Daley Blind to Ajax| Deal to be done at 16m euros plus 5m in bonuses

Status
Not open for further replies.

automaticflare

Would much rather have seen one of our other center backs go

Daley is a very intelligent footballer and rarely let us down and Imo was as consistent as any of our center backs

Will also always have his screamer of a free kick vs liverpool

Castia

Good deal for us and he'll do well at Ajax

good business all round.

Seven Seas Sardines

I do get why people wanna say their farewells, but claiming that we've lost out and he was good enough or that £14-18m isn't a good deal is ridiculous. The revisionism on here is astounding. He never could cut it in a quick, physical league. Having long balls from deep as main skill-set for a left-back is laughable. Fourth choice left-back, Sixth choice centre-back and unused sixth choice centre-mid is not someone we will miss. I'd prefer giving minutes to Tuanzebe, TFM, Dalot, Pereira and Mitchell than wasting more on the likes of Blind and Darmian.

Good riddance, and long may it continue.

C'est Moi Cantona

The fact that it's only Ajax in for him speaks volumes though .

It's easy to blame Mourinho which seems to be the default option for some.
He's the one who hasn't played him so fair enough surely.

I'll agree he's not world class, but the fact he has got no way near the squad given his obvious qualities compared with other players we have in defence surely says more about Jose than Blind, players like him are just alien to Jose in that position, but that doesn't make him a bad player, a different manager would have had him over most other defenders we currently have imo.

Ekeke

I liked him. Had a decent start in midfield when our CM was pants, had a bit of a slow start at CB but by the end of LVG's time he was doing a good job and played some very nice passes out from the back. I was never really convinced with him at leftback for us, he would get beat to often near the touchline.

I'd say at the current time he's best used as a CB in a 2 or 3 or in CM, will be interesting to see where Ajax use him. I'm also surprised thats where he went. If I was Barcelona I'd have picked him up as a squad player for sure.

Last edited:

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
He's the one who hasn't played him so fair enough surely.

I'll agree he's not world class, but the fact he has got no way near the squad given his obvious qualities compared with other players we have in defence surely says more about Jose than Blind, players like him are just alien to Jose in that position, but that doesn't make him a bad player, a different manager would have had him over most other defenders we currently have imo.
Jose has mistreated many players. That isn't a question.

But Blind is hardly one that could be used as stick to beat him with. Van Gaal who purchased him signed him for midfield where he failed to hold down a spot. He did try him in other positions where Blind did acquit himself well.

Very few managers in this league would have had a Blind like defender as first choice. Not just Jose. Blind has a great football brain but many physical limitations. This is just an attempt to paint Jose as football prehistoric. you have already admitted you hate the guy..but some criticisms are just unwarranted.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Have Ajax always been big spenders in recent times? 10m + on Tadic and now Blind plus anyone else who's gone under the radar.

ti vu

Have Ajax always been big spenders in recent times? 10m + on Tadic and now Blind plus anyone else who's gone under the radar.
They weren't prior as I could recall. They haven't won the league since 2014. Perhaps they try to change their fortune?

C'est Moi Cantona

Jose has mistreated many players. That isn't a question.

But Blind is hardly one that could be used as stick to beat him with. Van Gaal who purchased him signed him for midfield where he failed to hold down a spot. He did try him in other positions where Blind did acquit himself well.

Very few managers in this league would have had a Blind like defender as first choice. Not just Jose. Blind has a great football brain but many physical limitations. This is just an attempt to paint Jose as football prehistoric. you have already admitted you hate the guy..but some criticisms are just unwarranted.
I don't need Blind to help me to do that.. I was merely making a point that Blind has a lot of qualities in a position we are hardly blessed in, especially when you consider he did pretty well at LB too, the fact you have remembered my recent post about Jose doesn't invalidate this.

Perhaps if Jones, Darmian, and Rojo are now shown the door, whilst we also sign a top CB and LB I'll be more of a fan of this, as it is I'm not.

