Dan Ashworth - Newcastle DoF currently tending to his garden

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I don’t want him anywhere near things, however Berrada hasn't started yet and we are still putting together our recruitment structure
I’ll rather we do no business this summer than let Murtough waste money and cripple us when we finally have a proper DOF in place.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I followed the deal closely mainly because I wanted tonali at united but also because Milan is one of my favourite clubs. I was shocked to see tonali leave for so cheap and most Milan fans thought the same. It was like selling garnacho for 60m

That doesn't mean I blame ashworth for it and doing so would be cruel. This was a criminal case involving one of the biggest scandals in the past 5 years. The police, the Clubs, the players and agents kept it hush for obvious reasons. It does explain though why I don't mind having maldini as technical director. Can you see fletcher pulling that one off?
You're talking an almost bigger load of bollocks than Edwards which is quite impressive!

dabronxolivera

Supports
Al Hilal
I'd be annoyed if we didn't have Berrarda. Feck Newcastle, enjoy paying him to do nothing you cnuts.
Just a small club from North East as the great sage SAF once said. Small time mentality bullshit. Even with all the Saudi money they are really a small club

Do you think Tonali was betting under his own name or something? Or maybe walking into the bookies with a fake moustache and putting these bets on?

How do you think the bookies identified it was linked to him? I’ll give you a hint, massive sums of cash, all winners under suspicious bets like yellow cards. They’re the only people who have access to this information, there’s a chance his bank wasn’t even privy to this information.

But yeah, sure, bet you’d have definitely found out this information on him should you have been in the same position. Just hire a private investigator.
He's talking as if it is as easy as hiring fecking Sherlock. There are almost zero way he can find out about this shit.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
The idea of no business is a nightmare
fecking up our future with terrible signings is the real nightmare. It’s why we’re stuck with Sancho and Anthony whom we’ve severely overpaid and given stupidly high wages to. Giving Murtough another summer to feck up our summer will set us back years.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Do you think Tonali was betting under his own name or something? Or maybe walking into the bookies with a fake moustache and putting these bets on?

How do you think the bookies identified it was linked to him? I’ll give you a hint, massive sums of cash, all winners under suspicious bets like yellow cards. They’re the only people who have access to this information, there’s a chance his bank wasn’t even privy to this information.

But yeah, sure, bet you’d have definitely found out this information on him should you have been in the same position. Just hire a private investigator.
There were rumors he was into that shit way before FA caught on. You are making a fecking addict into some kind of MI6 operative. How do you think FA found out, if he was so secretive?

Indeed. Great leaders like Nixon, chairman Mao and Stalin never let a little legality to disrupt their goal. Ashworth should have just changed the laws to make bugging legal instead. How else can a DoF do his job for heavens sake!?
Where did I say anything about bugging or doing anything illegal? For the last time - FA found out, without breaking laws, maybe you should let an assumption fly that somebody else could have, as well.. .somebody like Ashworth. I think you are too invested in Ashworth, and can't stand an idea that he may not be perfect.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Newcastle: Ashworth is shit, he should’ve spotted Tonali was gambling. His legacy is shredded.

Also Newcastle: We’d rather cripple ourselves by having no sporting director than let you pay us a reasonable fee to have Ashworth by the summer.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
You're talking an almost bigger load of bollocks than Edwards which is quite impressive!
Look mate I have followed the Serie A for decades. I know Italian + I brought information from Fabrizio Corona who was one of the first to leak this scandal to the public.

However please tell me were you disagree

gajender

Ashworth only fault in Tonali's transfer and which should concern United more rather than this gambling nonsense is the sanctioning such huge outlay on a player who is only slightly above average .

Last edited:

devilish

Fabrizio Corona is the best celebrity photographer in Italy. He is a sort of Italian version of varys from Got as he knows everyone and everything celebrity wise. The guy is quite in the know of what is happening and is dragging the names of various players who were involved in the scandal in the open.

Chairman Steve

It’s not Ashworth’s fault that some footballers are dumb as feck and don’t realise that them betting on football games is roughly in the same realm of insider trading on securities and investments.

