Current starting line up

Allas8

First XI looks ready to challenge for 6th with Everton and Leicester.
Lindelof is much much better then Maguire. I rather have Gomes over Maddison, you could see in the U21 Euro this summer just how overrated Maddison is. Tielemans is nowhere close to Pogba. Wan-Bissaka>Ricardo Pereira. Phil Jones is, and always will be better then Jonathan Evans. I take Rashford over Vardy any day of the week. Dan James would walk into the Leicester starting XI.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Why is Bailly in anyone's lineup? :houllier:

K13

No idea because we have only had 2 pre-season games which is not enough to assess the tactical and technical quality of the players hoping to break into the squad. However we should have a strong match day squad now with plenty of options to tactically tweaks things dependent on the opposition. Chelsea will be a tough fixture especially if Lampard plays Kante where he is world class and there will not be a lot of chances or space if that happens.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Ddg-AWB, Lindelof, Bailly, Shaw- Matic, Fred- Martial, Pogba, Alexis- Lukaku is what i would want to see.

Ole sees:
DDG-AWB, Lindelof, Jones, Shaw- Matic, McT- Martial, Pogba, Lingard- Rashford.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Ddg-AWB, Lindelof, Bailly, Shaw- Matic, Fred- Martial, Pogba, Alexis- Lukaku is what i would want to see.
Why would you want to see Alexis, Lukaku, Fred, Bailly and Matic? Experience? These are the players that have the least amount of good will left from last season and a lot to prove. I'd like us to try something new and get the young guys involved early in a style that potentially could be implemented throughout the club for years.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
It’s like they haven’t seen him play in 2 years. Smalling is twice the defender he is.
You are so right about that. Smalling is a decent and consistent defender.
Bailly could be decent but is highly inconsistent.

Havak

Pokemon master
At the moment:

De Gea
Wan-Bissaka Smalling Lindelof Shaw
McTominay Matic
James Pogba Martial
Rashford​

Is the kind of side I'd expect us to field against Chelsea on the first day, unless more signings come in ie. Maguire, Longstaff, Bruno. I don't think Pogba will be deployed closer to a no.10 role very often, especially if we signed someone like Bruno, but if the squad that we have right now is similar come August then against a top six side I think we'd start with a bit more security like this.

I'm interested to see how the youth players do, but I will maintain my thought that Greenwood, Chong, Gomes and maybe even Tuanzebe are a two year process under Ole, bedding them into our first team squad. If they all make 10+ appearances in all competitions, assuming we play well in your excess of 50 games, I think that will be incredible progress given the size of our squad.

Allas8

You are so right about that. Smalling is a decent and consistent defender.
Bailly could be decent but is highly inconsistent.
Smalling about to be booted out of the club, agaisnt Tottenham you will see Tuanzebe and Bailly starting together in the central defense.

hocane

----------------DDG-----------------

AWB------Bailly--Lindelof--Shaw

------Fred--McTominay--Pogba------

James------Greenwood----Martial/Chong

Yes. I am sick and tired of Rashford. He is too wasteful and got too many mistakes in him. Greenwood is already on the same level as him and he's a better finisher and got better movement in the box.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Why would you want to see Alexis, Lukaku, Fred, Bailly and Matic? Experience? These are the players that have the least amount of good will left from last season and a lot to prove. I'd like us to try something new and get the young guys involved early in a style that potentially could be implemented throughout the club for years.
Because i think( so imo, not that i am right or something like that):
1) We don't have rw. I refuse to believe that Alexis is finished so i believe that he is far better option there than James or Mata and especially than Lingard
2) Bailly is better than Jones, Rojo and Smalling
3) From our midfield options i think that Fred and Matic are the best for two mc positions( not counting Pogba and not saying that they are something special but they are better than McT and Pereira
4) Lukaku is our best striker. On no9 position i believe in him far more than in Rashford

Having said that, all that are exactly positions which i would improve with new players

K13

Yes. I am sick and tired of Rashford. He is too wasteful and got too many mistakes in him. Greenwood is already on the same level as him and he's a better finisher and got better movement in the box.
Greenwood has played 3 PL games (215 minutes), 1 CL game for 3 minutes and won u18 England Caps
Rashford has played 111 PL games (6,710 minutes), 18 CL games (1068 minutes), 16 FA Cup (1085 minutes) and 14 European league (992) and has 32 England Caps

Greenwood is definitely not at Rashford's level at the moment. He may never be, or he may surpass it. Potential can go both ways.

