g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Daley Blind image 17

Daley Blind Netherlands flag

2014-15 Performances

View full 2014-15 profile

6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Nice to see him proving so many of you wrong. As I said before, the Falcao and Di Maria signings completely overshadowed his signing, however I wouldn't be surprised if he was just as big of a signing as both of them, absolute key signing for me.

A lot of people like to shit on our defence but I still feel a big issue we've had is no protection in front of them which has made them look worst than what they are. Blind suits this role perfectly, sitting right in front of the defence. It also gives Herrera some freedom to roam forward which ultimately will help the entire team.

This. Fletcher couldn’t provide any cover for the defence, I think they will be much better now with Blind ahead of the defenders. Plus, Rafael and Shaw will make huge difference on both ends of the pitch.

The thing with Blind is that his best role is defensive midfielder with two energetic players in Herrera and Di Maria ahead of him. That’s why they looked very well together- they’ve played in their preferred positions.

I am of the opinion that his lack of physical attributes will be a problem- at least until he adapts to the EPL. Time will tell how he does under pressure but he does look Busquets-esque in his style so I remain optimistic. Carrick is pretty shite under pressure, but the movement up front and midfielders keen to carry the ball forward make a huge difference for deep lying playmaker, as far as their passing options are concerned. Of course that doesn’t apply if you are playing hot potato game like some of our midfielders in the past.

Definite similarities with Carrick, although Blind appears to be more mobile. It's no coincidence that his presence coincided with a better performance in terms of possession and ball retention. Most noticeable aspect of his performance was that he's always available to receive the ball - he's an unfussy player when it comes to passing the ball, but he takes the pressure off his team mates by providing an easy short option and he's economical, moving it on quickly to keep the tempo up. Also noticeable how Evans and Blackett went long a lot less than against Burnley - that's because Blind took up intelligent positions to take the ball from them.

A couple of journos have referred to him as a continuity player in the papers, I'd say that's the perfect description of him. Going to be a very important, under the radar player for us.
Don't think he has the passing range or 2 footedness of Carrick but seems more nimble footed on the ball.
He is similar to carrick in terms of intelligence and positioning. He definitely is more mobile, but I don’t think his passing is on Michael’s level. Definitely not so two footed.

His game is Carrick-esque only with less hesitation on the ball (unless we’re talking about short periods of top-form Carrick).

I love how he turns his head around to see his options all the time, a trait of the best midfielders in the game. He does look like a natural midfielder.

Bloedrood

The thing with Blind is that it's certain he will improve. I don't think that physically speaking he is the most naturally gifted. He doesn't have the most athletic body, not that strong or explosive or fast. He's more of a diesel who will just keep going. Won't give up and will keep working his ass off. Even if he's failing as a player, he'll only work harder. He's very strong mentally and will do anything he can to succeed with us. He struggled at first at Ajax, whistled by their supporters, written off by most people. But he worked harder, trained harder, untill he succeeded. It's why he's so well respected at Ajax now, and kind of a **** figure.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
Really reminded me of Gareth Barry with his performance. And thats not a criticism as I rate Barry more than most.

Very good performance

itso 7

Blind is going to be LvG's Roy Keane. Not so much in terms of quality (although DB is already an important part of the team setup), but in terms of being the manager's representative on the pitch.

Keano chimed with SAF's philosophy just like Blind will chime with van Gaal's. I can really see him leading by example on the pitch.
I could have sworn I heard Cleverley claim he was Van Gaal's type of midfielder, really Tom!

WyoManU

I've watched the match again and was even more impressed the second time at showing with Blind. He was pretty much always where he needed to be when it was required. He won the ball and his distribution was stellar. His passes seemed to always be struck with confidence and perfect weight. They are the types of balls that then make the receiver push on in a similar fashion, building the tempo of our game. I think his range of passing might be a little lower than Carrick, but at 24, I can easily see him benching Carrick because I think he will bring a lot more to the team overall and will provide a much higher work rate.

Gorefest

I think you will find yourself mistaken in his passing range. He kept it fairly modest this time around with mainly 'safe' passes over fairly short distances, but one of the things he was known for with Ajax were his long crosses. Just think back to the beautifully p(l)aced ball on Van Persie in the WC match against Spain. He probably just held back due to it being his debut and he didn't want to make silly mistakes.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
Said in when I was in the Newbie section as I have watched this guy at least 10 times live for Ajax last season when I was living in Holland and he suits us down to the ground. We have the creativity to open up teams we just lacked a player to sit and shield the defense and build our attacks and Blind is perfect for that. He may not be our best player but he is our most important. I said he will shock a lot of people with how good he is and was happy we bought him he is not as good a midfielder as Vidal but is what we need to protect the defense
When you saw him, how did you rate him physically? How do you think he'll stand up to someone like Toure?

thepolice123

He was the only defensive midfielder. Ajax played a 3 midfield with 1 DM and 2 attacking midfielders. And they played possession football, Blind was pivotal as far as ball circulation goes. If their central defenders were under pressure and struggling with build up play then they'd push out wide to the flanks and Blind would drop deep inbetween them to become the first station to improve build up and ball circulation from there.