I imagine after this and Toney that clubs will be delving more into the personal lives of footballers as part of their background checks.

crossy1686

career ending
There were rumors he was into that shit way before FA caught on. You are making a fecking addict into some kind of MI6 operative. How do you think FA found out, if he was so secretive?
Rumours? Where? You know the gossip on the Italian black markets? Maybe a private investigator would have known?

He got caught because the bookies have a duty to hand over any information they deem to be insider betting to the police, who in turn contact the FA once they've done a full investigation. Again, without the actually bookies information it's almost impossible to tell from the outside, but some bloke called Dan Ashworth should have known this apparently...

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
I wouldn't hold Tonali against him. All DOFs have made a mistake, and that's if he even has. At the end of the day we are starting from a negative, so his addition, if it ever comes to fruition, will take us leaps and bounds forward.

It’s not Ashworth’s fault that some footballers are dumb as feck and don’t realise that them betting on football games is roughly in the same realm of insider trading on securities and investments.

I imagine after this and Toney that clubs will be delving more into the personal lives of footballers as part of their background checks.
I feel this is something Sir Alex took very seriously, and the complete abandonment of it when he left has played a significant part into our current demise.

NewGlory

Rumours? Where? You know the gossip on the Italian black markets? Maybe a private investigator would have known?

He got caught because the bookies have a duty to hand over any information they deem to be insider betting to the police, who in turn contact the FA once they've done a full investigation. Again, without the actually bookies information it's almost impossible to tell from the outside, but some bloke called Dan Ashworth should have known this apparently...
Ok, you seem to have it all figured out. Nobody could have known. Tonali was an Italian James Bond. I am so sorry to have questioned Ashworth. My bad

C'est Moi Cantona

Let them think that if it helps them cope.
I suppose you'd try and do the same if in the similar position.

But as far as I work out they're paying him, he'll very likely be in the loop for us, and Newcastle currently don't have a replacement.

It seems very self defeating as he it's not like we're ever going meet their demands at this point.

bringbackbebe

Where did I say anything about bugging or doing anything illegal? For the last time - FA found out, without breaking laws, maybe you should let an assumption fly that somebody else could have, as well.. .somebody like Ashworth. I think you are too invested in Ashworth, and can't stand an idea that he may not be perfect.
I really don't know more about Ashworth than what I read in news, so I really don't understand the consequences of hiring him. I'll leave that to INEOS.

I also don't believe anyone in his position could have averted that threat. It required unveiling a detailed web of dealings that are far beyond the powers of a simple sporting director. FA has far more informational sources to consolidate since regulation IS their job.

Crimson King

I suppose you'd try and do the same if in the similar position.

But as far as I work out they're paying him, he'll very likely be in the loop for us, and Newcastle currently don't have a replacement.

It seems very self defeating as he it's not like we're ever going meet their demands at this point.
Of course you'd try to spin the PR to suit your own club's narrative, we've seen it at United plenty of times.

Losing Ashworth is a blow to Newcastle, but it's nowhere near as important as some people have made out. It just makes a good story for journos, more than anything. Newcastle have still put most of their structure in place, and finding someone else to take over from him won't be that difficult.

I think we see it as more of a boost to us because we've had to deal with complete tunnel vision from the Glazers and their puppets for so long. Even if Ashworth doesn't help bring any real success and he's part of a regime that is eventually seen as a failure, we're all just happy to see something different.

SparkedIntoLife

James from The Muppetiers was suggesting that United are exploring other (temporary) options. The implication, from what I could tell, was that we'd look to bring in an older transfer-focused DoF type as a stop-gap for when Ashworth would be finished his gardening leave. I'd guess this also means an impasse with Palace for Dougie Freedman, if he is indeed the preferred Head of Recruitment INEOS are targeting. James also noted that INEOS are always considering contingencies but this could be mostly a negotiating tactic.

bringbackbebe

James from The Muppetiers was suggesting that United are exploring other (temporary) options. The implication, from what I could tell, was that we'd look to bring in an older transfer-focused DoF type as a stop-gap for when Ashworth would be finished his gardening leave. I'd guess this also means an impasse with Palace for Dougie Freedman, if he is indeed the preferred Head of Recruitment INEOS are targeting. James also noted that INEOS are always considering contingencies but this could be mostly a negotiating tactic.
Rangnick?

