Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Smalling was really bad. He lost almost every duel against Caroll, in the air or on the ground. Watch the match again. Also Caroll's chance in first half was SMALLING fault for pressing their guy in their own half while we had morgan and Rooney around him to do the job. You do know that you can't trap offside in the other team half right? You just don't leave a player next to you and press someone else into the other team half as a defender which is something blind gets ridiculed for.

I am drama queen because I try to give balanced arguments instead of jumping on 'everyone is shit and embarrassing at this club" without actually being reasonable?

Drama queens are the ones who go negative nancy at everything imo.
Blind should have stepped up or they should have as a unit all dropped Blind wasn't even aware what he was doing he switch off! Like he did for the other two goals. You go and watch it again I saw it clearly last night and I don't agree with you about Smalling either so we can leave it at that.

The United

Blind should have stepped up or they should have as a unit all dropped Blind wasn't even aware what he was doing he switch off! Like he did for the other two goals. You go and watch it again I saw it clearly last night and I don't agree with you about Smalling either so we can leave it at that.
You should look at it not me. Smalling just moved up there without giving a look or a hint of communication at blind within a sec or two and blind was ready to play offside on WHU player on his left who was closer to him than Caroll who was smalling's man and was standing 2 yards ahead of smalling.

Also they were standing very close to the halfway line. So even if blind saw it and had the speed of bolt, all he could do is pretty much running into WHU's half and leaving 2 players behind? And the result will be the same when WHU pass the ball to caroll who was smalling's man.

You DO NOT leave your man to charge into someone else's half to press someone that you don't need to as a defender. It was pretty dumb move.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He was shit yesterday, his worst game for us, but some of the above posts are just laughable. Still a quality player, just had one of those days.

NK86

He was shit yesterday, his worst game for us, but some of the above posts are just laughable. Still a quality player, just had one of those days.
He has been having 'one of those days' for a few weeks now. It was not just yesterday. The only difference was we got punished for each of his errors while in earlier games he was bailed out by Smalling or one of the full backs.

His biggest asset, his distribution, has gone to shite and all the people claiming his physical presence has been good just got that thrown back in their faces after yesterday's performance. He got bullied time and time again.

ivaldo

He has been having 'one of those days' for a few weeks now. It was not just yesterday. The only difference was we got punished for each of his errors while in earlier games he was bailed out by Smalling or one of the full backs.

His biggest asset, his distribution, has gone to shite and all the people claiming his physical presence has been good just got that thrown back in their faces after yesterday's performance. He got bullied time and time again.
So did Smalling, a player twice his size and is renowned as being a monster air was repeatedly beaten by Carroll, West Ham have been doing it to everyone this season. Our relentless fouling in dangerous areas and our inability to control the game and prevent the service was as much of a problem as struggling to deal with the end threat.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
He's just not good enough in the air lads it's as simple as that. West Ham targeted him last night and it was a simple tactic that worked. Good reader of the game, good on the deck, but he's not built to be a centre half and West Ham exploited that.

NK86

So did Smalling, a player twice his size and is renowned as being a monster air was repeatedly beaten by Carroll, West Ham have been doing it to everyone this season. Our relentless fouling in dangerous areas and our inability to control the game and prevent the service was as much of a problem as struggling to deal with the end threat.
Smalling dealt fairly well with Carroll but he cannot deal with every player. He cannot mark all the opponents by himself. That is what Blind is there was and he has been atrocious. He was getting beaten by Reid and the rest regularly.

ivaldo

Smalling dealt fairly well with Carroll but he cannot deal with every player. He cannot mark all the opponents by himself. That is what Blind is there was and he has been atrocious. He was getting beaten by Reid and the rest regularly.
Yeah he did, Smalling didn't deal with him fairly well at all, they won practically everything yesterday, it was a shit performance all round by everyone but Martial yesterday.

Parma Dewol

I was amazed at how bad Blind was last night. This season he's done okay, overall, for a midfielder playing as centre back. It's been his reading of the game and positional play that has compensated for other deficiencies, yet all that seemed to be missing yesterday.

Expected him to lose some of the aerial duels, but I didn't for one minute think he would be caught out of position on so many occasions. He very rarely seemed to be in line with the rest of the back four, often playing people onside, and it frankly didn't make any sense. The incident where Carrol ran straight through on goal was incredible, Blind was so much deeper than everybody else that nobody seemed to believe what was happening.

Honestly don't know what happened to him last night. He's not a natural centre back, but he's not that bad a player and yesterday's performance was unusual for a man who's technically quite decent. I was telling myself during the game that maybe the coach incident had played on his mind, but maybe he just bottled it on the night. Either way, that was his worst performance in a United shirt.

The United

Smalling did NOT do well dealing Caroll. Go watch again. Carroll was holding the ball easily against on the ground and getting other players into the play very well. Also dominating smalling in the air fairly well too.