Last edited:

dirkey

This is a good deal. Better to give youth a spot on the bench, and he's definitely not good enough to start anywhere. Don't think he'll be missed at all. Wish him well.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
They used to have some weird rule my Ajax-supporting mate told me about. Like not fetching above 4m or something. They were desperate not to cross the 4m barrier when signing Milik I was told. Hopefully they wake up as it's actually teams like Ajax who suffer the most on this inflated market.

Nick7

Jaysis you would swear he was world class the way some are going on. He was decent. Not good enough to be a starter in any position he played, and I liked him a lot

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Jaysis you would swear he was world class the way some are going on. He was decent. Not good enough to be a starter in any position he played, and I liked him a lot
Don't mind that, Blind has a cult following on here as if he has telekinetic powers due to his football intelligence.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
There are players I'd prefer to have gone before Daley Blind.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Always liked Daley, wish him all the best at Ajax.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I liked him. Had a decent start in midfield when our CM was pants, had a bit of a slow start at CB but by the end of LVG's time he was doing a good job and played some very nice passes out from the back. I was never really convinced with him at leftback for us, he would get beat to often near the touchline.

I'd say at the current time he's best used as a CB in a 2 or 3 or in CM, will be interesting to see where Ajax use him. I'm also surprised thats where he went. If I was Barcelona I'd have picked him up as a squad player for sure.

Aren’t Barca in for the De Jong (who looks an incredible prospect) I read somewhere they are going back in with a second or third bid there. blind will take his place if he goes I assume.

Aloysius's Back 3

Aren’t Barca in for the De Jong (who looks an incredible prospect) I read somewhere they are going back in with a second or third bid there. blind will take his place if he goes I assume.
I have no idea why we won't go for a player Like de Jong. I'd love to see him play as a CB that attacks in to midfield.

Dutchjerry

I'd say at the current time he's best used as a CB in a 2 or 3 or in CM, will be interesting to see where Ajax use him
I think they will play him as a defensive midfielder, with de Jong en van de Beek.

They used to have some weird rule my Ajax-supporting mate told me about. Like not fetching above 4m or something. They were desperate not to cross the 4m barrier when signing Milik I was told. Hopefully they wake up as it's actually teams like Ajax who suffer the most on this inflated market.
They used to have a salary cap at €1 million, that's why Kluivert left. They have almost €200 million ready on the bank, so you could say it's about time they did something with it. Besides that, I believe Milik only cost them 2.5 million, the fee was arranged pre-season.

But to buy Blind from a club like Utd for a sum bigger then when he left, it either desperation or huge ambition. I think it is ambition, Tadic was a really impressive transfer, considering his other options and huge salary (for Dutch terms)

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I think they will play him as a defensive midfielder, with de Jong en van de Beek.

They used to have a salary cap at €1 million, that's why Kluivert left. They have almost €200 million ready on the bank, so you could say it's about time they did something with it. Besides that, I believe Milik only cost them 2.5 million, the fee was arranged pre-season.

But to buy Blind from a club like Utd for a sum bigger then when he left, it either desperation or huge ambition. I think it is ambition, Tadic was a really impressive transfer, considering his other options and huge salary (for Dutch terms)
I think they’d be a lot more dangerous in Europe with a few experienced hands on board to guide the youngsters. Plus blind seems like a model pro. It’s a good signing for them. I’m kind of surprised he’s going back though to be honest. Surely you’d want to test yourself in a better league at that age?

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!

Milik was closer to 4m I think. I also do hope they've finally woken up and show some ambition, also on the market. Like them a lot, always have. One of those clubs that simply got the aura about them.

Roboc7

It’s right decision to move him on, he is nowhere near good enough in midfield and we have lots of better options there now.

Blind isn’t mobile or quick enough to be anything other than a backup at lb and he won’t get a chance to play regularly at cb which is his best position.

