Cristiano Ronaldo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
He already admitted he's not fully fit after the USA game. Nothing wrong with that in particular, but it came along with some other stuff that looks terrible coming out of a captain of a team who's still on the run. Basically admitting we're shit and the other teams have better players than us, we never really had a chance to win, and we're not a top team. All true, but FFS, he's the captain, I wonder how good that looks in the locker room. Save that kind of insight for post-retirement autobiographies, he's diminishing all his team-mates.
But it's true they are shit.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Its pretty much accurate. They have underperformed and there's nothing wrong with a bit of critical self-assessment.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
Thats why I don't get why everyone got so wound up about their game tying goal in the final seconds. It was a fantastic piece of football, the cross was great, but its going to end up being meaningless. They really can't qualify, lets be honest.

RedStarUnited

If thats what he thinks, Imagine what Neymar must think of those around him.

Just get on with it Ronnie, thats what great players do.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Its pretty much accurate. They have underperformed and there's nothing wrong with a bit of critical self-assessment.
He's the team's captain and the best player. At this moment he (and Bento more than him of course) should be doing everything in his reach to motivate the team to rise up in the last game and trounce Ghana. They still have an opportunity to redeem themselves, and should give their maximum. They will look like even bigger fools if Germany beats the US by 3-0 or something and we don't even try.

Instead, he publicly throws the towel to the ground. Critical self-assessment? Yes, the team is shit, but it's a National team and he has to work with what he's got. Why doesn't he critically self-assesses the manager as well, who's the biggest tool of the bunch? Oh, right...

Not that it makes that much difference, as the feeling is probably there for a long time and players know it. He seems to have switched his demeanor from frantically waiving his arms every time someone misses a pass or a goal to a condescending look of fake surprise. He's basically blaming Portugal for not being as good as Real Madrid.

I wonder what the likes of even more "unfortunate" players like Giggs or Hagi did in their primes with their NTs. Actually try to help or pout?

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
And because it's true it's right for him to say it? No, it's inadmissible.
Why ? Total lack of indiscipline is why Pepe got red carded and cost them a 4 goal deficit. Even though Muller was being a drama queen if Pepe had shut his trap maybe it would have only been a yellow. Also Alves just laid there instead of getting his ass up and defend against the USA. By just laying there he played Dempsey onside. How many times was he in better attacking position begging for the ball and it was never passed to him ?

Last edited:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He's the team's captain and the best player. At this moment he (and Bento more than him of course) should be doing everything in his reach to motivate the team to rise up in the last game and trounce Ghana. They still have an opportunity to redeem themselves, and should give their maximum. They will look like even bigger fools if Germany beats the US by 3-0 or something and we don't even try.

Instead, he publicly throws the towel to the ground. Critical self-assessment? Yes, the team is shit, but it's a National team and he has to work with what he's got. Why doesn't he critically self-assesses the manager as well, who's the biggest tool of the bunch? Oh, right...

Not that it makes that much difference, as the feeling is probably there for a long time and players know it. He seems to have switched his demeanor from frantically waiving his arms every time someone misses a pass or a goal to a condescending look of fake surprise. He's basically blaming Portugal for not being as good as Real Madrid.

I wonder what the likes of even more "unfortunate" players like Giggs or Hagi did in their primes with their NTs. Actually try to help or pout?
I suppose it depends on what will motivate the players. When expectations are high, its sometimes good to lower them and rebuild a team's confidence step by step. They aren't likely to progress anyway, so I don't think it will matter for them in Brazil.

Oneunited26

With the knee injury he has got, he still managed to pull a crucial assist out of his ass with how poor Portugal have been, that shows just how good Ronaldo is. He never stopped running, trying all he can, no one should hold it against him with his World Cup performances.