Actually a DoF position shouldn't be filled that way. The DoF basically defines the long term culture at the club & too many transitions at that level in the short term will be catastrophic.

SparkedIntoLife

Rangnick?

Actually a DoF position shouldn't be filled that way. The DoF basically defines the long term culture at the club & too many transitions at that level in the short term will be catastrophic.
I totally hear that. The only thing I wonder is whether there will also be someone as DOF of INEOS’ multi-club model.

Say, for instance, City weren’t budging on Omar Berrada. We probably would’ve had Blanc cover him but, from what it seems, Blanc is staying as part of the wider INEOS group.

Maybe someone like Rangnick or Mitchell comes in at United but then ‘goes upstairs’ to INEOS.

Giggsy13

Not surprised how incredibly small time and petty Newcastle have been with Ashworth, it stinks of bitterness. Thankfully Berrada will be coming in to ease the transition and the club will cope just fine this summer.

Lemoor

I wouldn't hold Tonali against him. All DOFs have made a mistake, and that's if he even has. At the end of the day we are starting from a negative, so his addition, if it ever comes to fruition, will take us leaps and bounds forward.
It's not about holding Tonali against him. Newcastle, like most PL clubs, have multiple people that have *some* responsibility for recruitment and from a fan perspective it's completely impossible to discern whether the one responsible for background checks would be Ashworth, Nickson (and he was the one photographed in Milan for example around those negotiations) or maybe somebody else. It is something that United owners should be looking into, but for fans it's going to always be completely fruitless and just result in a lot of dumb speculation.
Saying that, the original tweet was about how much of a clown Luke Edwards is and that part is difficult to deny.

Lemoor

I followed the deal closely mainly because I wanted tonali at united but also because Milan is one of my favourite clubs. I was shocked to see tonali leave for so cheap and most Milan fans thought the same. It was like selling garnacho for 60m

That doesn't mean I blame ashworth for it and doing so would be cruel. This was a criminal case involving one of the biggest scandals in the past 5 years. The police, the Clubs, the players and agents kept it hush for obvious reasons. It does explain though why I don't mind having maldini as technical director. Can you see fletcher pulling that one off?
This is just going in circles. You can literally check the sentiment of people from the time of the transfer and for me finding people, supporting Milan or not, saying that 70 million is anywhere close what they were expecting for him seems almost impossible. Seriously, almost everywhere I looked the most popular sentiment was 'good player, but way too big fee for his ability'. Claiming that the fee was suspiciously low at the time seems just like pure revisionism to me.
As to the second part, I don't think you can reasonably say a lot about Ashworth's involvement here and I have absolutely no idead what Maldini and Fletcher have to do with any of this and why they are being brought up here at all.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Due diligence is finding out stuff like Sancho having a tendency to turn up late to training and staying up playing games into the late hours which was known before his move (especially as a few of our players played with him): https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...ussia-Dortmund-training-sleeping-problem.html

Gambling problems are a lot, lot harder to find out before the bookies, police and the relative FA do. City were so close to signing Paqueta before the betting investigation was announced.

devilish

This is just going in circles. You can literally check the sentiment of people from the time of the transfer and for me finding people, supporting Milan or not, saying that 70 million is anywhere close what they were expecting for him seems almost impossible. Seriously, almost everywhere I looked the most popular sentiment was 'good player, but way too big fee for his ability'. Claiming that the fee was suspiciously low at the time seems just like pure revisionism to me.
As to the second part, I don't think you can reasonably say a lot about Ashworth's involvement here and I have absolutely no idead what Maldini and Fletcher have to do with any of this and why they are being brought up here at all.
How many people in redcafe closely follow the Serie A enough to know what Tonali brings on the table?

crossy1686

career ending
Ok, you seem to have it all figured out. Nobody could have known. Tonali was an Italian James Bond. I am so sorry to have questioned Ashworth. My bad
Well you’d have spotted it apparently, just hire a private investigator. Send your CV in while Ashworth is in limbo, you’ll surely get the job.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
The fee for Tonali was about right IMO. Wouldn't say it was cheap or too much. Good player but not a great player.

