Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Acole9

Outstanding
There's another thread bemoaning our squad depth, and the lack of O'Shea type players to rotate in and give other players a rest. Surely that is exactly what his role should have been with everybody fit?
Yes it would be but lets face it no player wants to be a rotational option.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
That's just silly, centerbacks do different jobs in different systems. He's good in systems where keeping the ball is the primary method of defending, he isn't in systems or games where teams see more of the ball and are more likely to go blow for blow. He's situationally a good centerback.

Amusing but alas incorrect. Since this is a continuation of a discussion that started before this game, where I was praising him :rolleyes:.
your anti Blind rants are becoming a little jaded now.

Dion

Oh bore off, you're becoming tiresome now. Apparently Blind can't play there because he's too slow, weak, can't handle games where we don't dominate possession or open games, any other nonsense you want to throw his way tonight?
If you're going to defend by keeping the ball I can't think of many I'd rather have at the back. He's not the natural defender Pique is but he's doing the same job for us.
He's repeatedly struggled in games where teams have gotten at him this season where more natural defenders would have fared far better. Thankfully in general he (and the team) are very good at keeping the ball and limiting the amount this happens. Acknowledging the issues caused when our possession system breaks down and Blind is exposed isn't an agenda
Just no. Please stop and read before posting.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
So hes done nothing wrong today and yet is being slaughtered, this place can be one of the most annoying places in the world at times.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
So hes done nothing wrong today and yet is being slaughtered, this place can be one of the most annoying places in the world at times.
I like Blind but I have to say that he was partly at fault for that first goal.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
he did well enough tonight. No complaints fro me. Am loving his contributions this season so far. Possibly LVGs best signing.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
That goal was nobodies fault but Valencia, anybody that thinks otherwise is a cretin
Was a result of a series of faults, like most goals. Darmian was out of position, so Schneirdelin and Blind was covering for him. Don't know enough about the instructions to say for certain which of those two should be doing it, but I thought just one of them would have sufficed.

Blind then made the mistake of rushing out when the ball was played back. He essentially played like a defensive midfielder here. Rushing out could be argued to not have been a mistake, but he was half hearted in doing so (or simply didn't have the pace) leaving the space in the centre back positions open.

Of course Valencia was being a bit of a cretin (to use your word) in not being in line with the rest of the defence, which was a huge mistake in itself, but considering Schneirdelin (who should have been rushing out instead of Blind) was playing the Caligula fella onside, I wouldn't say it made much of a difference.

(Looking back at the footage, it was Darmian who played the guy onside. Sorry for being a cretin there.)

NoPace

Unpopular but he's a squad player for me. Will do a job but should not be a regular fixture at centre half/centre mid.
My guess is that this will be true in time. Rojo will leave, as LVG doesn't like him and he's good enough to start for a CL team like Valencia, Roma or Wolfsburg and will want out and bring back a decent fee. We'll buy an LCB and Blind will be the first choice backup to Shaw, the LCB and once Carrick leaves, fighting for 4th pick for CM play with a more offensive option (Herrera, if he stays) behind Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin and a signed Carrick replacement.

Lots and lots of playing time to be had over 55 games as the main option backing up 2 positions and getting time at a 3rd.

RedDevil@84

He had a bad match. I dont think he was a liability overall. He is not in midfield mode for sure..

For the first goal he covered darmian who was out of formation. Smalling then tried to cover blind when normally he should be acting as the last man & valencia - umm lets just leave that for another day.
Thats what a good defensive unit should do. The LB goes up the pitch so the LCB moves across to cover, the RCB moves to the left and the RB comes in to the centre. The DM also drops to provide additional cover.

Valencia screwed it all up by not moving up with the line. Schneiderlin (i think it was him) was also a bit slow to cover when Blind went out to challenge for the ball, and that probably should have been his job anyway.

CG1010

That's just silly, centerbacks do different jobs in different systems. He's good in systems where keeping the ball is the primary method of defending, he isn't in systems or games where teams see more of the ball and are more likely to go blow for blow. He's situationally a good centerback.
That is a weird thing to criticise Blind for! Wouldn't most CBs be only situationally good? For example, Terry was looking lost and done under various managers but as soon as Mourinho came to Chelsea again, he is looking like a world beater. This is only because Mourinho's system suits Terry's style of defending. Wouldn't Terry be a "natural defender" in your eyes? Barring the best of the best CBs, every one would be suited to particular systems only.