This is pre-season. The youngsters have this one chance to be part of the squad or be farmed out on loan. The likes of Rashford know they are in the squad and they have a completely different agenda. They are not bothered about performing / peaking in a friendly. They need to be ready for the main event - the 38 league games and the Europa league.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Because i think( so imo, not that i am right or something like that):
1) We don't have rw. I refuse to believe that Alexis is finished so i believe that he is far better option there than James or Mata and especially than Lingard
2) Bailly is better than Jones, Rojo and Smalling
3) From our midfield options i think that Fred and Matic are the best for two mc positions( not counting Pogba and not saying that they are something special but they are better than McT and Pereira
4) Lukaku is our best striker. On no9 position i believe in him far more than in Rashford

Having said that, all that are exactly positions which i would improve with new players
I see. Honestly I have higher hopes for one or two of our youngster to displace Mata and Lingard than Sanchez, but obviously if Sanchez comes out firing then it would give us a real boost this season. Lukaku gets a bit undervalued at times but at the same time, with out new style of play I think it is time to move on, imo. He has regressed since his days in Everton and I don't see how he'll fit in our team currently. I'd rather play without a striker than have our fullbacks playing long balls to him which always seems to happen when he plays, no matter the instructions.

RedNed77

——————-DdG——————
AWB-Smalling-Lindelof-Shaw
———-McTominay-Fred———-
—Greenwood-Pogba-Martial—
—————-Rashford—————

Subs: Romero, Dalot, Tuanzebe, Pereira, Gomes, Chong, Lukaku (or whoever replaces him)

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Smalling about to be booted out of the club, agaisnt Tottenham you will see Tuanzebe and Bailly starting together in the central defense.
Three different players in defence. What could possibly go wrong.
To be fair I can understand picking Bailly as one good thing he has is pace. If he is going to become a regular he will need to be less injury prone and far far more reliable.

Josep Dowling

4-2-3-1 works but I don’t think we can have Pogba in the midfield two. In the past this has been an issue for us as he doesn’t track back and our defence gets exposed.

We need to holding midfielders with Pogba as the number 10 and that’s why I don’t understand why we are after Bruno Fernandes. Having already lost Fellaini and Herrera I am amazed we aren’t linked with a defensive midfielder.

I hope to see more of Greenwood. Looks a real talent and scary to think he’s only 17. I just hope we use him as a striker rather than shifting him to RW because we haven’t bought anyone for that position.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Was quite concerned with the starting 11 in today's game vs. Inter. Back 4 was perfect, given players we have today (even though I hope we buy Maguire or an older experienced CB as a backup for Tuanzebe), but further up... I really hope that is not what Ole sees as our strongest lineup.

I think few here would have any doubt that McT should be starting instead of Matic, every single time. Not even a competition. Matic is barely a good backup, he should have been sold if anybody wanted to buy him, there is no way he should be starting ahead of McT in the great form that McT is in. Lingrad is incossitent and acts like a clown. Unless we sign somebody better soon, Mata as 10 should be starting. And I would argue that Mason Greenwood in this preseason has shown every sign of deserving stating spot way ahead of Martial... Martial should probably be rotating with Dan James, since Dan is still very young and cannot play every game.

Last edited:

Santoryo

ripping the reward
People putting the entire front 3 and midfield bar Pogba of academy players are having a laugh. It's good the kids are performing in pre season but let's not be misguided and think they're ready to be players to rely on right now.

The only kid I'd say need heavy involvement in the first team right now is Greenwood, while someone like Gomez can work his way up into the first team slowly. The rest simply aren't ready and should be thrown into cups here and there.

dutchred

New
DDG

AWB Smalling Lindelof Shaw

Fred McTominay Pogba

Gomes

Greenwood Rashford

K13

Lukaku gets a bit undervalued at times but at the same time, with out new style of play I think it is time to move on, imo. He has regressed since his days in Everton and I don't see how he'll fit in our team currently. I'd rather play without a striker than have our fullbacks playing long balls to him which always seems to happen when he plays, no matter the instructions.
I think he can play all 3 forward positions and rotate during the game as Ole does not appear to want set positions. He wants a fluid forward line.

Lukaku's final third passing is very underrated and we saw some real quality from him last season that some observers had not seen before.

He has done so much but I do think the next few years will be his peak ones and I enjoy watching him play. I like all our forwards from last season and they are just a game away from picking up form because the ability is there in abundance.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Against Chelsea, provided we don't pick up any injuries, I think it'll be:
De Gea
Wan Bissaka - Smalling - Lindelof - Shaw
Lingard - McTominay - Pogba
Greenwood - Rashford - Martial
2nd XI/rotation teams when we play Europa or the league cup will be:
Romero
Dalot - Tuanzebe - Jones - Young
Mata - Matic - Pereira
James - Greenwood/Sanchez - Chong
Gomes rotating in there as well. Greenwood won't start every game, but I think he'll start the first game. He's only 17, his games will need managing for sure, so I think his more regular starts will be in those smaller games, but that's fine. Important not to overdo it.

