Cristiano Ronaldo : The Juventus Chapter | Fin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nedved

How does this help your opinion. He went to a significantly worse team. He essentially shot himself in the leg before the race started. This Barca team is miles on miles better then this Juve team and they are on the same situation.

There is no better or bigger Champions league player in the entire history of the CL then Cristiano Ronaldo and that’s not even a debate.
Nah, Barca and Juve are equally poor right now. Don't forget Juve qualified to the knockouts ahead of Barca in the group stages. Says more about that group than anything.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
I hope we can buy back CR7 on a free this summer for 1 year. He will be Cavani's replacement and invaluable in teaching temperament to Rashford, Greenwood, Sancho(!) and, maybe, Haaland.
Not a hope. We had Ronaldo. He's been gone over 10 years. It's time for a new star to emerge not sentimentality.
Ronaldo would set us back at this stage.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Nice that you understand it's a team game now.

Don't remember you having such a nuanced view when Messi was 'choking' in CL under Valverde/Setien. It was always Messi is mentally weak and lacks leadership while his team went out to the eventual winners. Ronaldo goes out to Ajax, Lyon and 10 man Porto, what happened to this intangible 'goat mentality' that Ronaldo possesses over Messi? Almost as if football is played between 22 players with almost infinite variables at play that can affect the eventual result.
Don’t waste your energy on him. There is a reason I have him on ignore.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Don’t waste your energy on him. There is a reason I have him on ignore.
While I generally agree, right now is probably the best time to not have him on ignore :D It's just beautiful to see all those double standards being exposed. Maybe, just maybe the people pointing out football is a team game were right all the time.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
How dare you. Pepe is beautiful. I'm still pissed we let him go :mad:

Yesterday was Sergio vs Ajax level of performance, too. Unbelievable, single-handedly kept Porto in the tie

Btw, people saying stuff like Cristiano has declined, he's not what he was in madrid really haven't watched him at all over the last 6 years or so
He is worse now. First time for 210 minutes he couldn’t even beat Mbemba or Manafa. It wasn’t against Pepe, Lahm, Ashley Cole or Boateng. It was feckless Manafa and Mbemba. He is much much worse than he was, even if he changed the style over the years.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
:lol: how you dare? The SIS will make you disappear
He has to start being confronted instead blaming every Juventus manager for their performances, I will not even answer those who refuse to see what’s in front of them. No ifs or buts.

MrEleson

He has to start being confronted instead blaming every Juventus manager for their performances, I will not even answer those who refuse to see what’s in front of them. No ifs or buts.
So you wait for the time he’s down to write all this? I haven’t seen you comment anything in these threads for a while since you predicted his downfall in 2020. He’s carried Juve in every other CL tie they’ve played prior to this season so what exactly does he need to be confronted about even though, yes he was admittedly bad yesterday. But it was one game.

De Portago

Supports
Red Star
Hes getting paid 60 million big ones. He's just not worth it. It's not like we're him away from being relevant again either.
I'd be very surprised if his next contract is anywhere near that, unless he goes to Qatar/UAE.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
He is worse now. First time for 210 minutes he couldn’t even beat Mbemba or Manafa. It wasn’t against Pepe, Lahm, Ashley Cole or Boateng. It was feckless Manafa and Mbemba. He is much much worse than he was, even if he changed the style over the years.
He had ties like these in his last years for Madrid, too. But more often than not, he compensated it with a goal or two or a team mate took over responsibility from him.

I don't think he's as bad as you paint him to be to be honest. The primary issue is that people talked him up in unreal spheres after the three consecutive CL wins, completely ignoring the context, and sincerely believed he carried Madrid through those ties alone when in reality he was already past his best back then and profited from in form team mates and/or sheer luck in a few games. Still a world class goal scorer, not worse than somebody like, say, Benzema, Suarez or even Kane, though and those are very rare in the modern era. Considering his age he's still absolutely incredible.

I was very sceptical when Juve signed him and expected that the move could enroll like it did but now that we've learned of Messi's contract and how much he generates Barca I see things a bit differently. Wouldn't be surprised if Juve still profited economically from his signing.

