g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Daley Blind image 17

Daley Blind Netherlands flag

2015-16 Performances

View full 2015-16 profile

5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Varun

Staff
Was very good yesterday night. Proving me wrong so far and long may it continue :drool:

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He's been our best distributor this season, he can really inject pace into our game with those fizzing passes between the lines.

VanGaalEra

How many other CB's in world football would have been able to pull off that pass for Memphis' second goal?

Such a brilliant pass.

nevillestache

His vision and passing is a joy to watch, he's so composed on the ball and he's looking like he could develop into the central defender that van Gaal wants.

Hope he goes from strength to strength this season in that role.

rooneyaldo

previously Cardiff, Wales. Now Montreal, Canada
just a comment on Blind height or the lack of as mentioned by some posters, he is 180 cm (according to his wiki page) and Nemanja Vidic is 190 cm (wiki) thats a difference of 10 cm. Now thats not much at all. Sergio Ramos is 183 cm (wiki). Blind lack of height, according to me isn't a concern at all. He looks stronger on the pitch and you add that to the intelligence he has which is second to none, I think we have a genius on our hands. Just let him do his thing without much pressure and watch him thrive this season.

NotQuiteManc

just a comment on Blind height or the lack of as mentioned by some posters, he is 180 cm (according to his wiki page) and Nemanja Vidic is 190 cm (wiki) thats a difference of 10 cm. Now thats not much at all. Sergio Ramos is 183 cm (wiki). Blind lack of height, according to me isn't a concern at all. He looks stronger on the pitch and you add that to the intelligence he has which is second to none, I think we have a genius on our hands. Just let him do his thing without much pressure and watch him thrive this season.
That's true, plus how many so called "giant" players are playing nowadays, where the trend of football mostly consists of playing the ball to feet rather than crosses and high pass constantly? Of course there will be players that is going to be handful to handle but that would be Smalling's task I believe.

Treble

Blind is taller than Cannavaro, the last defender to win Ballon d'Or. Cannavaro's only 1,76 m.

Skills

Snitch
Have you ever stood next to someone 10cm taller than you?

Ixion

He's only a tiny bit shorter than Steve Bruce (although with a much different physique!) and he and Pallister were a great partnership.

crimsonife

Clearly his other attributes help to cover up his physicality like his height and he's been really good the past few games with Smalling. However I'm still worried he'll eventually be found out as top class tall strikers will be able to take advantage.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I will say i'm glad he got rid of the ponytail. I lost some respect for him but now he's come to his senses which is good :)

Parma Dewol

I still think Blind is one our best signings. Just get the impression he'll do anything he can to help the team. He's a skilful, two-footed and better-looking John O'Shea. What's not to like?

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Done great so far. Stays on his feet, reads things well and is good on the ball as we saw with the assist too.

Bigger tests to come, so far he has adapted well as he has a good footballing brain.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
So you're telling me LVG isn't some random bloke plucked from the pub to coach United? WHo would have thought the manager knew what he was doing.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Height doesn't automatically equate to strength in the air though... Vidic and Ramos are incredibly strong in the air, Blind isn't. Jonny Evans is around the same hight as Vidic, but there is a clear difference in their strength/ability in the air.

Thought he was grand again last night, must be a right laugh playing next to Smalling at the moment.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
Almost got caught out once or twice but recovered well. His passing from the back is brilliant and a huge asset.

marlowe78

I don't think metres alone is the issue people have, it's his overall size. What Smalling did several times on Tuesday, having players bounce off him and end up on their arses, is what people expect from a CB. Blind is very intelligent in what he does (except wandering up the pitch sometimes) but I don't think he's really been tested on the run or cross yet. The way he stops attackers and takes possession reminds me of a fullback.

worldinmotion66

Lack of height isn't a problem at all, his only real lacking as a centre half is pace. Fortunately he has Smalling and Shaw beside him so can be protected for the most part. I hope he can form a lasting partnership with Smalling and prove the doubters wrong.

