Danny Rose | Rose: "I will play up North before I retire"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
We could do with Rose if we could get him, but I'm not sure I'd do a trade for Martial. Rose is good but has probably hit his ceiling ability wise; Martial's got a ton of potential and I'd be very, very wary of selling him to a rival.

Craig Ward

He really isn't.

Rose is one of the best LBs in Europe and part of the first XI in a team that finished in 2nd place in the league, whilst Martial struggles to get starts in a team than finished in 6th.

Moreover, LB is a slot that's weak for United, whereas you have good alternatives to Martial.
If you think Jose would swap Martial for Rose, your mistaken. You'd need to give us Rose, Dier and 40Mil if you want Martial.

Rose is as about as reliable on the injury front as Shaw, and Shaw is a lot younger and will get better if he is given the chance.

You can keep Rose, your welcome to him

prtk0811

He really isn't.

Rose is one of the best LBs in Europe and part of the first XI in a team that finished in 2nd place in the league, whilst Martial struggles to get starts in a team than finished in 6th.

Moreover, LB is a slot that's weak for United, whereas you have good alternatives to Martial.
Too much is being made of United finishing 6th.

Cliche Guevara

Not really, you can make all the excuses in the world, but we finished rightfully 6th.
We don't have a sixth-place squad, so in that respect it's not so relevant. We're probably top-two in the league and there's plenty of competition for a place.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He really isn't.

Your argumentation is insincere there. Martial's value cannot be bogged down to a squad player for a 6th in the league club. And you know it. We are talking about one of the most promising attacking player in Europe. And he's what, 6 years younger than Rose? I agree that we are lacking in the left-back department due to Shaw's fitness issues, but I cannot see how Rose is worth 50m when it's clear he wants out. Granted, the market is crazy, but I'd only see a team such as City pay that for him. Personally, I'd throw you Smalling and some cash and see what that does for a player who clearly wants out..

also, if you feel that you are a #2 team and we are a #6 team, you care to wager on you lot finishing above us this season? whoever wins gets to choose the other's new tag line.

Craig Ward

Not really, you can make all the excuses in the world, but we finished rightfully 6th.
Somewhat disagree, we faltered in the league but towards the end Jose gave up on league to concentrate on Europa. If we hadn't been in Europa, team wouldn't have been so muddled in the league and we would have got more points. Jose scarified the league

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Either way last seasons finish is irrelevant now in the new season. Lukaku didn't choose to sign for us because we were just one position above Everton last year, there's a whole host of factors that are taken into a count when you look at players and the clubs the sign for.

Only thing that matters when you look at league position (barring positional pot money) is if you've won the league, whether you have qualified for CL/Europa or if you have survived relegation. Not much else. The fact that both us and Spurs are both in the CL means it is irrelevant now that they finished 2nd and we finished 6th.

Either way, if I was Mourinho I'd be happy to let Rose stay at Spurs and be a darkening cloud in their dressing room. Not worth the money that Levy would want.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Because he's 21. If Martial was that unimpressive you wouldn't be jizzing after him.

Shaw is a fine player, it's a risk on the injury front but that's about it.

I'm sure he has thought about it and thought "what a fecking stupid idea"
Who said he was "unimpressive"? Not me.

You can protest all you like, but a swap deal between the best LB in the Prem and Martial is far from being such an outrageous idea. However, such a deal would be something that Spurs would have to consider very carefully as to whether they'd be willing to accept it ... and might perhaps want some cash too.

You say Martial is 21, but I'm always being told on here that Mourinho wants results now, which makes a LB in his prime a very valuable commodity.

PoTMS

In this market, the most Rose would go for is about £40m. For Martial, it'd be closer to £60m-£80m - and that's taking into account the relatively poor season he had last year, otherwise it'd be more. Why on earth would we swap Rose for Martial?

Rusholme Ruffian

You can protest all you like, but a swap deal between the best LB in the Prem and Martial is far from being such an outrageous idea. However, such a deal would be something that Spurs would have to consider very carefully as to whether they'd be willing to accept it ... and might perhaps want some cash too.
I'm pretty new here but you are seemingly either utterly delusional or an incredibly dedicated troll. Maybe both?

Dion

You say Martial is 21, but I'm always being told on here that Mourinho wants results now, which makes a LB in his prime a very valuable commodity.
It's an outrageous idea. You could throw in Dier and Man Utd would still tell you to feck off.

We already have adequate solutions at leftback, a wide player who can contribute 15-20 goals is far more valuable to us than a moderate improvement at fullback.

NoPace

2 problems with your logic.

