Curious Case of Coutinho...

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Maybe we can loan him for one or two seasons, just like Bayern did with James or us with Tevez. Just give Barca 10-15 mil per season and pay his wages. He flopped spectacularly at Barca, IMO, they surely want him off, hopefully we can capitalize. :drool:

jesperjaap

If we are buying from Barca I prefer Dembele.
Agree completely. Dembele give us what we need as another right wing option. Coutinho is an excellent and hugely talented player, but dont see where he fits in to our side. As we already have young talented options such as Gomes who are similar and are tough to fit in to our side, this would money spent badly in my opinion. SOunds liek bs anyway as not quote or anythign concrete

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23
One of my favorite players in the game. Absolutely world class and I thought he would be an instant success at Barcelona.

All things considered I dont want us to sign him if that means we are not getting a RW. Coutinho is not a RW and that is the biggest hole in our squad at the moment. The idea of loaning him for a season or two is quite a good idea. We would add a great player and still have the money to sign players for other positions. Getting him would also mean that we had to offload some players with huge salaries. Sanchez and Mata would be a good start. Love Mata but his legs arw finisihed, we need to move on.

Let’s go full muppet. De Ligt, Sancho and Coutinho :devil:

Reactions: Sultan

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Coutinho is head and shoulders above Martial, even in that position.

Martial has huge potential but is over rated and Coutinho is far better at the moment. He might not be in his best form but he is still a top class player.
As a pure attacker, there's no chance he's better than Tony.

On the wider point, in a 4312 formation, he'd pribabkp be in half 9 position but I don't think it suits him as he doesn't really make any runs .

cyberman

He would be fantastic in the false 9 / split striker role that Lingard excels at.
Plus it's rare that we would have everyone fit to have a selection dilemma

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It's fake news, Coutinho wants out of Barca, and we are one of the few clubs who could afford him, throw a United Link in the mix and it hits the headlines, who's his agent BTW ?
Isnt it one of relatives?

Or is that Neymar?

RasTiaGba

He's a proven scorer in the EPL.

Players like Sancho, although having good Bundesliga performances, aren't guaranteed to perform in the EPL. Especially when he's only like 17 or 18 right now, and Coutinho is almost in his prime.

Why? Because look at Mkhitaryan's Dortmund statistics before he signed for United.

Tiber

The fact that he used to play for Liverpool shouldn't be a factor in any decision to sign him.

But signing a big name just because the opportunity came along didn't work out so well with Sanchez. Would have to fit exactly what we need

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He would be fantastic in the false 9 / split striker role that Lingard excels at.
Plus it's rare that we would have everyone fit to have a selection dilemma
Does he make enough runs off the ball to be as good as Lingard there?

cyberman

Does he make enough runs off the ball to be as good as Lingard there?
I think his passing range and goal threat more than makes up for that. It would just be a different dynamic with Coutinho in the side. The front two would be able to make a wider variety of runs and the danger of underperforming when Pogba is man marked will be lessened.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
The time to get someone like him was when he was leaving inter. The whole world knows what his ceiling is and what he’s about now and he’s not worth over 80 million to us given we definitely have a set budget. He’s good but we don’t need him. This is where having good scouts and a progressive manager really comes into play. Why do we have to always be in for Madrid and Barca’s failures. We need to start trying to lead the way not the other way around.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
If we can take him on loan with an option to buy, then that would be amazing deal. Otherwise it's a no.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
If we play in that 433 with the central attacker deeper than the other attackers then I think that Coutinho could be a great fit. My understanding is that you don't want him to be your game manager or a dynamo on the wing, a central role where he has to score and assist while players are running around him should be a good fit.

I know nothing about him as a person though, how he would fit into the team and the club.

Dion

He's just an inferior version of Pogba. We only have room for one positionless, roaming midfielder in the team.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Very classy player who would improve every squad in the world. We already have Pogba and Martial in the positions Coutinho has played his best football. We have other priority positions to fill.

reddaz71

Doubtful this is happening unless the club is bought by the Saudis, would be a bit of a luxury signing, however our need is for a RW first and foremost (Sancho).

shaky

He's a proven scorer in the EPL.

Players like Sancho, although having good Bundesliga performances, aren't guaranteed to perform in the EPL. Especially when he's only like 17 or 18 right now, and Coutinho is almost in his prime.

Why? Because look at Mkhitaryan's Dortmund statistics before he signed for United.
Countinho would be a far greater risk than Sancho in my opinion. You say he's almost in his prime, but prime is more than just an age, it's a level of performance too, and he appears to be miles away from his best at Barca these days. If we buy prime players, I expect them to be at the peak of their game, not another fixer-upper job that might take a year or two to come to fruition, if it does at all.
Daft to use Mkhi as an example. He joined a Utd team where almost everyone was playing well below their best. Probably more down to the manager than the league he came from.

El Jefe

Barcelona are looking for mugs to finance a move for De Ligt.

