Dan Ashworth - Newcastle DoF currently tending to his garden

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Perhaps but he doesn't have the same goodwill that Berrada earned at City and has likely angered Newcastle if anything. Ashworth hasn't seen through the job he was brought in to do at Newcastle yet. They want to be compensated for that accordingly.

I don't even like Newcastle and I think their owners are despicable but this would happen at almost any club where the circumstances were the same.
Agree to disagree.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Newcastle were never going to let him join at the start of the window either way. He knows all their targets. If we’d been able to put Kenyon on gardening leave we would have got Robben and who knows how things would have panned out then
Targets probably aren't why they're doing it, given he's probably told us all of that already. They'll just want the general disruption.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
I think Newcastle not wanting him involved this summer is fair and makes perfect sense. Until 4 weeks ago he was heavily involved in their recruitment - you can’t have him just join another club and pass all that on. Everyone will compromise on September.
But everyone and their mum knows, he is going to be involved. Only a question of officially or unofficially. I think it's just a face saving move by Newcastle personally. Especially after all the publicity it's gathered.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
According to Corona, Milan knew exactly what was going on and I agree with him. However this was a time bomb that would cost hundreds of millions to cash strapped clubs. It also had the potential to derail or even ruin careers. There was ample incentive to keep it hush

Maybe ashworth should have asked why Milan was selling their star CM on relatively cheap and why a young Italian international would leave his childhood team to play for a crap hole side. However hindsight is a beautiful thing and I confess I wanted tonali myself

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
According to Corona, Milan knew exactly what was going on and I agree with him. However this was a time bomb that would cost hundreds of millions to cash strapped clubs. It also had the potential to derail or even ruin careers. There was ample incentive to keep it hush

Maybe ashworth should have asked why Milan was selling their star CM on relatively cheap and why a young Italian international would leave his childhood team to play for a crap hole side. However hindsight is a beautiful thing and I confess I wanted tonali myself
On Italians "When an Italian tells me it's pasta on the plate I check under the sauce to make sure. They are the inventors of the smokescreen."

A quote from a wise man.

devilish

On Italians "When an Italian tells me it's pasta on the plate I check under the sauce to make sure. They are the inventors of the smokescreen."

A quote from a wise man.
Well that same man bought veron despite knowing very well the huge scandal surrounding him. Tonali's scandal was very low key in comparison

The series a is a great league to make business in however one needs to thread very carefully in it

crossy1686

career ending
+1 When it is your job, you find a way to know. There is such a thing called private investigators, after all. If fecking FA found out, Ashworth should have known as well.

Everybody makes a mistake, doesn't mean Ashworth is a bad director of football, but it does look bad on his resume
Do you think Tonali was betting under his own name or something? Or maybe walking into the bookies with a fake moustache and putting these bets on?

How do you think the bookies identified it was linked to him? I’ll give you a hint, massive sums of cash, all winners under suspicious bets like yellow cards. They’re the only people who have access to this information, there’s a chance his bank wasn’t even privy to this information.

But yeah, sure, bet you’d have definitely found out this information on him should you have been in the same position. Just hire a private investigator.

alexthelion

+1 When it is your job, you find a way to know. There is such a thing called private investigators, after all. If fecking FA found out, Ashworth should have known as well.

Everybody makes a mistake, doesn't mean Ashworth is a bad director of football, but it does look bad on his resume
:lol: :lol: :lol:

(If serious)

ShinjiNinja26

The Geordies are such small time cnuts. Happy to delay bringing in a replacement for themselves just so they can cause a minor disruption to our summer plans. The funny thing is we’ve got Berrada who can oversee things until Ashworth arrives, who have Newcastle got? Talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Can only imagine how his garden must be looking now.

bringbackbebe

Indeed. Great leaders like Nixon, chairman Mao and Stalin never let a little legality to disrupt their goal. Ashworth should have just changed the laws to make bugging legal instead. How else can a DoF do his job for heavens sake!?

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Targets probably aren't why they're doing it, given he's probably told us all of that already. They'll just want the general disruption.
I just think that if he was allowed work for us officially then it would be fair game for us to continue on with his work (transfer targets and whatever else he was cooking up ) This way if we go for anyone obscure or even that newcastle have been talking to since before he left it’s easy show we are in dispute and how long they have been working on xyz. It’s just a hunch anyway

bringbackbebe

Newcastle were never going to let him join at the start of the window either way. He knows all their targets. If we’d been able to put Kenyon on gardening leave we would have got Robben and who knows how things would have panned out then
Kenyon WAS on gardening leave and they still got Robben. He was a naughty naughty fellow
;);)

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I just think that if he was allowed work for us officially then it would be fair game for us to continue on with his work (transfer targets and whatever else he was cooking up ) This way if we go for anyone obscure or even that newcastle have been talking to since before he left it’s easy show we are in dispute and how long they have been working on xyz. It’s just a hunch anyway
We likely have all our targets already. I'd be surprised if he knew of any players that we didn't already know about.

devilish

https://notiziemilan.it/clamoroso-c...a Sandro Tonali,lecito sia su quello illecito.

Milan knew. They say they didn't to avoid being taken to court but everything points that they knew. Else why would they sell such huge talent on relatively cheap and why on earth would tonali join such a crap hole of a team?

