and best knockout game performer of all time.

His numbers from the R16 to the finals are literally double of the second best player.

Then you put into account the 3 peat and overall 5 CL wins and it’s just not a debate really.

Bole Top

can't be arsed to check La Liga stats from recent seasons, but since he was in the race for topscorer almost until the end, it was probably the best chance he had in a while to become league's topscorer. it's hard to predict what will happen next season as Juventus may decline a bit, resulting in fewer team goals but most of them being scored by Ronaldo again, or they could actually improve their overall play only for goals to spread more and with less focus on Ronaldo. he'll be older next season, but Immobile's number will most likely drop as I don't believe he'll have another season like this and I don't see Lukaku improving that much to challenge them.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Top goal scorer and Assister in the CL and best knockout game performer of all time.

His numbers from the R16 to the finals are literally double of the second best player.

Then you put into account the 3 peat and overall 5 CL wins and it’s just not a debate really.
It is. I've watched the matches you're talking about and he was hardly impressive in any of them, goals aside. I'm sorry but even if he scores three goals, if he vanishes for the remainder of the game while others run the show, that's simply not what I expect from the 'best of all time'.

SportingCP96

Supports
It is. I've watched the matches you're talking about and he was hardly impressive in any of them, goals aside. I'm sorry but even if he scores three goals, if he vanishes for the remainder of the game while others run the show, that's simply not what I expect from the 'best of all time'.
Then your just blind.

One can not simply score 3 goals and have a “bad” game. Additionally he does much more then that.

The most important thing in football is Goals and that is the goal of every team when they step on the pitch. When you see that one man had double the amount of goals in the most important games R16-Final compared to anyone else...how can you ignore that?

He leads the CL in goals and in assists and has absolutely dominated the CL like no other player ever.

Pundits call him “Mr. Champions league” for a reason

Literally no one comes close to him in the CL and especially in the knockout rounds.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Then your just blind.

One can not simply score 3 goals and have a “bad” game. Additionally he does much more then that.

The most important thing in football is Goals and that is the goal of every team when they step on the pitch. When you see that one man had double the amount of goals in the most important games R16-Final compared to anyone else...how can you ignore that?

He leads the CL in goals and in assists and has absolutely dominated the CL like no other player ever.

Pundits call him “Mr. Champions league” for a reason

Literally no one comes close to him in the CL and especially in the knockout rounds.
I'm watching football since 20 years. I've seen so many games in which the best player on the pitch didn't even appear on the scoring sheets.

I also didn't say that Ronaldo had bad games. If you score three goals, you've obviously had a good game. But you set the benchmark by claiming he was the best in histoty and for that three goals, especially poached ones, and offering almost nothing else is simply not enough for me and never will be.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I'm also still waiting for the credit that Quagliarella, Luca Toni, and Di Natale deserve for what they did in their mid-30s at Seria A and they weren't even "physical specimens", we need more Italians here to celebrate them.
Toò was magic :drool: . Toni was a great story and a scathing indictment of the level of the league and Quagliarella is still good and his scoring title last season was heavily inflated by penalties

Toni was a beast at his peak though. 31 goals in the league in 05/06 was insane. And he was very much a physical specimen back then
Is this the same Higuain that played with Ronaldo in Real and Juventus?
No, this was the Higuain at his peak

Though 3 finals in a row isn't nothing i would say
If we gave him what he wanted he wouldn't have left
It does. He might be worth a billion in assets but that s 25m of cash.
It was well documented that Flo reneged on a promised contract.
Not exactly reneged so much as didn't offer what he wanted/expected and refused to do so
I am simply looking at it objectively, has he really improved the team?
First half of last season, yeah. Otherwise no, but hardly his fault that

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Uhmmm

Immobile over Cristiano is kind of fine, more or less. Don't think he was better but he did equal the all time record, regardless of penalties

Dybala makes no sense, Papu Gomez robbed, also pity Ilicic was hit so hard by the lockdown :( . Best player in the league before that, quite clearly so

fps

I’m not “protecting” Messi, you see this stuff in a really weird way. They’re just two wonderful players I’ve been very lucky to see play over so many years. It’s tragic to see so many people trying to denigrate one or the other to try and shore up the kind of embarrassing fanboyism one wouldn’t expect of someone beyond the age of about 12.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
There's a big chance Juve wouldn't have been champions this year with the much improved opposition without Ronaldo.