He was always going to lose our post LVG, the tactics suited him perfectly and no other manager was ever going to play that way again.

andyjgt1

Supports
Man City
I don't need Blind to help me to do that.. I was merely making a point that Blind has a lot of qualities in a position we are hardly blessed in, especially when you consider he did pretty well at LB too, the fact you have remembered my recent post about Jose doesn't invalidate this.

Perhaps if Jones, Darmian, and Rojo are now shown the door, whilst we also sign a top CB and LB I'll be more of a fan of this, as it is I'm not.
Should have been done last year with Tuanzebe and TFM promoted, maybe even Mitchell too, unless Shaw somehow forces his way in as first choice.

I will never ever understand why Mourinho froze out Blind and Darmian, yet in the cup against Derby, played, er, BLIND at CB, forcing Lindelof to RB (which is not his position, and unlike Smalling and Jones in the past and now Tuanzebe and TFM, he isn't a developmental player so he shouldn't be played there), and, er, DARMIAN on the bench, leaving Tuanzebe, who should have started, in the stands...

C'est Moi Cantona

Should have been done last year with Tuanzebe and TFM promoted, maybe even Mitchell too, unless Shaw somehow forces his way in as first choice.

I will never ever understand why Mourinho froze out Blind and Darmian, yet in the cup against Derby, played, er, BLIND at CB, forcing Lindelof to RB (which is not his position, and unlike Smalling and Jones in the past and now Tuanzebe and TFM, he isn't a developmental player so he shouldn't be played there), and, er, DARMIAN on the bench, leaving Tuanzebe, who should have started, in the stands...
Blind was never going to big and numb enough for Jose in defence, that's the reality, he never stood a chance.

I don't mind him been sold, but we have many other players that are far less talented, though Blind deserves to play, so I wish him well.

el3mel

Good luck for him. Nice lad, just not good enough. Hopefully he plays well for Ajax away from us.

Aloysius's Back 3

I loved watching him play - bought an elegance to our team especially at the back that the rest of the defence does not have.

Would have loved to see him under a manager who isn't trying to create Chelsea 3.0.

Such a shame - one of my favorite players

IrishRedDevil

Thanks and good luck, Daley. Super smart player who would have been deadly with a bit more pace. Fair play to him for that great season at CB under LVG.

stu_1992

Ah well. Goodbye Daley. Decent player. Always liked him and useful as a utility man. Best Season was obviously when he was centre-back under Van Gaal. Ultimately wasn't good enough for this level due to physical restrictions. Ajax a good move.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Best of luck Daley.

crossy1686

career ending
He was a bit shit. Would have never got a move to a team like United if it weren't for LVG working with him at the Holland NT.

People call him an intelligent player but I think being slow on the ball can make you look like you're trying to control the tempo, when actually, your not thinking fast enough to see movement in front of you. Not sure why he decided to rebrand himself as a CB in the PL, he was never going to make it.

Hoof the ball

But for a lack of physical attributes, we'd have been talking about a top class centre-back. Technically speaking, he is absolutely perfect for the left of a back-three. Superb passing vertically, horizontally, between the lines, clever movement, decent positioning. All the technical tools, but short in the athletic department, unfortunately. Great servant, all the same.

Irrational.

A very likeable player and person. I wish him all the best.

A neat and tidy player with a clean shot. I'll never forget his goal Vs Liverpool :drool:

Hoof the ball

He was a bit shit. Would have never got a move to a team like United if it weren't for LVG working with him at the Holland NT.

People call him an intelligent player but I think being slow on the ball can make you look like you're trying to control the tempo, when actually, your not thinking fast enough to see movement in front of you. Not sure why he decided to rebrand himself as a CB in the PL, he was never going to make it.
Not sure I agree with that line of reasoning. Of all our defenders, he was perhaps the only one who was capable of playing passes between the lines. He clearly has a certain level of footballing intelligence to do that, which our other defenders do not have to the same degree, or else we'd see that from them too, and since we don't, well, you do the maths.

Status
Not open for further replies.