Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
He has none of the physical qualities you would want in a CB. He is a good midfielder though. This left footed, right footed CB nonsense means he is now our starting CB(at least until Rojo returns).

NoPace

Does that even exist?
Looking at our early schedule, I would say only Arsenal, Newcastle and Sunderland in the first 8 games are reasonably likely not to pick a giant target man or pace merchant who can bully or outrun Blind:

Spurs - Kane - Power, some pace
Villa - Gestede is very strong, not sure how mobile he is
Newcastle - Mitrovic (power) Cisse (neither), Perez (Pace)
Swansea - Gomis is tall and strong, Eder is very strong
Liverpool - Benteke is powerful
Southampton - Pelle is too tall and strong for Blind and Mane too quick
Sunderland - Defoe isn't quick anymore
Arsenal - Giroud probably too big and strong, Walcott too fast

In some ways, Villa away is the most concerning since you'd fancy Smalling-Jones to handle Gestede fine but he may win a bunch of headers against Blind to create trouble. Swansea away you'd fancy them to get some crosses in to their big 9s, too, since they are good enough to have the ball against us.

NoPace

I worry about Blind's positioning too, since he has so little experience at CB or with Smalling/Jones. On the tour, I forget against who, the 9 was coming towards the ball centrally about 30 yards from goal and the entire left-side was open and someone got played in.

Right now, I have to wonder why Van Gaal sanctioned spending on Schneiderlin instead of an LCB, as Schweinsteiger, Carrick and Blind all look solid options at DM, but Blind is about to start the season at LCB, which anyone can see is a disaster.

izec

I worry about Blind's positioning too, since he has so little experience at CB or with Smalling/Jones. On the tour, I forget against who, the 9 was coming towards the ball centrally about 30 yards from goal and the entire left-side was open and someone got played in.

Right now, I have to wonder why Van Gaal sanctioned spending on Schneiderlin instead of an LCB, as Schweinsteiger, Carrick and Blind all look solid options at DM, but Blind is about to start the season at LCB, which anyone can see is a disaster.
It was the right move to buy Schneiderlin, we just need a CB too, simple as. It is not like we dont have money, more that we want Ramos or no one.

Dante

Average bang
He's got the offside trap wrong at least a couple of times in each game this preseason. I'm sure he'll learn eventually, but that's going to be a weakness for us in the next few weeks.

Mindhunter

I have no clue why we are trying to convert him into the Dutch John O'Shea.

He had no experience in playing for a top club at CB and he didn't convince even in the friendlies. It is is really weird that a club of our size and stature have been playing players out of position for years in spite of spending significantly in the last 5 years.

dustfingers

Supports
MMC
I have no clue why we are trying to convert him into the Dutch John O'Shea.

He had no experience in playing for a top club at CB and he didn't convince even in the friendlies. It is is really weird that a club of our size and stature have been playing players out of position for years in spite of spending significantly in the last 5 years.
I agree. The way things are going LvG might as well play total football next season with Jones taking corners, Mata as a false CB with Blind as his CB partner.

Man Utd 1:0 Tottenham

Roboc7

Pretty useless today, defensively a passenger and he offered nothing in terms of his passing to justify being selected there. Fewer games he plays as a cb the better.

SteveW

Yep. Smalling was a one man central defence. Thankfully the full backs were good and Spurs did very little going forward. The idea that this is almost certain to cost us points frustrates the life out of me. It's just so needless.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Blind's presence at the back is very good when we have possession. He allows us to not crumble when pressed, which we are so used to seeing. Great under pressure and good recycling of the ball with short passes.

As an actual defender though, he was brushed aside with ease on a few occasions. Against big lump centre forwards, he is going to get hammered. It can't be a long term solution, surely.

crimsonife

He can't play CB, really can't see what LVG sees in him even if he's left footed. He was shaky and Smalling had to mop for him, don't think he has the right physique.

jem

LVG has really made a hash of this. If Blind is a CB in his eyes, then why didn't he play him there last year, even when we were in the midst of a crippling CB injury crisis? He's a very good player, but a CB he is not. I'd rather play Jones with Smalling (who gives a flying one about having a left-footed player there?) Perhaps Rojo could be the one to partner Smalling (who was immense, and really should have been starting throughout the preseason.)