1. Resale value: A 27 year old Rose, one of the top LBs in the league, is probably worth around 50M with the insane Prem tax (at 27, he'll have only a little bit of value in 4-5 years as a tiny 31-32 year old fullback reliant on pace. You'r talking about at most 10-15M for a player with that profile).

Martial is already decent and due to his age, you could have him for 4 years and resell him for a profit or no loss at 25 and it's not like he's injury prone, and his ball control and pace aren't going away, so pretty safe investment even if he ends up being a very, very good rather than great player, like Callejon or Pedro instead of Neymar.

2. United don't sell players they don't want to Spurs. If they want Rose and will pay the fee Levy thinks helps Spurs, we'll get him. If not we won't. Just like if Spurs wanted to sign Mahrez from Leicester they wouldn't just include Walker-Peters along with some cash unless they wanted to. That might be better for football, but it's just not how it works. Smaller teams get to ask for money, but they rarely get the most talented young players from the other side in return.

Joeace2020

It is as outrageous as it goes. A player who was bought for £36 million or so 2 years ago with addons United are still paying, Balon d'or clauses because of his potential and so on is not in any universe eligible for a trade with some Danny Rose who has probably hit his ceiling. Martial is along with many of his French buddies among an elite generation of the next generation superstars who WOULD reach their full potentials in a few years from now. The coach knows this, everyone knows this. He won't be prepared to leave a club where he can truly become a true Pl and European great to one where players make statements like "i dont want us to sign players i have to google their names. Not even a loan would do! You need to ask yourself "how many times has United sold a player to tottenham or even an exchange in recent years?" To think Shaw just returned from injury, played with the reserves and is looking good and there'll be suggestions of depleting the left wing by adding another LB and taking out a hungry LW with assists and goals in 2 matches and so late in the window. Can't wait for September 1st.

devil in me

Ive read some shite in my time, but swapping Anthony Martial for Danny Rose ....jesus christ. If Jose has ever had that idea then thats more worthy of the sack than finishing 6th again, and I like Danny Rose.

gr3yham3

It's really funny when Spurs fans think they have the best players in the league - can someone remind me what has Rose or any other Spurs player won over the last 3 years?

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Where is this Jose wanting to switch Martial for Rose coming from?

United Pro

So not from real life then. I though he said Martial and his agent was angling for a move the other week.
I believe Bouhafsi said that United rejected a bid from Spurs for Martial. But I don't remember reading that Mourinho was lining up a Rose-Martial swap deal. Glaston has obviously taken it a step further and said that Spurs may think about Martial+money for Rose and that's where a lot of this talk on here has come from.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
So not from real life then. I though he said Martial and his agent was angling for a move the other week.
This all originated from Glaston's infamous, yet elusive, "ITK" guy. According to said ITK, Martial had his agent flaunt him to all and sundry because he desperately wanted a move away from United. Though numerous reports to the contrary contradict this information, such as Martial stating quite clearly that he does not wish to leave United.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
If I caught it all, this made up itk has now said Martial is angling for a move AND Mourinho wants to swap him for Rose.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
In this market, the most Rose would go for is about £40m. For Martial, it'd be closer to £60m-£80m - and that's taking into account the relatively poor season he had last year, otherwise it'd be more. Why on earth would we swap Rose for Martial?
would be quite a massive fan revolt if he did that.

not sure about how regular match goers feel about it.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
That valuation doesn't stack up, not when Walker went for £50m ... and in circumstances where Spurs already had Trippier pushing for the RB starting slot: if Rose left the drop in quality down to Davies would greater than that between Walker and Trippier.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
2 problems with your logic.

1. Resale value: A 27 year old Rose, one of the top LBs in the league, is probably worth around 50M with the insane Prem tax (at 27, he'll have only a little bit of value in 4-5 years as a tiny 31-32 year old fullback reliant on pace. You'r talking about at most 10-15M for a player with that profile).

Martial is already decent and due to his age, you could have him for 4 years and resell him for a profit or no loss at 25 and it's not like he's injury prone, and his ball control and pace aren't going away, so pretty safe investment even if he ends up being a very, very good rather than great player, like Callejon or Pedro instead of Neymar.

2. United don't sell players they don't want to Spurs. If they want Rose and will pay the fee Levy thinks helps Spurs, we'll get him. If not we won't. Just like if Spurs wanted to sign Mahrez from Leicester they wouldn't just include Walker-Peters along with some cash unless they wanted to. That might be better for football, but it's just not how it works. Smaller teams get to ask for money, but they rarely get the most talented young players from the other side in return.
1. What does Mourinho care about re-sale value? He wants the strongest possible first XI now, to mount a title challenge this season. And Rose at LB for United would address a long-standing weakness and definitely improve your best XI.

