Cristiano Ronaldo : The Juventus Chapter | Fin

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedCurry

I don't know about China but Ronaldo is definitely more popular in India than Jordan. Beckham is on a different level though.
Ronaldo just got lucky that he’s named Ronaldo. He borrowed much of his fame from Brazilian Ronaldo in many places where people don’t actially watch football.

MJJ

Ronaldo just got lucky that he’s named Ronaldo. He borrowed much of his fame from Brazilian Ronaldo in many places where people don’t actially watch football.
That curry has gone to your head, :lol:

Does he relegate Dybala to the bench?

Cheeky bid? They might need some euros now that Ronaldo is bringing home two trillion a week there.
They can play well together.

Needham

I've reread that second sentence about 8 times and still can't work it out. You mean Christiano Ronaldo the footballer appeals to people in countries where they don't actually watch football because he shares the same name as a footballer they also never watched?

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Ronaldo is declining as well, he only plays well 3 months out of the year now
No, he plays great for 6 months and 3 months where he’s clearly better than anyone else on the planet. Which is why the months where you say he’s playing badly are when he’s still pretty much scoring one goal per game and being his team’s best player.

I think it's a really smart move from Ronaldo. Juve are a proper elite team that's only tended to be beaten to the CL in recent years by teams that have Ronaldo and Messi and are generally a tad better. He moves to a league where Juve are the dominant force and he can possibly ease up a little which also works given winning Serie A wouldnt be a big achievement in his favour anyway. That leaves plenty in the tank for the CL which it appears is in Juve's near future. You often see teams fail a few times or come close to winning a trophy before finally winning it. Juve seem at that sort of juncture in their journey. And in football terms he suits them too. They have good wide players, a great hole player and are strong in most areas.
Great, so nothing he does will actually be a big achievement since Juve were 100% going to do it anyway... despite them winning the league by small margins in the past 2 years and not winning the CL by scrapping past the likes of Tottenham.

In 2015 they were the team of Pirlo, Vidal and Pogba when they got to the CL final. In 2016 they got knocked out in the round of 16, in 2017 they got to the final, knocked Barcelona out which these days isn’t that big of an accomplishment and then Monaco in the semis in what was a fairly easy draw, in 2018 they went out in the quarters.

How long until Juve has a better squad than Madrid and suddenly the likes of Isco and Kroos start getting judged on their actual performances? It’s evolving, he’s getting his achievements downplayed before they even happen. I bet by the end of next season Madrid having the best midfield in the world will suddenly not be true anymore and the likes of De Sciglio, Emre Can and Douglas Costa will be better than Carvajal, Casemiro and Bale now that these guys don’t have Ronaldo to hide behind. What’s funny is that the same people already talking down whatever he accomplishes in Italy were the same people downplaying everything he did because he was playing in the perfect environment for him in Madrid... he changed environment and the goalposts moved.

RedCurry

That curry has gone to your head, :lol:
:lol: I had definitely had a few drinks when I posted that.

I've reread that second sentence about 8 times and still can't work it out. You mean Christiano Ronaldo the footballer appeals to people in countries where they don't actually watch football because he shares the same name as a footballer they also never watched?
The name Ronaldo has been a household name for many many years. People have been hearing about how great ‘Ronaldo’ is since the 90s. I had to even explain to my dad that they are different players.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
No, he plays great for 6 months and 3 months where he’s clearly better than anyone else on the planet. Which is why the months where you say he’s playing badly are when he’s still pretty much scoring one goal per game and being his team’s best player.

Great, so nothing he does will actually be a big achievement since Juve were 100% going to do it anyway... despite them winning the league by small margins in the past 2 years and not winning the CL by scrapping past the likes of Tottenham.

In 2015 they were the team of Pirlo, Vidal and Pogba when they got to the CL final. In 2016 they got knocked out in the round of 16, in 2017 they got to the final, knocked Barcelona out which these days isn’t that big of an accomplishment and then Monaco in the semis in what was a fairly easy draw, in 2018 they went out in the quarters.

