Kick-off
Wed, 18 January 2023 @ 8:00pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Shai-Hulud

If we're dependent on Casemiro to beat Palace then we're in fantasy land thinking we're challenging Arsenal
    I mean... That's easy to say, and it has the appearance of being correct. But there will always be games over the course of a league season where a "weaker" team will put up much more of a fight than the strongest one and take points off of you. You can't go a full season without banana skin games.

UDontMessWith24

We've won derbies in years we've been crap and nowhere near the title race, but these are the types of fixtures teams that at the very least can string out a title chase need to win. Asinine fixture congestion makes it even tougher.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Casemiro (and Fred) really needs to avoid getting booked in this game otherwise he’s banned for Arsenal

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
    Too much obsession with the Arsenal game and resting players for it here. This won't be an easy game. Fail to win it and talk of being in a title race will look ridiculous.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
    Too much obsession with the Arsenal game and resting players for it here. This won't be an easy game. Fail to win it and talk of being in a title race will look ridiculous.

Yeah I agree. This is a tough one to predict a team for. We obviously want key players fresh for Arsenal but we also need to keep momentum. Can we win this without Varane, Casemiro & Rashford? Yes probably, but our chances are diminished, and I have no doubt they are all going to want to play in both.

Todd

Casemiro picking up a yellow and having to miss the Arsenal match would be so stupid, so I think he needs to be sat for this one. Think it'd be a good opportunity to give the new guy a run as well.

De Gea

Malacia
    Shaw
    Martinez
    AWB

Fred
    Eriksen
    Bruno

Garnacho
    Wout
    Rashford

bosskeano

Casemiro picking up a yellow and having to miss the Arsenal match would be so stupid, so I think he needs to be sat for this one. Think it'd be a good opportunity to give the new guy a run as well.

De Gea

Malacia
    Shaw
    Martinez
    AWB

Fred
    Eriksen
    Bruno

Garnacho
    Wout
    Rashford
    he won't play both martinez and shaw as they are both left footed

cyberman

Got to go as strong as we can risk. They gave Chelsea a tough time away and are very good at home. Wout needs to get some minutes, possibly from the start. Might see McFred again for this though.
    Palace have lost as many as Bournemouth at home this season.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
    Win this one and the Arsenal game is a bonus. Great if it's 2-0 at 60 minutes and we can sub Casemiro, Varane, etc.

I think Martinez needs to play here.

December_16

Let’s be clear here, none of what is being posted on this site has an ounce of impact on the actual line-up. Zero. Zinch. Zip. None.

So we’re just posting our own speculation on the line up and subs for the sake of discussion. Don’t be condescending, don’t call anyone out for obsession or ridiculousness or whatever, it’s uncalled for. Your opinion or speculation is just as good as anyone’s here.

Red Royal

If Martial still has a knick and Rashford needs a rest, looking more and more likely that Wout gets a start here.
    This fixture congestion is going to test our squad strength very soon.

roseguy64

Lindelof has definitely played on the right side before, but yes ETH has actively avoided using Maguire on the left so he replaces Varane more often. I just don't see him as "needing to step up" when he won't play most important games we have, while the other two players you mentioned are in our first choice starting XI
    Okay fair enough. I get where you're coming from.

Edwards6

Need to save Casemiro and Fred from getting suspended so -
    De Gea
    Wan Bissaka, Maguire, Martinez, Shaw
    Mctominay, Eriksen
    Antony, Bruno, Rashford
    Martial

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
    Garnacho should start…that’s the easiest rotation to make.

Martinez from the start.

Share the 90 mins between Shaw/Malacia

If Martial/Rashford are not 100% then Weghorst will have to get stuck in.

A win against Palace gives you the same as a Win against Arsenal, so I hope the squad doesn’t get carried away and overlooks Palace.
    You are making good points. We want to rotate with Crystal Palace because we want to win both games. As we should. And to achieve it, I think we should start our strongest side with CP, crush them 2-0 or 3-0 in the first 30 minutes and only then sub the likes of Rashy, Casemiro, and Varane to rest them. Rather than start subs, struggle and then bringing players at the last minute to save the day

WW should start. Martial is not fit to start anyway, probably

Faetheshire86

A midfield duo of MCT and Eriksen gives me the creeps, better play Fred alongside MCT and sub Eriksen on if we need a goal.
    Liverpool 2-1 (W)
    Southampton 0-1 (W)
    Leicester City 0-1 (W)
    Arsenal 3-1 (W)
    Sheriff 0-2 (W)
    Man City 6-3 (L)

No Casemiro would obviously be a huge blow, but I think people have a short memory. The McTominay x Eriksen midfield dug us out of a hole, after loosing 2-1 and 4-0 to Brighton and Brentford respectively. Back when Ronaldo was practically sabotaging us and we didn't have Rashford scoring a goal a game.

croadyman

You are making good points. We want to rotate with Crystal Palace because we want to win both games. As we should. And to achieve it, I think we should start our strongest side with CP, crush them 2-0 or 3-0 in the first 30 minutes and only then sub the likes of Rashy, Casemiro, and Varane to rest them. Rather than start subs, struggle and then bringing players at the last minute to save the day

WW should start. Martial is not fit to start anyway, probably
    Problem is they could have already been booked by then and therefore out of Arsenal game