Of course you could also argue that Sarri would have a more balanced team without having to shoehorn both CR and Dybala into a functional side.

Personally I think Juve would be a lot worse without Ronaldo and they have their terrible transfer policy to blame. It's not just the goals but the winning mentality ans ambition he brings as well.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Of course you could also argue that Sarri would have a more balanced team without having to shoehorn both CR and Dybala into a functional side.
This is the same story with Messi and Suarez. If your two best players, who perform like world class players, are a tactical problem, then the manager is the problem

Personally I think Juve would be a lot worse without Ronaldo and they have their terrible transfer policy to blame. It's not just the goals but the winning mentality ans ambition he brings as well.
They already had that though. His signing gave them more of that plus enthusiasm, but he didn't make that big of a difference there

VP

Ronaldo's Instagram is hilarious. It can also explain why he attracts such obsessive devotion.

SportingCP96

Supports
I'm watching football since 20 years. I've seen so many games in which the best player on the pitch didn't even appear on the scoring sheets.

I also didn't say that Ronaldo had bad games. If you score three goals, you've obviously had a good game. But you set the benchmark by claiming he was the best in histoty and for that three goals, especially poached ones, and offering almost nothing else is simply not enough for me and never will be.
If you think all he does is Score goals and that’s all he offers a team then you have never seen Ronaldo play.

No one is even remotely close to him in the knockout stage. He’s so far ahead it’s not even funny.

You can debate that whoever you want is better then him all time all you want as wrong as it may be.

But if we are talking about the CL then it’s Ronaldo and then there is everyone else.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
If you think all he does is Score goals and that’s all he offers a team then you have never seen Ronaldo play.

No one is even remotely close to him in the knockout stage. He’s so far ahead it’s not even funny.

You can debate that whoever you want is better then him all time all you want as wrong as it may be.

But if we are talking about the CL then it’s Ronaldo and then there is everyone else.

Are you still going :lol:

You must have made about 1000 posts on Ronaldo in the Ronaldo threads and the Ronaldo vs Messi threads. It’s like a disease.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
If you think all he does is Score goals and that’s all he offers a team then you have never seen Ronaldo play
Could you be more precise how he did that in those campaigns, exactly?

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
All Portugal on here defending their God-like footballer? Not impressed.
Ligue 1 fans impersonating the Frog against the Serie A Ox? Not impressed.
PSG snatching Ronaldo from the jaws of these sad losers, low-tiers Juve? Please, do! Do. It. Now!!

mshnsh

Indisputably the best goal poacher in UCL history is the more appropriate terminology. His performances outside the goals have hardly been great.

In addition, he did not rule the EPL; one good season (07/08, more due to goals) and one very good season (06/07) does not equate to dominating; he did not dominate la liga where he won the league only twice despite all of Real Madrid's investments other then Cristiano and during his time there his game was almost entirely about poaching goals, and you cannot say he is dominating Serie A because he joined a team that was already dominating even before he arrived and his own teammate has been chosen as the best in serie A this season plus he has been outscored by some very average players despite a ton of penalties.

The major trophy with portugal was entirely luck; Portugal did not win a single game in 90 minutes (except vs a poor wales team) in the tournament and faced poor opposition through out. Ronaldo himself was actually quite poor.

The attacks vs Messi are nonsensical quite simply because he has continued dominating even after xavi and iniesta left. He has been over the last 13 seasons the best player in every aspect of the game including dribbling, creativity and goal scoring. If someone like Pique cant defend, its not Messi's fault, if Suarez has failed to score in UCL away from home since 2015, its not Messi's fault, if Higuain kept screwing up, its not messi,s fault and its not his fault either if the Argentine national team has been been mismanaged throughout his time(and even before his time with them).

Your arguments in favour of Cristiano cant be taken seriously given that you support Sporting.

Given that you are a Sporting fan, your arguments cannot be taken seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.