g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Danny Welbeck | 2011-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
He's been disappointing this year, which of course will get swept under the carpet because he's a youth product. 1 goal in 15 appearances is poor.
He's been criticised week in, week out for his goals return...how is that being swept under the carpet?

finneh

He's been criticised week in, week out for his goals return...how is that being swept under the carpet?
To be fair every week he is praised massively, with a caveat regarding his finishing. It's almost taken as red that he can't finish his dinner, but that this will improve. I wouldn't say it's being swept under the carpet, but it seems to be an accepted fact, rather than something receiving large amounts of criticism.

Take last week, a fair few people giving him MotM, despite the fact that he should have been on the score sheet. But I compare a striker missing a great chance with a goalkeeper making a howler. If De Gea had let in as many goals as Welbeck has missed, he wouldn't be getting a game.

lysglimt

Scout
The strange thing about Welbeck is that he gets in so many good positions - he works so hard - it's almost strange taht he doesn't score goals. With some strikers you can clearly see that they lack confidence - but some of the things he does in the pitch oozes confidence. And then he gets in a good position - and makes a mess of it.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
The strange thing about Welbeck is that he gets in so many good positions - he works so hard - it's almost strange taht he doesn't score goals. With some strikers you can clearly see that they lack confidence - but some of the things he does in the pitch oozes confidence. And then he gets in a good position - and makes a mess of it.
That's not strange really.It's the same as looking great in training but freezing or thinking about it too much in a competitive situation.You have learn to rely on your instincts.He does the skilkful stuff around the last 3rd because there's no real risk but when in front of a goal he isn't taking the same chance

Cina

Dunno what to make of him yesterday really, it looked like a great performance at times but in the end, he created feck all.

If he sorts out his end product he'll be a super player.

AlwaysRedwood

Should have gone to specsavers mate!
I'm one of these strange people who expects strikers to do something in the box. Even if he's not going to put a shot on goal, he had two chances to make easy passes for goals. He did neither.

It stood out.

So, just okay.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I'm one of these strange people who expects strikers to do something in the box. Even if he's not going to put a shot on goal, he had two chances to make easy passes for goals. He did neither.

It stood out.

So, just okay.
He wasnt playing striker yesterday, more a wide forward

AlwaysRedwood

Just think that the team seems to play more fluidly going forward when he's in the side as he opens up so much space.
Right. But he's a striker, not a mid-fielder. If he's a mid-fielder, I'm going to judge him differently. He's on the pitch to score goals.

He's quite good as a mid-fielder.

golden_blunder

Staff
Right. But he's a striker, not a mid-fielder. If he's a mid-fielder, I'm going to judge him differently. He's on the pitch to score goals.

Great. He's still on the pitch to score goals.
Make up your mind

One would hope that he might get a goal but he was there to open up play and stretch Spurs as much as anything (that in itself is a tactical play). Welbeck played well yesterday which is why i disagreed with your post. You seem to be saying that if you dont score a goal then you may as well not have been on the pitch!

AlwaysRedwood

Make up your mind

One would hope that he might get a goal but he was there to open up play and stretch Spurs as much as anything (that in itself is a tactical play). Welbeck played well yesterday which is why i disagreed with your post. You seem to be saying that if you dont score a goal then you may as well not have been on the pitch!
Make up my mind from the two different posts that say the same thing: He's on the pitch to score goals

Okay.

I'll say it again, he's on the pitch to score goals.

Actually, if you read my posts, you'll see that I fault him greatly for missing two easy passes that would have resulted in goals. He's currently clueless in the box, making stretching of the defense irrelevant.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Honestly I've yet to decide what's his best role. He's tall, fast and technically gifted which is a bonus for any player. Unfortunately he's not a great crosser of the ball (winger) or a great finisher (striker).

He's definately Man United class though.

AlwaysRedwood

Can you not admit that Welbeck played well yesterday?
As I've said repeatedly, he was average. Because he didn't perform well in the box. You don't get to be great if you're supposed to be scoring or setting up goals and you don't.

Pretty much end of discussion for me. I'd rather he played against the lower half of the table teams because Hernandez, Rooney and Van Persie are all capable of scoring against big teams. Right now Welbeck is not. And yesterday he didn't make a couple of easy passes that should have been goals.

So, no, Average display.

MrMojo

As I've said repeatedly, he was average. Because he didn't perform well in the box. You don't get to be great if you're supposed to be scoring or setting up goals and you don't.

Pretty much end of discussion for me. I'd rather he played against the lower half of the table teams because Hernandez, Rooney and Van Persie are all capable of scoring against big teams. Right now Welbeck is not. And yesterday he didn't make a couple of easy passes that should have been goals.

So, no, Average display.
That seems pretty fair to me.

