Dani Olmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Any reliable sources confirming this? Can only see the metro on google.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
From what I'm reading is it is likely to have been a leak from the club to SN, but whether it's true or not is another matter.

izec

So i am taking SN are shit then going by our Croatian posters on here. Meh.

These out of nowhere type of transfers get me excited. Ben Yedder is another one, there is just something about a local paper calling a transfer out of nowhere without any previous links whatsoever.

I watched the U21s, thought he looked in good company alongside Oyarzabal, Ruiz and Ceballos. Heard from a commentator Croatia want him to play for their senior team. Dont know how good his chances are to play for Spain a few years down the line, but if he is talented enough, not sure i would take it.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
maybe not surprisingly, I've never heard of him. but judging by the way things are going: if he's under the age of 21 we want him. this is not going to end well

Yagami

Good post resistant
Saw him against Benfica last year and he impressed. He's pretty much the Spanish McGinn.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Noooooooooooo.... it will mean that we wont get the Villa superstar, John Messi McGinn.

We are doomed now.
Funny you say this as, when deployed in central midfield which is where I saw Olmo in the Europa, they're like for like.

DickDastardly

So i am taking SN are shit then going by our Croatian posters on here. Meh.

These out of nowhere type of transfers get me excited. Ben Yedder is another one, there is just something about a local paper calling a transfer out of nowhere without any previous links whatsoever.

I watched the U21s, thought he looked in good company alongside Oyarzabal, Ruiz and Ceballos. Heard from a commentator Croatia want him to play for their senior team. Dont know how good his chances are to play for Spain a few years down the line, but if he is talented enough, not sure i would take it.
Yeah, SN - Sportske novosti or Sport News translated are wank.
Although, the reporter who wrote the paper, is pretty close to Dinamo.
And his agent laughed at the notion of United. But a cheekish laugh, "i can't comment on that at the moment".

So who knows.

Mark Pawelek

Perfect. If, next season, United play 3 man midfield with 1 anchor and 2 attackers. He will play in cup matches & substitute for Bruno or Pogba when they are injured.

For:
-- Defending is better than the average attacking midfielder. Making him a kind of box-to-box (more of an attacking #8, not a classical #10)
-- High-work rate player. So perfect for Ole.
-- Better attacking threat from midfield than any current United midfielder apart from Pogba.
Against:
-- Not a #7 either (then who is?)

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Whether our interest is true or not, this guy won't be in Croatia for much longer, he's far too good for that.

stepic

so much for the source being the 'BBC equivalent'. where did you get that rubbish deafepl?

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Is he a winger?
Nope, not a winger. He is comparable to someone like Paquetá — who sometimes played wide as an inside forward of sorts at Flamengo, but is primarily a versatile offensive midfielder and will develop along those lines at Milan. Spain can play Olmo or Fornals (nominal #10 with Villarreal) out wide because they're better at managing the flanks and base their game on possession through the offensive and central midfielders, but a similar approach won't work at United because the brand-new fullback isn't particularly threatening in offense in what is likely to be more of a counter-based approach, so you'll end up wasting this portion of the pitch:
Could be a decent alternative to Bruno as a #10/8 hybrid in a 3 man midfield, though...depending on Pogba's pressing consistency and the competence of the holding midfielder.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Nope, not a winger. He is comparable to someone like Paquetá — who sometimes played wide as an inside forward of sorts at Flamengo, but is primarily a versatile offensive midfielder and will develop along those lines at Milan. Spain can play Olmo or Fornals (nominal #10 with Villarreal) out wide because they're better at managing the flanks and base their game on possession through the offensive and central midfielders, but a similar approach won't work at United because the brand-new fullback isn't particularly threatening in offense in what is likely to be more of a counter-based approach, so you'll end up wasting this portion of the pitch:

Could be a decent alternative to Bruno as a #10/8 hybrid in a 3 man midfield, though...depending on Pogba's pressing consistency and the competence of the holding midfielder.
That's what I am thinking. However I think we'll either signing Olmo or Bruno. I can't see us spending 100m on two no 10s especially since we've just given a relatively long term contract to Mata.