However I can't fault ashworth on it. Ashworth is a sporting director. He is neither a sewer rat like Corona is or the police. There is a limit to the scrutiny a sporting director can do

devilish

The Geordies are such small time cnuts. Happy to delay bringing in a replacement for themselves just so they can cause a minor disruption to our summer plans. The funny thing is we’ve got Berrada who can oversee things until Ashworth arrives, who have Newcastle got? Talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face.
The funny thing is that ashworth will probably have a minor say on the matter. A SD is the orchestra conductor. His role is to make sure that every department is working efficiently and is communicating well with one another. His direct role in recruitment is relatively small especially if we go for a HoR

devilish

They paid over 60 million for him, by which standards is that relatively cheap?
That's 10m more that we paid Fred for and 10m less to what we paid for Atalanta reserve striker. We are talking here of a young Italian international whose talent outclasses Fred in a significant way

Lemoor

That's 10m more that we paid Fred for. We are talking here of a young Italian international whose talent outclasses Fred in a significant way
We obviously massively overpaid for Fred, he really isn't a reasonable benchmark. As far as I see people at the time were mostly saying that they overpaid there too.

devilish

We obviously massively overpaid for Fred, he really isn't a reasonable benchmark. As far as I see people at the time were mostly saying that they overpaid there too.
Tonali was considered one of the most promising and established CM in the Serie A and a key player at Milan. We paid 10m more for Atalanta's reserve forward

Teja

Does anyone really care about the Tonali deal? It's just Newcastle and their fan brigade clutching at straws. He looked like a proper signing for them when he first came in.

Lemoor

Tonali was considered one of the most promising and established CM in the Serie A and a key player at Milan. We paid 10m more for Atalanta's reserve forward
And Chelsea paid over 40 million more for Caicedo. And yet everywhere I try to check now people were laughing at this fee as too high at the time. There is no need to rewrite history.

Does anyone really care about the Tonali deal? It's just Newcastle and their fan brigade clutching at straws. He looked like a proper signing for them when he first came in.
Luke Edwards pretends he really does, but he's a complete clown.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Exactly. He was looking like an excellent signing and the price was fair. Why would he go to Newcastle? Because they were aiming to be the new City/Chelsea. It’s not that hard to understand at all.

devilish

And Chelsea paid over 40 million more for Caicedo. And yet everywhere I try to check now people were laughing at this fee as too high at the time. There is no need to rewrite history.

Which makes tonali dead cheap. 60m for Milan's proven midfielder and a club favourite was cheap. fabrizio Corona (IE the guy who outed all of this) made a similar argument to what I did. If Milan needed money (which is not the case) they could have easily done it by selling maignan or leao.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
https://notiziemilan.it/clamoroso-corona-il-milan-sapeva-tonali-scommetteva-sulle-sue-ammonizioni-andatele-a-vedere/notizie/#:~:text=Fabrizio Corona attacca Sandro Tonali,lecito sia su quello illecito.

Milan knew. They say they didn't to avoid being taken to court but everything points that they knew. Else why would they sell such huge talent on relatively cheap and why on earth would tonali join such a crap hole of a team?

However I can't fault ashworth on it. Ashworth is a sporting director. He is neither a sewer rat like Corona is or the police. There is a limit to the scrutiny a sporting director can do
Yup. Tonali probably knew he was being investigated too which was why he was such a miserable sod during his contract signing at Newcastle.

Tonali will probably leave back to Milan on a free once his current contract ends and all his suspension is served :lol:

croadyman

I think they will just accelerate the Cox and Friedman appointments but if they don't come in now it's almost too late anyway.
Still think there is an outside chance of Ward getting the job,thought Cox was more to do with the academy or am I totally mistaken on that

Last edited:

devilish

Yup. Tonali probably knew he was being investigated too which was why he was such a miserable sod during his contract signing at Newcastle.

Tonali will probably leave back to Milan on a free once his current contract ends and all his suspension is served :lol:
I had been following the Serie A for long enough to know how things work. In such cases the top clubs will close ranks, they keep it hush up until someone starts pointing fingers. Prior or at the early stages to that, players start being sold abroad, veron in the passport scandal case and tonali in this case

However it's ridiculous to expect a foreign SD to know what's happening. As said these clubs will close ranks, agents and players will play ball + the police will keep it's gob shut to avoid info from being leaked before time. It takes a disrupter like Corona for info to be leaked before time. Ashworth can't be Corona

devilish

Bingo!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
They paid over 60 million for him, by which standards is that relatively cheap?
It was a hilariously dim post.
60m being incredibly cheap, and joining a "craphole" team, as if it's joining Oldham Athletic. :lol:

croadyman

No. He’s a fecking clown, the sooner he’s out of making transfer decisions the better.
I don’t want him anywhere near things, however Berrada hasn't started yet and we are still putting together our recruitment structure

Lemoor

Which makes tonali dead cheap. 60m for Milan's proven midfielder and a club favourite was cheap. fabrizio Corona (IE the guy who outed all of this) made a similar argument to what I did. If Milan needed money (which is not the case) they could have easily done it by selling maignan or leao.
No, it means that cherrypicking can be used to justify anything. Just look at any threads from that time and count people saying that they got him cheaply.

devilish

No, it means that cherrypicking can be used to justify anything. Just look at any threads from that time and count people saying that they got him cheaply.
I followed the deal closely mainly because I wanted tonali at united but also because Milan is one of my favourite clubs. I was shocked to see tonali leave for so cheap and most Milan fans thought the same. It was like selling garnacho for 60m

That doesn't mean I blame ashworth for it and doing so would be cruel. This was a criminal case involving one of the biggest scandals in the past 5 years. The police, the Clubs, the players and agents kept it hush for obvious reasons. It does explain though why I don't mind having maldini as technical director. Can you see fletcher pulling that one off?