5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

redIndianDevil

Didn't see the match but from what I can gather he seems to have had a bit of a tough time.

Think it's way too early to compare him to Lingard. It's true that as of right now he seems most useful as an impact sub, but I'm pretty sure his mentality will take him further than Lingard when it comes to technique and end product. Just needs to be given more time to develop. All players have bad games, and I'm sure he learned a lot from this experience.
Yes he had a bit of an average game but it was so much better than previous year where our only option was Valencia. He'd do well if given chances regularly, his pace, pressing and enterprise was good, if he could just improve his final ball, he'd be pretty good.

jesperjaap

Not enough quality. He can be devastating coming of the bench as a super sub. But, he should not be near the first team. Lingard as well. Maybe it because he is not a right attacker? Whatever the case is, United need urgent surgery in our attack on the right and through the middle. I would have Gomes, Greenwood, Pereira and Chong ahead
Yeah both him and Lingard with there movement and pace probably be mor eeffective against the better sides playing counter attacking football....even then you can ask the question of quality and better players.

Its early days so we have to give him time, great pace and workrate, though hated the diving but initial thoughts are is he just a bit of a Walcott, all pace and little quality?

Greck

Let's try fasttracking Greenwood instead. Let's put it this way, if James was from our academy no one would think him ready to start tough away games.

ScarleyUtd

I don't think he had a bad game. He kept going, got some good balls into the box and was scaring them to death with his pace. Look how many times they fouled him. It was his second game for United, give the lad a chance....

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
If the ref wasn't a cock he'd have at least one man sent off for kicking him, I thought he did his job well overall.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
It's not traditional winger strength, but his tracking back is unreal. Him and Wan Bissaka will certainly nullify most counter threats on that side.

Micky Targaryen

I acknowledge that forums are for opinions but the state of some of the posts on here..... Jeez.

21 year old from Swansea City playing his second ever game in his first ever Premier League season. And people are already concluded that he has not enough quality or best used as a sub. Amazing scouts we have here. Honestly, what are you guys expecting?

Best way to realise potential for any youngster is to throw them in the deep end and starting games in the PL is the way to go, IMO.

Thiagoal

I acknowledge that forums are for opinions but the state of some of the posts on here..... Jeez.

21 year old from Swansea City playing his second ever game in his first ever Premier League season. And people are already concluded that he has not enough quality or best used as a sub. Amazing scouts we have here. Honestly, what are you guys expecting?

Best way to realise potential for any youngster is to throw them in the deep end and starting games in the PL is the way to go, IMO.
I agree! Although personally would rather give the minutes to Greenwood whom I believe will show far more creativity and productivity than James does at this stage

Greck

Read your own description of him. Is it really a ridiculous suggestion that he might not ready for a bigger role? Even our academy products earn the role

Marcelinho87

Will be a distant memory in 5 years
I like the guy and hope he does well here, which I think he will.

But to say he will be a distant memory, haha.... Have you seen our ability to shift players on who don't cut the mustard? If he fails here he will more than likely be filling in at RB than he would be moving on.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Needs to stop going down so easily - some of them were embarassing.

I remember one great move to go past his man in the 2nd half, plus he worked hard all game.

He deserves plenty of time to settle.

welshwingwizard

Thats a fair line of argunent but so is the conclusion that if you are going to do that it has to be in his true position.

He didn't look great on tour against other youngsters (who as others have said deserved the chance above him based on merit on tour) but he looked truly off pace on the right and noticiably more comfortable on the left. He even said as such.

So why are we playing him on the right where he could lose confidence?

Kevin_

Don’t blame him for going down at times he’s that quick and even a slight touch would knock him off balance.

Thought he put in a good shift today, worked hard thought Mason should have come on for him earlier though.

BlackBen

He had an ok game. And he improved significantly on his first half performance.

People are forgetting that he's more of a left winger than a rw. It's the reason he's struggling a bit. It's like sticking Hazard, Neymar, or even Tony Martial on the right hand side. Let's be patient with him.

Devil81

The lad needs bringing in slowly, it's a huge jump from playing for Swansea to being expected to perform for United.

I'd also note it's much harder to play knock and run football against elite level players, defenders will play a way that doesn't allow those burst of pace attacks he loves. We've got to be clever and find the ball in behind in a similar way the two Silva's do for Sane and Sterling at City.

I personally thought he played quite decent. Looked comfortable when running with the ball/dribbling and there are signs that he can put in a good ball from the RW. Of course he needs plenty of time to improve.

Last edited:

Beaucoup

I like the guy and hope he does well here, which I think he will.

But to say he will be a distant memory, haha.... Have you seen our ability to shift players on who don't cut the mustard? If he fails here he will more than likely be filling in at RB than he would be moving on.
The next manager will drop him like a brick, you don’t need twenty games to see this lad is an average footballer who happens to be quick, his technique is poor. Nowhere near Utd quality.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He needs to cut out the playing for a foul non-sense. He was going down every time he got the ball last night.

