Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Well, based on what I saw at the World Cup I didn't really see a top level player in him. I'm of the belief that we'll need a really good player in his position to compete at for the title and in the CL, which is where we want to be.

I'm not alone in thinking he was poor today. He got beat to the ball and dribbled past too much. He's certainly a hard worker and is calm in possession, but I just think he lacks the next bit. The physical side/aggression in defence and the quality on the ball. He's like a hybrid of Fletcher and Carrick, but not as good at either in what they bring.
Agree with the last bit but think he's more effective than you're giving him credit for. Seriously, compare his stats with Matic and Fabregas from today's game. You'll be surprised. And he's only getting used to the PL too. For a newbie he's actually doing really well.

itso 7

If ever there was going to be a game where his lack of pace and physicality was going to be exploited it was this one, yet he held his own in that midfield and played a very solid game. There were one or two times when Hazard skipped past him, but Hazard can do that to anyone.
This and I don't know what people expect of him, to stop every attack single handedly ? Even though today Fellaini supported him well. Chelsea's attacking players have overrun and will do so again against better midfields with more robust DMs than Blind. To put up the figures that @Pogue posted in a match of this nature is a very good achievement on his part. And it's good to remember that this is only his sixth match in this league and without the benefit of a preseason.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I'm not sure why people are obsessed with pointing out Blind's size and physical capabilities. We get it, he's not the size of Matic. But does it really matter? He holds his own very well, his positional awareness puts him 2 steps ahead of opposition, he's always in the right place at the right time when salvaging balls, his concentration is relentless, his decision making is solid, he's extremely vocal, shields the defence intelligently, he is very comfortable on the ball, always available for a pass to get the defence/forward transition going and Van gaal loves him. He's got everything you want in a DM. Unfortunately, most of the work that a DM does is not directly visible to people unless they really observe him. The only thing directly visible is how fast he runs and how big he is, and that is a very ignorant way to judge a player of his intelligence. Carrick is a lot bigger and quicker than Blind yet his biggest complaint was how 'soft' he was in midfield, so it isn't how big you are, it's about how imposing you are in your actions and decisions. If you're still unconvinced, Scholes is 10cm shorter than Blind and he never had a problem with physicality in midfield :devil:

McMarmite

He reads the game so well. We lost the ball and he saw the centre backs open up and dropped in the middle.

This guy will be our captain soon, aslong as a more flashier player won't come n replace him

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The stats back it up though. Haven't checked today's game but was getting stick for being ineffective against WBA yet stats revealed he was by far the most influential CM on the pitch.

EDIT: Just checked. More passes, more accurately than any other CM today. By a margin.
That doesn't particularly surprise me as I thought he was at least decent today and has been good generally since he arrived.

I just prefer it when people point to actual evidence (be it stats, incidents from the game or whatever) rather than just saying "he does a lot of work you don't see and is at his best when he is invisible" as it's a fairly lazy argument. People do actually regularly notice these supposedly unnoticeable attributes.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Hes one of those players that no one will really make any comments about, because he makes everything work and tick along. If that makes sense.

thejtrain

Hes one of those players that no one will really make any comments about, because he makes everything work and tick along. If that makes sense.
Exactly. And if I have to comment, he passes the ball forward enough and has got a decent shot in him apart from doing the basics right, so can't really ask for more. Happy with the signing.

ZDwyr

That is how I am towards him. I didn't notice him a whole lot which is probably a good thing - though not always. He's an important part of the team though. Fellaini seems to play better in a box-to-box role when he has Blind worrying more about the defensive duties and just sitting deep. He will probably be taken out when Carrick is fit or we sign Strootman but he'll be a good player for us in the long run I think.

adamwest

Well, based on what I saw at the World Cup I didn't really see a top level player in him. I'm of the belief that we'll need a really good player in his position to compete at for the title and in the CL, which is where we want to be.

