In the garden of the Dan Ashworth honey
Don't you know he wants Man You
In the garden of the Dan Ashworth baby
Don't you know he hates the toon

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I think one of the reasons Shearer sounded like a bitter twunt last night was because of this.

Chairman Steve

The quicker we can get him in, the better.

Even though he’s probably been doing some off the book ‘consultant’ calls at the moment with people based out of Greater Manchester for completely unrelated reasons.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
He did go on a bit didn’t he? couldn’t wait for Forest to score and ended up sounding a bellend on the final whistle.
Yep, he's usually OK with us ,all things considered, but last night he was fecking awful.

Cloud7

I still can’t get over how small time this is from Newcastle.

Jim said it quite well. If City, who are actually our rivals and, at this point in time, a much more significant club than Newcastle, can act like adults about one of their men wanting to come to United, then why can’t Newcastle?

Cloud7

I think one of the reasons Shearer sounded like a bitter twunt last night was because of this.
I can’t help but feel like the people around Newcastle might be a bit bitter that no one really cares about their project. In the early days of city there was a lot of interest in who they could sign with their money, and then there was always the narrative of the “plucky” noisy neighbors coming to challenge big, bad United and break up the established top clubs.

Whereas with Newcastle, no one cares. There’s no neutral interest. There’s no narrative. After the big song and dance when this was all announced I can’t help but feel like they thought more people would be interested and it’s just not happened.

Look-a-Hill

I can’t help but feel like the people around Newcastle might be a bit bitter that no one really cares about their project. In the early days of city there was a lot of interest in who they could sign with their money, and then there was always the narrative of the “plucky” noisy neighbors coming to challenge big, bad United and break up the established top clubs.

Whereas with Newcastle, no one cares. There’s no neutral interest. There’s no narrative. After the big song and dance when this was all announced I can’t help but feel like they thought more people would be interested and it’s just not happened.
Chelsea pioneered the moneybags club and it shook up English football. City added a scrappy underdog, David vs Goliath take on the concept. And they're doing it again, but sadly they're out of ideas and all they can think of is to give them silly voices.

L. Robert

Supports
Newcastle
Starting petition like that is truely pathetic, I always though Newcastle had a good loyal fanbase but some of the stuff theyve done in recent times like punching Police Horses and filming themselves chanting about the Munich Air Disaster outside St James Park has put them in a whole new light and show just how horrible a lot of them are.
You're judging the whole fanbase based on one idiot punching a horse or saying a throwaway comment when passing a camera (and the club banned him iirc)? Grow up man ffs.

L. Robert

Supports
Newcastle

FFP has changed the footballing world. It's there to protect the established clubs from any outside threats. I honestly don't think any NUFC fan cares about the general interest on the project. There are only so many times you are eager to see Mbappe and Neymar linked when everyone knows it's fabricated bullshit.

Varun1

I still can’t get over how small time this is from Newcastle.

Jim said it quite well. If City, who are actually our rivals and, at this point in time, a much more significant club than Newcastle, can act like adults about one of their men wanting to come to United, then why can’t Newcastle?
Because this sets a precedent, and they have ambitions too. Besides, why shouldn't they try to get as much as they can.

I don't see a problem with them asking for £20m, doesn't mean they won't settle for less. Or else a tribunal will settle this.

whitbyviking

Read some narrative recently about the Crazy Cat Lady potentially being made bankrupt...
I was reading something about this earlier, a £3.4m investment has suddenly morphed into a £36m debt? Allegations of threatening behaviour and coercion? Shady, like the rest of the Newcastle ownership

L. Robert

Supports
Newcastle
Because this sets a precedent, and they have ambitions too. Besides, why shouldn't they try to get as much as they can.

I don't see a problem with them asking for £20m, doesn't mean they won't settle for less. Or else a tribunal will settle this.
Yeah, I don't think it's small time at all. There's almost a guarantee of some bad blood between Ashworth and the owners, executives and Howe after Ashworth wants to jump ship so quickly after we spend a lot of time and money getting him in couple of years ago. If we paid £5m to Brighton to get him and a massive club like Man Utd (who are fighting for the same spots as us in the league) want him, I would absolutely want £15-20m for him and that extra £10m could really help with FFP which is limiting us badly.

