Cristiano Ronaldo : The Juventus Chapter | Fin

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackal&hyde

When is his contract up? I think Juventus need to save that money and build their squad again. They still have a chance to win the scudetto but they can normally do that sleepwalking.

All those penny pinching and freebie signings and they waste all that money on an ageing Ronaldo was terrible business in hindsight.

Any chance Cristiano goes back to Madrid?
Or they could just try a decent manager.

Traub

Beginning of the end lads. With both him and Messi not making the QFs, the era is officially over - it's been over slowly for last couple of seasons, but this season confirms it.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Or they could just try a decent manager.
I’m not sure what manager can get their midfield to be good enough or to fix their ageing defence. Dybala seems to have fallen off a cliff since Cristiano has turned up and aside from Cheisa, they’re relying on Morata if Cristiano doesn’t score.

They’ve built that squad horribly and 3 managers have failed to get past teams they should have beaten.

dabeast

I hope we can buy back CR7 on a free this summer for 1 year. He will be Cavani's replacement and invaluable in teaching temperament to Rashford, Greenwood, Sancho(!) and, maybe, Haaland.

dabeast

We could buy him on DDG's wages and a percentage of the revenue of his shirts sold.

dinostar77

When is his contract up? I think Juventus need to save that money and build their squad again. They still have a chance to win the scudetto but they can normally do that sleepwalking.

All those penny pinching and freebie signings and they waste all that money on an ageing Ronaldo was terrible business in hindsight.

Any chance Cristiano goes back to Madrid?
June 2022 when his contract expires. Alledgedly £550,000 a week in wages. Can't see him going back to Madrid. Maybe PSG (depedning on what happens with Mbappe and Messi) or Inter Miami.

Juventus either go for one last attempt at a CL with ronaldo next season or try to sell him this summer (not sure how much a 36yr old would fetch in transfer fee in a covid market).

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I hope we can buy back CR7 on a free this summer for 1 year. He will be Cavani's replacement and invaluable in teaching temperament to Rashford, Greenwood, Sancho(!) and, maybe, Haaland.
How would we buy him on a free?

dinostar77

Not a chance. Utd wouldnt be that stupid. We're trying to get Pogba to sign a new deal and Bruno to extend. Yeh lets bring in Ronaldo on over £500,000 a week and watch the wage structure crumble. Both of those players would want close to Ronaldo wages.

Similar issue to what City have with KDB. Not signing an extension until he sees who City sign this summer. In case they get Messi then KDB can ask for much higher wages than city are offering at moment.

Bole Top

looks like he needs world cup and Ballon d'Or winning midfielders more than his fanboys wanted to admit, even to beat the likes of Lyon and Porto.

siiiuuuu next year :drool:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Part of me thinks Ronaldo and Messi may as well stay at their respective clubs. In their personal interest it's best to go to a club which can immediately be a big contender for the CL like PSG or Bayern. But for these other clubs it's a huge risk to destroy the wage structure and have such a large outlay on a player that is possibly one year or injury away from a steep decline at the highest level. Then there's the work rate issue although it's offset by their end product.

On Ronaldo vs Porto, as I've said before a team wins and loses titles, and those who pretend individuals do, completely miss the whole point that a lot of things come together to win big trophies or fail to do so. Hence, pinning this on Ronaldo is silly. But of course if he did nothing in the game, that will be analysed given he's such a top player. I think every top players need their team's support to shine, even moreso at post 32/33 where they need to carry you a little to produce your best while of course there is a minimum bottom level one should produce beneath which criticism is warranted. No idea if Ronaldo produced that vs Porto but that almost nothing of an assist definitely isn't evidence of him having met that level. Regardless, the team/club lost and the team/club has to find a solution. The whole THIS individual will win us the prize is silly. Get your basics right and build a strong collective first.

Ladron de redcafe

looks like he needs world cup and Ballon d'Or winning midfielders more than his fanboys wanted to admit, even to beat the likes of Lyon and Porto.

siiiuuuu next year :drool:
You need a genuinely great squad to win top trophies. One player cannot do everything by himself. Modric, Kroos, Ramos, and Bale deserved a lot more credit than Ronaldo's fans gave them when Madrid were winning, and Ronaldo deserves a lot less criticism for Juventus' overall relative struggles (compared to past years) the past 36 months than his detractors want to give him.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
while it is true he was horrible yesterday, but what's up with everytime Messi/CR7 lose a match, people bumping their threads and calling them finished/waste of money:lol:
The Messi thread tonight will be epic

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
The Messi thread tonight will be epic
Innit :lol: it’s getting ridiculous now, honestly I want them both to do really well, I’m actually gutted they’re both going out at the last 16, feels like an end of an era.

SwedishFish

Well there’s no single player you can bought to guarantee CL trophy throughout history of mankind, not even peak Maradona or Messi or L.Ronaldo can do it, why expected on 36 year old Ronaldo to do it for Juventus? It’s unrealistic expectation. I mean, do anyone really expect Juventus to win CL? There obviously lots of other issues in their team which need to ge fixed. Speaking of that, they surely spent a lot on Ronaldo, but there is surely benefits on commercial side.

