Curious Case of Coutinho...

dmode

No way we get him at this price, will surely prove to be a Sanchezesque transfer, better concentrate on our youth :drool:

:devil:

Bergman

Supports
Liverpool
Reus and have Eriksen have been strong though
Isnt Reus playing CF? Havent watched much of Dortmund but could have sworn he was leading the line.

Eriksen might actually be the best around on current form (depending on what you classify Pogba as). Really hope we at least try for him as he would complete our team.

Charles Miller

He is consistently awful there. He can't dribble, can't pass, never shoots. And is not like the adversaries are stronger. Almost all of them are inferior to the opposition he used to face in the Premier League.

Ekeke

Isnt Reus playing CF? Havent watched much of Dortmund but could have sworn he was leading the line.

Eriksen might actually be the best around on current form (depending on what you classify Pogba as). Really hope we at least try for him as he would complete our team.
Gotze is in front when its the two of them through the middle. And yeah for me under Ole Pogba is a 10, but coming from CM a bit like City with Silva and De Bruyne

Negan

I sincerely hope we don’t get this guy.

I get the whole “it’ll wind up the Scousers” thing... but then what? We’re stuck with a player who doesn’t fit the formation or system.

We play 433 with a DM. Coutinho isn’t capable of being an 8 like Iniesta... and even if he was, he’s not getting in over Herrera who has more legs and is more defensively secure. Do we play him at LW? What happens to Martial then?

It’s a bad idea. We need to get rid of Sanchez but if we sign Coutinho over Sancho, I’ll be absolutely gutted.

Eleven-Eighteen

He would make our team better but only if we were playing a formation that suits him. Have always highly rated him, especially outside the box with his shots on goal. Kind of like Nani in his prime (with the shot taking). It would also be amazing to see Liverpool fans' faces if it does happen.

He'd just cost too much though - both purchase price and wage bill. And to buy another player in that position, just doesn't make sense. What we need is a solid RW, and Coutinho just doesn't make the cut.

Josh 76

All those fans who were saying we don't need a player like Courtinho, because we have Lingard, Martial and Pogba , may want a rethink.
I repeat what I said, we do not have a player to unlock 10 men defences!

Un4givableB

I would take Courtinho is a sec, a swap for Alexis Sanchez ???

Wishful thinking :drool:

SER19

Coutinho is an interesting prospect. He's still only 26, has shown he can do it in the Premier league and definitely would add that more unpredictable element to our play.

On the other hand perhaps he's one of these players that only performs in a team that suits him exactly and he may be a bit inconsistent.

Also, where would he play for us?

What's the caf consensus

NoPace

Coutinho is an interesting prospect. He's still only 26, has shown he can do it in the Premier league and definitely would add that more unpredictable element to our play.

On the other hand perhaps he's one of these players that only performs in a team that suits him exactly and he may be a bit inconsistent.

Also, where would he play for us?

What's the caf consensus
Probably:

--Martial/Rash---Rash/Lukaku
-----------Coutinho------------
---Pogba-----------Herrera----
-------------DM----------------

basically how we sometimes play with Lingard as a 10 or false 9 type. Maybe Coutinho is bit to the right, but basically 2 of the forwards up top in some capacity (one maybe wide starting like Cristiano did at Madrid), Pogba and Coutinho creating and 2 of Herrera, Fred and Matic charged with the midfield.

SER19

Probably:

--Martial/Rash---Rash/Lukaku
-----------Coutinho------------
---Pogba-----------Herrera----
-------------DM----------------

basically how we sometimes play with Lingard as a 10 or false 9 type. Maybe Coutinho is bit to the right, but basically 2 of the forwards up top in some capacity (one maybe wide starting like Cristiano did at Madrid), Pogba and Coutinho creating and 2 of Herrera, Fred and Matic charged with the midfield.
I think that looks pretty good. I understand the reservations though as barca massively overpaid and we'd be looking at a silly fee. If it were 50 or 60 then perhaps.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Coutinho spent most of his time operating from the left of the Reds' front three, his position described as “a wing 10” by Klopp. Later Klopp moved him deeper in midfield to support the front 3. So if MU is looking for a #10 then he will be a good buy. He is at his prime age 26, proven in EPL, a big name so it is logical for him to link to MU. MU probably want a big name signing this summer too.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
Definitely an option to consider.