Bojan11

He can't win headers. Positioning not great. Not the quickest and strongest.

I'd rather have Carrick as CB.

tom33

I think we need to be able to defend much better as a team if we're going to keep playing blind centre back. Barca have been plenty successful using Mascherano at centre back, but they defend all over the pitch, which means teams can't exploit him easily and have to take what they are given instead.

ZDwyr

I think we need to be able to defend much better as a team if we're going to keep playing blind centre back. Barca have been plenty successful using Mascherano at centre back, but they defend all over the pitch, which means teams can't exploit him easily and have to take what they are given instead.
Agree totally. Blind won't be able to play there for the full season.

Bojan11

Mascherano is better positioning wise and defensively than Blind.

Even at CDM, Blind has not been convincing.

Dominos

To be honest I think the majority of you had already decided he was shit today before the match had even started.

He was hardly terrible today, didn't stand out but a defender not being noticed isn't necessarily a bad thing. Having said that I didn't exactly see the benefit of playing him over a CB, it's surely a matter of time before he's exposed for not having the skill set to play as a centre back.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It will cost us points if we persist with him at centre back. The only times Kane won any duels today was when he got to take Blind on. He's slow and weak, and while he has other qualities, I struggle to see how he's going to be good enough keeping the first two in mind.

Roboc7

To be honest I think the majority of you had already decided he was shit today before the match had even started.

He was hardly terrible today, didn't stand out but a defender not being noticed isn't necessarily a bad thing. Having said that I didn't exactly see the benefit of playing him over a CB, it's surely a matter of time before he's exposed for not having the skill set to play as a centre back.
He was poor he just got away with it today, committed himself too easily, beaten in the air too often, out of position, held off and out muscled and too slow.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
He's a very intelligent player, who reads the game very well and has good positioning, but he's too weak for a CB and loses almost every aerial battle, which is bound to cost us dearly if we persist with him. The last minutes when Spurs were hoofing the ball were very tense.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Not good enough for CB, Jones or Rojo should come in for him next game.

Devil may care

Pochettino missed a trick by not putting Kane on him and hitting some balls up to him as Blind is no good shoulder to shoulder. He uses the ball nicely but so far IMO he looks a good LB and should mainly be back up to Shaw. Was fortunate on a couple of occasions that Smalling was so alert and covered his grass.

HabeasC

I really rated Blind at times last season, but as everyone has said he is not a CB. He is also not a better CDM than Carrick, Basti or Schneiderlin, nor is he as good a LB as Lukey Shaw. He is a good utility player to have, especially off of the bench, but not a starter.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
LvG seems to like him but he seems like he's destined for a season on the bench, all things being equal. Which they never are.

Skills

Snitch
I don't know how we would've coped without his ball playing at the back. I mean, is there seriously another CB at the club who could pass the ball sideways, get it back and then lay it off absolutely perfectly for the goalkeeper to punt it out long?

humdinger

I like him enough as a player but the thought of him at centre back does make me nervous. This left foot obsession of van Gaal's is ridiculous.

hbgreg

I don't know how we would've coped without his ball playing at the back. I mean, is there seriously another CB at the club who could pass the ball sideways, get it back and then lay it off absolutely perfectly for the goalkeeper to punt it out long?
You think it's easy but remember Valencia knocking us out of the FA Cup!

He's clearly only there until Rojo is up to fitness. Jones was terrible in pre season and is allocated to the right side, whilst Evans is just a liability. There is noone else.

MDFC Manager

Did fairly well today actually. But will get found out eventually I think. That Spurs move where it was wrongly called offside...Blind was so hilariously out of position for that one. Reminded me of that PSG game again.

I thought his passing was rubbish today... worse then Smalling's in fact.
I think Smalling had the most number of passes for anyone on the pitch.

MDFC Manager

He's clearly only there until Rojo is up to fitness. Jones was terrible in pre season and is allocated to the right side, whilst Evans is just a liability. There is noone else.
I think you're right about Rojo

Geordopolous

We got a clean sheet guys. Blind was fine! Sometimes I feel you guys exaggerate just to justify your previous comments

Status
Not open for further replies.