Daniel James | Leeds player

lex talionis

If Leeds get dropped, James will thrive in the Championship, but I still see in him a tidy player who could do a job for a midtable PL side.

A point for another thread I suppose, but if Leeds do get dropped I’d love to bring in Phillips.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
If Leeds get dropped, James will thrive in the Championship, but I still see in him a tidy player who could do a job for a midtable PL side.

A point for another thread I suppose, but if Leeds do get dropped I’d love to bring in Phillips.
Do people still rate him as high?

Seemed like more people were talking about him at the start of his first PL season.

lex talionis

Do people still rate him as high?

Seemed like more people were talking about him at the start of his first PL season.
His reputation has fallen a bit this season and of course he’s been out injured for several months. He’d be a fantastic acquisition for us. Phillips is a Leeds man through and through, although it’s not as though we’ve never picked up an important Leeds player before.

jesperjaap

He's looking even more lost at Leeds than he did at united. No signs of improvement at all. A few goals and the odd assist are surely not good enough for their record signing.

It's not just Bielsa's methods and deployment stopping him. Many thought he'd flourish under the guy but that's not the case at all
Yeah some of the comment after he scored a coupeo of goals I foudn hilarious. He seems a good lad, works his socks off pressing, great pace, gets in dandergous areas...........but people saying we shouldnt have sold him, funny so many slate Bissakas end product on here. James simply cant pick a pass or cross consistently if his life depended on it.

He would actually be a useful player if he had some form of end product but its actually beyond not there. We took a gamble on him, he never looked good enough, I thought £25m was a great deal for us and nothing since with hiat Leeds has changed my mind at all

Kag

£25 million for this bloke might just be the best bit of outgoing transfer business we’ve ever done.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
£25 million for this bloke might just be the best bit of outgoing transfer business we’ve ever done.
I remember when the news broke and no one could believe that we were taking another team to the cleaners for a change.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Perhaps we should stop signing players based on former players' recommendations

Djemba-Djemba

Could tell after about 5 or 6 games here he was absolutely nowhere near good enough

I cannot believe we not only managed to get rid fairly quickly but also turn a profit on him, we seem to never do that.

Thiagoal

Strange bump. From the bits I watched I thought he played an important part in Wales success today

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Strange bump. From the bits I watched I thought he played an important part in Wales success today
Generally, he seems to play better in International football than he does in domestic football, whether that's because he keeps it more simple for Wales, or he's more relaxed I'm not sure.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
He’s a good squad player in the Championship at a very maximum. There is something seriously wrong that he was picked up and has 50+ starts for Manchester United.

City have better young players that can’t even get a sniff of their bench.

Dan James 70+ starts
Jesse Lingard 200+ appearances
Scott McTominey 150+ appearances

Poor choices of coaching is one major problem, but our recruitment is abysmal that players of this standard can rack up so many appearances at what should be an elite European club.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
IIRC, our record with James on the field was excellent. Our decline last season coincided with selling him. He used to shut down the right side attacks with his pressing, and coupled with AWB it means people didn’t come down our right side. We had plenty of other players who could score.

I expect ETH to come up with new solutions, but I think we badly missed him when he was gone. We had just enough to press teams a bit when he was here, when he left it fell apart.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
IIRC, our record with James on the field was excellent. Our decline last season coincided with selling him. He used to shut down the right side attacks with his pressing, and coupled with AWB it means people didn’t come down our right side. We had plenty of other players who could score.

I expect ETH to come up with new solutions, but I think we badly missed him when he was gone. We had just enough to press teams a bit when he was here, when he left it fell apart.
I don't think that's entirely true, we went up a level when he was eventually benched for Greenwood. Shame the latter turned out to be a vile scumbag.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
He’s a good squad player in the Championship at a very maximum. There is something seriously wrong that he was picked up and has 50+ starts for Manchester United.

City have better young players that can’t even get a sniff of their bench.