All the great players who have won a World Cup have all had good players around them, no way could a pele or Maradona win a World Cup with this current Portugal side. Only one player to have defied the laws of physiques to almost win a World Cup, with a international side which was a mess on all levels, was France with Zidane 06, the one player who was the heart beat of that french side in 2006, who almost made the impossible happened

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Why ? Total lack of indiscipline is why Pepe got red carded and cast them a 4 goal deficit. Even though Muller was being a drama queen if Pepe had shut his trap maybe it would have only been a yellow. Also Alves just laid there instead of getting his ass up and defend against the USA. By just laying there he played Dempsey onside. How many times was he in better attacking position begging for the ball and it was never passed to him ?
He actually removed Pepe and Coentrão out of criticism by saying how their absence made everything worse. No mention of how costly Pepe's behavior was, so your point is moot. Of course, those are his Real Madid team-mates.

And again the issue is not whether his assessment is right but how ludicrous it is to make that kind of assessment in public, as a member and leader of the team, in the middle of a competition.

And how many times was he in better attacking position and the ball wasn't passed to him? Answer me, because I don't know. This team has many problems, I never figuring people not passing him the ball to be one of them.

Skills

Snitch
If he's injured, it's probably best for him/Madrid if Portugal go out in the group stages. He can take the whole summer off then to treat his knee problem.

Oneunited26

He actually removed Pepe and Coentrão out of criticism by saying how their absence made everything worse. No mention of how costly Pepe's behavior was, so your point is moot. Of course, those are his Real Madid team-mates.

And again the issue is not whether his assessment is right but how ludicrous it is to make that kind of assessment in public, as a member and leader of the team, in the middle of a competition.

And how many times was he in better attacking position and the ball wasn't passed to him? Answer me, because I don't know. This team has many problems, I never figuring people not passing him the ball to be one of them.
Great points, let's see how great the pele's and Maradona's and now the messi's would do in this Portugal side. Heck messi can't even perform with Argentina, with all the talent he has got playing beside him

RedStarUnited

With the knee injury he has got, he still managed to pull a crucial assist out of his ass with how poor Portugal have been, that shows just how good Ronaldo is. He never stopped running, trying all he can, no one should hold it against him with his World Cup performances.

All the great players who have won a World Cup have all had good players around them, no way could a pele or Maradona win a World Cup with this current Portugal side. Only one player to have defied the laws of physiques to almost win a World Cup, with a international side which was a mess on all levels, was France with Zidane 06, the one player who was the heart beat of that french side in 2006, who almost made the impossible happened
You probably dont even know Peles and Maradonnas team mates for you to make such a statement. And Zidane didn't criticise his team in public either, he motivated them and got them playing well.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
Great points, let's see how great the pele's and Maradona's and now the messi's would do in this Portugal side. Heck messi can't even perform with Argentina, with all the talent he has got playing beside him
you are talking as if Ronaldo have done something with his poor team

he's a great player, he is injured, but besides that assist, so far he hasnt done much at all,

is not his fault, but lets not compare him with maradona or pele

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
Youngest Argie to reach 40 international goals and something like 21 goals in his last 21 games for Argentina.

Last edited:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

Argentina '86 never really had the riches of France '06, be it a prime Thierry Henry or almost-peak Patrick Vieira.

Annahnomoss

mistake in my post aside, it's a telling stat
It certainly is. Messi has such high expectations, and the same goes for Ronaldo and at this point in their careers the internationals are mainly discussed out of the POV whether or not they are among the greatest ever footballers.

So Messi dropping from his Barcelona level, to his Argentinian level - which he still does - is considered more important to discuss than the fact that Messi is bloody great for Argentina lately as well. Most people would like to see Messi carry his Argentina on his back like Maradona did, of course Maradona's Argentina wasn't the superpower they are today in terms of players available.

Should be noted that Bilardo's Argentina went in to the '86 World Cup after a run of seven(I believe) games without a victory. So Maradona faced similar critique as Ronaldo/Messi are currently doing as well - at the end knock-out stages are where it matters the most so both Messi and Ronaldo have a chance to step up if Portugal can get lucky against Ghana.

Gladiator

I think the passage of time makes previous succesful seasons seem better than they were at the time. This applies to the success of the team, as well as the levels of excellence reached by individual players. Nobody remembers the boring nil all draws and nobody remembers the poor or mediocre performances from individuals. Your memory congests it all into a highlight reel. That's why people think the likes of Ronaldo and Rooney were better players several years ago, despite all the statistics to the contrary. It's your mind playing tricks on you.
i agree with Pogue. Ronaldo has actually improved his game this season and showed a wide range of attacking qualities which he didn show with us to the same extent. What's impressed me most about him this past season with Real is his passing and decision making. Something he was derided for at his time at United. Plus unless United fans watch him regularly with Real, they're letting nostalgia paint over their perception of Ronaldo now. Missing out on a lot of his performances this season means you can make conclusions about him that are off base because you've missed on where he's actually improved

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
Unfortunately an injured Ronaldo is better than their other options but he is off the boil. i haven't read his comments but he is not doing much out there at all. The cross for the equalizer was quality but apart from that and a few flashes he hasn't done much.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Unfortunately an injured Ronaldo is better than their other options but he is off the boil. i haven't read his comments but he is not doing much out there at all. The cross for the equalizer was quality but apart from that and a few flashes he hasn't done much.
Aye, it's very hard to come into a tournament and excel when you're just finished rehabbing from an injury. Nowhere near enough work on the ball in recent weeks to keep on top of your game. Credit where it's due to Suarez for nicking those two goals against England (the horrible, biting, cheating wanker) but his overall performances have also been miles off what he has produced during the season.

All of which puts the criticism Rooney was getting for poor performances in previous tournaments into context.

Malva

apparently that rumour that ronaldo did that lightning bolt design to honour the kid's surgery scar is a load of bull. this is from the facebook page of the mother of the alleged child.

still very big of ronaldo to help them, but unfortunately not the inspiration for his hair.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Just the 4 goals in 3 games....imagine if he started performing eh :lol:

Oneunited26

Just the 4 goals in 3 games....imagine if he started performing eh :lol:
You are now seeing the real messi at a tournament, it's probably the first time have we seen messi now really take games by the neck in a major international tournament. But messi can only be good by the manager and players around him, which is something Ronaldo has not quiet got for Portugal, which is a shame

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
apparently that rumour that ronaldo did that lightning bolt design to honour the kid's surgery scar is a load of bull. this is from the facebook page of the mother of the alleged child.

still very big of ronaldo to help them, but unfortunately not the inspiration for his hair.

I have seen loads of stories about him being nice guy in last year making headlines, but few weeks after someone usually denies that story, no one from those who shared the original story seem to deny it after. Now, I know he likes to give his money for charity and stuff, but it's becoming bit of joke how they the media have decided to turn him into nice guy, even though before they didn't really like him. They were doing this stuff with Messi, only vice versa, in last year every move that Messi made was wrong, but before he was fusion of Gandhi, Jesus, and few other blokes.
Journalists are disgusting human beings, it takes idiot to make that story about his hairstyle and scar connection.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Considering he is Portugal's captain, supposedly best player in the world, his WC campaign has been pretty much embarassing. From his comments on his teammates, him sulking in every game(he is playing for his country ffs, at least act like you care), not celebrating goals of his teammates, to his performances. He is quick enough whenever he has the chance to score a goal, but when he needs to help build up or defend, or actually do anything to show he is actually much better than his teammates(who are shit according to him), he isn't there, but for that he has excuse of being injured. I really couldn't care less if he is injured or not if I was supporting Portugal and our captain showed attitude like that. Probably worst captain I ever saw.