Withnail

Come on mate. It's a ridiculous take from you. As Crossy said the betting companies spot this stuff and bring it the police. They aren't going to spill it to a DOF from another country or a private investigator, now are they?

the_box

Supports
Newcastle United
:lol: It's just internet armchair experts pretending they would have gotten something right long after the fact. Just pure hindsightism. "Well, any competent DoF will hire 3 separate detectives to fully investigate any player they're even thinking of signing. Really poor showing here from Dan and NUFC to let this slip through the cracks." Not even worth engaging with.

devilish

I was never talking exclusively about redcafe.
Tonali's criticism mainly stems because fans keeps comparing him with Pirlo. That's something he himself had criticized. He consider himself more of a technical version of Gattuso then a Pirlo (his words). The guy is a terrier whose very physical and could run all day. On top of that he's got an eye for that killer pass. During his last season at Milan he amassed 10 assists which is more then De Bruyne this season and more then Rashford and Garnacho combined.

Now I went to check what Milan fans thought about the deal and while they was some anger towards him (Milan tried to portray him as a mercenary), most of them were furious at them selling him. Tonali was young, he was a Milan fan, he was extremely talented and he always gave his 100% to the team. His departure (that followed Maldini and Ibra) was considered as yet another attempt from the new owners to cash in on Milan and out of the untouchables (Maignan, Theo, Tonali and Leao), most preferred if they sold Maignan. Its really like us selling Mainoo.

Which lead to what Corona said which suggest that Milan knew. Again he mentions why they didn't sell Maignan if they needed money (which they didn't) rather then Tonali. Milan thought that selling him would get rid of the problem. Again that's Corona words not mine.

NewGlory

Come on mate. It's a ridiculous take from you. As Crossy said the betting companies spot this stuff and bring it the police. They aren't going to spill it to a DOF from another country or a private investigator, now are they?
I already said, I am sorry I questions almight Ashworth, not sure what else you want me to do?

It wasn't a ridiculous take. When somebody is an addict (gambling, drinking, drugs - mostly the same) it's almost impossible for them to hide it from their inner circle. And once couple people know, their girlfriends know, cousins know etc. etc. - word spreads. You lot seem to think Tonali is some kind of mastermind of conspiracy, I doubt he is. So people knew and once people knew, once there were rumors, it's not just betting companies spilling to police that you can find these kinds of things out from.

Anyway, like I said - I am sorry I questioned the almighty Ashworth. He is the most amazing thing since sliced bread. I am going to just sit and wait when he transforms us into second coming of Man City.

Yakuza_devils

We need this guy to start immediately to get new manager and players in for next season. Need to get ready prior to pre-season to allow the team enough time to get used to the new manager and system.

For the last decade we were always poorly prepared for the new season.

Withnail

I already said, I am sorry I questions almight Ashworth, not sure what else you want me to do?

It wasn't a ridiculous take. When somebody is an addict (gambling, drinking, drugs - mostly the same) it's almost impossible for them to hide it from their inner circle. And once couple people know, their girlfriends know, cousins know etc. etc. - word spreads. You lot seem to think Tonali is some kind of mastermind of conspiracy, I doubt he is. So people knew and once people knew, once there were rumors, it's not just betting companies spilling to police that you can find these kinds of things out from.

Anyway, like I said - I am sorry I questioned the almighty Ashworth. He is the most amazing thing since sliced bread. I am going to just sit and wait when he transforms us into second coming of Man City.
What a ridiculous over reaction to be being called out on a dumb post :lol:

Nobody said the guy was infallible.

Last edited: