Cristiano Ronaldo | Signs for United! Fcuk City

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
The young players are developing nicely as a force without this old timer busting to be the main man again.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
No. He had his time here. Do not want him back now.
Great player and all but far from my favourite United player. Don't get all the love some Reds still have for him.

Suedesi

Well, he guarantees a ton of goals, more so in our setup than Juve's I'd assume. As @Fortitude says, would be somewhat of a challenge for Rashford's development in terms of game time, but I think overall he'd be a hugely positive impact on our younger players, not least in terms of mentality, which is gold. We wouldn't need to spend maybe 20-30m on a backup striker once Ighalo's loan finishes (if those rumours are true, that Ole wants another striker then). Marketing money would surely increase. He would obviously improve us quite a lot. The fans would love it.

If Juve are desperate to shift him, they might just have to do a cheap deal, we could of course sweeten it by sending a player or two the other way that we're actively looking to shift (making more room in our wage bill).
Look, he can play a few games in the CL, but he's not the same specimen he was 11 years ago when left. This is no time for sentimentality.

And frankly, the manner of his departure was disgraceful,

http://therepublikofmancunia.com/ronaldo-the-slave-remind-me-whats-the-point-of-contracts-again/
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2008/jul/11/manchesterunited.premierleague1
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/ronaldo-i-am-a-slave-864958.html

I would not bend over backwards to get 1-2 top seasons out of him for 150+ million (transfer, agent fees and 1m quid a week); if United got that kinda cash lying around, go for Sancho and get 10 years out of him and some resale value.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
No. He had his time here. Do not want him back now.
Great player and all but far from my favourite United player. Don't get all the love some Reds still have for him.
Fans still respect a club legend and one of the best players this world has seen? How dare they fecking do that?

Suedesi

His huge respect for United and Sir Alex for a start...
He's good at playing the right soundbites that placate the fans, but he shat all over United to get his move to Madrid

We won the CL in Moscow and the first thing comes out of his mouth before we even collected the trophy "time for me to go, I've won all at United". Then all summer jonesing for a move with the "I'm slave" bullshit.

Huge respect for the club that.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Granted that Cristiano was excellent in 06/07 in terms of all round play but in 07/08 how may games did you watch where his goals papered over an otherwise poor/average performance? . There were many! In 08/09 he was poor for most of the season and only came alive in March. I will repeat that interms of allround play, Cristiano's abilities have always been exaggerated; he has never reached the kind of level that Neymar did today. So, your statements clearly rose tinted. Ronaldo, to many United/Real fans is like an ex girlfriend dumped them who they simply cant get over.
stop trolling and derailing this thread. Its idiotic.

forevrared

It makes absolutely no sense to bring him back and I also don't think it's a very smart move, but still if we did it, you wouldn't be able to wipe the grin off my face.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Ronaldo, played as an out and out #9 still has 3 maybe 4 season of absolutely top class strike GPG ratios in him. You're kidding yourself if you think his output would slow down in the PL. It is, however, wholly dependent on the supply lines to him as he's a box player more than not if you want to optimise and preserve him.

His wage and the potential noses he'd put out of joint that are the biggest issues, not what you're going to get from him on the pitch. Ronaldo's 35 is the normal great players' 30; him coming down is still above the apex of all but the top few players in the world.

Hypothetically, him coming to United would wreck Rashford's trajectory and put Martial back out on the wing. It's a lot of disruption considering those are supposed to be two stars for us, now and well into the 2020's.

But there's no doubt, no doubt at all, you're getting yourself an elite performer for your money, now and for a number seasons yet.

I actually think the club would go for it because the PR aspect and marketing etc. would blow literally any other player we could land out of the water. I doubt Ronaldo would come back to England, however.
This. No one's doubting his quality or his goalscoring prowess but it does seem like a risky move with regards to team chemistry and cohesion. Martial seems to be finally growing into his role as a CF and Greenwood looks to be the next star in the making and Rashford just needs to add consistency to his game. It's a promising, youthful and a fluid forward trio which is amongst the best in the country and has the potential to be even better. Adding a brilliant yet relatively static goalscorer who is going to want the tactics to be catered towards servicing him, is not going to help one bit. Also it'll be poor man management of Martial who's shown that he deserves to be given an extended run at the #9 spot.

Getting Ronaldo would be akin to keeping van Nistelrooy in that 06/07 side, although on a much bigger scale* obviously. You'd have one of the best goalscorers in the game, if not the best, leading the side but the side would perhaps be better off and more fluid without him. A sideways or a potentially backward move even.