My guess is that it's somewhere close to £12-15m if you are fine with him joining after the summer window, something closer to £20m if you want him instantly. And there will be a solution relatively quickly in any case.

Gandalf

Yeah, I don't think it's small time at all. There's almost a guarantee of some bad blood between Ashworth and the owners, executives and Howe after Ashworth wants to jump ship so quickly after we spend a lot of time and money getting him in couple of years ago. If we paid £5m to Brighton to get him and a massive club like Man Utd (who are fighting for the same spots as us in the league) want him, I would absolutely want £15-20m for him and that extra £10m could really help with FFP which is limiting us badly.

My guess is that it's somewhere close to £12-15m if you are fine with him joining after the summer window, something closer to £20m if you want him instantly. And there will be a solution relatively quickly in any case.
Bad blood is such an infantile way to behave in a business setting though. Newcastle will be the ones poaching and being poached from many times going forward and it is going to do them no favors to get emotional about it. Ashworth cost you 5M, I cannot see his value having doubled in that time and I doubt we give you that but if we did then I think 10M would be the absolute upper limit. You mention FFP and that cuts both ways, you will likely appoint a replacement shortly and the type of appointee you will want could well be under contract somewhere right now so you will be looking at paying compensation and wages for him plus continuing to pay Ashworth. Logically if we offer 8M it is a profit and his wages off your books and it benefits everyone to accept it, if you insist on 20M you probably get nothing, keep paying him until 2026 and enjoy all the FFP headaches that will bring.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty

I reckon City were chosen precisely because they could so easily create that narrative. There's no real reason why their owners couldn't have gone after any of the other mid-table clubs of the time.

The fact that their early chases for success put them in direct opposition to us just added fuel to that fire, especially as we actually pipped them to the first one. Remember the shite surrounding them beating us in the first leg of that league cup semi final, only for us to do them in the second leg? Then a year later they beat us in the FA Cup semi-final on their way to winning it, and had that fecking last gasp winner against QPR to pip us to the league on goal difference the year after that.

Without us being the most dominant team in the country, with everyone else basically waiting for our downfall, their project probably falls a bit flat too.

Chelsea, City and even PSG have made people bored of clubs winning the lottery and charging up their respective table on the back of expensive signings they couldn't afford five minutes prior, they haven't got a proper rival to spin themselves as the underdog against, and people generally find Newcastle fans quite annoying anyway.

There was only a bit of support for them last season because everyone still hates us, and they happened to be up against us in the league cup final and the race for top four.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty

But this is business, not the playground.

Ashworth cost you £5 million when you poached him from Brighton, so demanding too much more than that to stop him moving to us (an objectively bigger club), you're just setting yourselves up for being fleeced by whichever club you want to poach your next Director of Football from.

L. Robert

Supports
Newcastle
But this is business, not the playground.

Ashworth cost you £5 million when you poached him from Brighton, so demanding too much more than that to stop him moving to us (an objectively bigger club), you're just setting yourselves up for being fleeced by whichever club you want to poach your next Director of Football from.
It's almost a guarantee we are getting fleeced in any case just like you are, the selling club won't accept few million less if we were fair on Ashworth and just allowed him to go when he wanted. It's just a fact that objectively bigger club will get asked more, especially when that club is fighting for the same positions in the league.

I'm not that arsed about losing him but think he could help your club a lot in its current state, we are nearing the age where advanced data is available to any club who wants to use it and the importance of one executive is getting smaller and smaller. Others at NUFC have had time to learn what Ashworth thinks is the best possible structure too. I just think it's the right move to be a bit of a dickhead when dealing with this move considering the circumstances, especially when Man Utd were not realistic at all when we were talking about the Lingard loan right after the takeover.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
It's almost a guarantee we are getting fleeced in any case just like you are, the selling club won't accept few million less if we were fair on Ashworth and just allowed him to go when he wanted. It's just a fact that objectively bigger club will get asked more, especially when that club is fighting for the same positions in the league.