His father used to be hard as nails as a player. I haven't seen much of that from Daley at Ajax, but I wouldn't be surprised if English football brings that out of him. I also think he played it more safe yesterday than he used to at Ajax. He's capable of good through passes, or a good long pass. Might see more of that against opponents that don't sit back. But with growing confidence, and as he improves, he should become a more dominant player.
Good to hear that. He really needs to add a bit more physical presence to his game. Our midfield is pretty lightweight and looks culpable to being bullied.

Carrick's neither a tough tackler or aggressive player, but he's a big lad with some aerial presence about him.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I think you will find yourself mistaken in his passing range. He kept it fairly modest this time around with mainly 'safe' passes over fairly short distances, but one of the things he was known for with Ajax were his long crosses. Just think back to the beautifully p(l)aced ball on Van Persie in the WC match against Spain. He probably just held back due to it being his debut and he didn't want to make silly mistakes.
In fairness his job was probably to keep it simple passing wise, he always had Herrera and di Maria in support anyway. God it's been so long since we've had a proper midfield.

wonnie

I like his style - very neat and easy on the eye but also defensively astute and hardworking. Pretty much provides the perfect platform for the more attacking CMs like Herrera and Di Maria.

Against the bigger teams he may need an extra body alongside him but nothing to be worried about at this stage.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
I can only think that we genuinely had interest in Vidal. Once we decided against him or he decided against us, we pulled the trigger on Blind.
I'm inclined to agree with this I think. Although in no way is Blind a replacement for Vidal (as in, they are completely different players).

Only alternative is LVG genuinely wanted to give time to his players (e.g. Fletcher) before realising and deciding they were not competent enough.

Ole90+3

One things that was more noticeable than others yesterday was how he seems to always know who is open and who the best passing option is. This leads me to believe that he will be able to cope with high pressure opponents pretty well.

He is obviously an intelligent footballer, which I think we have been severely lacking. To be honest, I think Van Gaal has made a point about bringing in more intelligent players.

It wasn't a surprise that Blind was able to come straight into the system and play his normal game. He understands Van Gaal's philosophy and is smart enough to execute instructions

I get the feeling Blind will be the first name down on the team sheet every week.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Good to hear that. He really needs to add a bit more physical presence to his game. Our midfield is pretty lightweight and looks culpable to being bullied.

Carrick's neither a tough tackler or aggressive player, but he's a big lad with some aerial presence about him.
Carrick was always good at intercepting the ball though and reads the game well. Not to mention if he has time on ball he can put a ball 40 yards onto a five pence piece

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
More mobile than Carrick but I would worry when he was defending vs the likes of Costa, Lukaku, Adebayor against whom Caarrick can at least compete. Will be interesting to see who is 1st choice once Carrick is back. I would go with Carrick for extra solidity and IMO , a little better technical quality, and occasionally penetrating passing. Blind vs teams that we are dominating should be the 1st choice DM he is perfect for the rest of the midfield.
I would go with both Carrick, Herrera and Blind against tougher opposition, with Di Maria ahead of them and a choice of two from Rooney/Mata/RvP/Falcao

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Does anyone know what car he has? On the way to the game yesterday an absolutely mint Mercedes SLS drove past me with blacked out windows and a Dutch Number Plate and as LVG drives a right wheel drive car and he's the only other Dutch person to live in Manchester I've come to the conclusion it was him.

KiD MoYeS

I don't think our defenders hoofed one useless ball yesterday, and it was all because of this man.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
Does anyone know what car he has? On the way to the game yesterday an absolutely mint Mercedes SLS drove past me with blacked out windows and a Dutch Number Plate and as LVG drives a right wheel drive car and he's the only other Dutch person to live in Manchester I've come to the conclusion it was him.
It was definitely him. There's no doubt about it. Don't take my word for it though, I spent 5 mins laughing at the turn back tony gif from Burnley.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I don't think our defenders hoofed one useless ball yesterday, and it was all because of this man.
Even Di Maria and Herrera took turns plenty times dropping deep to receive the ball out of defense, we had atleast one midfielder showing for the ball out of defense all game long. Refreshing experience after watching Cleverley hide himself between four players to avoid taking responsibility.