Trophy wise they didn’t do better than expected, it’s a disappointment. Overall speaking Ronaldo has scored 92 goals in 121 games for them, I am sure no one does better for them in terms of goals per game throughout their long history, so I think he has done good enough for his price tag. Just that, they bought him to play for them at age 34-36, they should have know he isn’t superhuman anymore, can’t really expect more from him.

If we buy Messi next summer, should we expect to win CL too? If not, then any clubs who wants to buy Messi (with mega wages) would be destined to failure
That's expectation when you pay huge sums of money for a player. Why do you think Tuchel was sacked from PSG?

And yes, plenty of people who supported Juventus thought this would be the icing on the cake to bring them European glory. They had been really close for a number of years but, as we all know, things have gone the other way for them. You say they have plenty of issues that are clear for everyone to see but it wasn't as clear in 2018 when Ronaldo had just come of winning the Champions League having knocked out Juventus in spectacular style.

I realize that you are a fanboy of Ronaldo and like I said before, this isn't a critique of Ronaldo the player(mainly) its a critique of the situation Juventus put themselves in. I have no doubts that Ronaldo could be useful in another team.

However, stats are not saying everything here. He was brought in specifically to give them an advantage in Europe and if you look at this year's ties between Juventus and Porto, Ronaldo just didn't step up like we're used to see him do. Instead he was nowhere to be found. For a star player you'd expect a bit more than that over two legs. I don't think Juventus fans will agree with you on him doing good enough for his price tag. He came with an expectation that the team would elevate itself and it hasn't. That's the bottom line.

And your Messi + Success equation only works if the team is in a realistic position to elevate themselves to Champions League glory, United are not there yet. If Manchester City would get Messi however then yes it'd be fair to say that it's a failure on their part if they don't win it. I don't really see what's so controversial about this?

Ladron de redcafe

That's expectation when you pay huge sums of money for a player. Why do you think Tuchel was sacked from PSG?

And yes, plenty of people who supported Juventus thought this would be the icing on the cake to bring them European glory. They had been really close for a number of years but, as we all know, things have gone the other way for them. You say they have plenty of issues that are clear for everyone to see but it wasn't as clear in 2018 when Ronaldo had just come of winning the Champions League having knocked out Juventus in spectacular style.

I realize that you are a fanboy of Ronaldo and like I said before, this isn't a critique of Ronaldo the player(mainly) its a critique of the situation Juventus put themselves in. I have no doubts that Ronaldo could be useful in another team.

However, stats are not saying everything here. He was brought in specifically to give them an advantage in Europe and if you look at this year's ties between Juventus and Porto, Ronaldo just didn't step up like we're used to see him do. Instead he was nowhere to be found. For a star player you'd expect a bit more than that over two legs. I don't think Juventus fans will agree with you on him doing good enough for his price tag. He came with an expectation that the team would elevate itself and it hasn't. That's the bottom line.

And your Messi + Success equation only works if the team is in a realistic position to elevate themselves to Champions League glory, United are not there yet. If Manchester City would get Messi however then yes it'd be fair to say that it's a failure on their part if they don't win it. I don't really see what's so controversial about this?
Yeah good post. That Messi joining United comparison was odd. Ronaldo had joined a team that had just reached 2 Champions League titles in 4 years, and done 4 consecutive domestic doubles in a row. Juventus immediately regressed both in Europe, and domestically. The expectation there was that a top player like Ronaldo could catapult them from perennial contenders to the trophy itself.

Messi joining a United team that hasn't won its domestic league or cup in 8 years + and hasn't challenged in Europe for a decade would be an entirely different proposition.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Personally I dont' feel whatever Ronaldo does at this point is very important to his legacy. He sealed his legacy a long time ago. I course I don't doubt he'll chase down some goal scoring records and add something to his trophy cabinet, but overall he's cemented his position as one of the best ever several years ago. At 36 most great players have already retired.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
June 2022 when his contract expires. Alledgedly £550,000 a week in wages. Can't see him going back to Madrid. Maybe PSG (depedning on what happens with Mbappe and Messi) or Inter Miami.

Juventus either go for one last attempt at a CL with ronaldo next season or try to sell him this summer (not sure how much a 36yr old would fetch in transfer fee in a covid market).
Think that’s £550k net, after tax as well, isn’t it?

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
He's still bagged himself a nice amount of goals and some much needed league titles.
I am not blaming Ronaldo. But Juve thought Ronaldo would get them a CL or at least close to it. They spent insane money on him and regressed as a team. A shit business model.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Regardless of that congratulations to Porto, no matter how cnuts they are, how terrible Conceição, Pepe
How dare you. Pepe is beautiful. I'm still pissed we let him go :mad:

Yesterday was Sergio vs Ajax level of performance, too. Unbelievable, single-handedly kept Porto in the tie

Btw, people saying stuff like Cristiano has declined, he's not what he was in madrid really haven't watched him at all over the last 6 years or so

Gehrman

I am not blaming Ronaldo. But Juve thought Ronaldo would get them a CL or at least close to it. They spent insane money on him and regressed as a team. A shit business model.
I agree.

