Cristiano Ronaldo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raul Madrid

Funny you say this. Both Iniesta and Silva started in Spain's defeat against Switzerland in 2010. Del Bosque knew it wasn't working and he had to change things immediately. He decided that playing with both Silva and Iniesta was not working and was also too narrow, so instead of sacrificing an unfit and injured Iniesta who had missed a month of the season end due to injury, he actually sacrificed Silva. Silva didn't play again at all in that tournament apart from last 5 minutes against Germany in the semis. So as good as Silva is, Del Bosque didn't even replace an injured Iniesta by him, let alone an Iniesta in top form. You are criminally underrating Iniesta. There was a poll on Marca (yes Marca, a Madrid based paper) some weeks ago where they could choose their world cup squad and Iniesta got most of the votes despite having an average season for his standard.
I never said that silva is better than iniesta. I said that if hypothetically silva was in place of iniesta that barca and spain would have similar success. I don't think you should make such a big judgement over one or two matches. Over a whole season for barca and if silva was the main player always for spain I think both teams would be of a similar level but not as good. Xavi is on the decline now too so of course he will get more votes. The results of these polls would change from week to wek also.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I never said that silva is better than iniesta. I said that if hypothetically silva was in place of iniesta that barca and spain would have similar success. I don't think you should make such a big judgement over one or two matches. Over a whole season for barca and if silva was the main player always for spain I think both teams would be of a similar level but not as good. Xavi is on the decline now too so of course he will get more votes. The results of these polls would change from week to wek also.
It's hardly judging Iniesta over one or two games. I am a huge Silva fan, but I just don't think Silva would have been even close in replacing Iniesta in Barca's or Spain's success over the years. I have no problem with Xavi being considered better than Iniesta, in fact if I had to choose I wouldn't know who to choose, but Iniesta is not the lesser player, at least not much. They actually complement each other perfectly, Xavi needs Iniesta (almost) as much as Iniesta needs him imo.

Raul Madrid

It's hardly judging Iniesta over one or two games. I am a huge Silva fan, but I just don't think Silva would have been even close in replacing Iniesta in Barca's or Spain's success over the years. I have no problem with Xavi being considered better than Iniesta, in fact if I had to choose I wouldn't know who to choose, but Iniesta is not the lesser player, at least not much. They actually complement each other perfectly, Xavi needs Iniesta (almost) as much as Iniesta needs him imo.
I agree that iniesta is excellent. But barca showed in 09/10 that they can be very good without him featuring as much. They won the league setting at the time a point record without iniesta playing as much due to injuries and hammered arsenal and beat Madrid at the bernebeu with iniesta not starting either match. People will say they lost to inter that year but that match was close and could have gone either way. Chelsea could have beaten them a year earlier with more luck and a good referee.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Ronaldo has now won the domestic league title, European Cup, European Golden Boot and Balon D'Or with two different clubs.

No other player has ever achieved this feat.

Incredible footballer.

thejtrain

Funny how Ronaldo is now reduced to being compared to Iniesta from comparisons to Messi :lol: That's after a season he scores 17 goals in CL, almost single-handedly winning them the trophy. This place can sure be strange at times! Just what would he be if he listened to such weirdos on the internet? I hope for his sakes, he continues to wind people up with even more innovative ideas.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Has to be the kung-fu kick. I don't recall Eric doing much wrong beyond that. He's French and that might sometimes rub certain people the wrong way but a cnut of the higest order...for kicking a hooligan?
Didn't he purposely stamp on the opponents also? he's a dirty bastard on the field. There's a reason why Leeds sold him to us.

EDIT: It doesn't mean I don't love Le God.

Last edited:

MUFCpiffgawd

I like Ronaldo and all, but his behavior against Atletico was :eek: he did nothing all game. And scored a meaningless goal(penalty) after Atletico had already been beaten and acted like he decided the game.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
The difference with the likes of Cantona is that it wasn't contrived... what makes Ronaldo's celebration particularly cringeworthy is that it was pretty obvious is was planned and, mainly, to make sure Ronaldo ended up in all the pictures.....

Brandbuilding

He's still quite good at football mind.
I disagree. Even if he scored Madrid's equalizer, I don't think he'd have taken off his shirt and risking on getting a yellow card with some time left to play. Also, if Madrid in a lose position (2-1 to Atletico), I also don't think he'd celebrate like that.

I remember after he scored THAT equalizer against Valencia in the league, he didn't celebrate, knowing that the draw wasn't good enough for Madrid's title challenge.

EDIT: found THAT goal. A much better goal on an important match, and he didn't even celebrate.

If you meant that it was planned because he knew he could get away with yellow card, and a bit time wasting as his team almost clinch the game, in order for him to be on the limelight, yes I can agree with that.

Last edited:

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
Funny how Ronaldo is now reduced to being compared to Iniesta from comparisons to Messi :lol: That's after a season he scores 17 goals in CL, almost single-handedly winning them the trophy. This place can sure be strange at times! Just what would he be if he listened to such weirdos on the internet? I hope for his sakes, he continues to wind people up with even more innovative ideas.
Where do people get this shite from? If ever there was proof that people romanticize footballers like Maradona in 86, there it is. Mere days after winning the trophy Ronaldo has single handedly won it for them despite scoring 2 goals in the semi final when they were already in a very comfortable position, and one penalty in the final when it was already won :lol:

northbynorthwest

All part of your post is true except this one. Same can be said otherwise and then one can list aspects of game where Ronaldo is better at. Yes arguably Iniesta can be in top 20 of all time and is definitely underrated. I think Barca suffer more in his absence than Messi's. That said, everything considered, he will not go down as greater player than Ronaldo.
This comparison shouldn't even be made in first place because both perform very different roles and I have always thought that instead of talking about 'bests of all time' fans should rather discuss, best GK of all time, best CB of all time, best playmaker of all time, best striker of all time etc etc.

totally agree.

northbynorthwest

Ronaldo has now won the domestic league title, European Cup, European Golden Boot and Balon D'Or with two different clubs.

No other player has ever achieved this feat.

Incredible footballer.
without skilled and hard working team mates, he would win nothing,

northbynorthwest

Where do people get this shite from? If ever there was proof that people romanticize footballers like Maradona in 86, there it is. Mere days after winning the trophy Ronaldo has single handedly won it for them despite scoring 2 goals in the semi final when they were already in a very comfortable position, and one penalty in the final when it was already won :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
His face when he got the penalty spoke volumes. Grinning from ear to ear because he knew he could get his name on the scoresheet. Looked happier than when Bale scored. He is an incredibly egotistical player. Had to make it all about him when he scored. The image of the team all celebrating together and huddling while he is stood a couple of yards away flexing tells you all you need to know about him.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
His face when he got the penalty spoke volumes. Grinning from ear to ear because he knew he could get his name on the scoresheet. Looked happier than when Bale scored. He is an incredibly egotistical player. Had to make it all about him when he scored. The image of the team all celebrating together and huddling while he is stood a couple of yards away flexing tells you all you need to know about him.
:lol: :lol: Funny how so many people here have become experts in psychology. End up in talking bullshit just like most of the psychologists.

The Man Himself

Funny a egotistical player celebrates a goal of the team mate from stands like this. He wasn't even playing. I wonder why. Maybe he wanted all photographers to look at him instead of Bale :rolleyes:

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
:lol: :lol: Funny how so many people here have become experts in psychology. End up in talking bullshit just like most of the psychologists.
I don't think I made any in-depth psychological points. I simply stated what I observed. It takes no psychological nous to state a player who takes his shirt off and is flexing wants to be the centre of attention, just as when Balotelli did it: another egotistical player.

thejtrain

Ya, you'd think he was introduced in all these games after they were won :lol: Call it what you will but he was the most instrumental one in helping them win the trophy and that is by some distance. And I also like how you conveniently ignored the rest of the post probably the only thing the post was all about. Anyway, I'm done, it's nothing new I have heard from you, so I won't bother.

The Man Himself

I don't think I made any in-depth psychological points. I simply stated what I observed. It takes no psychological nous to state a player who takes his shirt off and is flexing wants to be the centre of attention, just as when Balotelli did it: another egotistical player.
See video from copa del rey final above. Why a player who only cares about himself celebrate like that in a game he is not playing?

steffyr2

Listen to him. Then listen to Ronaldo. It's reflected in the way he plays the game and the way his team-mates talk about him as well. Di Stéfano was a very humble, team-orientated man. People have lots of lovely things to say about Ronaldo but I don't think anyone would deny the size of his ego. I don't think it's a controversial claim to suggest Di Stéfano would never have celebrated like so:

We'll have to wait 45 years to see how Ronaldo and his teammates reflect back on this game, I suppose. They'll probably also have more perspective than they did yesterday.