I hope we can buy back CR7 on a free this summer for 1 year. He will be Cavani's replacement and invaluable in teaching temperament to Rashford, Greenwood, Sancho(!) and, maybe, Haaland.
does he teach an on-line temperament class?

love Ronaldo. Don’t get the criticism of him. He is however 36, he’s not coming back to United.

not only has that ship sailed, it’s fecking sank

romufc

Not a hope. We had Ronaldo. He's been gone over 10 years. It's time for a new star to emerge not sentimentality.
Ronaldo would set us back at this stage.
Agreed. We had a very good Ronaldo, the last thing we want is to bring sentiment into play and bring him back, its not how we want to build

We are building a team currently and no where would he fit into it. It would be a commercial signing rather than footballing.

Dante

Average bang
You can see what he was going for.

Ronaldo wanted to be the first ever player to win the league and CL for different clubs in England, Spain and Italy.

I get when people claim he'll regret leaving Real Madrid - but I'm not so sure. I think he's always had grander ambitions when it comes to setting global records and world firsts. Unfortunately, Juve simply haven't been good enough to match those ambitions.

Last edited:

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
So you wait for the time he’s down to write all this? I haven’t seen you comment anything in these threads for a while since you predicted his downfall in 2020. He’s carried Juve in every other CL tie they’ve played prior to this season so what exactly does he need to be confronted about even though, yes he was admittedly bad yesterday. But it was one game.
When did I predicted his downfall? By the way, every athlete has a downfall, why would he be different?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I disagree. Even in his last 3 seasons with us he couldn't dribble a traffic cone anymore. He's actually more involved in the game, and even rediscovered the dribbling a bit since moving there. So he had 2 poor games, so what. It happens. It's not like he's never had poor games in CL before, even in his prime

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
He's a 36 year old. What other team's 36 year old gets blamed for their team's performances in Europe?

He's on course for breaking into Juve's top 10 scorers of all time if I'm not mistaken this season. He's broken records and won trophies wherever he's gone.

I think some people need to temper their expectations.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
You can see what he was going for.

Ronaldo wanted to be the first every player to win the league and CL for different clubs in England, Spain and Italy.

I get what people say when they claim he'll regret leaving Real Madrid - but I'm not so sure. I think he's always had grander ambitions when it comes to setting global records and world firsts. Unfortunately, Juve simply haven't been good enough to match those ambitions.
no, he left for money, plain and simple. Madrid didn’t want to pay him what he felt he was worth so he left as Juve were filling to fork out the cash.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
no, he left for money, plain and simple. Madrid didn’t want to pay him what he felt he was worth so he left as Juve were filling to fork out the cash.
In an interview he said that it was not a question of money, since at Madrid earned the same or even more.
Maybe it was a mix of factors.

VanKenny

Nice that you understand it's a team game now.

Don't remember you having such a nuanced view when Messi was 'choking' in CL under Valverde/Setien. It was always Messi is mentally weak and lacks leadership while his team went out to the eventual winners. Ronaldo goes out to Ajax, Lyon and 10 man Porto, what happened to this intangible 'goat mentality' that Ronaldo possesses over Messi? Almost as if football is played between 22 players with almost infinite variables at play that can affect the eventual result.

Not only that, the times Messi was beaten and accused of being "coldblooded" or whatever, he was usually the best player of Barcelona at least. Like vs Liverpool, vs Bayern, etc.

Messi loses against France on the world cup (who end up being champions of the WC), and the narrative is that Messi cant play outside of Barcelona
Messi loses against Liverpool (who end up being champions), "Messi is finished, goes hiding when the team needs him".
Messi loses against Bayern (who end up being champions) "Messi hiding again"

Yet CR7 loses against Uruguay, nobody cares, even if Uruguay isnt really a contender for anything. Same for Ajax, Porto, etc.

CR7 is a top 5 of all time player IMO, but his performance yesterday its not any different than many other performances that he had on CL finals/semifinals with Real Madrid where his teammates ended up winning the trophy while he took the credit. Some of you think its his age, but i saw him playing like this on many big matches since the mid 2010's.

Pocho

Not only that, the times Messi was beaten and accused of being "coldblooded" or whatever, he was usually the best player of Barcelona at least. Like vs Liverpool, vs Bayern, etc.