Fracture90

How does this help your opinion. He went to a significantly worse team. He essentially shot himself in the leg before the race started. This Barca team is miles on miles better then this Juve team and they are on the same situation.

There is no better or bigger Champions league player in the entire history of the CL then Cristiano Ronaldo and that’s not even a debate.
Mate that Barca team is hardly better at all than this Juventus team.

cyberman

Theyve spent 500m since 18/19. Theyve gone all in and failed.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Today for the first time in many years I am not going to be soft on him. Enough with blaming every Juventus manager for the poor performances in the Champions League.

First it was Allegri’s fault because he was pragmatic, then it was Sarri who was awful, to be replaced by a rookie who is a legend as a player for Italy.

Ffs, he should have been subbed off at half-time, he was rested against Lazio to deliver one of his most pathetic performances I have ever seen.

He was so bad during 210 minutes that beside Pepe, fecking Mbemba and Manafa won almost every duel against him, he cannot dribble, he stays static in the middle of the area expecting 500 hundred Chiesa or Cuadrado crosses, I guess Pepe couldn’t predict that was the plan.

And if this is the type of shit we will have to take from him in the NT, better for him to accept he isn’t the “player”anymore. He is one amongst many, and if Santos doesn’t understand it they can both leave.

The best thing he can do now is to be a bit humble for the first time on his life and at least apologise to Juventus fans.

Regardless of that congratulations to Porto, no matter how cnuts they are, how terrible Conceição, Pepe or Sergio Oliveira are, I have to admit even when they don’t have money they are by far the best football club in Portugal at least from the last 25 years, if not more.

And I will not answer to Ronaldo fanboys this time, fed up of excuses.
:lol: how you dare? The SIS will make you disappear

Seto007

Ronaldo's contract with Juventus expires next year in 2022. I think Ronaldo should stay at Juventus until after the World Cup next year. And afterwards leave Juventus on a free transfer once his contract expires and retire from Portugal national team in order to join MLS and Inter Miami. He could turn the clock back 10 years in the MLS and grow his brand. If he's allowed in the USA as I believe he was accused of rape.

he's finished at elite level.. he should retire or go to the MLS.

Gehrman

Easily, even Martino's Barca looked better than this, despite facing a stronger opposition.
Yeah I am not really sure when I can remember Barcelona last being this crap. If Messi isn't on form they bang average all over the pitch.

MalcolmTucker

That just shows how shit these players are in that squad but most importantly how shit the coaches were.

Somehow someway they managed to get a worse coach then sarri. I don’t even know how That’s possible
Nice that you understand it's a team game now.

Don't remember you having such a nuanced view when Messi was 'choking' in CL under Valverde/Setien. It was always Messi is mentally weak and lacks leadership while his team went out to the eventual winners. Ronaldo goes out to Ajax, Lyon and 10 man Porto, what happened to this intangible 'goat mentality' that Ronaldo possesses over Messi? Almost as if football is played between 22 players with almost infinite variables at play that can affect the eventual result.

Gehrman

Don't remember you having such a nuanced view when Messi was 'choking' in CL under Valverde/Setien. It was always Messi is mentally weak and lacks leadership while his team went out to the eventual winners. Ronaldo goes out to Ajax, Lyon and 10 man Porto, what happened to this intangible 'goat mentality' that Ronaldo possesses over Messi? Almost as if football is played between 22 players with almost infinite variables at play that can affect the eventual result.
I really wish people could understand this nuance soooner.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager

I am glad someone called him out on it.

Last edited:

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Hopefully messi doesnt stay at Barcelona now that he has a new worker for him on the board. I'd love to see him at City and see how he plays against tough defences from Burnley to Liverpool's pre injury defences. When you see Kounde running through the opposition defence it says alot about the La Liga defences just as much as the ability to attack. :drool:

Just know it wont happen though because he is settled in spain where the ball is mostly on the ground 95% of the time than on the air.

He is still the 2nd best player of all time.

Losing 4-4 to porto highlights Juventus attacking ability aswell as defensive inability.

Likewise losing to Bayern Munich 8-2 highlights Barcelona's lack of defensive ability as well as questionable attacking ability post Luis Enrique tenures.

Anyway I'm just trying to be a lil cheeky against the Messi fans in the Ronaldo thread. Hopefully I dont wind you up. Much love :angel:
this is the weakest epl since 2016, Lyon shredded city’s defense last year and Atletico Madrid are one of the best defensive sides in all of Europe.

Having said that, you’re a good man, I’m sorry what happened to your hero yesterday but he needs to get the hell out of Juventus as he’s wasting time there. He still has another CL in him if he can go to a team that is run competently

cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.