Thanks for the info.

Mark Pawelek

That's what I am thinking. However I think we'll either signing Olmo or Bruno. I can't see us spending 100m on two no 10s especially since we've just given a relatively long term contract to Mata.

Thanks for the info.
Bruno, Olmo and Mata are different kinds of players. I think:
1. either Pogba or Bruno will be rested for cup games, so Dani can play in them. He will get games.
2. Dani will also be a reserve in case Bruno or Pogba are injured.
3. Dani can also substitute for Pogba towards the end of a game; when United often go to sleep & concede late goals because team can't be arsed to run for 95 minutes. Dani has better work-rate.
4. Mata's defense just isn't there. He's a luxury/impact player.

I can definitely see Ole paying £35m for Olmo. Current squad are not good enough to win PL or ECL. They are not even top 4; all need replacing unless they buck up.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

At Milan? Is that a done deal, then?

He looks really classy from the YouTubes. Would love a signing like this, personally.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
At Milan? Is that a done deal, then?
That was in reference to Paquetá, who joined Milan in the winter window! :lol:
He looks really classy from the YouTubes. Would love a signing like this, personally.
Oh, he is definitely classy — however, I'm not sure how this United team can accommodate him...
  • As a #8/10 hybrid with Pogba, you'll have to worry about the defensive robustness of our midfield because we don't have a high collective workrate (not referring to just individual pieces), aren't very good or organized at pressing/counterpressing, and don't have a mobile and positionally astute holding midfielder.
  • As a right sided attacking midfielder who drifts inwards, he will need a wingback to engage the opposition fullback on the flank ⁠— but the £45-50 million right fullback we have recently acquired isn't renowned for his forays in the final third and is more of a defensive expert who is merely functional in attack.
So even though he's classy, there's reason to be wary from an overall “fit” perspective unless certain issues are addressed. The most interesting midfielder from Spain's U-21 winners from United's perspective is Ruiz, IMO (thought he would have been a better option than Milinković-Savić last year as well when he has a €30 million release clause at Betis). Much better fit with Pogba, and can operate in most central midfield roles in box-to-box or holding capacities (also quite good as an outside midfielder in a narrow scheme, like Saúl under Simeone).

SparkedIntoLife

This would be such a smart signing. Croatian fans on r/Soccer rave about him and he looks very talented to me. I can see Pogba being sold and Olmo and Fernandes lining up as attacking midfielders in a 4222 type formation.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
How many midfielders are we getting? This dude, Bruno, Longstaff.
Well at the minute we have Pogba, Matic, Fred, McTominay, and Pereira.

Two kids with respectable minutes, but neither proven much at all. One central midfielder in his second season at England (after a bit of a disastrous first), one on his last legs, and one who is top class but is just as likely to be leaving as he is staying...

Central midfield is a position we could do with recruitment in, to say the least.

Andersons Dietician

Ole don’t make the same mistake Moyes did in not cherry picking the best of the Spain under 21 teams winners. Thiago,Isco and a few others should have been bought that summer but this dude looks like he could be something special.

Looks more worthy of an unzipping that Slabhead or Fernandes.

red thru&thru

If we're interested in this guy, who wouldn't come that we have been linked to? Madison? Bruno?

GamerKurisu

I would actually be more excited if we signed this guy rather than Bruno!

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
For me, he is better than Joao Felix.

Olmo was brilliant this season. Best 11 in every competition he played, Croatian league, Europa League, EURO U21.

I would take him in a heartbeat.
Ye I've watched him a few times and the match against Benfica. Was the standout player in the pitch for me. Classy but plays with maturity and self confidence.

CM

He looks very good technically from the video I've seen but I'd never heard of him before this morning. There's a dearth of creativity in this team at the moment though so any midfield who can carry the ball well and pick a decent pass would be a welcome addition.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
If we're interested in this guy, who wouldn't come that we have been linked to? Madison? Bruno?
I don't think we'd sign either if we signed Olmo. Olmo i've only read about and he seems to be a AM/#10, similar to Bruno and Maddison and would cost considerably less.

Status
Not open for further replies.