2. I agree that swap deals don't often happen, not least because they're complicated to pull-off. And that's partly why I've said it's a long-shot. But the idea of Mourinho being open to the possibility is - in my view - not beyond the bounds of possibility. Whether Levy and Pochettino would be willing to engage in such a deal is another question.

cyberman

Jose wants this and that..despite there being no proof we're even in for him. Utd even insisted he wasn't a player we were interested in a day after his interview.
All of this despite Rose needing what? Christmas to fully recover from his injury? How would that qualify as now?
What a trainwreck. This thread should be burned in a fire

TheReligion

Abusive
Where is this Jose wanting to switch Martial for Rose coming from?
Exactly this.

Not sure why everyone is going on about this just because Glaston thinks the only way United could get Rose was if they agreed to swap Martial.

United don't want to allow Martial to leave. This is fact. Martial doesn't want to leave. This is fact. If United want Rose they have ample money to offer however I don't think they are interested in doing business with Levy considering he seemingly has an issue with dealing with United.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
No, because it would be mindbogglingly stupid. Martial is worth at least 2x Danny Rose. At least. Rose unlike Walker has come out and called it how it is, you can't keep these players, let alone sign top quality players, by not paying similar to everyone else. He's unhappy. Think Walker transfer was a bit more streamlined. I don't think we'd pay 50m for him and no, we wouldn't swap a better player either. But your manager might take one of our squad players as part-exchange, bearing in mind you can't sign top quality (in their prime) players because you don't pay enough.
I think you missinderstood my post. Martial is worth more than Roaenno question and I agree we can't sign the top elite players, it's not our transfer strategy. If he is sold he will go for £50M or more there is no reason why he shouldn't in the current market.

It's really funny when Spurs fans think they have the best players in the league - can someone remind me what has Rose or any other Spurs player won over the last 3 years?
Let's not start making things up, who said Rose was one of the best players in the league.

IrishRedDevil

In no world does a swap for Rose and Martial make sense, I'm laughing hard at the thought :lol:

Furthermore, Martial has said he wants to win trophies and medals so Spurs and their shitty wages is one of the last places he'd even think of joining. Case closed.

Let Spurs keep the unhappy Rose, it'll all blow up in their face sooner rather than later. Rose has been brave enough to speak out about him being undervalued so let him stay for another year or two and cause further discontent within the squad if Levy doesn't pay up.

Last edited:

TheReligion

Abusive
I think you missinderstood my post. Martial is worth more than Roaenno question and I agree we can't sign the top elite players, it's not our transfer strategy. If he is sold he will go for £50M or more there is no reason why he shouldn't in the current market.

Let's not start making things up, who said Rose was one of the best players in the league.
I think Martial would go for about 70m. That said other than a few so called ITKs saying there's a possibility all the facts point at him staying (Mourinho's praise for the player and Martial pointing at the United badge and posting on his personal Instagram account)

Glaston said Rose was one of the best in Europe and the best in the PL.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Glaston said hes best LB in Europe

I think Martial would go for about 70m. That said other than a few so called ITKs saying there's a possibility all the facts point at him staying (Mourinho's praise for the player and Martial pointing at the United badge and posting on his personal Instagram account)

Glaston said Rose was one of the best in Europe and the best in the PL.
I wouldn't say Europe but he's up there in England I suppose, but that's not saying much he's a good player not a work beater. I'd say that would be a very fair price tag for Martial. I've said before that the aledged bid for Martial was at best an enquiry, if it wasn't it would have been splashed over the media, with Jose coming out scoffing at such a low bid.

TheReligion

Abusive
I wouldn't say Europe but he's up there in England I suppose, but that's not saying much he's a good player not a work beater. I'd say that would be a very fair price tag for Martial. I've said before that the aledged bid for Martial was at best an enquiry, if it wasn't it would have been splashed over the media, with Jose coming out scoffing at such a low bid.
I think there was no coincidence that Rose was saying he wants world class players at the club and not ones he needs to Google and low and behold this alleged 'bid' is placed.

The media are briefed on alot of things, often to stabilise internal club affairs. If Martial was available and unhappy, neither of which seem likely given the noise from both manager and player, there would be much more in the press to suggest this than a 25m bid from Spurs from one questionable source.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I think there was no coincidence that Rose was saying he wants world class players at the club and not ones he needs to Google and low and behold this alleged 'bid' is placed.

The media are briefed on alot of things, often to stabilise internal club affairs. If Martial was available and unhappy, neither of which seem likely given the noise from both manager and player, there would be much more in the press to suggest this than a 25m bid from Spurs from one questionable source.
Perhaps but a £25M bid would only make us look stupid, and probably piss Danny off more. Who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.