Devil may care

The Caf is obssessed with RW but I think Ole likes the diamond as it suits the strikers he has, but that requires another creative forward at the tip of the diamond be it a false 9 or #10, Coutinho could fill that role. Having said that he wouldn't be my first choice and I'd rather not fund Barca's de Ligt move, I'd rather we bought de Ligt and got a different player for the diamond role.

dogwithabone

When teams start playing 10 men behind the ball next season against us, its not going to be your Lingards, Herreras or Mctommys that will break them down.

Courtino would be ideal. Upgrade on Mata.
Agree with that. We desperately need this sort of player and with his sort of goal threat. As you say, an upgrade on Mata.

Cheekiey

You can look at it a few ways 1) funding Barca 2) Buying a genuine world class player

4312 is Ole's favoured formation, he'd suit the 1 behind the 2 strikers but as others have mentioned, I think I would prefer spending that kind of money on different options such as Dybala or Eriksen.

Edit: I'd actually like to see Martial given a go there

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
You can look at it a few ways 1) funding Barca 2) Buying a genuine world class player

4312 is Ole's favoured formation, he'd suit the 1 behind the 2 strikers but as others have mentioned, I think I would prefer spending that kind of money on different options such as Dybala or Eriksen.

Edit: I'd actually like to see Martial given a go there
or Havertz

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
If we’re being truthful the only way you sign Coutinho is if you sell Pogba or you commit to a diamond in every game.

Barca brought him without committing to playing a formation which suits him and he’s flopped.

He’s a quality player but tactically not sure he’s a good fit.
He’s best off returning to Liverpool who still haven’t replaced his creativity from midfield.

Last edited:

Irrational.

I think he's been exposed. Liverpool built the team around him and played to his strengths. He had a free role and a shoot on sight policy.

At Barca, with things more organised and playing with better players he doesn't look half the player.

sherrinford

If we’re being truthful the only way you sign Coutinho is if you sell Pogba and you commit to a diamond in every game.

Barca brought him without committing to playing a formation which suits him and he’s flopped.

He’s a quality player but tactically not sure he’s a good fit.
He’s best off returning to Liverpool who still haven’t replaced his creativity from midfield.
How so? Pogba isn’t played at the tip of the diamond so I don’t see why he would need to be sold to accommodate Coutinho in that formation. Ideally it would be one or the other (diamond midfield or no Pogba). There is a position in midfield at Barcelona that he is suited to but they play him out of position instead.

I think there is an argument for having both in the same midfield three, though. Coutinho is perfectly suited for the left-sided midfield position, and most advanced midfield role, in a three. He is very much a grafter, too. Pogba is much more comfortable operating from the right than the vast majority of right-footed, predominantly left-sided players, and as an attacking player in midfield he looks to deliberately play to a side. I’m not really aware of anyone who we could bring in for the right-sided midfield position who would be comfortable and effective operating from that side of the pitch in an attacking sense to balance the team. So although Pogba does seem to favour the left, playing him from the right could benefit us overall.

We need an rvn

Looks like Barca did a United and bought a player they liked but starred in a different position than where they actually wanted him to play.

My understanding of the signing was to replace iniesta who plays in a different position as to Coutinho. We've done that in the past too and often didn't get the best out of the player.

Like other posters have said, he'll thrive in a different team if they play to his strengths - but I don't see that being at United as it's not a position we need to strengthen as a priority

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
How so? Pogba isn’t played at the tip of the diamond so I don’t see why he would need to be sold to accommodate Coutinho in that formation. Ideally it would be one or the other (diamond midfield or no Pogba). There is a position in midfield at Barcelona that he is suited to but they play him out of position instead.

I think there is an argument for having both in the same midfield three, though. Coutinho is perfectly suited for the left-sided midfield position, and most advanced midfield role, in a three. He is very much a grafter, too. Pogba is much more comfortable operating from the right than the vast majority of right-footed, predominantly left-sided players, and as an attacking player in midfield he looks to deliberately play to a side. I’m not really aware of anyone who we could bring in for the right-sided midfield position who would be comfortable and effective operating from that side of the pitch in an attacking sense to balance the team. So although Pogba does seem to favour the left, playing him from the right could benefit us overall.
Sorry mate I meant ‘or’ you commit to a diamond every game.

Only way those two work is a diamond with Pogba LCM and Coutinho in the hole.

They wouldn’t work in a 3 man - too ill disciplined defensively.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Sorry mate I meant ‘or’ you commit to a diamond every game.

Only way those two work is a diamond with Pogba LCM and Coutinho in the hole.

They wouldn’t work in a 3 man - too ill disciplined defensively.
Remember him playing as LW for Liverpool but then again it's one more waste of player as we have good enough LW.

Like you said, unless we play diamond/4-3-1-2 we can't fit him and Pogba in same line up. Also too much money for a player who might not fit or makes us restricted when it comes to tactics.

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
One thing we need to avoid doing this summer is funding the transfer wallets of Madrid / Barca for one of their underperforming players.
This has happened far too often in recent years. The last absolute gem that ended up a bargain was Arjen Robben in 2009. Since then both clubs have made hundred of millions by selling mediocre crap like Morata for prices as high as 80M.