No one expects smalling to mark everyone. Carroll was his man and if anything, Carroll ownt him as much as a mid table striker would.

NK86

Smalling did NOT do well dealing Caroll. Go watch again. Carroll was holding the ball easily against on the ground and getting other players into the play very well. Also dominating smalling in the air fairly well too.

No one expects smalling to mark everyone. Carroll was his man and if anything, Carroll ownt him as much as a mid table striker would.
I did watch the game live. I don't need to watch it again. Smalling made sure he won a lot of the duels against Carroll but if he has no one to mark the other players, he cannot do it all by himself. Blind was all over the shop yesterday and has been for some time now.

The United

I did watch the game live. I don't need to watch it again. Smalling made sure he won a lot of the duels against Carroll but if he has no one to mark the other players, he cannot do it all by himself. Blind was all over the shop yesterday and has been for some time now.
There is no point saying blind was good or bad. We know it.

But point is the defense was a mess and part of the problem was smalling just like blind. It was not like smalling had a decent game. He didn't and far from it. And all I am saying is that it could be why our defense was such a mess on a wrong day. Both made stupid mistakes and didn't even seem like they communicated at all.

When the defense is at fault for not communication, you can never point at one person there. It is a collectively thing.

NK86

There is no point saying blind was good or bad. We know it.

But point is the defense was a mess and part of the problem was smalling just like blind. It was not like smalling had a decent game. He didn't and far from it. And all I am saying is that it could be why our defense was such a mess on a wrong day. Both equally made lots of stupid mistake and didn't even seem like they communicated at all.
Both had mistakes but Blind's were the glaring ones which cost us the game. That says it all.

The United

Both had mistakes but Blind's were the glaring ones which cost us the game. That says it all.
I don't disagree and it was my point in fact.

Smalling's mistakes didn't cost us so he seems like the better one which is true but he didn't have a decent game.

Steven Seagull

You should look at it not me. Smalling just moved up there without giving a look or a hint of communication at blind within a sec or two and blind was ready to play offside on WHU player on his left who was closer to him than Caroll who was smalling's man and was standing 2 yards ahead of smalling.

Also they were standing very close to the halfway line. So even if blind saw it and had the speed of bolt, all he could do is pretty much running into WHU's half and leaving 2 players behind? And the result will be the same when WHU pass the ball to caroll who was smalling's man.

You DO NOT leave your man to charge into someone else's half to press someone that you don't need to as a defender. It was pretty dumb move.
Funnily enough he's been doing exactly that all season.

NK86

I don't disagree and it was my point in fact.

Smalling's mistakes didn't cost us so he seems like the better one which is true but he didn't have a decent game.
None in our defense had a decent game. In fact, bar Martial no one wearing that shirt yesterday should be able to look themselves in the mirror and say 'I gave it my all'. However, Blind has been exposed for a while now; only difference is it cost us big time today.

The United

None in our defense had a decent game. In fact, bar Martial no one wearing that shirt yesterday should be able to look themselves in the mirror and say 'I gave it my all'. However, Blind has been exposed for a while now; only difference is it cost us big time today.
Blind gets exposed once in awhile as much as smalling passing the balls right into the striker and get a counter.

Everyone has a weakness and get exposed from time to time. Depends if you like someone enough to ignore or dislike enough to bash them for every time they do something bad.

NK86

Blind gets exposed once in awhile as much as smalling passing the balls right into the striker and get a counter.

Everyone has a weakness and get exposed from time to time. Depends if you like someone enough to ignore or dislike enough to bash them for every time they do something bad.
Smalling's passing has been horrendous. He seems to have regressed with all the hoofing of late. Yet, he is twice the defender Blind is. Give me two Smallings over two Blinds in defense any day of thw week.

The United

Smalling's passing has been horrendous. He seems to have regressed with all the hoofing of late. Yet, he is twice the defender Blind is. Give me two Smallings over two Blinds in defense any day of thw week.
You don't need two similar players in a pair of positions.

It is why we call them a pair and a team where one fills up the other's weakness. Blind is not be all end all CB for us. Far from it. But, who else can do better in this team this season and atm? Or how many CB in EPL are doing much better than him?

NK86

You don't need two similar players in a pair of positions.

It is why we call them a pair and a team where one fills up the other's weakness. Blind is not be all end all CB for us. Far from it. But, who else can do better in this team this season and atm? Or how many CB in EPL are doing much better than him?
You don't get the point, do you? I don't want similar players but if given a choice between two Blinds and two Smallings as our CB pairing, I will choose the latter.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
CB who won 0 aerial duels in last night's game says it pretty much all. I think anyone who wandered in our box could won at least few. You can't expect good defending from anyone in your team against team that is great at set pieces when you have CB who can't win single aerial battle. But somehow, some say Smalling was equally bad as him, despite Blind being directly involved in all three goals.