I'm not that arsed about losing him but think he could help your club a lot in its current state, we are nearing the age where advanced data is available to any club who wants to use it and the importance of one executive is getting smaller and smaller. Others at NUFC have had time to learn what Ashworth thinks is the best possible structure too. I just think it's the right move to be a bit of a dickhead when dealing with this move considering the circumstances, especially when Man Utd were not realistic at all when we were talking about the Lingard loan right after the takeover.
The money isn't the issue, it's the "being a dickhead" part.

Also, the Lingard thing was fine. There was literally no point us loaning him out when he was out of contract at the end of the season, as it didn't remotely benefit us for him to get game time elsewhere when we could have him available for selection ourselves (should we have needed him). If you wanted him in that January, you should have bought him.

Also, £50 million for Longstaff, wasn't it?

Gandalf

Did you pay up for Lingard? You did not and I don't blame you but by the same logic why on earth would we pay massively over the odds for Ashworth? The idiot running the club when you were quoted those figures for Lingard is long gone and it would be petty in the extreme to use that as justification for being in your words "a bit of a dickhead" towards the new regime. It will likely net you nothing other than a bad reputation and impact your deals negatively going forwards so you ought to hope that someone at your club can behave like an adult and negotiate accordingly.

Varun1

What about the price United were quoted for Longstaff...

United & Newcastle may be fighting for the same spot in the league but United is a far bigger team. I'd get it if Ashworth was jumping ship to a similar size club though.

L. Robert

Supports
Newcastle
What about the price United were quoted for Longstaff...
Congratulations? He's alright but will never be the 'new Carrick' he was hyped up to be. And apparently it doesn't matter as different people were in charge of the clubs.

United & Newcastle may be fighting for the same spot in the league but United is a far bigger team. I'd get it if Ashworth was jumping ship to a similar size club though.
Man United are obviously a bigger club but I don't think it matters if he wanted to join Man United or Shrewsbury Town. Our new owners chose him to be the man to run the club after the takeover and he wants out the very second another club approaches him. Think loyalty and patience just aren't his strengths.

L. Robert

Supports
Newcastle
The money isn't the issue, it's the "being a dickhead" part.

Also, the Lingard thing was fine. There was literally no point us loaning him out when he was out of contract at the end of the season, as it didn't remotely benefit us for him to get game time elsewhere when we could have him available for selection ourselves (should we have needed him). If you wanted him in that January, you should have bought him.

Also, £50 million for Longstaff, wasn't it?
The Lingard thing was all about being a dickhead to a player that had been on the books for over two decades at Man Utd. You had no plans to use him outside of emergencies and were never going to sign another contract with him. He was still in the England squad but didn't make the cut to the Euros due to barely playing after the January window. We probably ended up dodging a bullet there but thought it was unfair on Lingard.

SWE-Chucky

Supports
AIK Stockholm
What a boring way to say nothing.
I often feel that way about Fabrizios tweets, Instagram posts or Youtube clips. That he is often repeating himself for days about some transfers, or just puts up 10 posts with players that many have never heard of being linked to clubs you didnt know exist - but you know also very fast if there is some value to the post, he is often very excited and we have some legendary quotes of his like "HERE WE GO" when you know that the deal is done - very reliable when it comes to not only transfers but also about whats going on behind the scenes.

AneRu

I think you are well within your rights to demand a big fee considering that for intents and purposes we are rivals as our growth prospects mean that we must fight for the same position. You also know that if he succeeds with us and the sooner he does that the more difficult a job you and other clubs have. But at the of the day precedence cuts both ways and there is a risk that this move could end up turning mere administrators into an asset class which commands transfer fees.

AneRu

Congratulations? He's alright but will never be the 'new Carrick' he was hyped up to be. And apparently it doesn't matter as different people were in charge of the clubs.

Man United are obviously a bigger club but I don't think it matters if he wanted to join Man United or Shrewsbury Town. Our new owners chose him to be the man to run the club after the takeover and he wants out the very second another club approaches him. Think loyalty and patience just aren't his strengths.
But is he running the club whilst being excluded from Howe's inner circle? I think it's two factors - he doesn't have the degree of control he wants and it's United calling under his longtime friend.