RedDevilRoshi

We’ve played 4-2-3-1 in all our pre-season games so far. It’s pretty safe to say that is going to be the formation we line up with this season. I’ve watched all 3 games and from what I’ve seen this would be my starting 11 from who has impressed me, even though Ole will probably go with more experience:

DDG

AWB
Tuanzebe
Lindelof
Shaw

McTominay
Pogba

Greenwood
Gomes
Chong

Rashford

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
We’ve played 4-2-3-1 in all our pre-season games so far. It’s pretty safe to say that is going to be the formation we line up with this season. I’ve watched all 3 games and from what I’ve seen this would be my starting 11 from who has impressed me, even though Ole will probably go with more experience:

DDG

AWB
Tuanzebe
Lindelof
Shaw

McTominay
Pogba

Greenwood
Gomes
Chong

Rashford
Chong is nowhere near ready to play. Out on loan is the best option. Gomes could play in cup and Europa League or on rotation. Martial and Dan James will have more prominent roles than what you have featured here, for sure. Greenwood should be given a lot of chances - agree.

Highfather_24

DDG

AWB
Smalling
Lindelof
Shaw

Matic
McTominay
Pogba

Lingard
Martial
Rashford

I believe we need to sign another CB and another CM. To take up Smalling and Matic's place respectively. Then we would have a decent squad. Get Sancho in next summer and we will be golden.

RedDevilRoshi

Chong is nowhere near ready to play. Out on loan is the best option. Gomes could play in cup and Europa League or on rotation. Martial and Dan James will have more prominent roles than what you have featured here, for sure. Greenwood should be given a lot of chances - agree.

As I said, I’m only going with what I’ve seen so far in the 3 pre-season games. I know Ole is going to choose a more experienced eleven.

Santoryo

ripping the reward

DDG

AWB
Tuanzebe
Lindelof
Shaw

McTominay
Pogba

Greenwood
Gomes
Chong

Rashford
No offense but when I see posts like these I wonder whether it's just heat of the moment excitement or just pure ignorance.

I don't believe anyone in their right mind would ever suggest something like that as our starting line up going into the season. This is downright ridiculous.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Out of all the kid the one who has shown enough talent to be heavily involved with the first team this season is only Greenwood. Experience wise he isn't ready yet but he has shown tremendous talent that should allow him to be given plenty opportunities with the first team. The rest just aren't there yet.

And even with the rest I'd say Gomez can slowly work his way into the first team but this season he should mostly be limited to cup games. Chong isn't anywhere near ready. Good showing for him yesterday but he's lacking a lot for now. Same for the rest.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Don't know about current lineup but in a few years if our young players keep improving
Rashford
Greenwood
Chong
Dalot
Awb
Henderson
Tuanzebe
James
Gomes
McTominay
<Someone>

Some proper young players we got there!

talking robot

I'd like to see this vs. Chelsea

--------------De Gea-------------
AWB--Smalling---Lindelof---Shaw
------McTominay----Fred---
--------------Pogba-------------
-Greenwood---Rashford----Martial

With Sanchez and James off the bench if we need a goal,
and Matic off the bench if we need to keep a lead

RedDevilRoshi

No offense but when I see posts like these I wonder whether it's just heat of the moment excitement or just pure ignorance.

I don't believe anyone in their right mind would ever suggest something like that as our starting line up going into the season. This is downright ridiculous.

As I said in my opening paragraph. I’m only basing it on what I’ve seen in the 3 pre-season games. I know Ole is going to choose a more experienced XI.

NoPace

Martial-------Rashford---------------
------------------#10------------RW
----------Pogba-----------------------
---------------McTominay------------
Shaw-Lindelof-Tuanzebe-WanBissaka
-------------DeGea----------------------

or else it's 5th-7th, and that's giving McTominay and Tuanzebe the benefit of the doubt since they do at least already have the physical characteristics to play in the Prem. If we were serious about pushing Spurs for 3rd we'd have replacements for them too.

I also wouldn't rule out Martial or Rashford going on a scoreless streak to start the season and Sanchez or even Greenwood starting up top or out wide as a result.

Grande

4-2-3-1 again, Pogba in the pivot again. It worked pretty well too. Looks like that is plan A. Lingard and Mata as no 10 today. Both did fairly well against Inter, but I was hoping to see more of Gomes in that positon.

Fred (after his usual giving the ball away with an early pass) impressed me. He’s going to be tested with Pogba in midfield, I expect.

Mike Phelan's Former Tash

If there are no further signings I'd be happy to see this vs Chelsea:

De Gea
AWB. Tuanzebe. Lindelof. Shaw
McTominay
Peirera. Pogba
Greenwood. Martial
Rashford