Cristiano Ronaldo : The Juventus Chapter | Fin

Status
Not open for further replies.

abundance

Supports
Inter
I am not sure which other players you are referring to here?
[...]
If you disregard penalties he's not even the most used and prolific forward at Juventus.

From open play:

Ronaldo:
10 match started
11 played
919 minutes
8 goals
1 assist
0.78 goals per 90mins
0.88 goals+assists per 90mins

Morata:
12 match started
14 played
1032 mins
9 goals
4 assists
0.78 goals per 90mins
1.13 goals+assists per 90mins

https://fbref.com/en/squads/e0652b02/2020-2021/all_comps/Juventus-Stats-All-Competitions

Last edited:

abundance

Supports
Inter
oh and of course, wait for it...

Lukaku:
13 match started
15 match played
1147 minutes
12 goals
2 assists
0.94 goals per 90mins
1.10 goals+assists per 90mins

:p

Raredaredevil

Imagine scoring penalties and this thread gets bumped with GOAT and Siuuuuu. Jesus Christ. You would have thought he dribbled past the entire defence or score a Zlatan like goal. These Ronaldo fans are so insecure hahaha.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
If you disregard penalties he's not even the most used and prolific forward at Juventus.

From open play:

Ronaldo:
10 match started
11 played
919 minutes
8 goals
1 assist
0.78 goals per 90mins
0.88 goals+assists per 90mins

Morata:
12 match started
14 played
1032 mins
9 goals
4 assists
0.78 goals per 90mins
1.13 goals+assists per 90mins

https://fbref.com/en/squads/e0652b02/2020-2021/all_comps/Juventus-Stats-All-Competitions
So your are suggesting scoring penalties is not prolific? Maybe missing penalties is better than scoring them then?

If disregard penalties Messi would only have 2 or 3 goals in 15 games. So you are also suggesting Messi is one of the worst forward, not only in Barca, but among all the top teams in the league?

If disregard penalties Bruno would be average player too.

Also, Ronaldo has recorded 2 assist in whoscored, no idea why your source only recorded 1.

Last edited:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
oh and of course, wait for it...

Lukaku:
13 match started
15 match played
1147 minutes
12 goals
2 assists
0.94 goals per 90mins
1.10 goals+assists per 90mins

:p
Yeh without penalties Lukaku would more prolific than Lewandoski, who only has 13 goals in 16 games.
But the world count penalties as goals, sad isn’t it.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Lesser, slower league means he has more time on the ball?
Yes but even by his own standards at Juve and considering he had Covid, he has improved his numbers compared to his other seasons at Juve. Defensively he’s tracking back more too albeit not pressing as hard.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Very interesting statistic. Generally they underline the impression that his last Madrid season was his worst in terms of overall contribution and that his playing style for Juve is more active again. I'm curious how those stats looked from 2009 to 2013 by the way.

Possibly all the talk that he's just a poacher also has gotten to him and he tries to prove his critics wrong.

RashyForPM

Camara

Supports
FC Porto
His running and movement back depends obviously in the team he's in, even when he was in Real where he barely needed to come to midfield he played very differently for Portugal, where it was necessary for him to come back and start the attacks himself.

abundance

Supports
Inter
Yeh without penalties Lukaku would more prolific than Lewandoski, who only has 13 goals in 16 games.
But the world count penalties as goals, sad isn’t it.
Posting Lukaku stats was just banter - and as an Inter fan, I'm honestly more impressed by the amount he misses than the amount he scores...

Anyway, I stand by my opinion that if one wants to bring up a contest about which striker is more, like, "on fire", by counting goals (which is already a crude metric as it disregards when in the game, how, and against who, those where scored, and what he does when he doesn't score), at least only goals from open play and set pieces should be counted.

Being consistently good at scoring penalties is of course an important trait for a player in a team, and Ronaldo 6 out of 6 is another good stat about him, but... let's put it this way: if the designated, and consistently good, penalty taker for a team was a CB, instead of a striker, nothing would change for that team; but if their striker doesn't score much from open play, well they most probably have a problem.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Being consistently good at scoring penalties is of course an important trait for a player in a team, and Ronaldo 6 out of 6 is another good stat about him, but... let's put it this way: if the designated, and consistently good, penalty taker for a team was a CB, instead of a striker, nothing would change for that team; but if their striker doesn't score much from open play, well they most probably have a problem.
He's not a CB and his conversion rate is very good, and if you want to take open play into account then it's also a merit of him if those penalties come from fouls committed to him; so he's clearly impacting the game.

Very interesting statistic. Generally they underline the impression that his last Madrid season was his worst in terms of overall contribution and that his playing style for Juve is more active again. I'm curious how those stats looked from 2009 to 2013 by the way.
At the beginning Ronaldo started seasons strong and would finish on poor form or at least that was my impression, then it was like he was administrating himself better starting seasons slower in order to be able to finish seasons strong. Overall I always thought his workrate was good at least he comes very handy when defending set pieces and corner kicks but it also changes depending on the team as with Portugal all the team seems involved in defending and thus Ronaldo tracks back more when playing for Portugal.

So I think it's a matter of him being a more intelligent and mature player as it's impossible for him to retain the same speed, stamina, explosiveness and endurance when he was younger, it doesn't make sense!

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
35 and still the best finisher in the world, the man is remarkable.

bakalhau

16 goals in 13 games this season! Par for the course for this guy, nothing to see here really.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Posting Lukaku stats was just banter - and as an Inter fan, I'm honestly more impressed by the amount he misses than the amount he scores...

Anyway, I stand by my opinion that if one wants to bring up a contest about which striker is more, like, "on fire", by counting goals (which is already a crude metric as it disregards when in the game, how, and against who, those where scored, and what he does when he doesn't score), at least only goals from open play and set pieces should be counted.