The regulator

Judge Wanker.
So with regards to his over the top celebrations and antics here's something to note.

why the feck do you even care?!

Just bitterness and dislike for the sheer sake of it.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
See video from copa del rey final above. Why a player who only cares about himself celebrate like that in a game he is not playing?
He can be egotistical/vain etc. and still care about the team and other people. They're not mutually exclusive.

The Man Himself

He can be egotistical/vain etc. and still care about the team and other people. They're not mutually exclusive.
OK so then what is the point of your original post? If I get it right he loves himself but also cares about team and other people. What is wrong in it?

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
OK so then what is the point of your original post? If I get it right he loves himself but also cares about team and other people. What is wrong in it?
Because he cares about himself more than he should. When he scored the penalty he could have celebrated with the team but ran off and took his shirt off. If you know anyone who is egotistical you will know it is an undesirable trait.

The Man Himself

Because he cares about himself more than he should. When he scored the penalty he could have celebrated with the team but ran off and took his shirt off. If you know anyone who is egotistical you will know it is an undesirable trait.
By what right others decide or try to quantify how much he should care about himself?
If his teammates have no problem with it, his manager doesn't have problem with it, I don't know why some football fans have. If his teammates come out in open saying Ronaldo's antics or his game play is hampering the team, it will be worthy discussion point. Right now people who have problem with him are only some football fans and they come across as bitter.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
By what right others decide or try to quantify how much he should care about himself?
If his teammates have no problem with it, his manager doesn't have problem with it, I don't know why some football fans have. If his teammates come out in open saying Ronaldo's antics or his game play is hampering the team, it will be worthy discussion point. Right now people who have problem with him are only some football fans and they come across as bitter.
Bitter about what? Ronaldo deserves all his success.

It's pointless arguing about it, you don't see a problem with his narcissistic attitude. That's fair enough. Personally, I'd prefer it if he was a little more humble and showed more joy for the team as a whole.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
His celebration was ridiculously over the top and was probably the most cringeworthy thing I've seen him do since he joined us. I love the man, but this was the most obvious attempt at getting on the frontpages I've ever witnessed.

Do it again next year though, Ronnie! ;)

Reactions: Eyepopper

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
Ya, you'd think he was introduced in all these games after they were won :lol: Call it what you will but he was the most instrumental one in helping them win the trophy and that is by some distance. And I also like how you conveniently ignored the rest of the post probably the only thing the post was all about. Anyway, I'm done, it's nothing new I have heard from you, so I won't bother.
I didn't say that. But he wasn't even close to making the biggest contribution in the Semi's or final so 'almost single handedly' is so far off the mark it's hilarious.

anchan1989

He is still in his 20s. And a man.
We all know how we are then. If we do something great we want to show it. And thats fine.
It was in his city, his first big club, in his country. He just was happy and posed a bit. Big deal....
The people who know him praise and praised his hard work and kind character and things like this give me a wet eye and (even as a Bayernguy) let me acknowledge his greatness

twitter.com/SeedatUsama/status/471000642375258112/photo/1 so sweet:drool::)

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
If you meant that it was planned because he knew he could get away with yellow card, and a bit time wasting as his team almost clinch the game, in order for him to be on the limelight, yes I can agree with that.
I meant he wanted to make sure 'Ronaldo' was the picture on all the back pages, because he's the biggest narcissist on the face of the planet, I thought that was generally accepted.... lets face it he did feck all else to get himself noticed.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
How long to Ronaldo day this year?

Surely it's high time a few journos put the Bale-taking-the-spotlight, Ronaldo-over-celebrates-with-Madrid-faithful-turning-on-him stories together and fabricated a load of tosh about him coming to United to bring us back to win the CL and cement his place as the greatest player ever? Sure wouldn't LVG be only perfect to renew his motivation and determination...

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
How long to Ronaldo day this year?

Surely it's high time a few journos put the Bale-taking-the-spotlight, Ronaldo-over-celebrates-with-Madrid-faithful-turning-on-him stories together and fabricated a load of tosh about him coming to United to bring us back to win the CL and cement his place as the greatest player ever? Sure wouldn't LVG be only perfect to renew his motivation and determination...
What a ridiculous question. How do you not know this? That's like asking what day Christmas Day or Valentine's Day is! And you call yourself a United fan!?! It's August 8th FFS! It's always August the 8th.

Status
Not open for further replies.