Danny Welbeck | Arsenal player

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLiverBird

Scoring a Goal that gets his new team to a Cup semi final....and people have a problem with him celebrating?

He hardly went around the place fist pumping did he lol considering the importance of the goal in such a big QF fixture I thought it was a rather reserved in the grand scheme of things

An oppotunity arose and he seized it to clinch an all important winning goal, he has every right to celebrate and that he did, he didn't do a 'disrespectful' job of it either, well done :)

ZDwyr

He was told by the manager that he wasn't good enough to play for United. If I heard that it would piss me off, and I sure as hell would be celebrating if I scored the winner which knocked that team out of the tournament. It doesn't mean he has an issue with the fans or anything. He got a chance to say "up yours" to van Gaal and he did it, who cares.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
People saying 'how could he not celebrate a winning goal in a big game?'

See Ronaldo's celebration, or lack thereof, against us with a winner in the CL QF in 2013.

That's how you show respect and class to a club and the fans who developed you into a player who now earns millions every year. He's more than entitled to celebrate but he's burnt the bridge now for a lot of United fans who were otherwise sympathetic to the manner in which he left the club.

I know RVP celebrated against Arse when he scored in his debut season but they turned their backs on him when he left and he got a fair bit of stick. Danny got an amazing reception and was wished well when he left and then celebrates. Dead to me.
:lol:

Right, because Ronaldo's celebration wasn't at all a bit of "look at me" posturing.

Anyway, are you actually telling me if Ronaldo had celebrated you'd have been annoyed? I somehow doubt it... more like you're just using it as a stick to beat Danny with.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
He asked to leave twice before LVG came.
Yes yes we know that and we know why don't we?

Just a reminder to the variety of people here, dotted around the globe, accusing Danny of disloyalty to the "fans" he's a Longsight red with United in his blood. Probably not good enough for us that's his only crime.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Scoring a Goal that gets his new team to a Cup semi final....and people have a problem with him celebrating?

He hardly went around the place fist pumping did he lol considering the importance of the goal in such a big QF fixture I thought it was a rather reserved in the grand scheme of things

An oppotunity arose and he seized it to clinch an all important winning goal, he has every right to celebrate and that he did, he didn't do a 'disrespectful' job of it either, well done :)
That's something that a lot of people are overlooking. It's not like he started patting his badge. It was brief, entirely natural, display of joy at scoring an important goal. Pathetic that people are taking offence.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
To be fair, if I scored a goal against United, I'd celebrate way more than Danny did... I'm talking waving my shirt over my head shit. Scoring a goal at Old Trafford against the team I love? That would be something.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Bollocks. LVG called him a sub who didn't score enough.
Which is still kind of true. Although I'd rather he was a sub who occasionally scored for us rather than one of our nearest rivals in the league.

Seriously don't understand the fuss being made about this celebration. It's not a big deal

TheLiverBird

That's something that a lot of people are overlooking. It's not like he started patting his badge. It was brief, entirely natural, display of joy at scoring an important goal. Pathetic that people are taking offence.
Exactly, there really is nothing in it

Erebus

Just a reminder to the variety of people here, dotted around the globe, accusing Danny of disloyalty to the "fans" he's a Longsight red with United in his blood. Probably not good enough for us that's his only crime.
I'm a Wythenshawe red with United in my blood but not good enough to play for us - does that make me worthy of some of the comments Danny gets on here? Of course not. I never got the Danny worship. Yes he's a local lad who came through the academy, but that doesn't make him a saint. I still think there was nothing wrong with his celebration though, - but he's gone, let's just accept that and move on.

Mali_Zeus

Yes yes we know that and we know why don't we?

So what part of he wanted to go is wrong?

Bwuk

Welbeck is probably a bigger fan than the vast majority of people on here.

I'm glad he celebrated, but not that he scored and put us out. I hate this whole fake non celebration thing.

If any of you were professional footballers and scored against United you'd celebrate too.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City

I'm glad he celebrated, but not that he scored and put us out. I hate this whole fake non celebration thing.

If any of you were professional footballers and scored against United you'd celebrate too.
I agree with this. Besides, I'm probably the only one who thinks not celebrating goals implies that it's "too easy" and is a little bit more disrespectful? I don't know.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
I'm a Wythenshawe red with United in my blood but not good enough to play for us - does that make me worthy of some of the comments Danny gets on here? Of course not. I never got the Danny worship. Yes he's a local lad who came through the academy, but that doesn't make him a saint. I still think there was nothing wrong with his celebration though, - but he's gone, let's just accept that and move on.
nobody is saying that he is a saint. He is a local lad that always worked his ass off. Fans love this kind of player and its really not that hard to figure out why those players are always fan favourites - in any club of the world.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
But I'm not partaking in any "Danny worship". I'm in the camp that thought, and still thinks, he isn't good enough. What I'm pointing out to some on here that accusing him of disloyalty is fecking nonsense and tthat he can celebrate how he wants as he owes the club and the fans nothing - thats my whole point.

United22

People saying 'how could he not celebrate a winning goal in a big game?'

See Ronaldo's celebration, or lack thereof, against us with a winner in the CL QF in 2013.

That's how you show respect and class to a club and the fans who developed you into a player who now earns millions every year. He's more than entitled to celebrate but he's burnt the bridge now for a lot of United fans who were otherwise sympathetic to the manner in which he left the club.