I'm not alone in thinking he was poor today. He got beat to the ball and dribbled past too much. He's certainly a hard worker and is calm in possession, but I just think he lacks the next bit. The physical side/aggression in defence and the quality on the ball. He's like a hybrid of Fletcher and Carrick, but not as good at either in what they bring.
Absolute tosh this is mate.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
He needs a partner so that he's not doing all the defensive work himself. We're so open because we've only got one bloke screening the back four so I think we need Carrick alongside him, at least until we sign Strootman or whoever.

Aside from that though, he's exceptionally tidy on the ball and if given time will always pick the right option which is nice to see. I do think his complete lack of right foot harms him at times though, he could play in some decent passes if he had one.

Did notice today that he (and Smalling actually) were playing the Carrick-esque low ball through a crowd of players, fired into a striker. Those type of passes are vital for the attacking pace of the team and when done right really put the opposition on the back foot and open opportunities. Great stuff to see.

Djemba-Djemba

I thought he played well, I'm a big fan of his actually. I think his worst game was West Brom and even then he popped up with a vital goal.

For the first time in years we held our own in midfield against a top side and I think Blind played a big part in that.

SirAF

Ageist
But then wouldn't you rather have that World Class midfielder and Herrera, who is obviously better than Blind?
I would have that world class midfielder next to Herrera and Blind behind them. As for di Maria, I would like to see him out wide, or in a pure attacking role.

Devil may care

Heh. As I thought. So annoying when people pre-judge signings.
I admit I pre-judged him, I was negative all summer about the possibility of signing him as I thought he looked too slow and weak for the PL. So far I'd say he's done very well and seems to have some leadership qualities about him. My only point would be that we shouldn't draw a line under his name as if that role in the team is sorted, we need to add competitive depth in midfield IMO.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I would have that world class midfielder next to Herrera and Blind behind them. As for di Maria, I would like to see him out wide, or in a pure attacking role.
We won't be wasting di Maria out wide.

Rafabio

I thought he played well, I'm a big fan of his actually. I think his worst game was West Brom and even then he popped up with a vital goal.

For the first time in years we held our own in midfield against a top side and I think Blind played a big part in that.
This. This. This!

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Hardly knew he was playing for most of the game, but in this type of game that is to be expected. He plays the role for the team that no one notices at the time, allowing other flashier players more freedom while giving us a solid based to build on. He really is the type of player that we won't realise how important he is to how the team plays until he is missing I feel, much like Carrick when he first arrived.

Though the key for me, is that we actually managed to match on of the top teams in midfield for the first time in a long time. His contribution goes a long way in allowing this to happen.

legball

I don't know what game you lot were watching, and why do we like to slate our players so much? He was very good in that one man midfield, and he sat just in front of the back four and passed it out nicely. He's a fantastic player and good enough for the first team, put someone like Vidal [a true warrior and ball winner] next to him and you'll appreciate him more. He's not going to boss games physically, but he'll do it in another way, by dropping off, picking up the ball from CB's and starting attacks, and i noticed that whenever Rojo was out of position, he dropped into CB, he wasn't unnoticed, he had a very effective game.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Blind was the signing I wanted all summer..

Nice and tidy, disciplined, good vision and positionally aware...

Being a long time since I seen a United midfield hold their own against a top team.

We'll get there guys

Imagine a Carrick, Blind and Felliani( if he keeps his form up, have my doubts) midfield

OldTrevil

Had this feeling all game and it had me at such a welcome ease. I didn't have to pull my hair out at the utter lack of basics and cowardliness in midfield like years past.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Very intelligent player, I like him a lot. His movement, anticipation are very good and he always makes himself available for a pass which is great to see.

lysglimt

Scout
But then wouldn't you rather have that World Class midfielder and Herrera, who is obviously better than Blind?
Defensively - Blind is much better than Herrera. As a playmaker/attacking midfielder - Herrera is much better than Blind. So who to use depends on what kind of world class midfielder we have next to them.