In fact this is just a manifestation of a team game, that football is and why its difficult to sometimes judge individual talent. Isn't Di Maria a situationally good attacker, as he wasn't suited to PL?

ivaldo

Just no. Please stop and read before posting.
Except we play possession football every game and you complain about him, every game. Throwing a couple of empty compliments at the player doesn't make your argument balanced. We've already had this when you made up his 'destruction' at the hands of Benteke.

Lynty

Collective errors for the goal.

Blind and schniederlin should not be letting that player past. If he beats you, you take the yellow card in my eyes.

Blind followed the ball to close the shot, as he was the closest player (someone had to do it), schniederlin tried to play the offside - unaware of Valencias terrible position.

Smalling had a brain fart and left a great position, creating a huge space in front of De Gea.

Can't really pin anything on Blind tonight - he had an average game. After a few exceptional performances, I think he is entitled to an average game.

Dante

Average bang
He excellent at getting into the right position. He's fairly poor at actually defending when he gets there.

Wolfsburg had three decent moments in the box and all came from Blind's lack of aggression.

If we have to play a midfielder in defence, I'd prefer Carrick. At least he could stand up the physical side of the game.

Santiago_KinderBueno

Santiago Kinder Bannedo
He excellent at getting into the right position. He's fairly poor at actually defending when he gets there.

Wolfsburg had three decent moments in the box and all came from Blind's lack of aggression.

If we have to play a midfielder in defence, I'd prefer Carrick. At least he could stand up the physical side of the game.
I really need to avoid this thread because it makes me sound biased when im not. His tacklimg has been superb up until yesterday when he moved to DM and gave awag a needless foul. Other than that i have seen him make countless clean tackles.

Maybe its just me.

Im not blaming you in particular; but the instant urge to blame him when something goes wrong seems like a way of introducing a new LCB like laporte. Which should happen whether blind is crap or not.

Empire

It seems we have now got to the point where those who want to criticise Blind are resorting to basically saying "Well he wouldn't be good for another manager or in another team", that's not a reason to not play him as a centre back and I don't think Louis van Gaal cares how he'd play for another manager, he works and so far Louis van Gaal has been right despite all the preseason criticism.

A player like Herrera is quality however in the 10 role when the manager wants a second striker not third midfielder he isn't as effective, in the holding position he isn't as effective, in this system it is therefore no surprise other players have been given the chance ahead of him and only if they don't perform (Schneiderlin and Rooney) will he get his chance. Herrera is a good player.

The reason Louis van Gaal was probably never interested in a goal keeper like Cech even if he didn't care about staying in London is because he isn't a sweeper keeper and so would struggle with that aspect of performance. I wouldn't call Cech a situationally good keeper, he's a just good keeper, it just so happens this manager wants a keeper who is very good with his feet as first choice for obvious reasons.

Jose Mourinho didn't value Juan Mata because he didn't fit his system, I wouldn't say Juan Mata is a situationally good player. Benitez was happy with him as is Louis van Gaal. And so far he has averaged a goal or assist per game!

Valdes was a top keeper but in the premier league many thought he would have struggled, I wouldn't say Valdes is situationally a good keeper.

And the list goes on.

Dante

Average bang
I really need to avoid this thread because it makes me sound biased when im not. His tacklimg has been superb up until yesterday when he moved to DM and gave awag a needless foul. Other than that i have seen him make countless clean tackles.

Maybe its just me.

Im not blaming you in particular; but the instant urge to blame him when something goes wrong seems like a way of introducing a new LCB like laporte. Which should happen whether blind is crap or not.
It's not instant. He's never looked like a centre back. I've been saying it all season. I'd like to see Jones in that position.

Dion

Except we play possession football every game and you complain about him, every game. Throwing a couple of empty compliments at the player doesn't make your argument balanced. We've already had this when you made up his 'destruction' at the hands of Benteke.
This is the second game I've commented on, and the previous one was a compliment.

Like I said. Please start reading.

Dion

It seems we have now got to the point where those who want to criticise Blind are resorting to basically saying "Well he wouldn't be good for another manager or in another team", that's not a reason to not play him as a centre back and I don't think Louis van Gaal cares how he'd play for another manager, he works and so far Louis van Gaal has been right despite all the preseason criticism.
Like I said, please read and stop replying to what you want to see.