I know RVP celebrated against Arse when he scored in his debut season but they turned their backs on him when he left and he got a fair bit of stick. Danny got an amazing reception and was wished well when he left and then celebrates. Dead to me.
He didn't, in his debut season he refused to celebrate just like Ronaldo did in both games that he scored.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Agree.

MUFCpiffgawd

watching welbeck play for arsenal against West ham, how is he not a better player than he is right now? his first touch is decent, he's 6'and he's fast.

Sylar

Hes also only 24. People mature at different pace or come to their prime at different age. Messi, Rooney and Ronaldo have ruined peoples minds on that. A lot of times, people hit their prime around 28ish.

Theres nothing to suggest Welbeck wont continue to get better especially in front of goal. TBH, I think it was a mistake selling a player to a team youre competing with with that player being somebody they badly needed. It didnt make sense then and still doesnt make sense now. Even if Falcao, Wilson, RVP and Rooney all had 20 goals this season and Welbeck hadnt scored the winner against us, it was still bizarre decision.

Empire

How did he get on? By the time I put the match on he had been subbed off.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Was one of their best and most effective players I thought. Puzzled by the sub

Blue always red

Played Giroud in for the first goal and could have had another few assists. Still looks clumsy once he has to think about his next move.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Sums it up really, in dire need of goals and taken off.

OneUnited24

Was one of their best and most effective players I thought. Puzzled by the sub
See I must have been watching another game. Welbeck for all his pace and runs I felt he lacked that extra bit to break the deadlock.

Welbeck has this nack about him that makes people believe he's been more effective then he is

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
See I must have been watching another game. Welbeck for all his pace and runs I felt he lacked that extra bit to break the deadlock.

Welbeck has this nack about him that makes people believe he's been more effective then he is
His pass lead to the first goal.
Produced another good moment in the right at the end of the first half with that cross.

Not saying he wasn't great but certainly one of Arsenal's most dangerous players while he was on the pitch.

Walcott did contribute to the second goal. So who knows. But yeah Welbeck had a good game. I think Wenger was trying to keep fresh legs on the pitch.
Not sure missing a sitter counts as contributing.

FlawlessThaw

Did alright, you keep Cazorla, Sanchez and Ozil on though.
Yep, when you are searching for goals you have to go with the players who are most likely to get you one. Ozil's pass played a role in the 2nd goal and he was providing all the long balls/set pieces. Cazorla has been in good form of late and Sanchez is Arsenal's top scorer, would have been a huge risk to take them off instead of Welbeck.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
I thought he played better than Sanchez today tbh.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Yep, when you are searching for goals you have to go with the players who are most likely to get you one. Ozil's pass played a role in the 2nd goal and he was providing all the long balls/set pieces. Cazorla has been in good form of late and Sanchez is Arsenal's top scorer, would have been a huge risk to take them off instead of Welbeck.
In reality Welbeck looked more of a threat than all of them though I can see your point about them being more likely to score except Ozil. Ozil really did nothing of note in the game except for one pass, which was nothing out of the ordinary.

OneUnited24

His pass lead to the first goal.
Produced another good moment in the right at the end of the first half with that cross.
I think his assist was very forunate. Firstly I think it was a Monaco throw that set it all up but also the pass took gioud further away from goal. But gioud did well and got to the second ball so far dues.

My point with Welbeck is he gets into good positions uses his pace well but in those positions he's just so wasteful. And he had the whole goal to aim at and he picked straight down the middle where the keeper and defender are!

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
I think his assist was very forunate. Firstly I think it was a Monaco throw that set it all up but also the pass took gioud further away from goal. But gioud did well and got to the second ball so far dues.

My point with Welbeck is he gets into good positions uses his pace well but in those positions he's just so wasteful. And he had the whole goal to aim at and he picked straight down the middle where the keeper and defender are!
Yeah, you're just nit picking now. Can't be bothered with this.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal

No he didn't, there was a Monaco defender (Kurzawa I think) almost directly in front of him. He could only really aim at the corner where Abdennour was lying

FlawlessThaw

In reality Welbeck looked more of a threat than all of them though I can see your point about them being more likely to score except Ozil. Ozil really did nothing of note in the game except for one pass, which was nothing out of the ordinary.
That one pass helped them lead to goal they needed. So it's difficult to just ignore. Welbeck did look more of a threat but most of the time substitutions are a gamble and Wenger went with the people he thought were more likely to deliver based on past games and I can't blame him for that.

mattsville

Has great pace, strength, work ethic and a good football brain but I don't think he has managed to master his current physique, it was well known at United he was growing all the time and that was being managed by SAF, then he developed that beast upper body, looked awkward and then had a shit season under moyes, his biggest issue is he lacks balance, every time he attempts any decisive action in and around the box whether it be a cross, but more particularly a shot, he invariably ends up on his arse. He is definitely an asset and has an important role to play albeit in certain fixtures and in certain positions, he mouthed off at United about this but he is getting the same roles at ars now that giroud is back.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He's the type of player who if it came altogether for him.. could be an absolute star, potentially has everything and at the same time can't seem to make the right decisions at the decisive moments. Played well today I thought.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
That one pass helped them lead to goal they needed. So it's difficult to just ignore. Welbeck did look more of a threat but most of the time substitutions are a gamble and Wenger went with the people he thought were more likely to deliver based on past games and I can't blame him for that.
I can understand keeping on the likes of Sanchez, Giroud, Cazorla ahead of Welbeck but Ozil literally strolls around doing nothing.

Welbeck played a bigger part for the first goal aside from not being invisible for the rest of the game ala Ozil.

Status
Not open for further replies.