Dan James 70+ starts
Jesse Lingard 200+ appearances
Scott McTominey 150+ appearances

Poor choices of coaching is one major problem, but our recruitment is abysmal that players of this standard can rack up so many appearances at what should be an elite European club.
Add players like Darmian, Lindelof as well. We really can't be surprised to have next to zero success past 10 years considering so much game time given away play time to the list of dross players.. Extending contracts to always injured players as well.

Kag

So what about the games we won in which James didn’t start on the right hand side, of which there were many in the seasons prior?

I’ve seen some special takes on RedCafe in recent times, but putting Ole’s demise down to the sale of Daniel James is quite a narrative.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Was it James leaving or Ronaldo joining? either way it's very unlikely to be related.

James was definitely NOT the glue holding the side together :lol:

Revaulx

So what about the games we won in which James didn’t start on the right hand side, of which there were many in the seasons prior?

I’ve seen some special takes on RedCafe in recent times, but putting Ole’s demise down to the sale of Daniel James is quite a narrative.
Wouldn’t it be nice though if we could have some players who worked as hard off the ball as him but also had a modicum of skill on it?

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location

notsureifserious.gif

Beans

Supports
Neutral

I said it unbalanced a delicate side, not that he's a great player.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Was it James leaving or Ronaldo joining? either way it's very unlikely to be related.

James was definitely NOT the glue holding the side together :lol:
That's not what I was saying, I'm saying it unbalanced a delicate side. He usually played in the big games where our record was good under Ole before this season. But I don't have any stats on it.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC

Correlation =/= causation.

Idxomer

In the last game he played with United against Wolves we were cut open as much as any game this season.

He went to Leeds and didn't do any balancing, got a red card in one of Leeds' last games and could've cost them staying in the PL. Luckily for them, they were able to survive without him in the last 2 games.

acolyte

Why? On this one, it worked quite OK. We made an actual profit.
Except for the fact that we had to endure watching him stink out the place like 40 times to earn that small profit. Not worth it.

LDUred

Shrewsbury Town did not rate Daniel James. Shrewsbury Town. So he went to a League One club on loan, they cast their eye over him in training, watched him run down blind alleys, fall over and generally be useless in a Daniel James kind of way, and then after requesting his footballing services for the season, took the wise decision to entrust him only with the Shrews' drinks bottles, cones, and bibs.

Fast forward five years and he has played for Manchester United and something like 40 million has changed hands over the course of two transfers between Manchester United and Leeds. And now he's going to the fecking World Cup.

It gives you a weird admiration for the coaching staff at Shrewsbury Town.

The Original

Shrewsbury Town did not rate Daniel James. Shrewsbury Town. So he went to a League One club on loan, they cast their eye over him in training, watched him run down blind alleys, fall over and generally be useless in a Daniel James kind of way, and then after requesting his footballing services for the season, took the wise decision to entrust him only with the Shrews' drinks bottles, cones, and bibs.

Fast forward five years and he has played for Manchester United and something like 40 million has changed hands over the course of two transfers between Manchester United and Leeds. And now he's going to the fecking World Cup.

He would be great at that level though.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
He doesn't play for your club any more. He's gone. Lukaku is gone. Fellaini is gone. Let it go. Let it all go.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Why? He played at very good level for Swansea in Championship, somehow Shrewsbury town called it right? Also just because he wasn't good enough back then doesn't mean he isn't now.

He isn't a top level player but easily good enough PL level player.

RopersReturn

Good luck to the lad, you couldn’t fault him for his work rate and effort. With the right manager he’ll flourish and get you goals like TAA or Robertson.

Last edited:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think the problem with James is that you need to play a specific style of football for him to thrive. The Championship can afford it because it's far more open but when it's a bit tighter in the PL he will struggle to be consistent. He'd probably do really well in La Liga.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I think the problem with James is that you need to play a specific style of football for him to thrive. The Championship can afford it because it's far more open but when it's a bit tighter in the PL he will struggle to be consistent. He'd probably do really well in La Liga.
I think he suits Leeds style, also players get lot of space in PL when they play for lower table teams. They are not usually defensively tight games.

This season if I'm not wrong, he was asked to play as CF in many games, next season should give better idea on his performance.