Dion

That is a weird thing to criticise Blind for! Wouldn't most CBs be only situationally good? For example, Terry was looking lost and done under various managers but as soon as Mourinho came to Chelsea again, he is looking like a world beater. This is only because Mourinho's system suits Terry's style of defending. Wouldn't Terry be a "natural defender" in your eyes? Barring the best of the best CBs, every one would be suited to particular systems only.

In fact this is just a manifestation of a team game, that football is and why its difficult to sometimes judge individual talent. Isn't Di Maria a situationally good attacker, as he wasn't suited to PL?
I think a 34 year old Terry is the epitome of a situationally good centerback, but your leap in logic to that meaning I must disregarding his entire career previously doesn't really work. Terry would have been an asset to any backline in his pomp, even if he was an arse. That doesn't change that he's limited in effectiveness to playing a really deep line now. Giggs was situationally a good central midfielder in his later days. That doesn't mean he wasn't a world class winger previous. The difference between Di Maria and Blind is this silly technical semantic point you're trying to imply that not working in one system or situation is the same as only being suitable in a role for one systelse This is true of all of your examples withthe exception of Terry. Mascherano was fantastic for Barcelona for long periods despite notreally being a conventional centerback who would have struggled massively somewhere else.

Playing horses for courses isn't some massive slight on Blind, he excels in our current system. That doesn't mean he doesn't struggle when the system breaks down of course but that happens with lots of players. Acknowledging that fact isn't suggesting that you want him dropped or killed, no matter how desperate some in this thread are too see the slightest criticism even when framed by a massive compliment as a devastating assault.

Players have strengths and weaknesses. This isn't big news.

ivaldo

This is the second game I've commented on, and the previous one was a compliment.

Like I said. Please start reading.
Bullshit. Like I said, some making things up.

Dion

Bullshit. Like I said, some making things up.
You just read what you want to read. You're so desperate to defend Blind you can't take even the slightest criticism of him, even when framed in what most would consider to be a massive compliment. You're just being silly.

prath92

He is much less a defender than Jones.

And Jones being error prone is based on an unfair internet reputation.
He has played all his career as a DM, LB and CB so it's not like he isn't a defender. Maybe he hasn't played CB a lot but he has been a defender so it's not like he does a job which he has no idea of. Plus he has the brains to adapt which he has done very well this season.

The last top team that Jones played against was arsenal where he made a hash of at least 2 half chances against giroud. One he did comically just about defend with his head. The other he tried to put de gea under pressure with his defending. Blind never screws up to that extent. Jones is a good defender but he has brain freezes very often. Unfair internet reputation? Not really.

Brightonian

No doubt it was a flawed performance from him, but one bad game in a match where others struggled too is not grounds for dropping him. Even if a replacement comes in and is more solid defensively, we'll miss his passing. Some might not realise that's what they're moaning about, but there's no question a lot of the penetration we do get at the moment in our possession-heavy game is down to his passing.

See how he does against Arsenal. If he looks frail again, then you think about dropping him for Jones or Rojo, or moving him to the left while Shaw's out.

Dante

Average bang
He has played all his career as a DM, LB and CB so it's not like he isn't a defender. Maybe he hasn't played CB a lot but he has been a defender so it's not like he does a job which he has no idea of. Plus he has the brains to adapt which he has done very well this season.

The last top team that Jones played against was arsenal where he made a hash of at least 2 half chances against giroud. One he did comically just about defend with his head. The other he tried to put de gea under pressure with his defending. Blind never screws up to that extent. Jones is a good defender but he has brain freezes very often. Unfair internet reputation? Not really.
It's unfair entirely because you describe the defending as 'comical'. It was an incredible recovery from a slip. Slips like that happen all the time, but recoveries like it don't.

Blind has been outmuscled and outpaced loads of time this season. His lack of closing down led to all three of Wolfsburg's chances yesterday, including the goal.

ivaldo

You just read what you want to read. You're so desperate to defend Blind you can't take even the slightest criticism of him, even when framed in what most would consider to be a massive compliment. You're just being silly.
No I read what you write, the same as the several other people who quoted you after making such a ridiculous statement about being bullied by Benteke.

Status
Not open for further replies.