Cristiano Ronaldo : The Juventus Chapter | Fin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Seems to me he adjusted his playing style a little bit and is now closer to the first half of his career. Participates more, dribbles more, generally more involved. Nice to see.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Seems to me he adjusted his playing style a little bit and is now closer to the first half of his career. Participates more, dribbles more, generally more involved. Nice to see.
He played like he does for Portugal rather than how he played at Madrid but he shouldn’t need to. When Allegri fixes things up and they find the right balance that will stop happening.

I think it became pretty clear that although he can play as lone striker pretty well, he’s not a number 9. Only way I see it working properly is with Mandzukic playing with him.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
With Ronaldo it is always polemic

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He was not superb, Jesus Christ

He was like. 6-7/10 performance.
He was involved in the buildup play a lot and unlucky of not scoring with a few good shots. If one of them went in it will be a 8-9/10 performances.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
He was involved in the buildup play a lot and unlucky of not scoring with a few good shots. If one of them went in it will be a 8-9/10 performances.
But they didn’t go in, he was wasteful.

I’m not even trying to give him heat for it, it’s his first meaningful game with a new team.

It’s just flat out ridiculous for anyone to think that performance was even remotely close to anything superb, when in fact it was quite mediocre.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
GDS and CorSport(main two sports papers) both gave him a 6,5. So good, not great

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He was involved in a lot of the great attacks and Costa+Cuadruado let him down with their poor decision making/passing.

Ronaldo's crossing, 1-2's and passing was superb.

Go check r juventus fc if you don't believe me.
It was alright. Nothing superb about it. Juve fans raving about it is a bit like how we were giddy (and biased) after Falcao's first few games only with at least two years of top performances replacing Falcao's rubbish performances thereafter.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
First game for Juve, he’s the best player with a Juve shirt on the pitch and you have Barcelona fans who haven’t watched a Serie A game in over a decade calling it a mediocre performance despite there being a Chelsea vs Arsenal at the same time while Real Madrid fans openly admit to wanting him to fail without any shame...

:lol:

Jesus Christ, it’s going to be a long season.

Culero

First game for Juve, he’s the best player with a Juve shirt on the pitch and you have Barcelona fans who haven’t watched a Serie A game in over a decade calling it a mediocre performance despite there being a Chelsea vs Arsenal at the same time while Real Madrid fans openly admit to wanting him to fail without any shame...

All he said he wasn't superb, or do you think he was? I know you feel the need to defend your countryman at every turn but chill.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons

Yeah, we should all trust yours and Ronaldo's mum's objective opinions on his performance.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
All he said he wasn't superb, or do you think he was? I know you feel the need to defend your countryman at every turn but chill.
Yes, all he did was say he wasn’t superb. No mention at all of it being a mediocre performance despite it being word for word what was written.

I’m chilled :lol: Just found it funny how offended people were at that being called a superb performance while ignoring the guy that called it mediocre.

Mainly because of who those people were, it’s like the whole club showed up at once.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Yeah, we should all trust yours and Ronaldo's mum's objective opinions on his performance.
I guarantee you that the last 10 people that have written in this thread are a lot less objective than Ronaldo’s actual mum :lol:

You don’t actually disagree with my opinion about his performance since you didn’t even bother to reply to that. In fact, you don’t even seem to know what it was. I didn’t say it was a superb performance because it wasn’t, it was very good, especially for a debut and in tough circumstances but obviously not superb. Even so I think only the Chievo goalkeeper was any better in that game.

Last edited:

Nedved

It was a good debut in a very difficult game. Calling it mediocre or superb is ridiculous.

Dybala, Costa and Cuadrado also only had above average games.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
It was a good debut in a very difficult game. Calling it mediocre or superb is ridiculous.

Dybala, Costa and Cuadrado also only had above average games.
Dybala and Cuadrado were below average imo. It’s obvious that there is a lot more potential to that attack than what they’ve showed and yet Juve still had loads of chances.

Allegri needs to find the right balance, it’s going to take some time until everything clicks.

Culero

Yes, all he did was say he wasn’t superb. No mention at all of it being a mediocre performance despite it being word for word what was written.

I’m chilled :lol: Just found it funny how offended people were at that being called a superb performance while ignoring the guy that called it mediocre.

Mainly because of who those people were, it’s like the whole club showed up at once.
I didn't watch it myself so cannot comment am afraid, I take it he was in between mediocre and superb, i.e. decent?

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
I didn't watch it myself so cannot comment am afraid, I take it he was in between mediocre and superb, i.e. decent?
Calling it decent would be harsh, he was Juve’s best player and by far their biggest attacking threat.

I posted a video above with his touches which should give you some idea of how the game went. You can judge it for yourself, doing it by reading online comments will not lead to great conclusions.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
As a Juve fan watching it I'd say he was good and didn't do a lot wrong

7/10 I would say he deserved as he was quite active throughout the game and didn't do one of his disappearing acts like he normally does for Madrid over a whole match

Culero

Calling it decent would be harsh, he was Juve’s best player and by far their biggest attacking threat.

I posted a video above with his touches which should give you some idea of how the game went. You can judge it for yourself, doing it by reading online comments will not lead to great conclusions.
Video got taken down but I take your word for it.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
As a Juve fan watching it I'd say he was good and didn't do a lot wrong

7/10 I would say he deserved as he was quite active throughout the game and didn't do one of his disappearing acts like he normally does for Madrid over a whole match
He shouldn’t need to be as active as he was though, that’s the point. As soon as Allegri figures out how the attack should set up Ronaldo is going to play like he did for Madrid rather than how he usually does for Portugal or how he did in the Chievo game.