What impresses me the most about Blind - is a) his composure on the ball and b) his intelligence. He passes the ball around and hardly ever puts a foot wrong - and he is very good at picking up opponents running into our box.

CuCullhan

Lets get the bad out of the way fist....err... he is slow and.... he did.......... hmmmmm, not so easy this one, I'll come back to it.

Needs help, Fellaini Di Maria and Mata were good but all at the other end of the pitch. Apart from him being slow that we all know about. He seems to have no weakness, passed well, reads the game well, covered well, worked hard, pushed on when needed and linked up the play well. All of this we know so what am i missing? Oh yes the bad.... He has floppy hair! Gets in his ears and he cant hear the other players.

Anybody with weird hair cant play ball, look at Fellaini he... no, not him anymore, ahhh Best, he had floppy hair too and he was... well no suppose not! Bobby Charlton he had no hair surely he.... no not him either. I''l find one example sooner or later. Steve Bruce ahhh yes, a center half with a mullet type thing, defenders cant play ball or get anywhere near 20 goals a seas..... hmmm not him either. I will find one leave it with me. Law had flowing locks? Beckham had floppy hair? Giggs too? Even Keane had mad Hair! Ruud now he had floppy hair too but you see he was Dutch, he could get away with that. If blind was Dutch there'd be no issue with his hair. Like RVP he's Dutch, with his Badger style. They are all a bit mad over there. Nobody would take any notice. Told ya I'd find something

We won't be wasting di Maria out wide.
Buddy Di Maria would never be wasted anywhere at Old Trafford, as long as he was given the freedom and courage to go an play.

hardikrajgor123

The crowd were actually nervous when he kept passing it around with De Gea and the back four but he's so calm on the ball. He played it around with them and started a lot of United's moves passing the ball around. That was the trouble last season, the defense had to put in many long balls cos they didn't have anyone in THAT position who would take it forward. He's always making smart runs and ready to accept a pass. A very intelligent footballer.

I thought he was excellent today, stepped his game up to another level. He made more passes, more accurately than any other midfielder on the pitch, and all against the best team in the country. If true the 100% second half completion stat is ridiculous against Matic, Fabregas and Oscar.

The first step to improving our game is to learn to build attacks from defence and avoid the long ball, and he is the perfect player for that. Always drops to pick up a pass, always turns to bring the ball forward, but he's intelligent enough to keep recycling it amongst the defenders if the forward option is too risky, and wait to draw the opposition in. Carrick imo is too keen to play it forward at all times.

Im looking forward to see a midfield containing Blind, Carrick (Strootman) and Herrera.

Donut

He's doing very well, and there's no reason for him not to improve, he's only 24 & playing in a new league.

Him & Carrick will give us a really solid base in games like yesterday's.

NK86

You see Blind and then see Cleverley and Ando who seem to hide behind the opponents to avoid getting the ball. Perfect replacement for Carrick.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Finally we have someone who drops back and brings the ball forward. We no longer have these huge gaps between defenders and midfielders which results in hoofing the ball forward

McMarmite

Its interesting. If we can go in to january or next season with blind fellaini herrera di maria and one or 2 more additions, we could pick and chose a midfield that matches the needs of a variety of matches.

Will Singh

Unsung hero!

What he does for us ain't flash, it won't lift us of our seats, it won't make us go wow!

BUT for me he was one of our best players out there against Chelsea, his positional awareness, intelligent passing makes him a outstanding player. Yes he ain't big and ain't aggressive enough but his only played a handful of games in the PL!! If his playing like that after a few games then surely he can only get better with more experience?

I was sceptical when we bought him but out of all our signings excluding ADM, Blind has done execeptionally well!

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
I think he's one of the really big positives from today.

When accompanied by an actual midfield and not a bunch of attackers he's shown, against top class opposition, that he can help stifle them. Bar a few defensive, individual errors we looked quite comfortable defending our area I thought and Blind/Fellaini did a very good job of stifling Chelsea's midfield.