KiD MoYeS

It was Rene. Looking for a job.

SirFergie

Good piece on Daley being our most important signing this season goo.gl/c9DznL

What had appeared so straightforward during an unbeaten pre-season campaign has proven rather difficult for Manchester United over the past few weeks, with two draws the sum total of their points haul from the opening three games of the Premier League season. Yet, despite those woes, there is positivity around Old Trafford at present following late transfer activity that sent out a significant statement of intent. The arrivals of Angel di Maria and Radamel Falcao, in particular, were largely unexpected and, indeed, potentially season-changing.

However, for all the quality that new manager Louis van Gaal has brought in over the summer, it is perhaps the club's cheapest purchase of the window—Daley Blind—who could have the biggest impact on what the team can seek to achieve in the weeks and months ahead. The central midfield area has been an issue of United's for some time and, even in Van Gaal's 3-4-1-2 system—designed to lessen the burden on that department—it has proved a continued concern.

Much spotlight was put on the team's overeagerness to play long-balls against Burnley in United's last fixture, with just under 20 percent of all the side's passes hit long. Given Van Gaal's much stated preference for a high-tempo, possession-based system it was somewhat bemusing and supporters were rightfully concerned. Youngster Tyler Blackett was one player singled out as overly keen to play the ball long rather than seek a more simple option, but all too often there were few avenues available.

Of United's 10 most common passing combinations this season, nine comprise solely members of the six-man defensive unit (including goalkeeper David de Gea). The Red Devils have not had an issue retaining possession, averaging an impressive 58.9 percent of the ball, but it would seem they have struggled to move the ball out of the defensive line. That only six sides have created less clear-cut chances this campaign would also suggest that their more creative players have been far from involved in the right areas of the pitch.

That is not to let those attacking options off the hook and, indeed, the signings of both Falcao and Di Maria will do much to address what has been at times this season a slow and ponderous unit. However, such talents must still be given the ball in attacking quarters and defences must be stretched. United may not have been helped by injuries to both Ander Herrera and Michael Carrick, but those deputising in midfield should have offered far more. Van Gaal's is a system of stretching play by maximising the width of the field through fast passing exchanges. Thus far, it hasn't been implemented.

What the Dutchman saw in his opening competitive games must surely have convinced him that a move for Blind was a priority. The zest with which United had played on tour had been lost and, when put under pressure, the midfield was creaking. While attempts for a dominant Arturo Vidal or Kevin Strootman figure are on hold, Blind will do much to ease the burden on the defence when it comes to distribution from the back.

His task will be a simple one, to collect the ball from the centre-backs and bring those around him—the Matas, Herreras, Di Marias—into play in the attacking half of the pitch. A converted left-back, he was excellent in a defensive midfield role for Ajax last campaign and, when used there, for Netherlands at the World Cup. For what he lacks in pace, Blind compensates for in intelligence and reading of the game.

Whether United opt to remain in their current system or switch to a 4-3-1-2 diamond setup as has been suggested in some quarters, improving distribution will be key to unlocking the side's attacking potential. As previously unavailable players return, the side will inevitably improve but Van Gaal still saw the need to sign a new midfield anchor as he seeks to fully impose his philosophy at Old Trafford.

Blind, a pupil of his school of thought, will be central to that system and it is he, rather than the eye-catching signings higher up the pitch, who could be key to United returning to challenge at the top of the Premier League table. Given the significant investment they have made, a Champions League return next season has to be the minimum expectation for the season ahead.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
He was excellent yesterday. Looks very promising if LVG keeps this system.

ADM has been getting all the plaudits and maybe that's fair enough because he's a very exciting player to watch but I thought Blind was the guy who showed the most promise for the season ahead. There'll be games where the flair players like Di Maria drift out of the game but guys like Blind in that role are usually always prominent.

manux399

He was excellent yesterday. Looks very promising if LVG keeps this system.

ADM has been getting all the plaudits and maybe that's fair enough because he's a very exciting player to watch but I thought Blind was the guy who showed the most promise for the season ahead. There'll be games where the flair players like Di Maria drift out of the game but guys like Blind in that role are usually always prominent.
Bang on..! Just what we needed and he was the rock that allowed our creative players to play their game. Will always be the unsung hero, the player we really miss when he's not there. I always remember Arnold Muhren being like that in the 80's a player you thought did little but when he was injured the whole flow and balance of the midfield was lost.

surf

The thing with Blind is that it's certain he will improve. I don't think that physically speaking he is the most naturally gifted. He doesn't have the most athletic body, not that strong or explosive or fast. He's more of a diesel who will just keep going. Won't give up and will keep working his ass off. Even if he's failing as a player, he'll only work harder. He's very strong mentally and will do anything he can to succeed with us. He struggled at first at Ajax, whistled by their supporters, written off by most people. But he worked harder, trained harder, untill he succeeded. It's why he's so well respected at Ajax now, and kind of a **** figure.
This is the essential point. He is just emerging into the big time with Holland, and now United, and is a mere 24.