I'm a big Welbeck fan and have defended his goal scoring, but those two easy cut backs he missed yesterday do to a large extent ruin what he did outside the box. They were crucial moments and he has the ability to do better in those situations, so for the first time I agree with the criticism.

togg

he worked his socks off as usual and has so much skill. Even Ferguson admits that he needs to improve his goal scoring tally, so it's a known and accepted weak part of his game which for a supposed striker is rather a big one!! It's got to be a mental thing when a goal scoring opportunity is in sight because eveything else he does is great.

golden_blunder

Staff
I dont recall him having any chances to score yesterday

lets put it another way, how would Chico do if he was playing left wing?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
That seems pretty fair to me.

I'm a big Welbeck fan and have defended his goal scoring, but those two easy cut backs he missed yesterday do to a large extent ruin what he did outside the box. They were crucial moments and he has the ability to do better in those situations, so for the first time I agree with the criticism.
So am I. And its frustrating that his game seems to have largely plateaued this year. He needs to make better decisions in terms of going for goal, which he may or may not be able to learn over time.

RedRover

That's not strange really.It's the same as looking great in training but freezing or thinking about it too much in a competitive situation.You have learn to rely on your instincts.He does the skilkful stuff around the last 3rd because there's no real risk but when in front of a goal he isn't taking the same chance
Some players are born finishers - others have to work harder at it. It is, for me the difference between really top strikers and the rest.

Welbeck is a great athlete, strong, quick and direct. He offers something different. I personally doubt whether he'll ever make it at the very top level and be a genuine first choice at United, but he's certainly a very valuable player.

Hopefully he improves his finishing and can give Fergie a real headache in terms of selection.

golden_blunder

Staff
I would have thought it was obvious. Welbeck is taking flak for not scoring. Yet he played out of position on the left wing.

NinjaFletch

Some players are born finishers - others have to work harder at it. It is, for me the difference between really top strikers and the rest.

Welbeck is a great athlete, strong, quick and direct. He offers something different. I personally doubt whether he'll ever make it at the very top level and be a genuine first choice at United, but he's certainly a very valuable player.

Hopefully he improves his finishing and can give Fergie a real headache in terms of selection.
As I said earlier, I don't think it's a simple case of he needs to improve it, I don't think there's much to improve. I think technically he's a very good finisher, his goal for England against Belgium (I think) his one against Sweden and goals against City in the FA Cup show that.

I think it's a mental issue, he's snatching at chances because he hasn't scored in a while and when that goal comes he'll look a better player for it. I think confidence explains more than lack of ability here.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Probably because i haven't bothered to read the threads.
That makes the whole "[it] of course will get swept under the carpet because he's a youth product" a bit of a strange blind criticism then.

MrMojo

I would have thought it was obvious. Welbeck is taking flak for not scoring. Yet he played out of position on the left wing.
Personally I was more bothered by the couple of occasions he could have cut it back for a pretty simple finish for somebody.

Football is ultimately about the crucial moments and if you happen to be central to them and botch it up, criticism is probably fair no matter how much other good stuff you did.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies

So, no, Average display.
He played a huge part in setting up our goal.

ciderman9000000

Great. He's still on the pitch to score goals.
Have you considered that perhaps SAF doesn't put Welbeck on the pitch to score goals?

Should Welbeck to be judged by his overall contribution, or by AlwaysRedwood's short-sighted expectations?

ciderman9000000

At what point will supporters accept that Welbeck playing on the wing isn't him being out of position? He's an excellent forward, he's not a striker. Welbeck isn't on the pitch to score goals; it'd be great if he could add that to his game, composure in front of goal is something he lacks for sure, but he isn't a striker and his contribution to the team regardless of a lack of goalscoring is immense. He plays as a defender high up the pitch, such is his work rate when the opponent is in possession of the ball, his link up play with ourselves in possession is very good; he's not the best passer in the team, but again, with his work rate he's always available to receive the ball anywhere on the pitch upon which he's highly adept at control in close quarters, he both wins and keeps posssion. He's powerful when running with the ball at his feet, shrugging off and through challenges as he drives forward; he needs to learn to get his head up and spot the pass a bit quicker in these situations, but also his team mates need to anticipate his dribbling better; often Welbeck will run with the ball into a great position to find that nobody has come with him or made themselves available for the final ball. Overall, Welbeck is having a great season imo; goals would be a bonus, but even without them, to criticise him would be to not understand the game.

Xander45

Know-It-All Champion May 2009

So, no, Average display.
Welbeck has scored at the Etihad, at the Emirates, against Spurs and against Chelsea (for Sunderland).

Of course he's capable of scoring against them, he'd be more capable if he was played through the middle instead of doing a job for the team (and a good one at that) down the wings.

The match where he, Rooney and RVP constantly rotated around on the left worked really well and I'd like to see that again.

Status
Not open for further replies.