*It's a tactical comparison and I'm definitely not comparing them as individuals before people start going 'you didn't just compare Ronaldo with Ruud' etc.

With all that being said the muppet in me would be over the moon if it actually happens and I'd loved to be proved wrong. But no, I can't see him coming here, just doesn't make sense and Ronaldo will rather chase another 'milestone' than come back to United where he's already won the lot.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
Yeah when we finally have some sort of an attack with an identity, we go and get a old legend back for nostalgia.

Ronaldo is great, but the time to resign him has passed.
If it was Ronaldo or no attacking signing what would you rather go without?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Does he play as #9 for Juve? I thought he's more like a free roamer second striker.

Jibbs

Hypothetical situation:

Get Ronaldo and de Ligt in exchange of Pogba, get Dembele from Barcelona on loan with an option to buy. Get VdB from Ajax for 35 million and Gueye from PSG for 10,15 million or on loan.

By just spending 50 million we can have a potential title winning squad ready.
Ronaldo can play as number 9. Martial and Rashford compete for left wing and Greenwood and Dembele for right. The four can rotate and Martial can take his number 9 when Ronaldo is to be rested.

In midfield we can spend big too and get Ndidi instead of Gueye for 50 55 million and build a solid midfield.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Hypothetical situation:

Get Ronaldo and de Ligt in exchange of Pogba, get Dembele from Barcelona on loan with an option to buy. Get VdB from Ajax for 35 million and Gueye from PSG for 10,15 million or on loan.

By just spending 50 million we can have a potential title winning squad ready.
Ronaldo can play as number 9. Martial and Rashford compete for left wing and Greenwood and Dembele for right. The four can rotate and Martial can take his number 9 when Ronaldo is to be rested.

In midfield we can spend big too and get Ndidi instead of Gueye for 50 55 million and build a solid midfield.
If we can’t afford Sancho for 120m, I don’t see how we could afford both Ronaldo salary (1m weekly) and De Ligt (250k weekly), even if we sold Pogba.

VP

Ronaldo would be a brilliant signing even at this age. But given he jumped ship from a United team at its peak, what makes people think he'll move to a united team that's just about the third-best in the league? Only thing he might find attractive about United currently is the number of penalties we're winning.

spaceboyRSA

Really? So in what aspect of attacking play is Cristiano better than Neymar?

Dribbling? Not even close, Neymar is better

Creativity? Not even close, Neymar is better

Passing? Not even close, Neymar is better

Goalscoring? Cristiano is better, unquestionably.

I understand that Cristiano once played for United but the exaggeration of his abilities on this forum (and in the press, solely due to his comparisons with Messi) is bewildering. The guy is a fantastic goalscorer but the rest of his game has never been at the level of what Neymar is capable of producing.
Because Ronaldo won 5 Ballon's just being a poacher.

Suggest raising such a silly argument when Neymar wins even one.

manunited1919

If we sign Ronaldo then we didn’t learn anything from the Sanchez deal.
I would rather continue remembering Ronaldo as a United legend. But taking him back now would seem like taking back your ex-wife who left you for your best friend, but now wants to come back because you have good income.

spaceboyRSA

I would rather continue remembering Ronaldo as a United legend. But taking him back now would seem like taking back your ex-wife who left you for your best friend, but now wants to come back because you have good income.
This is 100 percent correct. Leave him in the spank bank.

DarkLord

This is the most stupid post in Redcafe history. Congratulations.

Honestly, I am impressed.
That's the problem with Ronaldo fanboys. Frankly it's embarrassing how you have to resort to attacking someone personally just to make a point. Shameful.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
This. No one's doubting his quality or his goalscoring prowess but it does seem like a risky move with regards to team chemistry and cohesion. Martial seems to be finally growing into his role as a CF and Greenwood looks to be the next star in the making and Rashford just needs to add consistency to his game. It's a promising, youthful and a fluid forward trio which is amongst the best in the country and has the potential to be even better. Adding a brilliant yet relatively static goalscorer who is going to want the tactics to be catered towards servicing him, is not going to help one bit. Also it'll be poor man management of Martial who's shown that he deserves to be given an extended run at the #9 spot.

Getting Ronaldo would be akin to keeping van Nistelrooy in that 06/07 side, although on a much bigger scale* obviously. You'd have one of the best goalscorers in the game, if not the best, leading the side but the side would perhaps be better off and more fluid without him. A sideways or a potentially backward move even.

*It's a tactical comparison and I'm definitely not comparing them as individuals before people start going 'you didn't just compare Ronaldo with Ruud' etc.