We are desperate for creativity.

As LVG, Moyes' and Mourinho have explained in recent interviews... For whatever reason, we often fail to get our first/second/third targets so surely this should be on one of our lists.

The above fact is one of the key factors that separates us from the current elite teams. Real, Barca, City and PSG rarely miss their top targets.

NoPace

I sincerely hope we don’t get this guy.

I get the whole “it’ll wind up the Scousers” thing... but then what? We’re stuck with a player who doesn’t fit the formation or system.

We play 433 with a DM. Coutinho isn’t capable of being an 8 like Iniesta... and even if he was, he’s not getting in over Herrera who has more legs and is more defensively secure. Do we play him at LW? What happens to Martial then?

It’s a bad idea. We need to get rid of Sanchez but if we sign Coutinho over Sancho, I’ll be absolutely gutted.
Sancho would for sure be the better signing, he's a natural RW and he's 18 instead of 27 (Coutinho's age at start of next year) but I think signing Coutinho still improves us a fair bit.

We'd play a diamond and get width on the right from the striker (Lukaku likes playing out there and Rashford can) and the RB (Dalot and hopefully we do sign someone to start right now, ideally a more attackingly inclined player than Wan Bissaka if we are signing Coutinho instead of a right winger).

And when Pogba or Martial are out, we'd have Coutinho to play as the most attacking midfielder in a trio or at LW.

lukepowell1988

Would rather we signed someone like Sancho.

Surely he would get some serious abuse when we play Liverpool I don't see him being the type that would be able to handle to torrent of abuse.

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
He isn't suited to the way Barcelona want to play and Liverpool have become a stronger team without him.

At the time Liverpool sold him he was probably worth around £80-90 Million, so the deal Liverpool got for him was phenomenal.

There is a lot of debate on Liverpool forums about whether we should have him back, and its about 50/50 overall.

His best position is on the left of a front three, an area that United don't really need to improve on. I don't think you would be able to play him in a midfield three with Pogba either, so I don't understand the United interest?

Relfy

No thanks. Overrated and was sold for an inflated fee, and his sale from Barca will again be above the market value. He'd be too expensive, no defined role for him in the team. Best to focus on the key areas of the pitch which we need to address first and foremost before thinking about spending insane money on this lad.

NJM78

I like Coutinho and he was easily one of the best players in this league when he left. Much better than Lingard and Mata that is for certain but not a player we need over more pressing concerns like RW, DM, RB, CB.

In Rainbows

No thanks. Let Barca dig themselves out. No reason to help fund their other transfer activity.

Kapardin

Off topic, but Is it me or he has an uncanny resemblance with Sofia Boutella? She looks like Coutinho with a wig. Was watching Climax and couldn't help noticing it.:p

RedorDead21

50m plus Sanchez and i’d Go for it. He’s a brilliant creative link player which we don’t have apart from the one in 4 games Pogba does it.

Bobski

Do Coutinho and Pogba not both want to play in pretty much the same position? Advanced inside left/attacking midfield with freedom to roam and little defensive responsibility. I could see a swap deal, package Dembele with Coutinho and it could be a good move for Utd.

AgentP

50m plus Sanchez and i’d Go for it. He’s a brilliant creative link player which we don’t have apart from the one in 4 games Pogba does it.
Barca would rather take just 50m. They didn't even want Sanchez at his peak.

AgentP

Do Coutinho and Pogba not both want to play in pretty much the same position? Advanced inside left/attacking midfield with freedom to roam and little defensive responsibility. I could see a swap deal, package Dembele with Coutinho and it could be a good move for Utd.
I don't think Barca even need a midfielder. Pogba would be more out of place at Barca than Coutinho.

Bobski

I don't think Barca even need a midfielder. Pogba would be more out of place at Barca than Coutinho.
True, I could see Messi becoming highly frustrated with Pogba.

Madrid have less to offer Utd though, back when Ronaldo moved there Utd really should have got Robben back out of the deal, any player swap with Madrid is likely to be a broken down version of a star name.