Dr Fink

Blind is major missing ingredient in my opinion. He was everywhere. He's the new "gimme" man, making himself available for a pass and screening the back three/four. Both he and Herrera complemented each other immensely. For the joy of watching Di Maria, take the unsung hero donkey work of Blind. Carrick with legs!!!!!

izec

reminds of Iturraspe from Athletic, no wonder Ander and Daley look good together in midfield.

littlepeasoup

Really pleased how both Blind and Rojo settled into the pace of the game yesterday. I think there's always a worry that a player from overseas may not adjust to the Prem, but they both looked right at home, looked aggressive, calm when they needed to be, and barely a misplaced pass amongst them, which we've been massively struggling with recently.

Glanville95

Blind is major missing ingredient in my opinion. He was everywhere. He's the new "gimme" man, making himself available for a pass and screening the back three/four. Both he and Herrera complemented each other immensely. For the joy of watching Di Maria, take the unsung hero donkey work of Blind. Carrick with legs!!!!!
I admire the type of midfielder that Blind is and when people refer to him as doing the 'simple stuff', I don't think that does his role justice. He was outstanding and dominant, albeit against weak opposition, and he controlled and influenced proceedings just as much as di Maria and Herrera IMO.

mufcwarm92

I've said it before and I'll say it again, loads of people in this thread will have red faces in a couple of years. He looks a very steady addition to the midfield, as he did for Ajax last season.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
reminds of Iturraspe from Athletic, no wonder Ander and Daley look good together in midfield.
Yeah, great shout. I think Iturraspe is a lot more athletic (lol) though, whilst Blind seems to have a stronger passing range - from what I've seen from his performances at the WC and Ajax.

NoPace

He should be a decent DM and backup LB, but strength is a serious concern for me. He was knocked over 2 or 3 times and this happened when he was at Ajax too. Hopefully he can get stronger without losing any quickness. He's 24, so it's not impossible.

Played well against QPR, but they didn't press high at all, so I think people are going overboard here. He did well to move the ball side to side quickly in a way our midfielders have struggled with, but again, QPR were defending so deep he wasn't really under much pressure.

If the diamond or any 4-3-3 with a DM is the plan, he and Carrick should be a good battle for the DM spot with Di Maria and Herrera either side of them. Long-term, I expect Carrick will move on after this year or the next and another CM or DM will be brought in and maybe we'll see Blind and Mata fighting for time at opposite ends of the midfield with Di Maria, Herrera and Vidal/Strootman/AnotherSigning as 3 starting fixtures, the undroppable Rooney and then the final 2 spots in the front 6 open between Blind, Mata, Januzaj, Falcao, RVP, Wilson, and any other signings we make or youth players we promote.

NoPace

Yeah, great shout. I think Iturraspe is a lot more athletic (lol) though, whilst Blind seems to have a stronger passing range - from what I've seen from his performances at the WC and Ajax.
Iturraspe has a pretty good passing range too. Both are very good at spreading play or hitting a long-ish ball without being elite at it. I think Blind is a bit more reliable but Iturraspe is bigger, stronger and maybe a bit better at ball carrying. Both good DM's, though. So yeah, reasonable comparison.

thejtrain

I'm sure he looks around and has his options sorted out well before he gets the ball - he hardly takes more than 2 seconds to pass the ball to another player or run forward with the ball. It's true he'll have to face 10 times the challenge he did yesterday, so I really hope he's up for it. Promises to be a more mobile version of Carrick.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I'm sure he looks around and has his options sorted out well before he gets the ball - he hardly takes more than 2 seconds to pass the ball to another player or run forward with the ball. It's true he'll have to face 10 times the challenge he did yesterday, so I really hope he's up for it. Promises to be a more mobile version of Carrick.
I think this is going to be the biggest difference for us. Teams won't be as effective at pressing the midfield if the ball has already gone.

Watching Cleverley and Fletcher take 4, 5 or 6 touches and do absolutely nothing with it was painful at the start of the season.

Does help a lot when you've got Di Maria and Herrera constantly moving and giving the man on the ball options though, which isn't something the aforementioned had sadly.