northbynorthwest

I have seen loads of stories about him being nice guy in last year making headlines, but few weeks after someone usually denies that story, no one from those who shared the original story seem to deny it after. Now, I know he likes to give his money for charity and stuff, but it's becoming bit of joke how they the media have decided to turn him into nice guy, even though before they didn't really like him. They were doing this stuff with Messi, only vice versa, in last year every move that Messi made was wrong, but before he was fusion of Gandhi, Jesus, and few other blokes.
Journalists are disgusting human beings, it takes idiot to make that story about his hairstyle and scar connection.

journos would sell their soul for a story

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Good performance from him. Unlucky with couple of chances, on another could easily have had 3-4. With such an average and more than that, bunch of idiots around him in national team, he could have hardly gone much better in World Cup.

gofelx

Supports
Hamburgers
You are now seeing the real messi at a tournament, it's probably the first time have we seen messi now really take games by the neck in a major international tournament. But messi can only be good by the manager and players around him, which is something Ronaldo has not quiet got for Portugal, which is a shame
Give me one player who played well for Argentina besides Messi? Even Di Maria has been quite underwhelming so far...

---

Now that Portugal are out, it is save to say that Ronaldo really had a poor tournament overall. And this excuse "Portugal is shit besides Ronaldo" is an exaggeration, they have a few quality players actually. Really disappointed with Portugal though, didn't look the better side in any of these matches.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Good performance from him. Unlucky with couple of chances, on another could easily have had 3-4. With such an average and more than that, bunch of idiots around him in national team, he could have hardly gone much better in World Cup.
Wow, if anything he let his team down today considering they put chances on a plate for him and he sulked around for the whole world cup.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
How many "dribbling goals" do you remember from 06/07?

You're right that the assists went down, as the goals went up but surely that's because he was given more and more allowance to drift inside and no longer had to play as a traditional winger?

Of the top of my head, the 90th minute winner at Fulham, one of the Roma goals, an epic run right thruogh the heart of Aston Villa (the match where Scholes scored that volley). Having checked the video, I can add a goal vs Reading. 4 in 23 is 1/6th.
In 07/08, his 3 in 42.
Next year, none in 26.
And suddenly in his Pellegrini year at Madrid, 6 in 33.

Also, playing centrally doesn't necessarily mean less assists. Ozil was the assist king of la Liga from the #10 position. Also, 06/07 Ronaldo wasn't a traditional winger.

Anyway today was the summary of what is wrong with this version of Ronaldo. On the very rare days his finishing is off, he can be a liability. Unwilling to put in crosses or pass except as a last resort (or today when he visibly lost confidence), if he doesn't finish off his chances either, he is not pulling his weight despite being by an absurd distance Portugal's best player.

The Man Himself

Wow, if anything he let his team down today considering they put chances on a plate for him and he sulked around for the whole world cup.
Ghana Goalkeeper made some very good saves. It wasn't any world beaters they were facing in Ghana overall to praise others. The chances others created later were because Ghana gave them lot of space to work as they themselves searched for winner. Had Pepe kept his head vs Germany and had they defended better against US, they would have been through. Any player of Ronaldo's quality will sulk if others around him are so average and more so, undisciplined.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
have been here before with Ronaldo, could have had 3-4 more today! Even not 100% fit he's still that big a threat.

Really is a shame the team round him are so pony.
Nani was at his pure infuriating worse today

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Not to make excuses, but he's obviously still injured. Despite being a bit more mobile today, he's still not moving like he normally does. He could've probably done a bit better with this chances in the 2nd half though.

The Man Himself

Give me one player who played well for Argentina besides Messi? Even Di Maria has been quite underwhelming so far...

---

Now that Portugal are out, it is save to say that Ronaldo really had a poor tournament overall. And this excuse "Portugal is shit besides Ronaldo" is an exaggeration, they have a few quality players actually. Really disappointed with Portugal though, didn't look the better side in any of these matches.

Yeah, right. Aguero-Higuain-Di Maria-Lavezzi support cast is same as Nani-Eder etc... Also, playing against Nigeria and Iran is same as playing vs Germany and USA/Ghana.

Status
Not open for further replies.