Disagree. Goals are goals, whether its just freekicks or penalties or goals from open play. Even if its goal from open play, one could argue those 5 yard goals against empty net shouldn't be count as well, as its easier to score than penalty. if you go to the extreme to analysis whether the player is prolific or not, there are many ways to breakdown stats, recently there is even a new metric called "expected goals" (XG) to analysis the shot quality and statistical measure the quality of chances created and conceded.

If you want to breakdown the goals from open play and penalties separately to judge whether the players is prolific or not, you need to breakdown everything in detail, show everything, instead of removing/disregarding some of the stats completely to suit your own agenda.

Ronaldo:
12 match started
13 played
1091minutes
16 goals
- 10 goals from open play
- 6 goals from penalties
1.32 goals per 90mins
- 0.82 goals from open play per 90 mins

Morata:
13 match started
15 played
1205 mins
10 goals
- 10 goals from open play
- 0 goals from penalties
0.75 goals per 90 mins
- 0.75 goals from open play per 90 mins

In terms of overall no. of goals scored: Ronaldo>Morata
In terms of most prolific overall: Ronaldo>Morata
In terms of most prolific in open play only: Ronaldo>Morata
In terms of most prolific in penalty only: Ronaldo>Morata.

Last edited:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
16 goals in 13 games this season! Par for the course for this guy, nothing to see here really.
Yeh he is really on par with Haaland and Lewandowski this season, who are all brilliant.

Ronaldo: 16 goals in 13 games
Haaland: 17 goals in 14 games
Lewandowski: 20 goals in 16 games

These 3 players clearly stand out among others. But Ronaldo, who is nearly 36, and just recovered from COVID not long ago, really impress me even more.

Last edited:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Laugh all you want, penalties are an easier chance to get a goal than most other goal scoring chances.
You have always been outspoken against Ronaldo's penalty in this thread. On the other hand, Messi has scored 5 penalties, out of his 9 goals scored this season (nearly 2/3). What's your opinion on that then?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It's kinda maddening that he's somehow managed to revert back to his 2012-2014 version while also keeping the ludicrous knack for deciding big games of the 16-18 version

Oranges038

A man continues to do what he's done for almost the last 15 years with different players and different teams in different countries as well as at international level. Him being the common denominator in all those sides.

He is still in excellent physical condition. He's still at the top of his profession and he has evolved his game immeasurably to stay there.

The fact that some people still try and detract from that is quite sad in my opinion.

United Junkie

It's kinda maddening that he's somehow managed to revert back to his 2012-2014 version while also keeping the ludicrous knack for deciding big games of the 16-18 version
I know right. This guy must be having Alien DNA or at least be part Cyborg. It's unreal what he does week in and week out.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
What I love about him as a player was that extra bit of mentality he had.

He had the physical ability, the technical ability, the ego and the mentality to just go to the different leagues and try the best he can to push for that GOAT spot because I felt he wanted it.

I loved that I felt he wanted it and I can see that now more than ever whatever age he is now and whichever country he plays in.

Ananke

Why on earth would you disregard penalties :lol: The top teams will get penalties due to pressuring defenders to make mistakes, the top players will take penalties. Messi, lewandoski, bloody BRUNO! They all have a shit ton of goals coming from pens. Shall we start taking out tap ins from certain players, because they don’t really deserve those pumping up their stats right? :lol:

MalcolmTucker

Think being a good penalty taker has become more important in the last two seasons with VAR and the strict handball rule

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

Possibly all the talk that he's just a poacher also has gotten to him and he tries to prove his critics wrong.
He's probably maintaining his standard of fitness even during the pandemic while the rest of the world probably let's it slide a bit hence him looking fitter.

Gonçalo Motta

The thing about Ronaldo is that he is obviously far from is own peak and he still is one of the best players around dispite his age and dispite his slow decline over time.

It's insane how far Ronaldo was from everyone else (bar Messi) during his long peak when you put in to perspective that a 35y old (almost 36) and declined Ronaldo is on par with the current best players in the world.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
You have always been outspoken against Ronaldo's penalty in this thread. On the other hand, Messi has scored 5 penalties, out of his 9 goals scored this season (nearly 2/3). What's your opinion on that then?
I don't care about what Messi is doing. This is not the Ron vs Messi thread. Messi has been poor this season but so has the whole Barca squad.

It is just cringeworthy when people comment Siuuu and the like when he scored a penalty as if that is the hardest thing to do in football. Fair enough he is doing very good, especially for his age. But look at the top scorer in the league in the last 5 seasons.

2015/16 Higuain 36
2016/17 Dzeko 29
2017/18 Icardi/Immobile 29
2018/19 Quagliarella (age 34) 26
2019/20 Immobile 36

Current season: Ronaldo 12, Zlatan (age 39) 10, Lukaku 10. Ron has 4 pens, Zlatan and Lukaku 2 pens. It is hard to take the top scorer too seriously when looking at the top scorers recently. Zlatan is 40 soon, Lukaku scores goals but isn't a top player. Higuain and Immobile scoring 36 goals in a 38 game season kind of shows that the league is a bit meh.

MrEleson

Higuain and Immobile scoring 36 goals in a 38 game season kind of shows that the league is a bit meh.
- Higuain WAS a top player. He regularly started ahead of Aguero for the National Team and his numbers were good at Madrid too. The problem is that he was a serial bottler.
- Immobile scored 36 goals; 14 of which were penalties in a season where the rules changed so pens were being awarded at an unprecedented rate so his numbers were inflated and don't necessarily represent the strength of the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.