How long until Juve has a better squad than Madrid and suddenly the likes of Isco and Kroos start getting judged on their actual performances? It’s evolving, he’s getting his achievements downplayed before they even happen. I bet by the end of next season Madrid having the best midfield in the world will suddenly not be true anymore and the likes of De Sciglio, Emre Can and Douglas Costa will be better than Carvajal, Casemiro and Bale now that these guys don’t have Ronaldo to hide behind. What’s funny is that the same people already talking down whatever he accomplishes in Italy were the same people downplaying everything he did because he was playing in the perfect environment for him in Madrid... he changed environment and the goalposts moved.
It’s CL or bust for a Juve that’s it. Adding Ronaldo should give them a much bigger leg up to retain the league, it doesn’t move the needle at all. The same applies to Barcelona.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

This is a very disingenuous argument and I think you've taken people downplaying Ronaldo and gone to the opposite extreme.

Juve have won what, the last 8 league titles in a row? They've reached 2 of the past 4 CL finals and were knocked out by Real (the winner) in one of the other 2 seasons.

They're not some small team on the European stage, only Real and Barcelona have done better than them in Europe in the past 4 years and there's been no other team as dominant in their league recently other than Bayern.

Doesn't mean Ronaldo won't kick them up a level, he clearly will but let's not downplay Juventus either.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
This is a very disingenuous argument and I think you've taken people downplaying Ronaldo and gone to the opposite extreme.

Juve have won what, the last 8 league titles in a row? They've reached 2 of the past 4 CL finals and were knocked out by Real (the winner) in one of the other 2 seasons.

They're not some small team on the European stage, only Real and Barcelona have done better than them in Europe in the past 4 years and there's been no other team as dominant in their league recently other than Bayern.

Doesn't mean Ronaldo won't kick them up a level, he clearly will but let's not downplay Juventus either.
My point is that before getting Ronaldo they’d have been weaker than in any of the past 4 years. Even with Ronaldo I’d argue they’re not as good as in 2014/15 with Pirlo, Vidal and Pogba in midfield. They’re not the same team as they were then, at all. People say Ronaldo’s joining a team that made the CL final twice in the past 4 years when the team was completely different 3 years ago than it is now. Even then, in the past 4 years they have clearly overachieved. They might have been the third best team in Europe results wise but they have not been the third best team in Europe and they most definitely aren’t the third best team in Europe now.

Juve are clear favourites to win the league but if they hadn’t signed Ronaldo everyone would be giving Napoli, Inter and Roma a very good chance of ending the streak since the gap has clearly been closing and these clubs have done pretty well in the transfer market. In the CL there are quite a few teams who have a better squad. Their goal is the CL which is a very tough competition to win meaning it’s much more likely to not happen than otherwise, if there’s 0 credit attached to how they do domestically then this is going to end up as a big failure.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
So if someone showed you a picture of Michael Jordan, you wouldn't know him?
I wouldn't, but i've heard the name.
I think i saw that cringey movie with him and bugs bunny, or something like that, maaaany years ago, but i still don't remember his face.

RoyH1

I think Juventus starts as favorite for the CL now. They've lost to Madrid the last 2 seasons and now have gotten their best players I think their massive investment in him is a reflection of that.

Minkaro

I wouldn't, but i've heard the name.
I think i saw that cringey movie with him and bugs bunny, or something like that, maaaany years ago, but i still don't remember his face.
Space Jam is a classic of modern cinema you philistine :mad:

Anyway, Ronaldo. I agree that Juventus have to win the CL while he’s there to make it worthwhile. They were already winning Serie A anyway.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
It’s CL or bust
Or, you know, they can win the league and have another very good season.

Neymar and Mbappe at PSG won’t be a bust even if they don’t win the CL, Lewandowski wasn’t a bust at Bayern. It may not have seemed so in the past few years but winning the CL is very hard. Putting that kind of pressure on a player has never happened before.

