g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Danny Welbeck | Arsenal player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
If his best asset is that he can contribute to his team's attacking play I dont know what to say. So he can pass and run.

And Muller comparisons..
Better stay quiet then. If you couldn't see the difference in our play last year when Welbeck was starting, or just few months ago in preseason games when we looked like far better team when Welbeck was starter unlike in those one or two games whch he didn't start because of injury and which "coincidently" were our worst performances then you'll never get it anyway.

finneh

So the posts have changed from "he's potentially prolific when playing as a striker, see the 5 selectively chosen games where he scored 5 times..." to "he is one of maybe 5 attacking players in the world who doesn't have to score or assist because his other attributes make up for it".

The last time I saw this kind of revisionism and blatant lack of objectivity was the Kagawa thread last season. Also, comparisons to Muller? Even after all the work he does for the team he still scores/assists nearly 1 in 2. What's Welbeck - 1 in 4?

He's as much Thomas Muller as Antonio Valencia is.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
Better stay quiet then. If you couldn't see the difference in our play last year when Welbeck was starting, or just few months ago in preseason games when we looked like far better team when Welbeck was starter unlike in those one or two games whch he didn't start because of injury and which "coincidently" were our worst performances then you'll never get it anyway.
The biggest thing he's ever brought is energy. His actual play is nothing special at all.

Revan

Assumptionman
Muller isn't a bad comparison, although obviously he's not nearly as good. He'll never be a goalscorer, but he is very sure he's a striker, which is frustrating. As I said above, if he accepts his best position is not as a centre-forward he can become a very good player and will start most games for Arsenal.
It is a very bad comparison IMO. Muller is - in my opinion - the most intelligient player I have ever seen (and have said this a few years ago here) while Welbeck looks quite dumb (I am talking on footballing aspect, Welbeck has the tendency of making all the times the wrong decision). Muller is always on the right place, while Welbeck never is. Muller is a natural goalscorer, while Welbeck can't score.

I even think that the Henry comparison (which was batshit crazy) is a far better comparison than the Muller comparison.

Revan

Assumptionman
You forgot to mention that he's quite good at FIFA too (is he?)

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
It is a very bad comparison IMO. Muller is - in my opinion - the most intelligient player I have ever seen (and have said this a few years ago here) while Welbeck looks quite dumb (I am talking on footballing aspect, Welbeck has the tendency of making all the times the wrong decision). Muller is always on the right place, while Welbeck never is. Muller is a natural goalscorer, while Welbeck can't score.

I even think that the Henry comparison (which was batshit crazy) is a far better comparison than the Muller comparison.
I meant the comparison isn't a bad one because Welbeck's best position is in a wide forward position.

Revan

Assumptionman
I meant the comparison isn't a bad one because Welbeck's best position is in a wide forward position.
That is the only similarity which they have though. And share that similarity with thousands of other players.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
This thread :lol:

Some people just won't admit when they're wrong...

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
That is the only similarity which they have though. And share that similarity with thousands of other players.
Both are hard working players too. And good dribblers.

Come to think of it, he's more of Ji-Sung Park.

dirkey

Priceless, people talking about how we were far better with him in the side during pre season. Just hilarious rubbish. As someone above said, people can't admit when they're wrong. Proving himself to be an OK squad player, as a lot of us said. Nothing more.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
United born and bred. Really good if he can do well at Arsenal. The only problem is that he is at our direct rival.

He is still 24 and may still come back one day. Hopefully at his peak, and for free (he'll be 28 when his contract ends I think).

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Proven the 'haters' correct. A decent player who is not prolific enough to be a striker and not all that great in other positions... but he contributes with his energy and some link up play.

Those who have let their hearts rule their minds this summer and turned him into an amazing footballer when he was sold to Arsenal... you can unbookmark this thread now, he isn't going to score 20 premier league goals so that you can 'I told you so' us in here.

Not a great loss as a footballer to us.

Theonas

Scout
Proven the 'haters' correct. A decent player who is not prolific enough to be a striker and not all that great in other positions... but he contributes with his energy and some link up play.

Those who have let their hearts rule their minds this summer and turned him into an amazing footballer when he was sold to Arsenal... you can unbookmark this thread now, he isn't going to score 20 premier league goals so that you can 'I told you so' us in here.

Not a great loss as a footballer to us.
I have to agree with this 100%. Yes he does contribute to the attacking play as he opens up space for other attackers and makes good runs. This is where I suppose the comparison to Müller comes from. However, his below average technique in everything from first touch, balance, ball control more than outweighs any good he brings. A good player needs to have above average technique and he simply doesn't.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Pre-season football means feck all tbh. Welbeck is a good player at his best and in general is really average. Not enough productivity for a player his type, not enough goals, assists, dangerous passes.

Revan

Assumptionman
Both are hard working players too. And good dribblers.

Come to think of it, he's more of Ji-Sung Park.
Park comparison is decent. Hardworking players who can be ussed efficiently on pitbull job. Welbeck is better technically though while Park was a more intelligent player.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Pre-season football means feck all tbh. Welbeck is a good player at his best and in general is really average. Not enough productivity for a player his type, not enough goals, assists, dangerous passes.
Pre-season football in which some of the opposition were playing with a week or less of training, while we had started training earlier. It's annoying that it is brought up by VG and others as a sign of our achievement.

Mali_Zeus

:lol:
Sorry I have to laugh cause you're basing your opinion on preseason games.
And we didnt look better with him or worse without him then although as @kouroux said preseason means feck all.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Pre-season football in which some of the opposition were playing with a week or less of training, while we had started training earlier. It's annoying that it is brought up by VG and others as a sign of our achievement.
Even if all the teams had the same fitness levels and preparation, it still is preseason therefore the motivation and pressure levels will never reach the same of competitive football. Was the last summer or the one before that we had a great preseason but still started the season very slowly ?

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Even if all the teams had the same fitness levels and preparation, it still is preseason therefore the motivation and pressure levels will never reach the same of competitive football. Was the last summer or the one before that we had a great preseason but still started the season very slowly ?
We had a great pre-season last summer where even 3-5-2 looked pretty good but we then started slowly. Last year we had a terrible pre-season and still proceeded to start the season slowly. The moral of the story is don't look into pre-season too much beyond fitness.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I wasn't comparing our preseason games with competitive games, I was comparing just between all preseason games, so it's a valid point. I like how everyone ignored the comparision about last season, probably because it doesn't suit people's agenda because they know it's true.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Personally think it was the MK Dons match that Van Gaal really remembers the most about Welbeck, not pre-season. No surprise all our attacking players from that night are either sold or practically out the door.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Personally think it was the MK Dons match that Van Gaal really remembers the most about Welbeck, not pre-season. No surprise all our attacking players from that night are either sold or practically out the door.
De Gea too looks gone in the summer.

Ruthless.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Yeah if we expand on the definition of attacking players then yeah Evans looks gone as well. Ruthless indeed.
And that's more or less everyone. The rest of the starters don't have future with you either.

Think you're on something here.

beergod

Am I the only one who thinks his overall play and touch are overrated?
The way people talk about it you'd think it was genuinely top-notch link up play, but it's not. And he hasn't got a great touch (as many people used to claim), he's just capable of some great touches.

For me, it's his energy and ability to win the ball that makes up most of his worth. His actual ball skills are nothing special at all. Still expected him to have more goals by now. He might still have a season or two where he hits great form and gets a good return.
His touch and strength on the ball when carrying it in the middle third of the pitch make him look unplayable at times. However, when he enters the final third he has to start thinking and he turns into Bambi on ice. His best moments in the final third came during the few moments when he played instinctively, which resulted in some superb goals and interplay.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
No class, RVP didn't celebrate when he scored against Arsenal.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
No class, RVP didn't celebrate when he scored against Arsenal.
He's bitter/upset about the circumstances surrounding the move. We already knew this. Doesn't bother me at all.

MUFCpiffgawd

dont really care that he celebrated. playing for arsenal and backing up Giroud is sentence enough :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.