5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spark

Feel like criticising him is like shooting a puppy. Which is part of the problem, he’s just so weak and anonymous. When he’s in the starting XI it may as well be a starting X.

Can’t see him lasting much longer.

El Zoido

He's so bad. Honestly it's hard to watch at times, it's been a really sweet story since he came here, like a kid who had won a competition to play for Man Utd. He's had a handful average performances, scored a couple of good goals, got a couple of assists and that's about it. He wasn't even that good against Chelsea on his debut, and the goal he scored was a bit of a fluke, but we were all happy for him so it didn't matter.

He doesn't even look Premier League level, let alone United quality. He's got to be up there as one of the worst players for us in recent memory. Offers literally nothing and we would probably be better off playing with 10 men than fielding him, he's that bad. We really ought to admit it was a gamble that didn't come off, and let him go.

Last edited:

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
He really can't do it, he can't do anything with the ball at his feet.
He can! I know he needs to prove it at this level still, but there’s a player in there I got no doubt about that.

I do think a loan is the way forward though and Lingard is a better back up for rashford.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I felt bad for him, as it looks like his confidence was so low he didn’t really want to be out there.

He was supposed to do better starting on the left, but Mata on the opposite flank mad him look like he didn’t belong on the pitch.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Agree with this confidence gone, he’s so quick and I thought on the left he would be a nightmare as it’s his fav position.

Run at defenders mate, take them inside and interlink or feign inside and use your immense pace to make the right backs night hell on Earth, he can do it he needs to believe in himself.
Some players just cannot handle the pressure of needing to produce week in week out, which comes with playing for a team like United.

I think of players like Adel Taarabt or Hatem Ben Arfa (both of whom were admittedly more talented than James). In smaller teams, where expectations are low and where they get praised even during defeats for some nice skill, they looked the dog's b***ocks. As soon as they moved to Milan and/or PSG the form tailed off, the YouTube moments started to come less and less.

I have a feeling that if James moved to a mid-table team he'd suddenly look a player again. Its a totally different level of pressure playing for a team where getting 40 points is an achievement to where not winning a game is a crisis. I just think United, at this stage in his career, is too much for him. Maybe in the future it won't be but right now he looks like he can't deal with it.

wolvored

If Leeds offered the money back we paid for him we should take it. Lingard offers more and thats saying something.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
He can! I know he needs to prove it at this level still, but there’s a player in there I got no doubt about that.

I do think a loan is the way forward though and Lingard is a better back up for rashford.
Yeah. A loan to Bielsa could end up being a blinder for everyone concerned.

problem is even if we get sancho we still won’t have enough depth on the wings to compete in all tournaments this season

ti vu

Some players just cannot handle the pressure of needing to produce week in week out, which comes with playing for a team like United.

I think of players like Adel Taarabt or Hatem Ben Arfa (both of whom were admittedly more talented than James). In smaller teams, where expectations are low and where they get praised even during defeats for some nice skill, they looked the dog's b***ocks. As soon as they moved to Milan and/or PSG the form tailed off, the YouTube moments started to come less and less.

I have a feeling that if James moved to a mid-table team he'd suddenly look a player again. Its a totally different level of pressure playing for a team where getting 40 points is an achievement to where not winning a game is a crisis. I just think United, at this stage in his career, is too much for him. Maybe in the future it won't be but right now he looks like he can't deal with it.
Well put.

Even player like Depay who was more experienced with being the main man in the top team in the Dutch league admitted Manchester United even not challenging for title is too much for him at the time. We had taken it for granted with the like of Rooney, Ronaldo, even Valencia, Nani, Anderson...

Daniel James is hard working and all but it's not enough to cut the grade here.

ti vu

Yeah. A loan to Bielsa could end up being a blinder for everyone concerned.

problem is even if we get sancho we still won’t have enough depth on the wings to compete in all tournaments this season
Depth is not about putting body out there, but being able to keep a certain standard. If worse comes to worst that we can't afford to field our better players, then just switch tactic a bit and give youth chance then. No shame in that given we didn't build the squad well in the first place. Way better than paying money then losing value on players while getting the same bad result.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Feel sorry for him. I am more and more in favour of loaning him out to Brighton or Leeds. But then we definitely have to keep Lingard + buy 2 more attackers.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Depth is not about putting body out there, but being able to keep a certain standard. If worse comes to worst that we can't afford to field our better players, then just switch tactic a bit and give youth chance then. No shame in that given we didn't build the squad well in the first place. Way better than paying money then losing value on players while getting the same bad result.
Well he is basically the same as a youth player. His cost was totally negligible.

and all the decent youth options like Chong are on loan. Who would you promote?

we can let him go on loan or sell him, but then we still have a massive wing rotation problem.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Has looked well short of confidence and a long way off the standard required for some time now. A new player in and a loan out or even sale is the best solution.

lilcurt

How are we letting Gomes go, letting Chong go on loan and keeping this pretender? It's crazy.