Messi loses against France on the world cup (who end up being champions of the WC), and the narrative is that Messi cant play outside of Barcelona
Messi loses against Liverpool (who end up being champions), "Messi is finished, goes hiding when the team needs him".
Messi loses against Bayern (who end up being champions) "Messi hiding again"

Yet CR7 loses against Uruguay, nobody cares, even if Uruguay isnt really a contender for anything. Same for Ajax, Porto, etc.

CR7 is a top 5 of all time player IMO, but his performance yesterday its not any different than many other performances that he had on CL finals/semifinals with Real Madrid where his teammates ended up winning the trophy while he took the credit. Some of you think its his age, but i saw him playing like this on many big matches since the mid 2010's.
Great post

HerrLeinad

Supports
Bayern München
He's a 36 year old. What other team's 36 year old gets blamed for their team's performances in Europe?

He's on course for breaking into Juve's top 10 scorers of all time if I'm not mistaken this season. He's broken records and won trophies wherever he's gone.

I think some people need to temper their expectations.
And yet players like CR never temper their expectations when it comes to their wages. ;)

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I disagree. Even in his last 3 seasons with us he couldn't dribble a traffic cone anymore. He's actually more involved in the game, and even rediscovered the dribbling a bit since moving there. So he had 2 poor games, so what. It happens. It's not like he's never had poor games in CL before, even in his prime
Those 2 were much worse than before, way worse.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
You're joking right? Even the Juventuz members would laugh at this. He cant' dribble anymore and actually fecks up attacks because of how easily he gets dissposed when he tries to dribble past a player.
He's nothing more than a great poacher

Bobski

The obsession with stats, goats and ranking lists is cancerous. People, Messi and Ronaldo are very nearly finished, enjoy them while they are here, appreciate them, they have defined an era.

tomaldinho1

Yeah exactly. Ronaldo has never had a back line as piss poor as Messi has had in recent years
Barca are still decent enough - they are just nowhere near the elite level they were before. Juve are dross, I don't think they'd even get top four in the PL and that is saying something with how weak the PL has been this year.

Lee565

I think the last few seasons in the champions league knockout stages are telling of Ronaldo's decline as in the past in the same type of fixtures he would have a far more positive impact of single handedly dragging his sides through to the next round of the competition

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
You're joking right? Even the Juventuz members would laugh at this. He cant' dribble anymore and actually fecks up attacks because of how easily he gets dissposed when he tries to dribble past a player.
He's nothing more than a great poacher
No i'm not. He's dribbling more and better at juventus than he did in his last 3 seasons in madrid. Which is not to say he's a good dribbler now

Bobski

Great. The who has worse team mates discussion has begun :lol:
Football discourse around this issue is now pretty much at NBA forum nonsense level with a key element of the Jordan V Lebron debate is discrediting their teammates to make them look better. Or an entire era to downplay achievements. It is tedious in basketball, a sport were one player can make a huge individual impact on a teams fortunes, it is asinine in football.

trims

Supports
Arsenal
Has anyone noticed the botox he's been using recently?

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
If he wanted money he could go to China or USA. He's making more money off instagram than his Juve contract, given that he's the most famous athlete of all time.

Or maybe he could takes notes from Messi..convince and rob a club like Barcelona to give him a billion dollar contract.

Zen

China or USA wouldn't pay Messi and Ronaldo wages, not even close. They are both getting, in terms of complete package, monumental money, and those contracts probably, especially the image right stuff, massively require the exposure of CL football.

Not sure why people still don't seemingly realize Ronaldo is on basically the same structured contract as Messi. Is it just because it hasn't been leaked? But he was reported as being a billionaire BEFORE Messi was.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
If he wanted money he could go to China or USA. He's making more money off instagram than his Juve contract, given that he's the most famous athlete of all time.

Or maybe he could takes notes from Messi..convince and rob a club like Barcelona to give him a billion dollar contract.
dumb take, it was always about money, and Madrid didn’t offer him enough. If anything his decision stemmed from him not making as much as Messi and Neymar. Juventus was one of the few CL teams willing to meet his demands.

And at least Messi has been continuing Barca’s trend of having their best trophy period the last decade while Ronaldo took Juve to their lowest trophy count in a decade. Not sure who is really robbing who.

Pocho

Oh god

Status
Not open for further replies.