He is bloody rapid but little else tbh. He hasn't shown anything to deserve time and chances ahead of Mason, Angel, or Chong.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I thought he played fine.

People said he was a speed merchant but his link up play was more than good enough.

Yes he needs to stop hitting the ground so easy, especially in away matches. You could tell the ref got suspicious and stopped giving him fouls unless they were nailed on.

If he can work on his final delivery he will be a real weapon.

I LOVED how many times he won the ball back after we lost it in attacking positions, he's a fantastic presser.

IMO he actually looked better in the 2nd half when he tucked inside more, I think sticking him wide outside makes him more limited as he can only go down the line, giving him 2 options to inside or out they found it a lot harder to stop.

SteveW

Not quite sure why he's getting slated. Wolves resorted to fouling him every time he got it and his defensive work was great. Plenty to improve on but overall he was ok.

Reiver

I thought he did well. He offers more down the right than Mata and Lingard do. Having a threat down the right gave the team much more balance. I'd persevere with him and hope that he and AWB can develop a good partnership on that side of the pitch. Also, I'd prefer to see Chong come on for him if he is subbed.
Final ball/decision making is going to have to improve. But it still could. Unlike some, I haven't seen near enough of him to write him off in a Utd shirt.

BlahRules

Strange game for him to start if I am honest. It was well known that wolves would park the bus and he would not be allowed to use his pace.

We should have used Greenwood in this match, who has more to his game or Gomes.

If not for the above then Perrara should had played instead and James should of came on as a super sub.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
More than happy to give James a chance of course but last night he was poor in my opinion.

Apart from his tracking back which was really good, his forward runs and movement wasn’t great, I don’t think he managed one successful cross all game and he went to ground a bit too easily sometimes for my liking.

One of his biggest strengths in a way is that he has the potential to nullify the attack from the opposition fullbacks simply because they know how rapid he is and how we can hit them on the counter. However, when he got the ball last night at no point did I see him have any actual quality on the ball.

Anyway, I’m sure he will come good and he is an exciting player to have on our books, but I don’t think he should be starting tough away games like that for now. Palace at home would be a good game to start him though.

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
Best thing about him last night was his work rate defensively, especially in the first half. Just feel it was the wrong game to throw him in. Wolves are a tough side and think Greenwood would contribute more to our attacking at present

Nialinho

He's not ready to start every game, but he'll play a big part this season. I don't think anyone thought he would be a signing to come and start ripping up immediately. He improved in the 2nd half and tracked back well but he's obviously very raw and needs to smooth out some of the rough edges in his game. Thought he was an odd choice to start against a team like Wolves tbh but he was pretty effective without playing very well.

space

I like him, he is young and full of potential. The burst of energy he has is amazing. We should stick with him

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He's very promising. Still quite raw, but that's to be expected. Shouldn't start every game, but I think he's got a chance of being a long term star for us in the future.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I think that he should alternate with Greenwood on a 60/30 basis. There is no point bringing either of them only in the last 5 minutes of games. They both need game time and probably neither of them are ready to play full games week in week out.

Scholsey2004

I think he's one of those lads like park. Even when he's not getting much joy going forward he justifies his place through industry. His final ball definitely needs work though. Hits the first man in the box a lot. He'll be an important player for us I reckon.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I think that he should alternate with Greenwood on a 60/30 basis. There is no point bringing either of them only in the last 5 minutes of games. They both need game time and probably neither of them are ready to play full games week in week out.
Agreed, Greenwood looked completely off the pace for the last 5. Not sure how you can be expected to adjust to the pace it was being played at with 5 mins to go. I said before, James will obviously have his peaks and troughs this season and this was probably a low light. I did think he improved taking his man on as the game went on, final ball wasn't there though.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Best thing about him last night was his work rate defensively, especially in the first half. Just feel it was the wrong game to throw him in. Wolves are a tough side and think Greenwood would contribute more to our attacking at present
That recovery run against Jiminez was :eek:. Man alive he's fast.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
To all those saying he's not ready to start and should be a sub only - do one

I dont care if he has zero end product the fact he brings balance to the right hand side, is hardworking, is lightening fast and will win a lot of fouls automatically makes him head and shoulders over anyone else we may want to play out there

Listen I think it's obvious he was brought in as a stop gap signing when it became obvious that Sancho was a no go for this summer so get over the fact that he's not at that level, for this season he'll do

bondsname

He is nowhere near the finished article so naturally he isn't ready to be a starter and someone to rely on just yet, ridiculous if people are calling a flop already. Last week James scored and he was praised to death.

The pressure to play for United is insane. Feels like the United fan base have developed bipolar disorder throughout the years. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.