Devil may care

@Devil may care hey mate, do you think we still wouldn’t use Coutinho if Pogba was to go?
You mean in a 3 man midfield? As I was never against bringing him in to play at the tip of the diamond where Mata played yesterday, I just don't think he does enough off the ball to play in a genuine midfield 3, if Pogba goes we will probably move to a 4-2-3-1 IMO.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
You mean in a 3 man midfield? As I was never against bringing him in to play at the tip of the diamond where Mata played yesterday, I just don't think he does enough off the ball to play in a genuine midfield 3, if Pogba goes we will probably move to a 4-2-3-1 IMO.
No, I mean what’s your opinion??
I remember having a debate in the twitter thread.

If Pogba leaves I cannot see anyone better than Coutinho to replace him. He’s as good of a goal threat as he is providing it. He is premier league proven. He is a guy who thrives on being an outlet.

What do you think man?

I tagged you because I value your opinion lad not because I take the piss.

Devil may care

No, I mean what’s your opinion??
I remember having a debate in the twitter thread.

If Pogba leaves I cannot see anyone better than Coutinho to replace him. He’s as good of a goal threat as he is providing it. He is premier league proven. He is a guy who thrives on being an outlet.

What do you think man?

I tagged you because I value your opinion lad not because I take the piss.
He wouldn't be my first choice and I wouldn't slot him directly into either of the systems we currently use in the same role Pogba plays, I'd restructure the system and Coutinho would be in the top 5 candidates I'd have to play as the #10 in a 4-2-3-1, but there are question marks over how he'd cope with the ex Liverpool factor and whether he'd really want to be here as apparently his family struggled to settle in the country when he was at Liverpool.

Mick321

He's not a central midfielder, he has a few of the qualities to be useful there but he's a liability off the ball and he even says himself his fav position is from the left. And by all accounts isn't particularly keen on England. No thanks.

Plus, he's damaged goods.

Bergman

Supports
Liverpool
He wouldn't be my first choice and I wouldn't slot him directly into either of the systems we currently use in the same role Pogba plays, I'd restructure the system and Coutinho would be in the top 5 candidates I'd have to play as the #10 in a 4-2-3-1, but there are question marks over how he'd cope with the ex Liverpool factor and whether he'd really want to be here as apparently his family struggled to settle in the country when he was at Liverpool.
I think the problem for him at Barca is the slow, patient. build up style of theirs. Coutinho is a very direct player. And if anyone has doubts about him in a midfield 3 they should watch reruns of his 2013/14 season. He can be a very combative player. He can also create numerous chances from deep. Not to mention the obvious match winning capabilities in his arsenal and how deadly he is at set pieces.

I havent heard of any problems he had settling at Liverpool. By all accounts he was very happy there. His wife was quite outspoken about how happy they were in Liverpool. The only time he became unsettled was when Barca came calling.

Anyone who gets him imo gets a world class player, still young. Who has done the whole Barca/Real thing. Would be as good a deal as the Robben one. Hopefully he comes back to Liverpool or goes to Bayern.

Devil may care

I think the problem for him at Barca is the slow, patient. build up style of theirs. Coutinho is a very direct player. And if anyone has doubts about him in a midfield 3 they should watch reruns of his 2013/14 season. He can be a very combative player. He can also create numerous chances from deep. Not to mention the obvious match winning capabilities in his arsenal and how deadly he is at set pieces.

I havent heard of any problems he had settling at Liverpool. By all accounts he was very happy there. His wife was quite outspoken about how happy they were in Liverpool. The only time he became unsettled was when Barca came calling.

Anyone who gets him imo gets a world class player, still young. Who has done the whole Barca/Real thing. Would be as good a deal as the Robben one. Hopefully he comes back to Liverpool or goes to Bayern.
I've heard a few people say that it's Barca's style of play that doesn't suit him and that they bought him for the Iniesta role that Arthur has since taken. I can see there being truth in that, Barca can be a hard team to adapt to no matter how good you are, as Ibrahimovic found out. As far as him not settling here, it's something a couple of journos have said in conjunction with why they didn't see him moving back to the PL if he leaves Barca in the summer.

lukepowell1988

Not signing a player because he might get a bit of stick twice a season is a bit of a weird reason.
My point in reality is I don't think he has the mentality to come back and do it big in the prem

PieCrust

Coutinho is class, but he wouldn't come cheap and would be more of a luxury player for United. In a summer with serious holes that need to be filled with quality signings, this is one we're just not in a position to make.