Cristiano Ronaldo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
He was poor last night, nothing went right for him. And he ended up blocking a shot from Bale that was going in.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
http://www.football365.com/news/21554/9108691/-I-Think-The-Opportunity-Has-Gone-Now-
Rio pushed for Ronaldo return

Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand admitted he tried to persuade Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo to return to Old Trafford last summer.

Ronaldo was linked with a move back to the club with whom he spent six years after signing from Sporting Lisbon for £12.24million in 2003 before moving to the Spanish giants for a world record £80million transfer.
But the Portuguese signed a new deal with Real in September last year to end any speculation over his future.
Ferdinand revealed he was in constant contact with his former team-mate beforehand, but admits United's best chance to re-sign Ronaldo has gone.
"He was one of the most dialled people on my phone at the time. As footballers you keep your cards close to your chest," said the former England international to the Sun.
"If he was going to leave Real Madrid, I think Manchester United would have been the place he would have come to. That's my view - but no one will ever know.
"I think the opportunity has gone now.
"If we could have done it, I think it would have been last summer. He's signed a new deal at Real now."

:(

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
It's a Portuguese trait, jumping.

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
Crazy jump, he's a ridiculous athlete. I wonder how he would look in the NBA from an athletic stand point.

Cantona'sCollar

Crazy jump, he's a ridiculous athlete. I wonder how he would look in the NBA from an athletic stand point.
They measured his standing jump on that Castrol documentary - he jumps higher than the average NBA player. He also beat Spain's 100m champion on a zig zag track (lost narrowly in a straight line). Ridiculous.

acnumber9

He was poor last night, nothing went right for him. And he ended up blocking a shot from Bale that was going in.
Wasn't much he could about that in fairness. Bale hit it straight at him with half the goal to aim at.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I read somewhere that jump was comparable to Jordan's famous free throw line dunk in terms of height, but can't find it anymore.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Perhaps this article, http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-Why-Real-Madrid-player-jump-higher-else.html, which puts Ronaldo's vertical around 32" (interestingly, I could jump about the same height during my high school days).

Another article http://www.topendsports.com/testing/results/vertical-jump.htm. If Ralph Sampson could really jump 36" at 7'4, he would be near impossible to defend. Shame injuries basically ruined his career.

Jordan had a vertical of 45-48" depending on which info from any search result you decide to use. The most common number I've heard is 47".

Guys like Kobe Bryant, Dominique Wilkins, Michael Finley, Vince Carter, and Spud Webb had/have high verticals as well. I had often heard David Thompson could out-jump anyone. A high school coach once told me Thompson could grab quarters off the top of the basketball goal (possible hyperbole).

Red Stone

Benzema gets Ronaldo's knee and boot in the back of the head in that video. Looks close to crashing into the goalpost too.

Tough few seconds for him.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Perhaps this article, http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-Why-Real-Madrid-player-jump-higher-else.html, which puts Ronaldo's vertical around 32" (interestingly, I could jump about the same height during my high school days).

Another article http://www.topendsports.com/testing/results/vertical-jump.htm. If Ralph Sampson could really jump 36" at 7'4, he would be near impossible to defend. Shame injuries basically ruined his career.

Jordan had a vertical of 45-48" depending on which info from any search result you decide to use. The most common number I've heard is 47".

Guys like Kobe Bryant, Dominique Wilkins, Michael Finley, Vince Carter, and Spud Webb had/have high verticals as well. I had often heard David Thompson could out-jump anyone. A high school coach once told me Thompson could grab quarters off the top of the basketball goal (possible hyperbole).
Probably not. They said the same about Earl Manigault, who was only 6'1, and almost certainly the best ever playground basketball player ever.

Ronaldo is a freak.

In saying that, what puts him where he is is not his physical abilities, in my opinion, but his mental ones.

I think the Jordan comparison is apt. When MJ first entered the NBA, people talked about how he could jump higher, or he had a quicker first step...and it was these physical traits that made him good. As his career unfolded, people eventually realised that it was his mindset/competitive nature that separated him.

I think the same is true of Ronaldo.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Dunno who made this but had to share after seeing it. This is what makes football worth watching.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
It's tragic how Real have managed to absolutely leap frog us since 2008. There subs would be nailed on starters here.

surf

Watched the Real Madrid game yesterday. Ronaldo missed a few that he would have scored on another day, and he had some bad luck, but anyone can see why he is still the main man and not Bale. Bale was totally anonymous and ended up being subbed. He was playing on the right. Ronnie can play both sides, but can Bale? I have no idea how Bale will fit in when Ronaldo is playing, which is nearly all the time.

Spoony

The People's President
How many times have you watched a game where the best player on the field ends up on the losing side? It happens.
In Ronaldo's case it happens a lot despite him playing for one of the best club sides in the world. And currently his club are third in La Liga a couple of places below a Messi-less Barca. World player of the year eh?

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
In Ronaldo's case it happens a lot despite him playing for one of the best club sides in the world. And currently his club are third in La Liga a couple of places below a Messi-less Barca. World player of the year eh?
Yep, as voted for by some of the most knowledgable people in football. Pretty much the same people that gave it to Messi, when he deserved it.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
Going by this theory, Giroud is twice the player Rooney is.

Aboutreika18

There's no doubt that Real's over-reliance on Ronnie has affected the team's success but then again, when was the last time Real were a proper team unit rather than a collection of talented individuals?

Similarly, Barca declined as a successful team as Messi scored more, became more of a poacher and other players in the side were rendered ineffective, as Skorenzy pointed out in a very good post a couple of weeks back.

Status
Not open for further replies.