JeffFromHK

I would pick this line up
    De Gea
    awb Varane Martinez Malacia
    McTominay Eriksen
    Antony Bruno Garnacho
    Wout

players rested:
    shaw - fatigue avoidance
    Martial and Rashford rested (semi-injured vs Man City)
    Casemiro and Fred - avoiding an extra yellow

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
    I would pick this line up
    De Gea
    awb Varane Martinez Malacia
    McTominay Eriksen
    Antony Bruno Garnacho
    Wout

players rested:
    shaw - fatigue avoidance
    Martial and Rashford rested (semi-injured vs Man City)
    Casemiro and Fred - avoiding an extra yellow
    Makes sense, but Varane could use resting as well. Too bad Maguire is an unreliable elephant that could give away a goal and ruin our game :(

skc_18

I don’t think Eth should rest anyone for this and arsenal game. However considering Case and Fred are at risk of suspension I would start one (Fred) and bring in Case after 60 mins if we need.
    We have a insane fixtures next few weeks but after Arsenal game we have 3 games which are of Fa and carabao cup which gives decent chance to rest players.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
    Good to see Sky are showing this. didn't realise until last night. Will always remember 1993 and the win that pretty much secured the first PL title. Got there without a ticket but someone sold me a spare one for face price. We were brilliant, capped by a Mark Hughes special (made up for being at Selhurst Park as a kid when we got thumped 5-0...)

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
    Let’s be clear here, none of what is being posted on this site has an ounce of impact on the actual line-up. Zero. Zinch. Zip. None.

So we’re just posting our own speculation on the line up and subs for the sake of discussion. Don’t be condescending, don’t call anyone out for obsession or ridiculousness or whatever, it’s uncalled for. Your opinion or speculation is just as good as anyone’s here.
    Really? Thanks for letting me know.

I'll keep giving my opinion on the game though (which noticeably others agreed with) .

What an innocuous post to get wound up about.

Lord Zlatan

Good to see Sky are showing this. didn't realise until last night. Will always remember 1993 and the win that pretty much secured the first PL title. Got there without a ticket but someone sold me a spare one for face price. We were brilliant, capped by a Mark Hughes special (made up for being at Selhurst Park as a kid when we got thumped 5-0...)
    class game, remember it well

lysglimt

Scout
    No way we will leave out Casemiro even at the risk of losing him against Arsenal. If we leave him out - and we drop points, well then we will be just as far behind Arsenal even if we beat them away. Play Casemiro and instruct him not to go to ground in tackles - we need to win this game. Oh and Weghorst should start - if Andersen is missing, Palace isn't as strong in the air.

Lam

People talking as if Fred and Casemiro are Championship thugs who don’t know how to avoid getting booked. They are professionals who will stick to a plan.

Liverpool 2-1 (W)
    Southampton 0-1 (W)
    Leicester City 0-1 (W)
    Arsenal 3-1 (W)
    Sheriff 0-2 (W)
    Man City 6-3 (L)

No Casemiro would obviously be a huge blow, but I think people have a short memory. The McTominay x Eriksen midfield dug us out of a hole, after loosing 2-1 and 4-0 to Brighton and Brentford respectively. Back when Ronaldo was practically sabotaging us and we didn't have Rashford scoring a goal a game.
    Exactly. This is what I need to post in the McTominay thread when people say he’s a Championship clogger!

Havak

Pokemon master
    Exactly. This is what I need to post in the McTominay thread when people say he’s a Championship clogger!
    Indeed. We have to be able to trust these players in games like this if we want to be successful.

de Gea
    Wan-Bissaka Varane Martinez Shaw
    McTominay Eriksen
    Antony Bruno Garnacho
    Martial​

If we go with this side, it's only three players off what most of us would say is the first choice XI currently. Of course, some our best performers wouldn't be involved. Maybe EtH will just play Casemiro and Rashford, we'll see. Just got to navigate through this one and then we'll see how we fare against Arsenal. Lots of opportunities to use the squad with three cup games after these PL ones.

croadyman

People talking as if Fred and Casemiro are Championship thugs who don’t know how to avoid getting booked. They are professionals who will stick to a plan.
    I am aware of that but like I said the other day it only takes a burst of speed from Zaha/Eze to draw one into a tackle. That's why I would start Fred but leave Casa on the bench.

Member 125398

My instinct is to put out our strongest team and push hard for all 3 points although it's a tough one as the psychological benefit of beating Arsenal is huge. There's an inevitability of some 'levelling up' refereeing decisions in the next few days.

Mike Smalling

It's worth remembering, that we've only had one away game in our post World Cup winning streak. Our last two away games were narrow wins against Wolves and Fulham, so I expect this to be a tough test as well, and we might drop points. It is a good thing for us, that Joachim Andersen is likely missing - he does a lot for Palace's defense.

I hope to see:

DDG
    Dalot - Varane - Martinez - Shaw
    Casemiro - Eriksen
    Antony - Bruno - Garnacho
    Martial

Take off Casemiro if we are winning comfortably. Put on Rashford if we are struggling.

RedorDead21

All the best managers would rotate given the fixture list. Ferguson would 100% rested players for Arsenal. No point playing everyone against Palace and winning to then expect them to repeat against the best team in the league afew days later. We have a decent squad. These are the games it’s for.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

6.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 255 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Crystal Palace win
  • Draw