Santiago_KinderBueno

Santiago Kinder Bannedo
Lack of height isn't a problem at all, his only real lacking as a centre half is pace. Fortunately he has Smalling and Shaw beside him so can be protected for the most part. I hope he can form a lasting partnership with Smalling and prove the doubters wrong.
I thought blind was very average/slow as a LB but as a CB there are many many slower. I actually think he is on the lower scales of a fast CB?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I thought blind was very average/slow as a LB but as a CB there are many many slower. I actually think he is on the lower scales of a fast CB?
I think it's Carragher who said that Terry had no pace to lose.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Clearly his other attributes help to cover up his physicality like his height and he's been really good the past few games with Smalling. However I'm still worried he'll eventually be found out as top class tall strikers will be able to take advantage.
You mean strikers like Kane...who scored zero goals against us? Too short?
How about Rudy Gestede, 6' 4", who also scored...zero goals.
I think we will need to wait about 10 games before making any judgements, but so far, our CB pairing is the best in the league.

To be a decent CB, you have to have many other attributes, than just height. Blind uses his intelligence to make up for his deficiencies, in the same way that Phil Jones uses his physique to make up for his lack of intelligence. ;)

crimsonife

You mean strikers like Kane...who scored zero goals against us? Too short?
How about Rudy Gestede, 6' 4", who also scored...zero goals.
I think we will need to wait about 10 games before making any judgements, but so far, our CB pairing is the best in the league.

To be a decent CB, you have to have many other attributes, than just height. Blind uses his intelligence to make up for his deficiencies, in the same way that Phil Jones uses his physique to make up for his lack of intelligence. ;)
Of course I've stated he's been absolutely fine so far. But it's still to early to judge.

FujiVice

One of the criticisms you hear is "if you get someone who is physical like Costa, how will he deal with him." As a defensive midfielder, surely the physical side of his job (strength and generally pressing the forward) shouldnt be a worry?

PvsNP

Just to add to your example of a short WC defender: Puyol (178 cm), Cannavaro (176 cm), Scirea (178 cm), Baresi (176 cm), Gentile (178 cm), Moore (178 cm), Vierchowod (180 cm), etc.

chetan

I am pleasantly surprised by his performances. He really looks comfortable at CB, everyone was asking who would LVG Schweinsteiger from our squad. Could he be the one? Early signs looks promising. :drool:
Now lets not just get on his back when he makes his first eventual mistake.

m1y2

I think he will have a Blinder, exactly a type of game he could shine in, we will have ball all the time and he can orchestrate it from the back while Mike eliminates all the danger..

Rooney1987

Thought his defending for the last Newcastle attack was great. Forcing Cisse out wide saved us the point, would have been an easy tap in for Thauvin.

ZDwyr

Another good performance. Despite being against it to begin with I hope he and Smalling continue to develop their partnership.

Zoo

Thought his defending for the last Newcastle attack was great. Forcing Cisse out wide saved us the point, would have been an easy tap in for Thauvin.
Yeah Blind dealt with that situation really well. He's been excellent at CB so far this season.

United again!

Is anyone else finding themselves going christ, how out of position were you there Blind?... a few times a game in the opening games of the season? Not saying he's been shit or anything because credit where it is due he has played very well but I feel he is out of position so much and Smalling is covering him. Not saying it is definite, it is just how I feel.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Yeah Blind dealt with that situation really well. He's been excellent at CB so far this season.

Good defending there by Blind. As others have mentioned, him and Smalling have struck a nice partnership and complement each other well. Not really concerned about Blind's supposed lack of height and/or pace. He's tall enough and fast enough to get the job done in more situations than not, and there's plenty of examples of defenders of similar height and slower pace who are excellent central defenders. His intelligence is what really sets him apart though. That and his ball-playing ability gives him the edge on 90% of CBs. Can't think of any PL CBs technically better with the ball than Blind.

Status
Not open for further replies.