With all that being said the muppet in me would be over the moon if it actually happens and I'd loved to be proved wrong. But no, I can't see him coming here, just doesn't make sense and Ronaldo will rather chase another 'milestone' than come back to United where he's already won the lot.
Yes, the disruption would be excessive for our personnel, the way we play, and what we aim to do because everything just revolves around servicing Ronaldo then and also massaging his ego.

Martial has worked really hard to claim that #9 spot and to have it yoinked from his grasp, and very probably his number, too, I'm not even sure he'd be prepared to stay at the club under those circumstances, so my suggestion of him going to the left may well be redundant.

Rashford in the same team as Ronaldo is a disaster, imo. Rashford is a very light Ronaldo Lite at his best and the freedom of expression and being the team's de facto long-range potshotter would be curtailed as that's what Ronaldo does and will essentially demand to do wherever he goes. Rashford is also quite selfish - as is his right - so being reduced to the role of a water carrier for a bigger name to do the things he wants to do on a pitch, just can't see how that wouldn't put a spanner in the works.

Not sure how much Bruno would care, but those penalties would no longer be his, either.

Greenwood thrives in an eclectic, multi-positional set up that allows him to roam and puts little pressure on him to stick to a script; Ronaldo changes that, too.

If Sancho does come, he's the only one in a frontline who would almost certainly see only considerable net gains as his assist numbers would threaten another Özil-Ronaldo type monstrous machine. Pogba and Bruno would almost certainly hit double figures supplying Ronaldo, also.

Funnelling so much back into one player makes for an apt comparison with Ruud as you did. Our net gain in terms of team doesn't necessarily increase and ultimately, servicing one player incessantly can obviously be counterproductive tactically and is also reliant on those around that player accepting a role of total deference. It's the antithesis of what we're working hard to become - a fluid, multi-positional unit with dynamic and reactive opportunistic tendencies.

Ronaldo has a wealth of information in his head to bestow upon forwards who wish to learn, but he's also the lion who eats first and deigns when others gets the scraps, which as a goal-hungry #9 he has every right to be. Funny that him coming back here could potentially set this bunch of players back literal years; I guess fans could put their hands over their eyes and la la all the logistics away, but Ronaldo coming back (before even considering the way he left) is no sure thing to improve us as a club.

I've absolutely, utterly no doubt Ronaldo the player is good for ridiculous numbers in the PL as a 35yr-38yr old #9, but whether we're equipped to give him that as we are, with the forwards we currently have... I'm really not sure.

His wages take care of themselves, really not sure people are taking on board the furore Ronaldo the all-time great - back in the PL and back 'home' is a marketing and sponsorship goldmine the likes of which football hasn't seen in the social media age - would cause.

Last point obviously comes down to injury and whether his body would hold up to the demands of the league not only in terms of the pace, but also in having less game management time. Whether by design or coincidence, Ronaldo starts seasons slowly and builds to a crescendo during the run-in. He wouldn't be afforded that luxury to that extent here. It'd be a period of adjustment for him to say the least!

So the question of whether him coming back is a good thing for either party is multifaceted and comes with numerous caveats and considerations no-one should say they didnt see coming. Ronaldo the player won't let you down, but honestly, at what cost does that come to a team like we have with three forwards all on an upward trajectory having the room for growth that we assume they do?

Last edited:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
But your ex is hot as hell, feisty, the best in bed you’ve ever been with and you’re horny as hell..

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
No thanks, not sure the pace of the PL would suit him now and would he be happy to be a rotational option?

matsdf

No thanks, not sure the pace of the PL would suit him now and would he be happy to be a rotational option?
Why would he be a rotational option when he easily would be our best player?

Hawks2008

The time to bring him back was when be left Madrid. Unless we are in 'win now' mode then go for him but realistically we're probably another 2-3 transfer windows away from having a squad that will be strong on all fronts.

Definitely still elite but its not the right signing. Dont see him leaving this window anyway.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Such long drawn out debates. He's not coming nor should we be chasing him.

Cal?

CR7 fan
If this is even remotely possible, we should just let Dortmund say whatever they like and spend that Sancho fee on Ronaldo's wages.

The one signing that will help us close the gap on Liverpool.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
it is €57m fee not to make Juve incur in an accounting loss + his €31m/year net wage, so he’s surely bound in golden handcuffs at this stage :rolleyes: .... or maybe a swap???:D
An Icardi/Ronaldo swap is pretty like for like for both sides in terms of play style. Not sure why PSG would want him for so much money at such an age, though.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Nostalgia is a cruel beast, but I don't think you can be a united fan and say no to his return.

Status
Not open for further replies.