Saying that, I like Blind, he is one of my favourite players in the squad, and I think he should almost always have the place in the team but not neccesarily at CB. He's had a good season overall, better than I expected, but he's had few of performances like last night when you question his ability to even play at this level. What always surprises me is his lack of position awereness, I always think of him as one of our most intelligent players only for him to do few incredibly stupid things even Rojo would be proud off. He did it in midfield too last season at times, it's really weird how his positioning can be terrible for a player who in general shows that he has brains unlike our many other players. If you count top10 worst performances from our players this season, Blind would probably have at least 3 of his there, despite being one of our better players this season.

The United

You don't get the point, do you? I don't want similar players but if given a choice between two Blinds and two Smallings as our CB pairing, I will choose the latter.
That goes without saying?

It is not that I didn't get your point. It is that whats the point of it as we will never have to choose two of each?

NK86

That goes without saying?

It is not that I didn't get your point. It is that whats the point of it as we will never have to choose two of each?
I hope we get a better partner for Smalling than a makeshift CB. We have regressed in all departments under the prick in charge and I really don't see how Mourinho or anyone will be able to sort it out in a summer.

Godfather

No idea where to position himself. Slow as feck. Can't win a header to save his life. How the heck is he a starting CB for us. Just because he is able to pass a football?

The United

CB who won 0 aerial duels in last night's game says it pretty much all. I think anyone who wandered in our box could won at least few. You can't expect good defending from anyone in your team against team that is great at set pieces when you have CB who can't win single aerial battle. But somehow, some say Smalling was equally bad as him, despite Blind being directly involved in all three goals.

Saying that, I like Blind, he is one of my favourite players in the squad, and I think he should almost always have the place in the team but not neccesarily at CB. He's had a good season overall, better than I expected, but he's had few of performances like last night when you question his ability to even play at this level. What always surprises me is his lack of position awereness, I always think of him as one of our most intelligent players only for him to do few incredibly stupid things even Rojo would be proud off. He did it in midfield too last season at times, it's really weird how his positioning can be terrible for a player who in general shows that he has brains unlike our many other players. If you count top10 worst performances from our players this season, Blind would probably have at least 3 of his there, despite being one of our better players this season.
Where did you get that 0 aerial duels stats?

Also defenders can play bad without conceding a goal. It is just sometimes it does not get punished.

The United

I hope we get a better partner for Smalling than a makeshift CB. We have regressed in all departments under the prick in charge and I really don't see how Mourinho or anyone will be able to sort it out in a summer.
Not sure how we have regressed in defending department? That's with our DMs playing shit and FBs changing every 2 games this season?

NK86

Not sure how we have regressed in defending department? That's with our DMs playing shit and FBs changing every 2 games this season?
We have defended well when we have had 2 DMs sitting in front of our back 4 with a God in goal, while we sacrifice all our attacking instincts to defend. As soon as we take a lead, I have zero expectations of us holding on to it because we collectively shit ourselves and cannot get out of our own half even against teams like West Ham.

The United

We have defended well when we have had 2 DMs sitting in front of our back 4 with a God in goal, while we sacrifice all our attacking instincts to defend. As soon as we take a lead, I have zero expectations of us holding on to it because we collectively shit ourselves and cannot get out of our own half even against teams like West Ham.
I don't disagree even though if your attack is good enough, your defense don't need to deal with that much pressure which ours have to. So tbh, with that kind of pressure and even with playing 2 DMs who are shit mostly plus FBs changing every 2-3 games, our defense is as good as you will get.

NK86

I don't disagree even though if your attack is good enough, your defense don't need to deal with that much pressure which ours have to. So tbh, with that kind of pressure and even with playing 2 DMs who are shit mostly plus FBs changing every 2-3 games, our defense is as good as you will get.
I don't think this is as good as we will get. I am sure we will see a huge improvement as soon as we have a half decent tactician at the helm.

Perrick Dubois

Whoever was quoted as saying "Three things are certain in life. Death, taxes and Daley Blind losing his man in the box." Was correct. Just excruciating to watch.

prath92

Saw the highlights. Had a poor game. Others did too but that doesn't excuse him. Hopefully he gets back to his best for the next game.

m1y2

got carried away, he should never start for us as CB again, he's just limited as he's as CM and LB, squad player at best him playing the most games in the team just underline the crisis we are in now.. Let's give chance to Axel/Williams in preseason or invest in an actual centre back - Laporte/Stones, if we want to have a playmaker from the back we might as well end up playing mata as CB

prath92

got carried away, he should never start for us as CB again, he's just limited as he's as CM and LB, squad player at best him playing the most games in the team just underline the crisis we are in now.. Let's give chance to Axel/Williams in preseason or invest in an actual centre back - Laporte/Stones, if we want to have a playmaker from the back we might as well end up playing mata as CB
Are you serious? Stones has been 100 times worse than blind this season. And please dont give the 'he is playing bad because of Martinez' crap. For someone who is a CB, he seems to not know the basics of defending

Status
Not open for further replies.