Mickson

Has anyone, ever, as a winger/striker, played so many games for United and being so underwhelmingly poor? Can't think of anyone. We used to talk about Young/Valencia not being good enough. We have a new low. Not trying to be funny, it's really sad. Seems like a good kid. But what is this? When was the last time he played well? A year ago?

ti vu

Well he is basically the same as a youth player. His cost was totally negligible.

and all the decent youth options like Chong are on loan. Who would you promote?

we can let him go on loan or sell him, but then we still have a massive wing rotation problem.
Play wing back system, and give Laird game time for instance. That would allow Greenwood to play closer to goal too.

When we're haggling for Telles and Sancho, I don't see how his fee is negligible.

Chong going on loan, and Gomez leaving is partly due to we couldn't get game time to develop them ourselves having to try and keep this kind of players happy.

Denis79

In this form he won't get enough playing to develop, think he needs to go on a loan.

Robbie Boy

Leeds are linked with Ryan Kent too and would be much better off signing him than James. I don't think James is anywhere near PL level. He might be one day but even at that, he is never going to be good enough for a top six side.

Eddy_JukeZ

Just not good enough.

His top speed is really good, but he can't accelerate well from a stand-still position. A major reason why he can barely get past any player.

I'd sell him to try and recoup back some of the money.

kundalini

Dan James got 3 goals and 6 assists in the PL last season. Only 18 PL players made more than 6 assists and 44 got at least 10 goals + assists in the PL.

He's been in horrible form in 2020 but he demonstrated that he can contribute at PL level in the first half of last season.

Against Brighton, there didn't seem to be any understanding between him and his team-mates. Whenever he made a run off the ball, they didn't bother to pass to him. Other occasions he seemed to make strange choices, making it more difficult for players to give him the ball.

Last edited:

King Andow

He's actually worse than Lingard, incredible. Should never start again here, leave him in Brighton, give meaningful minutes to Elanga and buy Trossard.

Last edited:

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
The only thing that makes me have hope for him is that Bielsa seems to love him and I feel like Bielsa would be mad good at identifying players.

But obviously that's a terrible reason to cling onto hope for a player we have.

Untd55

He is one of the worst players we have ever signed. Quality-wise, he is not even close to good enough.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Should have sent him on loan and used Chong as a rotational player instead.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
So enlighten me, was that his ‘right position’ today, as I can’t keep up?

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
So enlighten me, was that his ‘right position’ today, as I can’t keep up?
He’s best as a wing back where he’s neither the primary attacker nor defender. Need to try him there next.

starman

i dont think we should sell him, but he needs games, definitely open to the loan where he can play more regularly and build up confidence. Playing bit parts, and then people bitching if he is not a instant success when he plays is not helping anyone

Foxbatt

He was made to look worse by Brandon. When he wants to pick a pass Brandon moves into a position he cannot make a pass as he is blocked by a Brighton player. The best is if he goes to Leeds when he can be coached to become a better player.

macheda14

Bebe 2.0. Cost more then Bebe too.
Far better than Bebe or Obertan, as a left winger he’s had some very good games but he’s never been played there. He just doesn’t know what to do apart from coming inside onto his right foot.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Yeah I mean we have a problem here. He does feck all absolutely every game. All for giving players time and can understand when players lose confidence but you have to show something! Think he may be on his way out in the next few weeks.

ti vu

He was made to look worse by Brandon. When he wants to pick a pass Brandon moves into a position he cannot make a pass as he is blocked by a Brighton player. The best is if he goes to Leeds when he can be coached to become a better player.
It's the case of pot calling kettle black. Everyone may make tactical error, but also have no redeemable quality to save themselves or help one another aka taking responsibility. What is the point them having these players? That's how low the standard has become. Squad players under SAF may be brainless tactically, but they at least having redeemable quality, in other aspect.

MadMike

Yeah I mean we have a problem here. He does feck all absolutely every game. All for giving players time and can understand when players lose confidence but you have to show something! Think he may be on his way out in the next few weeks.
Unless we sign someone he's going nowhere and even then he's still only likely to leave on loan.

We're very short of numbers up front. After M3 we have him, Lingard, Mata and Ighalo. With Ighalo leaving mid-season in 3 months and then Lingard/Mata likely to be leaving next summer as well (based on their contract expiries).

We're not gonna sign 3 forwards in the next 12 months, so even if he goes on loan this season, he'll likely come back to be a last resort option.

Web of Bissaka

Woah what's happening with him.

That is embarassing. He's getting worse (already is actually but you know..) and showing no signs of getting back to his best form.

Shot on confidence. His best game is when he's running with the ball against defenders. Now each time he's on the ball, he pass it back to his teammates, and when he's off it, he spend much of the time hiding among the defenders.

Terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.