This season Juve will need to adapt and their squad still has problems, midfield isn’t as good as the european elite, Scszesny is unproven at that level and Cancelo/De Sciglio are simply not good enough. I expect them to be more prepared next season, Ronaldo’s challenge will be keeping his level for as long as possible so they have enough time to shape the squad and get as many chances in the CL as possible with this core of players.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Yep. Waste of space. Saves all of his best performances for the biggest matches in the most pressure filled, tight games of the season.
He had one bad run of form before Xmas and now he only turns up 3 months of the year.

Insane, and it makes perfect sense to have your best player peak when the going gets tough.

Last edited:

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
He had on bad run of form before Xmas and now he only turns up 3 months of the year.

Insane, and it makes perfect sense to have your best player peak when the going gets tough.
It's literally the remit that's given to all health, fitness and conditioning coaches by the manager at the start of the season.

The guy manages his fitness like no other player I've ever known. He must have a ridiculous level of self discipline. We've all heard the stories but to manage his fitness to peak for that end of season run in, routinely... It's a hell of a thing.

He's the only example of a human being where his Narcissism is somehow a virtue.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He and Dybala have been inseparable in training sessions. If they connect on the field it will be curtains for anyone in the CL.
Side note: His definition is like nothing I've seen in a footballer. He will literally play till he's 40.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Am I right in thinking that Juve had put a deal in for him around the time we played Sporting in "that" friendly? A few days later, he was a Utd player.

Has there ever been a transfer longer in the making? Just the 16 years! Looking forward to seeing him this season.

Shaun Oldman

It's literally the remit that's given to all health, fitness and conditioning coaches by the manager at the start of the season.

The guy manages his fitness like no other player I've ever known. He must have a ridiculous level of self discipline. We've all heard the stories but to manage his fitness to peak for that end of season run in, routinely... It's a hell of a thing.

He's the only example of a human being where his Narcissism is somehow a virtue.

Probably explains why Barca destroyed them in the league.

MuranoLover

Don't wanna imagine the days without him and Messi .

Football will not be the same .

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
He and Dybala have been inseparable in training sessions. If they connect on the field it will be curtains for anyone in the CL.
Side note: His definition is like nothing I've seen in a footballer. He will literally play till he's 40.
He's obviously in phenomenal shape, but there are other examples of this. It takes some beating to be better conditioned that Clarence Seedorf. That man is as close to a cyborg as I think you'll get. This is him at 40. fecking 40...

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Could indeed become an absolutely lethal partnership.

RedorDead21

Not getting him for 100m will go down as another major strategic mistake on our part ala Pep not replacing SAF.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Yep. Waste of space. Saves all of his best performances for the biggest matches in the most pressure filled, tight games of the season.
Yeah he was so good in the semi finals and final of CL last season along with the 2014 and 2016 final. :rolleyes:

He’s a great player but he’s had plenty of crap games in big moments as well.

zlatan_ish

juventino
Supports
La Vecchia Signora
Or, you know, they can win the league and have another very good season.

Neymar and Mbappe at PSG won’t be a bust even if they don’t win the CL, Lewandowski wasn’t a bust at Bayern. It may not have seemed so in the past few years but winning the CL is very hard. Putting that kind of pressure on a player has never happened before.

This season Juve will need to adapt and their squad still has problems, midfield isn’t as good as the european elite, Scszesny is unproven at that level and Cancelo/De Sciglio are simply not good enough. I expect them to be more prepared next season, Ronaldo’s challenge will be keeping his level for as long as possible so they have enough time to shape the squad and get as many chances in the CL as possible with this core of players.
Sensible post in a cesspool of cringey one liner posts in here...

zlatan_ish

juventino
Supports
La Vecchia Signora
Am I right in thinking that Juve had put a deal in for him around the time we played Sporting in "that" friendly? A few days later, he was a Utd player.

Has there ever been a transfer longer in the making? Just the 16 years! Looking forward to seeing him this season.
Yes, we had agreement with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.