Front 4 should be Dybala, Costa, Ronaldo and Mandzukic with these last two changing positions between striker and left wing. Crosses into the box with Mandzukic and Ronaldo there will be a nightmare to any team. The only problem with that front 4 is that Cancelo is a defensive liability and that way he gets no help from Cuadrado. I really think Juve fecked up by going for Cancelo and missing out on a more solid rightback like Vrsaljko.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Chievo-Juventus votes, (Gazzetta, Corriere. sv=no vote)

Chievo: Sorrentino (7), Seculin (sv), Bani (5), Cacciatore (6,5 dalla Gazza e 6 dal Corriere), Rossettini (6), Tomovic (6 e 5,5), Depaoli (6 e 5,5), Giaccherini (7 e 8), Hetemaj (6 e 5,5), Obi (sv e 5,5), Radovanovic (6), Rigoni (5,5), Djordjevic (5,5), Stepinski (6,5 e 7).

Juventus: Szczesny (6), Alex Sandro (7), Bonucci (6 e 5,5), Cancelo (5,5 e 5), Chiellini (6,5 e 6), Bernardeschi (7), Can (sv e 6), Cuadrado (6 e 5), Douglas (6 e 5,5), Khedira (6), Pjanic (6,5 e 7), Dybala (5 e 5,5), Mandzukic (6,5), Ronaldo (6,5).

Dybala insufficient for both, Cuadrado good for GDS and bad for CorSport, Douglas good for GDS and mediocre for CorSport, Cristiano very good for both. Giaccherini great for GDS and fantastic for CorSport

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
A 6.5 is far from superb, closer to just average/mediocre.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Chievo-Juventus votes, (Gazzetta, Corriere. sv=no vote)

Chievo: Sorrentino (7), Seculin (sv), Bani (5), Cacciatore (6,5 dalla Gazza e 6 dal Corriere), Rossettini (6), Tomovic (6 e 5,5), Depaoli (6 e 5,5), Giaccherini (7 e 8), Hetemaj (6 e 5,5), Obi (sv e 5,5), Radovanovic (6), Rigoni (5,5), Djordjevic (5,5), Stepinski (6,5 e 7).

Juventus: Szczesny (6), Alex Sandro (7), Bonucci (6 e 5,5), Cancelo (5,5 e 5), Chiellini (6,5 e 6), Bernardeschi (7), Can (sv e 6), Cuadrado (6 e 5), Douglas (6 e 5,5), Khedira (6), Pjanic (6,5 e 7), Dybala (5 e 5,5), Mandzukic (6,5), Ronaldo (6,5).

Dybala insufficient for both, Cuadrado good for GDS and bad for CorSport, Douglas good for GDS and mediocre for CorSport, Cristiano very good for both. Giaccherini great for GDS and fantastic for CorSport
What do you have to do to go above 7? :lol:

Those are some tough ratings, Sorrentino made a bunch of great saves, none of the goals were his fault and he still gets just a 7. Has anyone ever gotten a 10?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
What do you have to do to go above 7? :lol:

Those are some tough ratings, Sorrentino made a bunch of great saves, none of the goals were his fault and he still gets just a 7. Has anyone ever gotten a 10?
Standard ratings in Italy. 90% of total votes will generally fall between 5 and 7. For GdS the range is usually 4-8, it would take the kind of performance everybody will remember for ages to break outside that(in good or bad). CorSport are a bit more lax in that regard, but still. I think both papers combined for something like 6-7 (10) EVER

To expand on that: those votes are used for fantasy football. Hence why they're so standardized. International competitions or CL are different, they're more lax with those votes.

As far as the league goes, GDS gave a 10 twice in their history - and the first time it was because the player in question saved the life of another player on the pitch, the second was in a playoff for the UEFA Cup, meaning irrelevant to fantasy football

Last edited:

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
Dybala and Cuadrado were below average imo. It’s obvious that there is a lot more potential to that attack than what they’ve showed and yet Juve still had loads of chances.

Allegri needs to find the right balance, it’s going to take some time until everything clicks.
Juventus attack was slow, soon they had the ball they took forever nothing like Real with their quick attack and they always gave time for chievo to defend with basically all the players, couldn’t watch the entire game and switched to arsenal’s game.

JuveGER

Supports
Juventus
To follow up on giorno's post, here is a little article who puts the GdS ratings into context. It's a bit dated, but the message hasn't changed. As at date of the article, Totti had the highest average career rating at 6.45 points. The highest average in a season was Platini's 6.94.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
To follow up on giorno's post, here is a little article who puts the GdS ratings into context. It's a bit dated, but the message hasn't changed. As at date of the article, Totti had the highest average career rating at 6.45 points. The highest average in a season was Platini's 6.94.
Very interesting, thanks.

Hopefully @Daysleeper doesn’t conclude the likes of Totti, Baggio or Maradona were average/mediocre ;)

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP

May 24, 2009 - last home match before signing Ronaldo

Yesterday - first home match after selling Ronaldo

I’m guessing playing against Getafe at 10 pm in August played a part in that but still... :lol:

Culero

May 24, 2009 - last home match before signing Ronaldo

Yesterday - first home match after selling Ronaldo

I’m guessing playing against Getafe at 10 pm in August played a part in that but still... :lol:
Ronaldo effect deffo in play but I also noticed attendance for the Barca game was also crap, are people still on holidays in Spain?

Status
Not open for further replies.